• Published 1st Apr 2013
  • 1,518 Views, 19 Comments

Innocence - pinkiemyster2



Growing up, Scootaloo has always had a hard life. But will she be able to overcome the loss of some of her dearest friends? How will she survive without them?

  • ...
2
 19
 1,518

Innocence

"Do you really think this is a good idea?"
"Trust me, it's foolproof!"
"Ya but..." Sweetie Belle looked unassured towards the giant homemade ramp that would surely end up sending them to the hospital.
"Do you really think it'll work?"
"C'mon Sweetie! Our cutie marks could be in stunts!" Scootaloo was trying to convince Sweetie, without the help of Applebloom, who was home working on making zap apple jam with the rest of the Apple family.
"I don't know..." Sweetie was now backing away from the scooter, "Don't you think we could get hurt?"
Sometimes she thought she was the only one who worried about getting hurt. Applebloom and Scootaloo were always more concerned with getting their cutie marks rather than how they got them. They never seemed to think their ideas through, and always ignored Sweetie when she began to worry.
"C'mon Sweetie, are you in it or not?" Scootaloo said noticeably growing impatient. Sweetie Belle shook her head, "I'm not going and I don't think you should either, it seems too dangerous,"
"Fine, if you're not going, then I am!"
Scootaloo shoved off as her scooter began to roll down the ramp, with her on it. Sweetie watched in horror as one of her best friends began to barrel down the death trap at break-neck speeds. She swore that she was the only one with any common sense in this group.
Scootaloo flew down the ramp, her cheeks were practically covering her ears. The wind against her face began to sting her eyes even as she squinted against it. She began to get speed wobbles as she was nearing the end of the ramp. She quickly righted her scooter as she flew from the end, wings buzzing in hope of gaining more speed.
Sweetie Belle watched as a smile began to spread across her face. She stood on her hind legs and began to jump around, cheering at her friend's feat. When suddenly, a thought wiggled its way into both of their minds.
'What about the landing?'
Sweetie's smile was quickly erased from her face, leaving a shocked and worried expression in its place. Scootaloo's eyes darted toward the ground. She realized she was far too high to be able to land without any kind of injury. Her wings weren't fully developed yet so they wouldn't aid much in her descent.
Out of pure shock, she slowly released her grip from her scooter and began to fall towards the hard ground below. Her limbs flailing all around, looking for something, anything, to grab on to. Her wings flapping as hard as she could, trying desperately to keep her up, to no prevail.
Suddenly, a flash flew by her. She noticed that it was all the colors of a rainbow. She then saw Rainbow Dash stop mid-flight and zoom towards the falling filly yelling, "Hang on squirt!"
As she grew closer to Scootaloo, Rainbow thought to herself, 'Okay, I realize they want their cutie marks, but free falling?'
She mare caught Scootaloo with time to spare. She then slowly brought the orange filly down to safety.
"Um... thanks Rainbow Dash..." Scootaloo said trying desperately to not make eye contact.
"What in Equestria were you trying to do, get yourself killed? Do you have any idea what could've happened if I wasn't here to save you?" She was incredibly angry with the young filly, partially because Scootaloo did some outrageous stunt and nearly died, but mostly for making her worry. Of course, she would never tell her that though. She always thought of Scootaloo as a sister, like the one she never had. Rainbow felt it was her responsibility to look after her, like it was her duty to keep her safe from harm.
Scootaloo managed to get out a sorry before Rainbow erupted at her again. "You're sorry? Do you think that would've made a difference if you were in the hospital or worse? That was an incredibly dangerous thing to do Scootaloo! There's a difference between giving it your all and just plain being reckless!"
"I know, I didn't mean to make you worry Rainbow Dash, I was just trying to get my cutie mark,"
Rainbow realized that she was scolding Scootaloo and took a deep breath to calm herself. "Look squirt, you can't just be doing anything you feel like and not expect to have any consequences. You have to realize that some things are okay to do and others," she gestured towards the ramp, "are just reckless and endangers more ponies than just yourself,"
"I understand Rainbow, I promise to try to be more careful next time,"
Not completely convinced of her understanding, Rainbow decided to let it go. "Okay, go back and play with Sweetie, and remember, no being reckless,"
She tussled Scootaloo's hair and gave her a smile which Scootaloo returned. She then proceeded to run pat Rainbow Dash to look for her scooter.
'Someday you'll learn Scootaloo,' Rainbow thought to herself as she flew back up to her cloud to resume her slumber.
'Someday...'
-----
"Applebloom!" Both of the fillies yelled in unision.
Applebloom stepped outside for a brief moment to see that the other two crusaders were riding as fast as they could towards the farmhouse.
"AH!" was all Applebloom managed to get out as the two ran straight into her. They collided and flew into the house, not even phasing Granny Smith as she slept peacefully in her chair.
Applebloom got to her feet to see that Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle were now tangled around each other. "What was that for?" she demanded.
"Sorry," Scootaloo said with an apologetic grin on her face, "we were just in a big hurry to come see you! Are you finished with the zap apple jam?"
"I think so," she was still rubbing the back of her head as she glanced over to Granny Smith, who was now snoring. "Applejack and Big Mac finished pickin' what they could of the zap apples, we finished the last of 'em about half an hour ago. I've been cleanin' up the mess ever since,"
"Oh," Sweetie said looking towards the kitchen. "why don't we help you finish? Then we can all go to the club and talk,"
"But-" Sweetie elbowed Scootaloo in her stomach. "OW! Fine..."
After the trio finished removing the pink polka dots from the walls, cleaned the many spilled drops of jam of the floor, and scrubbed the pots and pans clean, they were off towards the clubhouse.
"So what was so important that ya' had ta' slam into me like that?"
"Well, remember how we said that we should try to jump a ramp down that really big hill? To get stunt devil cutie marks?" Scootaloo said.
"Yeah?"
"Well," Scootaloo began looking down at the ground with an awkward smile on her face, "we tried it,"
"And?"
Scootaloo remembered the events clearly in her mind. The talking, the flying down the ramp, trying to fly, failing. "We did'nt really think the landing through-"
"WHAT? How can ya' forget the most important part of a stunt?"
"Listen,"
Applebloom looked like she had more to say, but respectively kept her mouth shut.
"I was flying through the air and realized our mistake-"
"OUR mistake?" Now it was Sweetie's turn to jump in. "What do you mean our mistake? You were the one who-"
"Will you just let me finish? You should know what happened too!"
Sweetie looked shocked at the sudden outburst as she remembered that she had no idea what had happened either.
"Anyway, I started to fall. I was sure that was gonna be it until," She took a deep breath and continued, "Rainbow Dash saved me. I thought she was just gonna drop me off on the ground and tell me to try harder like she always does, but she did'nt,"
Both of the other fillies looked at each other and then back to Scootaloo. Applebloom was trying to sound as compassionate as possible, "What happened?"
Scootaloo was still looking at the ground, trying to recall the events that took place only a few hours earlier. "She started to yell at me, telling me that what I did was reckless and dangerous. That my actions had certain consequences and affected more ponies than just myself. She never acted like that before, I did'nt know how to respond to her, all I could do was apologize,"
"I think she was just worried about ya' was all," Applebloom said as she noticed that Scootaloo was finished.
"Yeah," Sweetie agreed, "she just did'nt want you or anypony else to get hurt,"
"I know," Scootaloo said, "but I can't help feeling that there was more to it than just that,"
By this time the three had arrived at the clubhouse and were walking through the front door.
"How do you feel when Applejack gets angry with you Applebloom?" Scootaloo looked towards Applebloom with curious eyes.
"Well, ah know that it was wrong of me ta' do, even if it was somethin' that semed okay in tha' first place,"
"Yeah, but how did you feel about it afterwards?"
"Ah knew that Applejack was only lookin' out for me. She wanted me ta' be safe and was only tryin' ta' protect me,"
Scootaloo nodded and looked towards Sweetie Belle, who was now sitting on the floor next to Applebloom. "What about you Sweetie? How do you feel when Rarity yells at you?"
"I know that Rarity sometimes over reacts about some of the stuff I do, but most of the time I deserved the yelling she does. I know that she only wants the best for me, even if her way of showing it isn't the best,"
Scootaloo started to think, about her friend's answers and about how Rainbow acted towards her. 'That sounds alot like how Rainbow Dash acted towards me. She wasn't yelling at me just to be doing it, she was doing it because she wanted me to be safe and was looking our for me,'
"Why don't we just get back to crusading?" Sweetie interrupted Scootaloo's thoughts as she noticed that Scootaloo was growing very depressed about the subject.
"Yeah, let's try not ta' think about it," Applebloom said agreeing with Sweetie.
"Yeah," Scootaloo began, "let's just get back to crusading..."

Author's Note:

Just so you guys aren't confused during the second chapter, I was planning on doing a time lapse to where Scootaloo and the rest of the crusaders grow up some. They are now the equivilant to being teenagers in our world. I just wanted to mention this so that there is no confusion during the rest of the story.