• Published 1st Apr 2013
  • 1,481 Views, 90 Comments

The Prophecy of Sweetest Belle - FaelaArts



A prophecy fortells the end of Equestria, and Sweetie Belle is the cause.

  • ...
5
 90
 1,481

Just an ordinary day

Sweetie Belle paced the clubhouse, various objects around her in their cluttered space. Her friends were taking forever to arrive. Around her neck her crystal hung, swaying as she moved about the clubhouse. As if summoned by her impatience, two sets of hoof-steps could be heard approaching. Sweetie Belle watched the earth pony and pegasus, both mere fillies, and both her age, as they entered their shared clubhouse.

“So, Sweetie Belle, what’s this amazing thing you wanted to show us?” The orange pegasus filly with purple hair rolled her eyes as she spoke, but waited patiently. Apple Bloom, the earth pony with the yellow fur and red mane and a neat little bow on the back of her head, looked around enthusiastically.

After glancing about the room quickly for something the right size, Sweetie Belle directed her friends’ attention to the other side of the room. Button, a small teddy bear with a button-replacement nose and the club’s official mascot, lay in the opposite corner of the clubhouse. The other two fillies paid close attention as Sweetie Belle’s tail swished and her eyes focused on Button.

Her eyes began to glow bright green and the bear lifted into the air. It was shaky at first, but soon it steadied and hung in the air for a few moments before she gently put it back on the ground. Her eyes faded back to normal as she dispelled her concentration. Before she fully recovered from the sudden fatigue, she was slammed into the floor with the force of her friends' excited hugs.

“Girls, give me a chance to recover first!” she cried out while her friends playfully held her prisoner.

“No, you are our prisoner, oh powerful, eye-glowy unicorn!” Scootaloo spoke, immediately assuming character. Apple Bloom brought out two rubber swords—courtesy of a certain Nightmare Night pirate—and they held Sweetie Belle at sword point.

“Yah will share tha secret for tha meaning of eternal cutie marks!” Apple Bloom demanded. Her eyes glinted furiously in the light, this was a filly ready to kill with a rubber toy.

Sweetie Belle put her hoof to her forehead, faking dismay just as Rarity did, “Nooo, I cannot share my secrets or I will have to turn you to-err-stone!”

Scootaloo collapsed to the ground and cried, “Noooooooooo!”

Seeing her captors distracted, the powerful glowy unicorn quickly made her move. She ducked under the sword and tackled Apple Bloom to the floor, stealing the sword. Brandishing it, she held Apple Bloom hostage, and turned her eyes evilly to Scootaloo.

“Surrender or she dies!” Sweetie Belle raised her head and laughed evilly, thunder crashing behind her dramatically. Of course, this was all in their minds, but they ignored that fact.

Scootaloo cried out in horror, her wings flaring in shock. Sighing and lowering her head, she dropped the sword as her wings went limp, “You win, oh magical one.” With their fun done, Sweetie Belle dropped the sword and fell to the floor in a fit of giggles, quickly followed by the others. Eventually their laughter petered out, and they smiled at the ceiling.

“Seriously though, Sweetie Belle, that’s so awesome! You’re one step closer to being like Twilight.” Despite the fact they were great friends with Twilight, they all paused before shuddering at Scootaloo's comment. Sweetie Belle sat up, followed quickly by her friends and smiled happily.

“Anyway, isn’t this great? I owe it all to this crystal I’m wearing.” Pointing to it, she gained both the crusaders attention. Apple Bloom was the first to pick it up, holding it close enough she wouldn’t strangle Sweetie Belle. On her touch, it glowed brightly, and she dropped it in shock.

“Whoa, why’d it do that?” Apple Bloom exclaimed in response.

Sweetie Belle mused for a moment, before shrugging. “I dunno, I thought it only worked for unicorns. It helps us find this thing called a channel. ‘Parently a horn’s the normal channel, but I’ve got very special eyes.” She giggled.

Tossing the crystal between her hooves, Apple Bloom noticed her front legs glowed strongest, while her eyes barely glowed at all.

“Let me try,” Scootaloo spoke, and when she was the crystal, it glowed in her hoof, but nowhere near as bright as Bloom’s had. Acting on impulse, she held it to her wing and they all flinched at the bright glare that came from it.

“Wow that’s amazing!” said Apple Bloom. “We should find out what it means. Where do we find the information?”

Sweetie Belle went to search her bags and frowned when she saw her book wasn’t in there, “It must have fallen out at Rarity’s. Let’s head there and go find it.” With their day planned out, they headed toward the Scoots-mobile. Scootaloo brought the Scooter, and the small cart was the mobile.

“To Rarity!”


“I’m really sorry darling, but I’m sure Twilight will have it fixed soon.” They had arrived at the boutique and were sitting calmly at the kitchen table eating forgiveness-cookies that Rarity had baked. When the elder unicorn had accidentally spilled coffee over Sweetie’s magic book, Sweetie had been furious. But as Sweetie Belle bit into one of the sweet treats, and her anger had quickly faded.

“Mmph, these are soo good!” Sweetie Belle loved her sister’s cookies. They dug in, and Rarity was instantly forgiven. The mare breathed a sigh of relief. After they finished, they began to discuss their next strategy to solve the mystery.

“Let’s go ask Twilight, she’s such an egghead that she’d know,” Scootaloo suggested. The other two nodded in agreement.

“Thanks for the cookies, Rarity, we’ll be off.” Before Rarity could object, they had vanished out the door. Rolling her eyes, she began cleaning up the hurricane of mess they always left in their wake.


“You want to know about what, now?” Twilight was busy re-cataloging her re-cataloging system. Of course, this meant she had to take down every single book and figure out the possible combinations.

“Rarity melted my book, remember you’re going to try and fix it?” Sweetie Belle spoke up, impatient to know what her crystal was doing. Twilight flinched, but recovered quickly, her wings holding stacks of books as she held them out.

“Oh of course, sorry, it’s still being fixed. Why don’t you tell me what you want to know about from the book, instead?” Sweetie Belle shared a glance with the other two. They knew going into such territory was getting close to the dangerous lecture. They weighed the risks and decided curiosity would not be averted.

“Well okay, thanks, Twilight. We want to know about channels for magic.” Twilight flinched as Sweetie Belle spoke, but managed to keep herself from making any further movements. With her face hidden from the view of the three fillies as, it began to grow sick with concern.

“Well, unicorns normally use horns, but there have or been cases of other parts having a stronger connection to their magic. Of course other ponies have different common magic points and-“

“Wait, other ponies have magic?” Sweetie Belle interrupted. Twilight turned her head and closed her wings, dropping all of the books she had been holding in them to the floor. A muffled yelp escaped her lips.

“It’s a different kind of magic, but they do have magic. Take earth ponies for example. Usually their magical channels are their hooves, and what kind of magic they use is based on their talent. For example, Applejack had very good stamina and strength, but is a bit heavy-hoofed and would not be at home in a Canterlot opera theatre. However if an earth pony was…for example, a user of an instrument. They would need to be able to pluck the music from the instrument, which would mean they would need to be more calm and sure of their movements, thus lacking in the strength department.” Twilight paused, letting the fillies absorb the information.

“Take Pinkie Pie, just before my ascension. She couldn’t keep the apple farm running before because her channel is different from Applejacks. I’m not sure where Pinkie’s channel is, but you get the general idea.

“As for Pegasi, while their talent helps direct their magic more prominently, all Pegasi eventually gain enough magic to fly. Of course, if they are one of the rare cases where their channel is located differently, or is more developed than they are, sometimes the pony can have problems calling upon that magic.” All three fillies rolled their eyes, glad it had only been a small lecture. Quietly discussing the information, all three had something to be excited to discuss.

“My channel is my wings; that means I’m going to fly someday!”

“Ah'm gonna be good at something to do with mah hooves!”

“I’m gonna be good at ah-Uhm…” Sweetie Belle trailed off, her two friends gazing to her.

“Uhh, something to do with my eyes?” she questioned. The other two nodded, and she smiled. They all embraced, happy to know a little more about themselves, it would definitely help with finding their cutie marks. Suddenly Apple Bloom noticed the time.

“Ah shoot, ah'm late, mah sister is gonna kill me. Gotta go, bye,” she spoke, dashing out the door with a quick wave.

Scootaloo glanced to the sky to check the time and saw Rainbow Dash fly past. The filly bounced once and hovered from the ground for a moment. “I’m gonna go too, Sweetie Belle. I want to tell Dash what we've just found out.” Before Sweetie could do more than raise her hoof to wave goodbye, Scootaloo was gone.

Stretching, Sweetie Belle smiled at Twilight who was staring at her strangely.

“Is something wrong?” she asked.

Twilight blinked in reply before smiling and shaking her head, “Absolutely nothing, but do you mind if I walk you home? I’d like to have a talk with Rarity.” Sweetie Belle shook her head, and bounced out the door. Twilight following behind.

“I’ll be back soon, Spike.” Buried under a pile of books near where Twilight had been standing, a dragon growled in reply. She would pay for this, in emeralds, which she had hidden away so he wouldn’t spoil himself.


“Sweetie Belle, would you mind being a dear and going upstairs to play for a while? Twilight and I need to talk.” Rarity was quick to tell Sweetie Belle to scoot unless she needed something.

Sweetie nodded at Rarity’s request and exited the kitchen, leaving the other two alone. As soon as they were certain she was gone, they began to talk quietly.

“Rarity, she’s displayed the first sign, hasn’t she?” Twilight spoke in a hushed tone.

“Twilight, give it a few more days, please. It’s too soon to be sure it’s her. My sister is not Sweetest Belle. It’s merely coincidence.” Rarity glanced nervously around the room, hoping Twilight would agree with her.

“Alright,” Twilight relented, “but if she displays the next line, we’re going to have to act. The prophecy is something we can’t stop once it reaches the point of no return.”

Unknown to them, Sweetie Belle had been listening in the entire time by pressing her ear to the wall and frowning as her sister and Twilight spoke. First sign, what's going on? This wasn’t about her birthday present or a secret gift. She had hidden expecting that, not this. Her eyes widened and she backed away, sneaking up the stairs.

Entering her room, she began to silently freak out with the door closed, running in place rapidly and glancing around with constricted pupils. What was this, a prophecy? Sweetest Belle, First sign? It made no sense. What had she done wrong? She needed someone to ask, but if Twilight and Rarity knew, odds were the others did too. What about her friends, would they know who to turn to?

“Okay, Sweetie Belle, Apple Bloom will be easy to find. So, let’s go ask her, she’ll know what to do.” Satisfied she had a plan; she walked down the stairs and poked her head in.

“Going to see Apple Bloom be back by curfew!” She spoke in a rush and dashed out the door before anyone could object. A smile spread across her face, she still had it.

Back in the kitchen, Rarity rolled her eyes, turning back to Twilight.

“Just remember what the next line is,” Rarity frowned as Twilight spoke, and Twilight growled and opened her mouth to recite the line.

‘Black and White will meet with green to tell my words to ears so keen’. ” Rarity felt a chill go through her body, the words finally sinking in.

“Right,” was all Twilight said in response.

Twilight nodded, “We can’t let Sweetie Belle see Zecora.”


On the other side of town, two ponies quietly began to puzzle over what Sweetie Belle had heard.

“Well if we can’t go to our sisters…we could try Zecora, she’s good with all that mumbo-jumbo stuff.” Apple Bloom spoke, frowning.

Sweetie jumped up and down. “Apple Bloom, you’re a genius.” They embraced, and peered into the Everfree Forest with grim determination.

“Let’s go, we want ta get home 'fore it gets dark. When Applejack notices ah'm gone Ah'll get in trouble for skipping chores, but this is so much more interesting!”