• Published 28th Apr 2013
  • 16,004 Views, 579 Comments

The Elements of... love? - elmago02



After Twilight became an alicorn, her 5 friends started to act weird towards her. What could be the reason behind it?

  • ...
61
 579
 16,004

Schedule.

“We command thou to halt this at once!” Some pony, with a familiar voice, shouted from behind Twilight.

Twilight took in the expression of shock on each one of her friends, except Pinkie, who just kept bouncing. The others had their eyes wide open and their jaws hanging. When she turned to look behind her, she was as perplexed as her friends. There, an the entrance of Sugarcube Corner, stood Princess Luna, covering her mouth with a hoof.

Luna cleared her voice before speaking. "Sorry about that. I still haven't got rid of my old way of talking." She said with a sheepish smile.

"Princess Luna?" Twilight asked while approaching at the pony in the entrance, "W-what are you doing here?"

"I need to talk to you Twilight Sparkle, to tell you something before it is too late."

"What is it Princess? An emergency?"

"Well not exactly. I'm here to tell you that I... That I-"

“That you want some chimichanga.” Interrupted Pinkie.

“Uhhh, no.” Luna looked back in Twilight’s eyes. “I was saying that I... That I...”

“That you want a chimicherrychanga?” Pinkie Interrupted again while bouncing even more.

“No! It’s not that.” Luna took a deep breath, then a few more deep breaths, and closed her eyes before continuing, "What I’m trying to say, Twilight, is that I-."

“Want a Super Mega Gigantic Chimicherrychanga with double-”

“NAY! WHAT WE ARE TRYING TO CONVEY IS THAT WE LOVE TWILIGHT SPARKLE!”

The room was in total silence, not even Pinkie was moving. Just a few seconds passed, but it already felt like an eternity to Luna. She was starting to sweat. “Oh sister, that didn’t came as I expected.” She was feeling uncomfortable with all the gazes over her. Finally, the silence of the room was broken.

"WHAT?!" Five voices shouted at the same time.

“What?” One of the ponies thought.

Luna flinched a little with the sudden outburst. There were six pair of eyes looking directly at her. She was sweating a lot now. She may have been one of the princesses of Equestria, but at the moment, all those judging eyes on her made her feel like a little foal who had just been scolded.

‘Cough’ “Well you see, I was just...” Luna stopped talking, there was a good reason for it.

A pair of eyes made her feel more uncomfortable than the other five. They were wide open, in a expression of total shock. Luna would had loved to keep looking those gorgeous eyes, but not at this moment. Those eyes didn’t had their usual bright. She lowered her head, and waited in hope that someone might talk and get her out of the awkward moment.

“Well, there’s only one thing to do,” to Luna’s fortune, or perhaps misfortune, Pinkie spoke.

“What?” asked luna.

“We should totally have a party, I was planing to do a party today, but then Rarity was all like ‘Twilight needs time for herself’ so I didn’t do a party, but now Twilight is back and she had enough time to think, also, one more pony loves her, and the pony is Luna, this is so great tha-.” A hoof found its way to Pinkie’s mouth.

“What are you so excited Pinkie?” Rainbow Dash asked. “This only means that there is more competition. Who’s going to confess her love next? Granny Smith?”

“Next?”

“Hey, don’t get ma Granny in this, Rainbow.”

“Oh come on Dashie, each pony is free to fall in love with whoever they want, even the elder ponies.” Pinkie finished with a huge smile.

“Well Rainbow Dash,” Princess Luna started, recovering her confidence, “I hope you don’t mind a little more of competition. Or is it that you are afraid? And if I’m correct, I think you and your friend just made fun of my age.” It was obvious that the comment had offended Luna.

Pinkie just jumped around while Rainbow laughed nervously. “Oh no Princess. You look great, for being over a thousand years old.” Luna lifted an eyebrow. “Ummm, I mean, you don’t look older than two hundred years.” Luna kept looking directly at Rainbow. “I mean, I... You... Oh forget it!”

Rainbow dash spread her wings and started to hover a meter over the floor. “And I’m not afraid of any kind of competition. Yeah, you can be the Princess of the night, but I’m Rainbow ‘Danger’ Dash” The pegasus puffed her chest. “The coolest, awesomest and most radical pony in Equestria and winner of the Best Young Flyer Competition. There’s nothing to fear.” Rainbow looked back to her four friends. “All of you are so screwed. You don’t stand a chance now. Not that you had any at the beginning.”

“I’m sorry to discourage you darling, but you certainly don’t have it as easy as you think,” Rarity walked in front of the pegasus. “Yes, you are the -" She conveniently coughed before continuing. "—'coolest' pony, but you are not a good pairing for Twilight. She was born and raised in Canterlot, not to mention that she is now one of the princess of Equestria. Only someone more refined is capable of understanding her. And you, well, you don’t even know the meaning of etiquette.”

“If we are talking about being refined, then I think I’m the best option,” Luna said while extending her wings, the view was magnificent. “Who’s more suited than the princess of Equestria.”

“I’m sorry Princess, but I’m currently more suited than you for at that.” Rarity said while flipping softly her mane.
“What do you mean with that?” Luna eyed uncertainly at Rarity.

“You were a ‘out’ of equestria for a thousand years. You barely manage to grasp the extent of how much society has changed. Social behaviour and the way to speak are way different than before. Also-”

“We already have knowledge of that!” Shouted Princess Luna. She opened her mouth to talk again, but the frightened white ball in front of her made it hard. “I- I mean, I already know that.” She finally managed to say, adding sheepish grin at the end.

Rarity tried to talk, but she was too afraid to speak properly. All that was heard were a few squeaks.

“Ummmm, what was that?” asked Luna, bringing her right ear closer to the white pony.

“Ah think she said that ya’ still have things to catch up to.” Applejack intervened. “And Ah think ya are mistaken sugarcube. Twilight is not interested in that sort of things. She could be a princess now, but she will always be a humble pony. She doesn’t care for the sophisticate life. Ah bet she would be happy with a simple and hardworking pony, living in a quiet home.” She ended while placing a hoof over her chest.

“Ummm, girls-” Fluttershy tried to talk but was interrupted immediately.

“You are right Applejack, well, almost.” Applejack looked at Luna and tilted her head. Luna understood that she had to explain what she mean. “Being a princess will eventually affect Twilight’s life. At the moment, she is happy living here, I’m sure of that .But eventually she will have to move in with me - I mean, to the castle, back in Canterlot. Her obligations as a princess will be hard to accomplish from this little town. She will have to move to take care of the country.”

“Then there’s no problem.” Rarity said. She finally had managed to recover some of her courage. “My business is becoming more popular with each day that pass. If Twilight has to move to Canterlot, then I will go with her. I will open a new Boutique there. It will be hard at first, but nothing will manage to get me apart of Twilight.”

“Girls, the-”

“Nothing except me,” Rainbow landed in front of Fluttershy, interrupting her. “She can go and live wherever she wants. I will be next to her. So there’s no big deal. Yeah, maybe I’ll be a little busy with the Wonderbolts. But no matter what, I’ll just go and fly to be with her.”

“There’s no need for that,” said Applejack with a stomp of her hoof. “Twilight is a really smart and capable pony. She loves Ponyville. If there ever happen to be a problem with her being here, she will figure out how to make things work. And if she doesn’t, then Ah will be there to help her.”

“Ummm, that sounds good Applejack but-”

“Come on everypony.” Pinkie jumped in the middle of everyone, interrupting Fluttershy, again. “Don’t be all grumpy jealousy meanie pants. We have to celebrate. Twilight is back. It’s time to partay.” Pinkie pulled her party cannon out of nowhere and started to shoot in every direction. In less than a minute, the room was filled with balloons and streamers. “Perfect. Twilight will be so happy with this that she is going to be all like, ‘Pinkie this is the best party ever’, and I will be like ‘It’s all for you’, she then will answer like ‘thank you Pinkie, I think I love you’ with a blush on her face, and after that there will be some smoochies, then we will have to excuse ourselves and leave to my room where we will be all awkward, but then we will lock eyes, our faces just getting near and near each other, until finally our lust will get the better of us and my hoof will start to trace down her coat until it reaches her-”

“That’s enough Pinkie.” Rarity interrupted.

“Okie Dokie Lokie. Who wants cake?” she pulled something out of nowhere, again. It was a pony-sized cake, shaped in a very familiar and attractive form.

The cake had the form of a pony standing sideways with the wings unfolded. Everyone carefully observed it and only one thought crossed their minds at the moment, ‘perfection’. The cake was mainly covered with lavender frosting, what most certainly was the mane and the tail had a purple color with pink stripe on it. There was a pink star on the flank, with some small stars around it. The horn was covered with purple colored jelly, giving the effect of it using magic. And finally, the eyes. It was just as beautiful as it was scary of how real those eyes seemed. Some of the ponies started to drool, they were eager to eat the cake that was shaped like Twilight.

“Oh, Pinkie, that cake looks good, but-”

“Pinkie,” Applejack got near the pink bouncing pony. “When did ya bake this cake?”

“This afternoon of course,” Pinkie answered with a huge smile on her face, “It taste the best when it is fresh.”

“But, but you... this afternoon...” Applejack's brain was having troubles trying to process it. “The hay? When did she baked it if she was all depressed the whole afternoon? And ah was with her the whole time she was here.” Applejack thought about it for a moment. She finally let out a small sigh as she remembered something crucial, that this was Pinkie Pie, logic doesn’t work here.

“Okay everypony, time to eat.” Pinkie started to cut the cake but stopped for a moment to look at the others. “I want the flank!” She shouted. A few grunts were hear from Rainbow and Rarity. Pinkie started to distribute the cake. She kept the part that had the big star shaped on it to herself. “My precious,” she liked her lips and slowly approached her mouth to the target to eat a piece of it.

“Girls!” Fluttershy shouted from behind the party pony. This made Pinkie to drop her piece of cake that was just half a centimeter away of her mouth.

A slow motion force field surrounded Pinkie and her cake. The other ponies in the room just watched as a slow motion Pinkie yelled “My cake,” while an equally slow motion pastry fell to the floor.

“How does she do that?” Asked Luna after seeing an earth pony break the laws of physics.

“Don’t think much about it or you will get headache.” Answered Rarity while wiping some crumbs of cake out of her muzzle with a napkin.

“Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!” Pinkie shouted while kneeling on her hinder legs and lifting her front hooves. “Oh! The five seconds rule! I still can eat it.”

“Your shout lasted more than that, darling,” Said Rarity.

“Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!”

“Ummm, I’m really sorry for that Pinkie,” Fluttershy put a hoof over Pinkie’s back, trying to comfort her in her lost. “But I need to say some things.”

All the ponies set their full attention on Fluttershy, “Well, what is it that you have to say?” Asked Luna.

“Ummm, well, I mean no offence, but all of you are getting a little ahead in the matter.”

“Whuft do youf meanf ‘Shuay?” Rainbow asked with her mouth full of cake.

“Well, while all of you were talking about Twilight, you all talked like if it was a fact that she would choose you. That’ not a problem. I also love to think that she will choose me to live happy forever.” She said with a goofy grin on her face. “But the thing is, we haven’t heard what her decision was. Maybe she has already chosen one of us. But it’s just as posible that she decided to not choose any of us, either because she doesn't want any problems between ourselves, or just the fact that she isn’t into mares.”

Everyone’s gaze fell to the floor. They knew that Fluttershy was right. Twilight hadn’t voiced her decision yet. And here, they were already discussing their view of their futures with Twilight, discussing her life.

“Ummm, and one more thing.” Fluttershy said in her usual and quiet voice.

“What is it, darling?”

“Ummmm, anyone knows where is Twilight?”

Everyone looked around just to see that Fluttershy was right. Twilight was nowhere to be seen. How is it that the target of the affection of six ponies could disappear without them realising?

“Oh no.” Pinkie dropped her whole body to the ground and her mane went limp. “She left because I didn't asked her if she wanted to cut the cake and even forgot to give her her slice.”

“Come on Pinks, don’t start again.” Rainbow brought a hoof to her chin and slowly flied around in circles. “Don’t worry, I think she’s still around here. At least it is for sure that she did not left through the main door. Luna is standing close enough to it, that she could have seen if anyone went out. It is also a fact that Twilight didn’t teleported due to the lack of a bright flashlight.”

The room was in total silence. Standing in a mist of confusion were five ponies. And each one of them was wondering the same question.

“Did Rainbow just think logically?” It was a real surprise. The brave pegasus wasn’t prone to think much. Rainbow was an intelligent pony, but she’s a mare of action. Her normal reaction would have been to go out and look for Twilight.

Rainbow landed and saw that the others were looking at her, their faces twisted in expression of total confusion. “What?” she asked.

Applejack shook her head, “Nothin’ sugarcube. Now, if Twilight is still here then, where is she?”

“Oh my poor Twilight. She was so confused after we confessed our love. And now that Luna did the same, she must be frightened after all that has happened. Oh!” Rarity lifted a hoof to her forehead. “I can see her, curled in the shadows like a little kitten. Oh my poor Sparkle Kitten!”

“Stop the drama sugarcube, but maybe ya are right. Maybe she went to hide after we started our little discussion.”

“Discussion?” Asked Rainbow. “We didn’t even got to shout.”

“Princess Luna shouted,” said Pinkie. “And she shouted three times.”

“Well, I-I wasn’t trying to-”

“Forget it Princess. Let’s find Twilight first.”

“Found her.” said Pinkie.

A lavender mare was sitting behind the shop’s counter, her back against it. The saddlebags she was carrying were in front of her. She had her hooves on her head. The other six ponies approached her. They could see that the mare was shivering. They managed to hear her mumbling something.

“No, no, no, no....”

“Twilight?” Rarity was the first to speak. “Are you okay?”

“No.” Twilight answered without looking back. “How can I be okay after what just happened?”

The six ponies that were standing on the other side of the counter looked at each other. All of them felt guilty.

“Twilight Sparkle,” Princess Luna lifted one of her front hooves in an attempt to approach the mare that was sitting on the floor, but kept her distance. “I’m sorry for what just happened. That discussion was just-”

“My whole schedule is ruined!” Twilight interrupted with a shout.

Everypony in the room was quiet for a moment. After a few seconds, Fluttershy talked. “Ummm, what schedule?”

“What schedule?” Twilight looked back at fluttershy. She used her magic to open one of the pockets of her saddlebags and grabbed a scroll. Twilight unrolled the scroll and levitated it so the others could see it. The paper had the names of five ponies. In front of each one of the names were some dates.

“While I was in the train parting from Canterlot, I wrote this schedule. That’s what I was going to say the moment before the princess...” Twilight stopped with a blush on her face. “Before she shared her feelings.” She shook her head and continued. “But now this whole thing is a disaster. I can’t keep up with this!” Twilight started to shout hysterically. “There’s a mayor problem at hoof right now! This schedule needs to be reworked!” Twilight started to breath heavily. “Or possibly everything in what I have been thinking about needs to be redone. The confession of Luna changed everything! And what if what Rainbow said is right! What if there is a next pony to confess?!”

“Twilight, that won't happen. That was just a inoffensive comment, a joke.” said Rainbow. Luna cleared her voice. “Ummmm, well, “almost” inoffensive.”

“Did you know two days ago that the other four had... had... had feelings towards me?” she asked with a blush.

“Well, no but-”

“Did you know that Princess Luna was going to confess?!” She yelled with an almost maniatical expression.

“No but-”

“See?! You can’t be sure that there won’t be another pony confessing!” She lowered her head and set her hooves on her temples. “You understand how much of a problem this is?!” Twilight paused to take a deep breath. “I may never be able to make a proper schedule if this keeps up!”

“So, what ya are tellin’ us is that ya are upset and panickin’ because yer schedule is ruined, and not because of the fact that there could be more ponies onto ya?” Twilight nodded.

“And something even worse than that.”

“Yes?” Everyone asked.

“I haven’t studied or read a book in two days!”

There were some facehooves in the room, but everyone felt that some tension lifted from their shoulders. What Twilight had just said meant that she was willing to give everyone a chance. That she was so serious about this that she was willing to stop reading. That she was going to have some alone time with them.

“S-sugarcube, you need a rest. It’s been a long day fer ya.”

“But I need to reschedule everything!”

“Ummm, Twilight, please.” Fluttershy talked, but at the moment Twilight locked eyes with her, she hid behind her mane. “Ummm, just go to sleep. You must be exhausted. ” Twilight was about to retort when Fluttershy continued. “It’ll be hard to think a perfect new schedule this exhausted.”

Twilight gave a it a thought. After a moment she let out a small sigh. “I guess you are right.” Twilight calmed down little by little.

“Yes, d-darling, we can keep this conversation later.”

“Yeah.” Twilight stood up and took her saddlebags with her magic. “I guess I’ll see you later.”

Twilight trotted to the exit and opened the door with her magic. She turned to say goodbye to everyone. As she did this, she saw that the others were looking at her back, more precisely, they were looking at her flank. “Hey!” The other ponies immediately averted their gaze and started to act like nothing had happened.

Twilight gave another sigh. “This will be hard.” She clarified her voice to pick the attention of the others, “Goodbye girls.”
The others said goodbye to Twilight and watched her leave.

“Ok,” Rarity said when she was sure that Twilight couldn’t hear. “We need to talk. We now know that Twilight is willing to give us chance, and I think I’m not the only one that will try to gain some points with Twilight before her, ummm, schedule is done. Right, Rainbow and Pinkie?”


Twilight walked back to her home. She was moving slow. Her head was filled with all that had happened and what she had just told Rainbow. “I’m being paranoid. There won’t be more ponies confessing. My new schedule will be done in no time.”

“Oh, Twilight!”

Twilight turned her head to look at a gray pegasus with blonde mane that flew towards her. “Hey Derpy. What’s up?”

Derpy landed a meter away from Twilight. She looked at Twilight’s eyes but immediately averted her gaze, she started to fidget the floor with one hoof. “Well Twilight. I-I just wanted to say that... that...”

The way Derpy was acting felt really strange. Twilight started to analyze her behaviour. It suddenly hit her. “Oh no. She’s not going to confess, right?”

“Well, after we met yesterday, I just realized that... that...”

“She’s going to confess, she’s totally going to confess!” Twilight breath was harsh. Her eyes were wide open. Her heart was beating hard. Her face was taking a small tint of pink that was barely visible in the night.

“That I love...”
“Oh Celestia, what’s up with everyone?! Goodbye to a perfect schedule.”

Derpy paused, took a deep breath and finally. “That I love pies more than muffins now!” Derpy finally managed to say. It was hard for her to admit it. “Where did you buy that apple pie?”

Twilight stood still for almost a minute. She slowly moved to the gray mare. When she was finally next to her, she gave her a big hug. “Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you.” Twilight was almost crying from happiness. It made her so happy not being loved.

“Ummm, so, you love pies better than muffins too?” It was hard for Derpy to talk while she was being hugged so hard.
Twilight gave a light chuckle and let go derpy. “Yes Derpy. And I bought the pie from the Sugarcube Corner.”

“Great, thanks Twilight. See you later.” Derpy took off to the dark sky.

Twilight waved at the pegasus and then continued her walk to her home.


When Twilight finally arrived to the library she heard her number one assistant talking at the other side of the door.
“Oh come on. Double or nothing. Please.”

Twilight opened the door to see a little baby dragon kneeling in front of an owl that was standing over a small pile of gems.
“Spike. Were you betting again with Owlowiscious?”

The surprised dragon turned his head to look at the pony that had entered the room. “Twilight! We were just-”

“Save it Spike. How many times have I told you to not play blackjack against him. He’s too smart.”

Spike sighed. “I know Twilight. This won’t happen again.”

“Good. Now I’m going directly to bed. It’s been a long day.” Twilight started to walk towards the stairs.

“Oh! How was your talk with the princess?”

Twilight stopped and looked back. “It was good. She helped a lot. She told me to give a chance to the others.”

“Even to Rarity?”

“Ummmmmmm, yes?”

Spike crossed his arms. “Twilight, How could you? Pals don’t steal other pals chicks!”

“Spike I’m sorry but- Wait? Pals, chicks?”

“Don’t change the subject.”

“Oh, well. Ummmm, Spike, I will talk to Rarity so she can sort this with you.” Twilight opened her mouth to let a yawn out. “I’m really tired right now. Let’s talk about this tomorrow. Goodnight Spike, goodnight Owlowiscious.”

“Goodnight Twilight.” Spike watched Twilight walk up the stairs and then heard the door being closed.

“Oh, I forgot to tell Twilight that the elements were acting weird this afternoon.” Spike looked at the five golden necklace that were shining. Spike got closer and looked at the element of laughter, “This afternoon, Pinkie’s element kept shining and switching off.” Spike kept thinking about it. At the moment, the elements had a small amount of light coming from them that was barely perceptible, but it was a light that wasn’t there before. “Hummmm. Well, I think is nothing. They look okay now.”

Spike walked back to the table. “Ok Owlowiscious. What you say? Triple or nothing. I’m going to get back those babies.”

“Who?”

“Me.”

Who?”

“Me! Spike!”

“Who?”

“Ugh, just deal the cards.”


The whole town was in total darkness right now. Well, almost total darkness. Sugarcube Corner still had light coming from it. Six ponies were standing in a circle inside the shop.

“So, we all agree?” Asked Rarity.

“Yes.” Came the answer of five ponies.

“Very good. All’s fair in love and war. We all love Twilight. So this is war between us. From this moment onwards, we are rivals.”

“Umm, so we are no longer friends?” Asked Fluttershy.

Rarity gave a light chuckle. “Darling, is just a way to say it. We are still friends. But we are also rivals in love. This will only consist of who manage to get Twilight’s affection before the others. Everything’s fair until she has an answer. And after that, no hard feelings. Right?”

“Right.”

“So our competition starts now.”

Everyone reached a hoof to the center. “May the best mare win!”

“Oh! Before you leave. Could you help me clean the shop. The Cakes will scold me if they see all the streamers and the...” Pinkie gulped, her eyes turning watery, “cake on the floor.”

Author's Note:

Well people. In a lot of comments I have read that a herd would be the perfect solution. Some people want Luna, a few others want Rainbow. Haven't heard anything about the others. It's just for curiosity, that won't affect how I'm planing things. I want to know who is the least... favorite.
Also, if you see any errors in the story, please comment. Just want to make this story as good as possible.