• Published 28th Apr 2013
  • 16,008 Views, 579 Comments

The Elements of... love? - elmago02



After Twilight became an alicorn, her 5 friends started to act weird towards her. What could be the reason behind it?

  • ...
61
 579
 16,008

A feeling

Twilight woke up as she felt a small amount of pain coming from her back. She slowly sat up as she opened her eyes and turned her head to look at the source of the pain. After taking a look she just dropped her head and sighed. "Not again," she said as she got out from her bed, the small amount of pain she felt was coming from her new wings, it had been a week since she became an alicorn but she still had trouble sleeping at night, this being the third time she woke up to find a sore wing. When would she learn how to sleep without damaging her wings? She just hoped that she would learn how to sleep without putting her wings to sleep soon.

She stretched her wings for a few minutes, moaning in content as the pain faded away. After this, she was wide awake. "Well, time to start the day, I have a good feeling about today." a racket came from the first floor of the library, she sighed as she made her way to the stairs, "Not again."

As Twilight descended the stairs, she saw a little dragon chasing an owl through the library. "Come back you coward!" The little dragon exclaimed.

"Spike!" Twilight shouted as the little dragon jumped in an attempt to grab his flying target. Spike had almost caught Owlowiscious, but the shout startled him and instead, he just landed with a loud thump to the floor. "Why are you fighting?" The alicorn asked with an authoritative tone.

"He's being a jerk!" Spike exclaimed as he stood up, glaring daggers at the owl, who had just landed at the top of a bookshelf . "I asked him to go wake you up for breakfast, and he just kept asking 'Who?'"

"Who?" said Owlowiscious.

"Aaaaaghhhhh!!" Spike shouted while running to the bookshelf. "Come here you piece of-"

"Spike, just drop it!"

"But Twi-"

"Just drop it," Twilight said while stomping her hoof on the floor, "just stop before you two start messing up everything like yesterday. You almost broke the Element’s crystal display." Twilight pointed at the five golden necklaces and the golden tiara that were placed next to the library's stair.

"I... I'm sorry Twilight." Spike said as he dropped his head to the floor.

"It's okay Spike, " she said as she walked close to the dragon and nuzzled him, "just go and make up with Owlowiscious."

Spike pulled away and nodded at Twilight, he walked to the bookshelf at which his nocturnal feathered friend was, just stopping one meter away from it, he looked up before he apologized. "I'm sorry."

"Who?"

"You son of a-"

"Spike!"

"Agh! Just forget it, I'm going back to bed." Spike went upstairs with a frown on his face.


Twilight took some time to clean up the little mess from the fight from earlier and after she ate the magnificent breakfast that her number one assistant had prepared for her, she left her home and started to walk towards the market. She wasn't going there to buy anything, she was going there hoping she could meet one of her friends.

Yesterday she hadn't met with anyone because she had stayed at home to read some important documents about Equestria that she needed to know now that she was a princess. However, today she had decided to take a break, and she knew that Applejack was in charge of the apple stand that morning. "I have a good feeling about today." She thought.

As she walked, she saw a white cloud in the sky disappear with a 'poof' and when she looked closer, she saw the iconic prismatic mane and tail of a certain cyan coated pegasus. Twilight smiled at the sight of one of her friends and started to flap her wings. It took a moment, but she was now flying a few centimeters off the ground, now moving her wings faster she flew directly towards her friend.

She was moving slowly, after all, it had only been a week since she grew a pair of wings, actually, it was surprising how well she was doing it considering the short amount of time. It helped a lot that she had read some books about pegasis anatomy and aerodynamic concepts in the past and that she was good putting into practice what she learned. "Woah, woow!" She yelled as she almost fell to the ground after a small wind passed her. Well, you need practice before you can do something perfect.

"Rainbow Dash!" Twilight called out to her friend as she was getting closer.

Rainbow Dash was about to buck a cloud when she got startled by the alicorn, causing her to hit the cloud in the wrong place. A bolt of lightning shot from the cumulus towards the ground, barely missed a couple that was passing by, a few seconds passed as the couple tried to calm down after nearly getting electrocuted, they glared furiously at Rainbow.

"Whoops," Rainbow smiled awkwardly, placing her hoof at the back of her head, "sorry."

"Hey Rainbow," Twilight said flying next to her friend, "I'm sorry for scaring you."

"Y-you, scaring The Dash?" Rainbow laughed, Twilight thought there was a little amount of nervousness in there. "Pssst, no, no, no, nothing scares me, I-I'm the bravest pony in all Equestria." Rainbow waved her front hooves around more than necessary while giving a weird smile.

"Rainbow, are you okay?" Twilight asked, giving her friend a confused look."You're acting kind of weird."

"Me? Acting weird? Nonononono." the cyan pegasus shook her head at full speed.

"Are you sure? maybe you are a little sick." The alicorn started to close the distance between the two mares, raising a hoof to touch the pegasus forehead, but she wasn't able to reach her objective, the pegasus was slowly flying away.

"I'mtotallyok,notsickatall,lookatthetime,gottogo,havetotakeoversomeclouds." As she finished, Rainbow flew away at full speed, Twilight just looked in confusion as her cyan friend flew to the distance, ignoring the clouds that she was supposed to take over.

"Well, that was weird." Twilight said to herself as she resumed her way to the market, she advanced a good distance before landing, she enjoyed to fly but it was tiring, she waited a few seconds before she started her walk.


Twilight finally arrived to the market, some ponies waved at her while others bowed when she got close to them. Her new status as a princess was well know in Equestria, she felt a little uncomfortable as they bowed. She had asked to the ponies in town to just treat her as usual. Some ponies did as she asked, others just continued their reverence, Twilight was reluctant in the beginning about their actions, but she had started to enjoy it. "I have a good feeling."

She was getting closer to the apple stand when a grin appeared on her face, not only was the country pony there, a white unicorn was also present. She walked faster to meet with her friends.

"Hi girls,"Twilight said as she slowed down.

The conversation that the two ponies were having was abruptly interrupted as they reacted in surprise to the new voice that joined them.

"Oh, hi there s-sugarcube," Applejack barely managed to say that last word, her face turned a little red.

"Hello d-darling," now it was Rarity the one having troubles saying one of her characteristic words, she just gazed to the ground after this.

"Uummm," Twilight tilted her head to the side, looking from the red faced pony to the white unicorn and back, "are both of you okay?"

"Never better" both answered at the same time.

There was a moment of silence, Twilight looked to her friends, but they didn't look back at her, she managed to see Rarity's face turning to a light shade of pink and Applejack starting to sweat, "There's something wrong here," she thought as she kept looking at her friends.

"So-" Twilight finally broke the silence only to be interrupted by her orange coated friend.

"Well, see ya, There are some trees waiting to be bucked!" Applejack said as she started running out of the market.

"Wait, Applejack, what about the stand?" Twilight said, but the earth pony was so fast that was already out of sight, she just sighed, "what's wrong with her?"

"I don't know," Rarity answered, she looked just as confused as Twilight was about her friend's action.

"And what's wrong with you?" Twilight asked to Rarity.

"Emmmm, ummmm" Rarity suddenly turned to a mass of nervousness, a stronger shade of pink appearing all over her coat, "Oh! look at the time, I have to pick up Sweetie Belle from school," she finally answered.

"School only started three hours ago," Twilight said her disbelieving eyes boring into Rarity, a frown appearing on her face.

"Ammmmm, bye," Rarity ran in the direction opposite to that which the earth pony had taken, disappearing almost as fast.

Twilight was totally confused now, what did just happened?” She would have chased after the white unicorn, but she couldn't just leave the apple stand alone, she decided to take care of it. Maybe, with some luck, Applejack would come back and the lavender pony would take that opportunity to get some answers from her friend.

Time passed as she stood next to the apple stand, she sold some apples as customers showed up, she thought it would be harder. Applejack always appeared to be dealing with customers that tried to get a discount, but not a single pony argued with Twilight about the price, "The benefits of being a princess," she said inwardly as she chuckled.

As she gave a bag of apples to her last customer, she saw Fluttershy buying some carrots from Carrot Top's stand, "Hey! Fluttershy!" Twilight said as she waved to her yellow friend.

Fluttershy eeped and jumped at the sudden call, a reaction similar to the ones three of her friends had shown earlier that day. Then again, this was Fluttershy, it was normal to get this kind of reaction from her.

The yellow pegasus turned around and looked directly at Twilight, a little blush appeared on her face before she hid behind her mane, she started to walk backwards, running into some ponies that were talking behind her. "Sorry," she apologized before turning tail and running towards her cottage.

“Well, that was strange, what's wrong with everypony today?" Twilight asked to herself while placing a hoof on her temple, she closed her eyes and sighed, her 'good feeling' was now totally forgotten.


Finally, Twilight left the apple stand after Big MacIntosh showed up. He thanked her for taking care of the stand and for the good amount of bits she had acquired with her sales, then he apologized for his sister behavior. Twilight just shook her head saying that there was no need to apologize, and asked if Big Mac knew why his sister was acting weird, but he wasn't sure either, she was fine this morning.

It was now lunch time and the lavender pony was hungry, so she decided to buy something to eat from Sugarcube Corner, and, she would take the chance to look if Pinkie Pie was acting just as weird as her other friends.

As she opened the bakery's front door, a bell announced her presence, the place was full, something normal at this hour of the day, she just walked to the counter where her pink friend was smiling at her, "Well, so far everything looks fine," she thought as she walked.

"Hi Twilight" started the earth pony, keeping her smile on her face.

"Hello Pinkie," Twilight said as she returned the smile,"How are you today?"

"I was fine, but now I'm perfect," she answered with a bigger smile.

"Huh? wh-"

"So, what do you want to eat?" Pinkie interrupted Twilight.

"Oh! ummm, just give me a pie, you can choose the flavor,"

"Okie-Dokie-Lokie" Pinkie said as she went to the kitchen, after a few seconds, she returned with a pie on her back, "here you go, an apple pie."

"Thanks," Twilight was about to grab the pie when the word 'apple' made her think about earlier, "hey Pinkie, can I ask you something?"

"Sure thing Twi."

"Do you know if something happened to Applejack and the other girls"

"What do you mean?" Pinkie tilted her head to the side with a confused expression on her face.

"Well, today I met with everyone, at different times, whenever I called to one of them, they reacted kind of... weird, the conversation would be strange, and after a moment, they would just run away."

"Ummm," Pinkie said as she rubbed her chin with her hoof, "sorry Twi, I don't know."

Twilight sighed at this answer, "Thanks anyway, here," Twilight levitated some bits to the counter, "I'm gonna eat the pie at home," she said as she grabbed the pie with her magic, "bye Pinkie."

"Bye Twilight," Pinkie said as the lavender mare left the shop.

Twilight was feeling better now after her talk with pinkie, "It's good to see that at least Pinkie is acting normal," she told to herself, she just walked a few steps more before she realized something. She lost control of the magic that was holding the pie which flew some meters and landed over the head of a blonde pegasus with gray coat, this made Twilight snap out of the shock.

"Whoops, sorry Derpy" Twilight said as she got closer to the pony.

"Why?" Derpy asked as she licked the pie out of her face. "Apple is my favorite! Thanks."

"Ummm, well sorry anyways," Twilight was about to help clean the pegasus, but she just decided to let her be as she saw how much the blonde mare was enjoying the pie, trying to reach every place of her head, only using her tongue.

Twilight walked away and continued to think about the sudden realization she had before throwing the pie, Pinkie acted normal, not Pinkie-normal, but normal-normal. A cold shiver went downwards Twilight's back, this surely was the weirdest thing that had happened today, if Pinkie Pie was acting normal, there definitely was something wrong.

Twilight started to run "What's wrong with them?" Twilight thought as she passed some ponies that waved or bowed to her, "everyone else is acting normal, Spike acted like he always does, Big Mac and Derpy also acted like always, so why are my friends acting so weird today." Twilight was getting closer to the library, "But there's something in common, they started to act weird when they saw me, everyone was doing their usual stuff, but when I talked to them..." Twilight slammed open her home's door and entered in an instant.

"Spike, I need your help!" she cried out.

"I need some help too," a voice came from behind the open door, as Twilight closed it, a purple dragon appeared from behind, "ouch" he said as he rubbed his head.

"Sorry Spike," Twilight grinned apologetically, "but I need your help."

"What is it Twilight? you look really serious, is something wrong?"

"Well, I think it is," Twilight started to walk in circles, she was thinking hard on what to do, she finally stopped after some minutes.

"Okay, I need you to go and tell Rainbow and the girls that they have to go to Ghastly Gorge at five o'clock, if they ask why, just think something up, and don't tell them that I was the one who asked you to do it."

"Why can't I tell them?" Spike asked confused by what Twilight had asked him to do.

"Let's just say that I have a feeling," Twilight said with a worried expression on her face.

Spike just nodded and sprinted out of the library, Twilight watched as her little assistant disappear as he turned at the corner of a house, she then started to formulate the course of action she would take this afternoon on her head.


At five o'clock, the blue of the sky was slowly changing a tint of pink, there was a strong wind blowing in the gorge and five ponies were standing in the middle of it. Applejack was the one to show up first, followed by Rainbow and Pinkie, Rarity appeared a few minutes later, and lastly, Fluttershy, who had managed to build up enough courage to go to that place.

"What's going on?" Rarity asked as the yellow pegasus joined the group.

"Ah have no idea sugarcube," Applejack answered as she looked around, "Spike told me that Ah had to come here at Five, that it was somethin' important that required ma presence."

"That's the same he told me, but didn't gave me more information, not even that all of you were coming too." Rainbow said as she looked to each of the present ponies.

"So, umm... what are we suppose to do?" Fluttershy asked quietly.

"Oh, oh! Maybe Spike wants to do a surprise party, so he asked us to come here where no one could hear us planning it," Pinkie said as she started to jump around the other four ponies. "Wow, this is going to be awesome, a party planned by all of us, just imagine how great it's going to be, the balloons, the streamers, the music, the food, the piñata, the punch, the games, the decoration, the ponies, the fun, the-."

"Sorry Pinkie Pie, but this is not a meeting to organize a party," a new voice interrupted the pink pony's babbling.

Pinkie stopped jumping and the other four squeaked as they turned around, looking for the place from which the familiar voice came. From the top of the gorge, a purple pony spread her wings and jumped off the cliff, slowly descending to the place the other five ponies were standing. After Twilight landed, she looked at each of her friends face, they were surprised, eyes wide open, two of them had retreated a few steps.

"We are here to answer some questions," Twilight said with a tone that startled her friends, "my questions."

"What is this about?" Rainbow asked pointing a hoof at Twilight, but quickly lowering it as the lavender mare looked at her.

"You, all of you, have been acting weird, but, only towards me," her tone of voice dropped at the last part.

"That's not true s-su-sugarcube," Applejack said.

"No?" Twilight looked directly at Applejack, "A minute ago you said 'sugarcube' perfectly, To. Rarity. And just now, you barely managed to say it, To. Me." Twilight finished stomping her hoof to the ground.

Applejack started to sweat a lot, a nervous smile appeared on her face as she looked around her, finally her eyes locked in one clear path of the gorge and she started to run. Before she could get far, Twilight's horn brightened as a stone wall that was as wide as the gorge path emerged from the ground, blocking Applejack route of escape, a second one emerged from behind Twilight, and finally, one last stone wall was located above the group of ponies. They were trapped inside, in total darkness until a bright light emanated from Twilight's horn.

"I'm sorry for doing this girls, but no one is leaving this place before I get some answers, "Twilight said, her voice was low, but perfectly clear, "Why? Why are you acting like this towards me." Twilight paused for breath and continued. "Is it because I'm a princess now? Is that you do not feel comfortable around me anymore?" Twilight dropped her head, "Do you no longer consider me your friend?"

"Oh, Twilight," Fluttershy said as she approached the lavender pony, "Don't worry, not a single one of those things is true."

"She's right Twilight, I think I speak for everyone when I say that we all still consider you our friend," Rarity said from behind Fluttershy.

"Yeah," now it was Rainbow Dash talking, "we are a hundred and twenty percent your friends."

"Really?" Twilight started, a single tear falling from her eye, "You... you don't hate me or anything like that?"

"Silly filly, we could never hate you," Pinkie said as a huge smile formed on her mouth,"in fact, I love you."

"Thanks Pink-" Twilight suddenly stopped as she realized what her friend had just told her.

"WHAT!" four voices echoed inside the stone cage.

"W-what did you just said pinkie?" Twilight asked with a light blush on her face.

"I said that I love you" three ponies had their eyes wide open, and Twilight was blushing so hard that she could illuminate the inside of the cage without the help of her horn.

"What do you mean that you love her?" Rainbow and Rarity asked at the same time.

"Well, that I, Pinkamena Diane Pie, am in love with Twilight," Pinkie answered as if it was the most casual thing of the world.

"You can't be in love of her," Rainbow said as she grabbed Pinkie by the shoulders.

"Why not?" Pinkie asked while smiling.

"Because... because... um," Rainbow let go of Pinkie's shoulders.

"Girls," this was the first time Applejack had spoken since Twilight trapped all of them, "Ah also have something to say," she gulped as she got near to Twilight, she hesitated for a moment, "Ah love you Twilight."

"What?" Twilight asked so quietly that it was barely audible, Fluttershy eeped and Rarity and Rainbow were wide eyed with their jaws hanging.

"Ah love you," Applejack repeated, she closed her eyes before continuing, "that's the reason why Ah was acting so weird today, Ah was so nervous in front of you, Ah didn't know how to act," she opened her eyes, looking directly at Twilight. "Ah don't know when Ah started to feel like this, but Ah suddenly realized ma feelings to you," a blush appeared on her face, and Twilight's blush just intensified.

A sigh was heard and Twilight turned to look the source of it, a white unicorn, "Well, now that we are being honest with our feelings," Rarity paused, got closer to Twilight and continued, "I love you, Twilight, and it's just like Applejack said. I don't know when this started."

Twilight's head started to spin, "What's going on?" She thought while she looked to the three ponies that had just confessed to her, her head slowly turned to look at her blue and prismatic friend, "Oh no, don't tell me that-"

"I also love you Twilight," Rainbow said while looking down as she fidgeted the floor with her hoof, "I-I was flying one day, I saw you walking around and suddenly, I had this weird feeling inside of my chest and my stomach..." she looked up to Twilight, "a cool feeling."

Twilight was wide open and shaking, so much blood was flowing to her face that the rest of her body color was starting to dim, she closed her eyes and took a deep breath, then she opened them and looked directly at the yellow pegasus. Fluttershy just nodded before hiding behind her mane, there was no need for more.

"Ummmm, uuhhhh," Twilight wasn't sure what to say, she was sweating as much as Applejack was before trapping them, this was so sudden, so unexpected, she wanted to run, "I... I..." Twilight backed a few steps before hitting the stone wall behind her, she panicked, there were five pair of eyes looking at her, "I'm sorry," Twilight finally said, a bubble of light surrounded her and suddenly, the stone cage was in total darkness.

There was a moment of silence that was finally broken by Rainbow, "Did Twilight just teleported out and left us trapped in here?"

"Well darling, what did you expected?" Rarity said as she illuminated the place with her horn. "After she heard the confession of love, of not only one, but five of her friends, I don't blame her for her reaction," she started to look to each one of the remaining ponies in the room, "I must say that I'm surprised, not as much as Twilight of course."

"So..." Fluttershy talked with her soft voice. "Its true? A-all of you are also in love of Twilight?"

"That's what it looks like," Applejack said while looking to her friends, "How did this happen?"

"Oh you little silly Applety-Jackity, It was unavoidable," Pinkie said as she started to giggle before continuing, "I mean, just look at Twilight and that flank of hers, wow."

Four faces turned like tomatoes, nobody contradicted that statement, there was a long pause, a little cough came from the country pony, breaking the silence.

"Well, we better get outta here, any ideas?" Applejack asked while examining the stone wall.

"Leave it to me," Pinkie said as she materialized her party cannon out from nowhere, everyone wanted to ask how Pinkie had done it, but the pink mare continued before they could, "go to the opposite wall and cover your ears, this is about to get noisy."

Four ponies did as they were asked, a few seconds later, a loud explosion resonated in the barely illuminated room, after the cloud of dust dissipated, the last rays of light from the day showed through the hole.

"Wow, nice job Pinks" Rainbow said as the group of ponies started to get to the new exit.

"No problemo."

"Well, what do we do now?" Fluttershy asked as she made her way through the hole.

"I guess we just wait to see what happens," Rarity said as she started to head out of the gorge, "Twilight needs time to think," four ponies nodded while they followed the white unicorn back to Ponyville.

Author's Note:

This is my second story, the first with multiple chapters. Sorry if you spot some errors, English is not my main language and I didn't got this properly edited, but it is from chapter five onward.

This is how I'm trying to do this story:
70% Humor.
30% Romance.
0% Clop.