• Published 3rd Apr 2013
  • 1,670 Views, 106 Comments

Guardians - Pen Brush



In the end, each of you will die and only Celestia will be left alive." Nightmare

  • ...
3
 106
 1,670

Finding.

It had been two years since the Guardians had found the new creatures and began to take care of them. Since then, the Guardians had found many interesting things about the creatures. Such as they all could do a form of ‘magic’ for the lack of a better word.


Discord could make random things out of thin air, his favorite thing being cotton candy cloud full of chocolate milk. Chrysalis could change her shape and form to accommodate to her environment, almost like a chameleon but could simply change almost everything about her instead of just her skin color. The guardians decided to make her species name Changeling. Sombra could morph into a shadow and glide across the land before popping up somewhere else along with him being able to grab things with his magic as well.


Now the two alicorns where the most interesting. Not only could they fly and do ‘magic’, but they also found the moon and sun intriguing. Late at night, you would see Luna staring at the moon in fascination while in the morning Celestia loved to watch the sunrise and watch it set in the evening. Another thing that was interesting about all of them, was how they all could speak. Within the first year, they all were talking, not perfectly mind you, but they still talked.


They had been quite the handful for the Guardians, but they both swore that they would make sure these first forms of life stayed healthy and unharmed. As of right now, they are watching over them in a large field that was about a mile away from the cave they normally stay at.


“Be careful all of you. I don’t want to have to sprint back home to find the medical supplies again.” The first Guardian said as he watched the small ones run about.


“We will, Father.” All the little ones said in sync as they ran by. The ‘Father’ flinched slightly at the name. He had been called this many times, but was not completely used to it.


“They have come a long way since we found them didn’t they?” The second asked, smiling as she watched them play.


“Yeah I guess they have... Mother.” The first said smiling as he nudged ‘Mother’ with his elbow.


“I like being called mother, its kind of nice.” The second, known as ‘mother’ said.


“It still is weird to me. But I guess I can get used to it for now.” The first said shaking his head.


“They will be with us for a long time, plenty of time to get used to it.” The second guardian said.


“That is unless something kills us.” The First said firmly as he looked over the little ones. “We’re just long lived. Not invulnerable.”


“I know that, but you don’t have to be such a downer thinking about what might kill us.” The second said, frowning.


“I have too. You keep the moral up, and I keep us safe. Mostly.” The first chuckled as he thought a few weeks back when Luna just learned how to use her wings properly. “Well I guess I should say we both keep them safe. I mostly gather food.”


“Your thinking about Luna learning to fly correctly again aren't you?” The second asked, smiling at the first guardian.


“Excuse me for trying to learn from my mistakes!” The first said in a mock hurt tone.


“You shouldn’t give a pony with wings training wheels if they aren't going to be on the ground!” The second laughed.


“Okay okay I thought she was like the planes! I studied how to take care of and identify animals and plants. Not how to show them how to fly or swim.” The first said groaning.


“Animals are nothing like the grass they eat.” The second said, smiling as she started to watch the ponies play again.


“Yeah yeah, rub it in my face why don’t ya?” The first said rolling his eyes.


“I would if I could.” The second joked chuckling.


“So nice to know that you care for me!” The first said sarcastically as he watched the little ones run and tackle each other and laugh.


“I don’t think Luna and Celestia really are ponies, they are growing taller then Sombra.” The second observed.


“Well it may just be their genes or species. But I can almost guarantee they are a form of pony. At least if my research is correct.” The first said.


“Research isn’t always correct, you learn more by doing rather than watching.” The second said.


“I guess that is true. But still, I have been looking around in the books a bit more and may have found what they are.” The first said as he pulled out a small book from his pocket and flipped to a page with a small bundle of notes written down. “From what I read they may be what the book called ‘Alicorns’. A crossbreed of both the Pegasus and Unicorn.”


“I would love to see a pegasus.” The second said.


“Take a look at Lu-Lu or Celly. That may be as close as you are going to get.” The first said.


“I know, and even though research is good and the books are mostly correct, if you had made Luna and Celestia study how to fly for this long, they would just know the studies version, not the learning on your own version.” The second said.


“Okay drop it!” The first said annoyed. “I get it! I took the wrong approach Miss Gung Ho!”


“Ok, I’m done.” The second said, holding her hands up.


“Thank you...” The first said letting out a sigh and looking over the little ones again. “... What are we gonna do?”


“About what?” The second asked, looking at the first guardian. The first sighed again and rubbed a hand against his forehead.


“Well how are they going to react when they are older and they want to find others like themselves?” The first asked. “Like what happened to us.”


“We are going to tell them about what happened when they are older, right now lets just think about the here and now.” The second said. The first let out another sigh but nodded as well.


“Alright. I will try. But if you know me at all, you will know I won’t stay on that train of thought very long.” The first chuckled.


“I have known you our entire lives, of course I know that fact.” The second laughed, watching as Luna and Celestia started to fly into the air after Discord.


“There they go again.” The first said as he saw Chrysalis buzzing her wings trying to stay in flight for more that just a few seconds and Sombra simply running in circles trying to chase after Discord’s, Luna’s, and Celestia’s shadows.


“Always fun to see kids enjoy themselves, not like we ever were able to.” The second said ruefully. The first sighed and gave the second a sideways hug.


“Those memories are gone now. No need to bring them back up.” The first said simply as he gave a weak smile. They sorrowfully remembered their past for a while before Sombra ran over and bumped into the First’s leg which made him wince slightly in pain. “Ow...”


“Sorry, I wasn’t looking where my hooves were going.” Sombra said with a bit of strain. He only recently began to learn how to talk. He knew a lot of words and such, but had a bit of trouble sometimes when he was trying to make complete sentences.


“Its alright Sombra.” The second guardian said, smiling at the black unicorn. Sombra smiled and gave a wag of his tail before he turned and ran back to chasing the shadows of his adoptive siblings.


“I still say he needs a hat.” The second said.


“Yeah yeah, next thing you’ll say he needs a metal neck piece.” The first said rolling his eyes. “While we’re at it, why don’t we give Luna and Celestia big necklaces! Or even tiaras!”


“They might like that, they could be princesses.” The second joked.


“Yeah, like that'll ever happen.” The first said laughing. “Then Discord will be evil and Chrysalis will become a total bit-”


“That’s going too far, they are too nice for that.” The second interrupted.


“Yeah, I guess. Even if any of them turned evil, I doubt it will be malicious. Unlike those freaking scientists.” The first said shuddering. “I hate needles.”


“Now look who is bringing up old memories.” The second said smiling smugly.


“Oh hush up.” The first said nudging the second before he sighed and hung his head. “I just wish we found some others like us.”


“We were lucky I guess, if you count what happened to us as lucky.” The second said, frowning a little.


“Well let’s look on the brighter side of things. At least we aren’t dead.” The first said sighing and leaning back onto the grass.


“Plus we were able to make the land green again and find and protect them.” The second said, looking at the playing ponies.


“That too. But in all honesty... I am worried about one thing.” The first said as he looked to the sky.


“What’s that?” The second said, looking up curiously.


“Well I was thinking about how the little ones got here. What if more come? We can’t take care of a whole village ourselves.” The first said with a serious look on his face before it shifted to what he called the ‘Thinking face’, which was just him scrunching up his brow and frowning while staring off.


“I think if any more had come by now we wouldn’t have seen them, there could be more in other places, but we only found these guys.” The second said.


“And that begs the question.” The first said sitting up straight. “Do we look for them or just watch over the little ones?”


“If there are more and they have been left out there for awhile, then they are surviving on their own, they don't need us.” The second said, lying down on the grass.


“Alright... But when those little ones aren’t so little anymore, I am going to go take a look around.” The first said laying down as well.


“I will go look with you, we have to stay together.” The second said, closing her eyes and letting the sun hit her.


“Fine, but you know my rules. If you follow me, you run when there is danger. No point in us both dying.” The first said as he continued to look at the sky.


“I will, and I will pull you along with me, no point in either of us dying.” The second said, smiling. The first chuckled and shook his head.


“We’ll see. We will see.” The first said before Chrysalis thought it was a good idea to pounce upon him making him lose all the oxygen in his lungs. “Ow... Again.”


“Hello!” Chrysalis said as she laid there on her stomach. The first looked up for a second before chuckling and laying his head back down.


“Yes, Chrysalis?” He asked knowing she had something to ask.


“I’m hungry. Can we go back home and get something to eat?” She asked. The first looked to the second and shrugged.


“Or I can do this.” The second said, opening her eyes and sitting up, taking out a carrot from behind Chrysalis ear, “Whala!”


Chrysalis giggled and took the carrot in her mouth before happily jumping off of the first and trotting over into the warm grass to eat. The first shook his head and sighed.


“Never thought your silly hobbies would ever come in handy.” He said with a chuckle.


“Its fun to use magic tricks sometimes.” The second shrugged.


“The only magic I know is making grass grow... Or a rock jut out of the ground.” The first said.


“All you have to do is carry carrots around and pretend to take it out from behind their ears, not really that magical.” The second laughed.


“Okay I know that much.” The first said annoyed. “I just don’t have the patience to learn any of that stealthy stuff or slight of hand crap.”


“We both have different strengths and weaknesses, we can't be the same.” The second shrugged, lying back down.


“Uuuh... Daddy, Mommy? Why are there only two shadows?” Sombra said as he was sitting in the grass and trying to find the third shadow he was chasing. “I saw three!... I think.”


The first shot up like a bullet and began to look into the sky. He spotted Luna and Discord chasing one another before he looking down and saw Sombra staring at the shadows and Chrysalis nibbling on her carrot. He got to his feet quickly and did a three-sixty of the area.


“CELESTIA!” He shouted out as he began to panic. “Where did she go!?” The second got up after him and looked towards the right, seeing a small figure that way.


“I think she is flying right.” She said grimly.


“Wait right?.... Oh no.” The first said as he turned and began to sprint towards the figure, followed by the second. Discord, Luna, Sombra, and Chrysalis all looked to each other before beginning to follow behind, Discord carrying Sombra because he was still a bit clumsy. The first kept running until he found Celestia sitting in the middle of the grass staring at something.


He picked her up and hugged her close before letting out a relieved sigh as he looked up. Then his eyes went wide and his jaw dropped. “That.... That is not possible.” He muttered out.


“What...oh.” The second said as she stopped and looked at what he was staring at. A large dirt covered, corroded, and beaten facility with the faded words ‘Rad Free’ over the door and a large rusted sign that was barely hanging on it’s hinges. The little ones caught up with their foster parents huffing and puffing, except for Sombra, and all laid in the grass. Sombra stumbled over and landed on his belly between the second’s legs.


“Wh-what is that?” He asked staring at the facility.


“We were going to have to tell them sometime anyway.” The second said, looking sadly at the first guardian. The first just sighed and nodded.


“Go ahead... I’m.. I’m gonna go look inside.” He said putting Celestia down and walking over and into the facility, albeit reluctantly as he got to the door. The second sighed and looked at the little ones who where looking at her.

“It’s story time.” She said grimly, kneeling down to look at them.