• Published 14th Apr 2013
  • 2,150 Views, 54 Comments

Perhaps Death - WritingSpirit



The Doctor finds himself stuck in prison, unable to remember anything he had experienced prior to his awakening. With the help of his diary, enchanted with magic, he tries to piece his life back together, not knowing what might await him at the end.

  • ...
8
 54
 2,150

The Dentist Brings A Friend

1024 AC, ? Month, ? Day, ? h/min/s

How far does one can reach?

How long can he stray from reality, before realizing the powers he was stolen of?
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Was it the gradient of fate? To balance out both good and bad?

Or was it luck?
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Was it luck that strayed me here?

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Fascinating...

Now that you think about it...
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Have you ever wondered, my dear reader? No really, have you ever wondered?

Alright, beside the fact that the girl sitting right next to you in class is glancing to your side awkwardly these days, or that your government is planning some secret conspiracy to cover up a murder, or that there is alien life beyond your world (which I can guarantee it is completely true; I speak from my firsthoof experience), have you ever wondered how a pony like me gets into solitary for no particular reason?

Now, you might wonder something else: why the sudden mention of it? To make a long story short...... can I just write the story here? I could never fathom how one gets the most out of only a sentence. Lesser details, lesser observations that one could make. Okay, maybe just a tad lesser.

Remembered the dentist? Yes, the blue unicorn with a toothpaste mane and a quirky little hourglass on her flank which I hadn't been staring at since our first meeting? It's true! There wasn't anything interesting about it! Nope, nothing at all! Anyways, one of those flat-faced guards came back to temporarily release me from jail. Temporarily. That means no escaping, all eyes on you kind of release. Irony much?

As I was saying, the guard notified me about another visit from her. Said she brought somepony along that she said I might be eager to meet. It might be an invented lie to coax me out towards her for another talk, but I don't want to jump to conclusions just yet. She is, after all, the only key to my past. Apart from this... Twilight Sparkle.

Trust me, I know as much as you're reading, and I am certainly displeased that this... old friend of mine (if I should call her that) hadn't had the concern to as much visit me yet. Really, when your only friend's freer than a lark on a midsummer's morning, you would've sworn she had gotten other fellow larks as well, their company replacing the one she solely depended on now stuck in a cage. Maybe she decided to join the dentist for this round of visiting, though I'm having my doubts.

Why?

Well, think about it! If you had a crush on your only friend in high school and supposedly she has a crush on you, then surely something must've gone wrong between the both of you when you know she isn't married to you! If she were, she would've been the visitor, not some pony who would tend to your molars! If I had a dentist as my wife, I'd give her a cavity, no offense! Look at all the 'if's I've written!

Alright, perhaps I'm more an expert on time and technology than on the subject of love, but it does make sense, doesn't it? Or is this not how love works? It doesn't seem right, how things were playing out. She was enjoying her freedom whereas I was just waiting for that chance to happen again. It will happen, sooner or later.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Will it?

Fate be kind.

One day...

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

The sound of the creaking cell door signaled the start of my brief freedom as I marched out of my cell, my escorting guard watching me with vigilant eyes glinting like the tip of the spear in his hoof. That's where this thought hit me: the fact that I'm in solitary for no apparent reason! Somepony right-minded like me wouldn't land into the dreariest section of prison unless he did something horribly wrong. Is it about the library books I stole for Twilight's birthday around... I dunno, two blasted decades ago? Were they of historical importance? If not, then how in Celestia's bloody horn did I land in here? I'm downright befuddled by all of it.

Again, I had to pass by the... commons, I shall inaptly put it. Ponies in orange uniforms all stared at me, blatantly calling me 'the fella who got his arse thrown into the cell'. Pardon for their crude language; they don't know how lowly it is to call one an arse. Yes! Much lowlier and fouler than Celestia's big bloody spindle of a horn! That mare points it everywhere like some maniac death ray, I'd say; no wonder she hired such emotionless, fearless guards! Anyways, I'm never the type to hang around these... common national criminals, but I must admit, there is a hint of envy in my heart every time I had to pass by their section. Arrested for thievery and slaughter, and be placed in open places; do nothing wrong, and be placed in a constricting, suffocating room of solitary confinement that could induce claustrophobia to a sack of potatoes!

That's Equestrian law. Makes sense, doesn't it?

"What's up, Doc?"

There was the dentist again, on the other side of the glass panel and smiling like a skimpy schoolmare gleefully waiting for Sapphire Shores to sign her autograph. I still preferred Bizet's Habanera or Beethooven's Moonlight Sonata and Fur Elise over such monotonous, repetitive music and no, imagining my TARDIS singing like that would never help. All those bleeps and bloops...

Now, the queer matter of fact is more of the pony right beside her. She is, of course, a face unrecognized underneath all that curly, orange hair, but it seems nonetheless she recognized mine. Her jaw was dropping slowly, her eyes sparkling like emeralds... or was it jade? Or maybe malachite? Which green are her eyes anyway? Alright, aside from that, she strutted forward, the dentist stepping aside before she placed a single, yellow hoof on the glass, whispering to me:

"You're alive..."

No I'm not, I wanted to shout. I'm a filthy dead corpse waiting to be devoured by a flock of deranged vultures! To be honest, I'm presuming that I'll have more tolerance and manners when I'm dead as a... haystack? No, doornail. Yep. I knew that. Alzheimer's really gets more on your nerves than in your brain. I was disappointed at the appearance of the 'friend', mostly because I expected it to be... you know... Twilight Sparkle, but perhaps this might be another mare worth knowing.

"Pardon me, if I may ask," I began. "But what is your name?"

She stared at me for the longest time, though not before the dentist gave her a nudge. I could only watch as they stepped away sheepishly from me, having a private conversation too far even for my sharp ears to hear, though it wasn't long before they stepped back to me, trying too hard to wear a smile.

"D-Doctor!" she stammered, wanting to stick her hoof out before remembering about the glass panel. "The name's... Carrot Top. I'm one of your... old friends..."

Well, that's something new, I guess. Now I have three friends: Carrot Top, Twilight Sparkle and this dentist of mine, the latter lacking the necessary formality to introduce herself still. Yes, apparently the dentist isn't keen on revealing her true identity just yet, like how I would call myself the Doctor instead of my name, Time Turner. A taste of my own medicine, I presume.

"Is it alright in there?" she asked.

"I beg your pardon?"

"Being in jail?"

"Well, I couldn't fathom the reasons of my stay here," I answered. Nor I could fathom why in the world would she ask that question. Does she think jail's all happy fun times, smiles, sunshine and honey bees? Of course nopony's alright! Yes, I do realize she was voicing out her concerns for me, but I was expecting something more along the lines of bailing me out... then again, she might not have the bits to cover up the insane bail fees the Princesses have imposed. For the dentist, maybe her salary couldn't cover the cost as well. Then, there's Twilight Sparkle...

"Pardon me, if I may ask," I began, gambling on the tightrope that is my luck. "Do any of you know a Twilight Sparkle?"

They just turned to each other, their eyes widened and mouths slightly opened, before turning to me, with the dentist being the first of the pair to speak: "Of course we do. Everypony knows her."

Seems somepony was busy, I murmured to myself. In Equestria, you can't become famous unless you're a) a world-class criminal that could slaughter a thousand ponies with a single swipe of your hoof, b) a famous superstar that sings about mares and parties in those raunchy clubs or the impossible c) an alicorn.

"I'm frankly quite surprised at how she turned out," I said, trying to be casual. "I knew her personally and if everypony knows her, she must have the power to find a way for her to get me out of here. If any of you could please have the earnest sincerity to just get her here--"

"Turner, we can't just 'get' her here!" the dentist exclaimed. "She's... she's extremely busy! She'll come when she has the time!"

Aw, that's so sweet. What a good friend!

"Well, if you happen upon the chance, do tell her that the Doctor requests for her presence," I spoke, making them look ever the more the uncertain. "Also, do ask her to bring a few snacks. I have a few cravings already. Farewell!"

Yes, the visit was a little bleak and my manners were... nonexistent, you could say, but I had nothing to expect from them. I never knew who this dentist was, nor this new mare named Carrot Top, which I surmised had probably appeared later in my life, but I can't trust them until they do.

"Miss Top!" I hear a voice yelled, my curiosity turning to see a bright magenta unicorn marching into the room; an acquaintance of my friend, perhaps? Flicking her purple mane to the side, she trotted up towards them, though it seems they didn't want her to be here. Queer... "Sis's been waiting for almost an hour just to get her porridge out, so Mom asked me to find you guys. And what the heck's with the faces you guys are making? Can't we just--"

She immediately stopped once her eyes were set upon me, fixed almost to the point where they started shimmering-- wait, is she actually crying? Do I bear such a horrendous appearance or visage that it could conjure the tears of young mares? A little poetic, yes, but she was actually crying! For whatever reason, I have no idea!

All eyes were now onto her, watching as she shoved through both of my assumed friends, heading up to me with a forced grit of her teeth and this glimmering glare of hate and despair. Suddenly, she slammed the hoof onto the glass wall (for once, I felt fortunate that it was there) that made everypony in the room jump, just as the tears finally leaked and crawled down her cheeks.

"I trusted you... You! I TRUSTED YOU!!!"

"M-Miss," I stammered, unsure of what to say. "I have no idea what you're talking abou--"

"YOU SAID YOU WOULD FIX EVERYTHING!!" she screamed, Carrot Top dragging her back towards the exit before she could pound the glass wall down and probably strangle my eyes out. The guards came in to help her as well, pulling her desperately out of the flapping doors, her wails bursting throughout the room. "YOU SAID YOU WOULD MAKE IT ALL RIGHT AGAIN!! YOU LIED!! YOU LIED TO ALL OF US!!!"

All I could do was watch, with a peculiar twinge of guilt in my heart, as she was forced out by Carrot Top and the dentist. Immediately, the remaining eyes that was once focused on her now glanced at me; a little unsettling of a sight to see, considering that you did not know what you've done wrong. With a cough, I excused myself and stood up from the chair, quickly marching out of the room and back into the commons before any of the pressure can get to me.

I, for one, do not know what that commotion was all about! Was it a mare from the sanitarium, or was it somepony I know? It seemed more like the latter; nopony from the sanitarium would have such a perfect act of despair that could make my stomach flip like that. There was, no doubt, that this was somepony I knew at some point in my life, just like how I knew about Twilight Sparkle. Four mares in my life... they couldn't all be my crushes, can't they?

We have the dentist: a quirky, jolly ol' mare with my exact, same Cutie Mark on her flank who gave me dental floss used for my artisan skills of arachnid architecture, having nothing in common with me except for my proposed theory of her use of her profession over her name.

Next we have this Carrot Top: a strange and perhaps more gullible mare (apologies to her) than the dentist whom I'd assume would be easier to stumble upon at a flea market, her aficionado perhaps in growing those orange vegetables that could easily replace Princess Celestia's bloody horn, thus her name. From the carrot, not Celestia's horn.

Later was this mare who comes storming it like a rabid Timberwolf, pounding at the glass walls and proclaiming oh so valiantly that I practically ruined her life! I usually would do the opposite, but there might be a chance I have ruined something. She is, no doubt, pretty darn upset about me being in jail however, for whatever reason I'm not certain of.

Lastly was the one known as Twilight Sparkle: a smart, curious mare who relies particularly on books like how I rely on personal experiences, and also the only one out of the four who hadn't had the decency to visit me yet. I don't mean to sound arrogant and all, but surely she must've known of my imprisonment, does she? Or did her achievement of fame clouded all of that recently?

Four mares...

It's not a question of how far one can reach anymore...
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

If it isn't luck that stray me here, was it one of them?

Was it their betrayal that led me here?
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Was it one of them?

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.