• Published 15th Oct 2011
  • 6,375 Views, 90 Comments

Halo: Fall of Equestria - Big-Mac-115



The final frontier of the Human-Covenant war brings chaos where no man, or pony, thought it could go

  • ...
3
 90
 6,375

Chapter Two: Preparations

Chapter Two: Preparations

March 19, 2756
1813 hours
Aboard UNSC Halcyon-Class cruiser "Hellhound", en route to "New Arcadia"


"All hands, report to your designated hanger bays and prepare to enter normal space. All hands to hangers, prepare for slipspace departure."

Yeah, yeah, we're comin'. Calm your tits. "C'mon, we better get moving." Staff Sergeant McLendon picked up his pace from brisk walk to a jog, and motioned for his two squadmates to do the same.

"Sarge, we don't gotta run; we still got fifteen minutes." Sergeant Hand said, his voice slightly weary.

"It wasn't a request, it was an order. And maybe you'll think next time before you screw around in the gym instead of sleeping all night."

Hand groaned, and pulled his legs harder to keep up with his team.

They weren't running late, but McLendon didn't want to end up having Captain Barrat on him for not being present, were they to drop out of slipspace earlier than scheduled for some unforeseen reason. They dodged and weaved through the technicians and engineers that were busy in the hallways, moving supplies and preparing equipment for when they descended onto the planet. He peered into some of the crates and racks as he passed them: food, medical supplies, what he assumed was either mining or testing equipment, and occasionally he spotted a container of MA5-F assault rifles and ammunition. The presence of these weapons incited his mood to rise a bit; it was another sign that this was probably more than just a 'scout mission' like the Office of Naval Intelligence had endowed. They wouldn't normally employ the use of such heavy armament, unless there was a more clandestine meaning to it all. McLendon had always been the kind for action, and he wasn't fond of the notion of coming here for a simple pioneering mission.

He glanced at a sign ahead: >HANGER B/ LEVEL 1< This was their stop.

He tapped a series of numbers on the control pad next to the door, and it slid open with a hiss of steam, revealing a vast, open hanger area bustling with activity. More technicians loading and fueling Osprey dropships (the successor of the outdated Pelican transport), pilots running flight checks on their Vulture heavy gunships, Marines and Navy personnel toying with their standard-issue M6-J sidearms in anticipation. Looking around at all this, the McLendon again got the feeling that there was much more to be said about this upcoming mission than had been let on by ONI. He shook these thoughts as he saw Sergeant Aylward - another of his squadmates - wave him over from near one of the Ospreys. He nodded and ran to her, Sergeant Hand and Private Beck following.

"Took you boys long enough," she said as they approached, her voice elevated to be heard over the noise of the hangar.

"Yeah yeah, can it." He motioned to the transport ship. "This our bird?"

"Yup. Pilot's running his pre-flight diagnostics right now. We'll be among the first to land, we're leaving as soon as we drop out of slipspace."

McLendon nodded. "Any change on when we're entering normal space?"

She shrugged. "As far as I've heard, it's the same: eighteen thirty." Looking past McLendon, she noticed Hand panting slightly and out-of-breath. "You spend all night in the gym again?" she accused.

Hand gave her the finger, and she replied with a laugh. "Well you're the dumbass who's going to be paying for it for the rest of the day, so it's not MY problem."

"Corporal Neihoff, what kinda equipment are we carryin'?" McLendon asked, stepping between the sergeants.

"Funny you asked," the big man said, and scooted off the crate he had been sitting on. He flipped two clamps on the front and it swung open, revealing an impressive display of armaments. "Most of it is our standard scouting loadout and equipment, but they set us up with a few extra..... toys." He effortlessly hefted a SPNKR-4 rocket launcher out of the crate.

"Whoa..." McLendon was genuinely surprised. "Why would the UNSC give us anti-vehicle for a scouting mission?"

"Because we're not scouting, like I told you," Aylward interjected, and shot a glance at Beck, who had been absentmindedly loading his M6's magazines until now. She smirked, and he groaned in response, dropping to the ground and beginning the three-hundred pushups he now owed her for losing their bet.

McLendon ignored the exchange and returned his attention to his weapons specialist. "So what else are we looking at here?" he asked, peering into the box next to Neihoff.

"Welp, while on the topic of anti vehicle," he replied with a grunt, heaving another heavy weapon out of the container. It took McLendon a moment to recognize the weapon, but once he did, he sighed and rolled his eyes. "A damn Spartan Laser? REALLY?"

The corporal grinned like he had just won a million-dollar jackpot. "Mhm. Can't go wrong with the Mk 6 GNR! And we've got four fully-charged proton packs for it." He placed the laser back in the box as carefully as he would his own child, then produced three M7-L sub-machine guns with silencers and holographic sights pre-attached. "Apparently they're preparing us for anti-personnel, too. I seriously don't understand how they can tell us that there's no threat to be had on this planet with a straight face."

"Have you guys EVER considered that maybe they're supplying us in surplus just in case there ARE potential threats on this planet?" Hand interposed.

McLendon wanted to say something back, but couldn't find the words. Hand had a point: this was an unexplored planet, and only exo-atmospheric probes had been sent here previously, so the surface details of the planet were probably unknown and inconclusive. Unable to formulate a counterstatement, he simply responded with a "watch your tone, or you'll be joining Beck with the pushups," and reached for one of the MA5-F assault rifles out of the container. There was an under-barrel M3-19 40mm grenade launcher on it. "Jesus..." he muttered, turning the rifle over in his hands, more fascinated with the high-explosive attachment than the gun itself. Before now, he figured they were under-stocked on weapons as usual, given that he had seen nothing of these arms during the course of the entire journey.

He wasn't sure whether he should be anxious or excited; for one, they would never be stocked with such an extensive array of armaments if they were simply exploring this planet (the UNSC would barely supply them with their sidearms and maybe an assault rifle or two if this was the case). So he knew there had to be SOME form of combat involved, which he thought might make this a somewhat interesting and enjoyable endeavor. But on the other hand, even the Insurrectionists would hardly require such firepower to combat. Maybe an Innie stronghold? A headquarters? Again, he was nervously excited.

He placed the MA5-F back into the crate on its appropriate weapon rack, and directed his attention to the boxes of ammunition and accessories next to them. They were just as various as they were numerous: armor-piercing, anti-material, high-velocity and even a few cases of explosive reactive rounds. His eyes shifted to the assortment of suppressors, flashlights, foregrips, bipods, and optics for their weapons. Toward the bottom of the container were two sniper rifles: a standard SRS 99E-S5, and its bolt-action equivalent, the SRS 105B, with slightly extended barrel for increased accuracy at extreme range. "Well, they sure as hell wanted us to be prepared," he said, his voice distrait.

Neihoff noted his facial expression and laughed hardily. "You look like a little kid in a candy store, staff sergeant."

McLendon shook his head to clear his thoughts, and brought up his wrist to check the time on his tac-pad. Eighteen twenty-three. They would be entering the realm of normal space in seven minutes.

"ODST 407th squad! Roll call!" McLendon shouted.

"Sergeant Courtney Aylward, reporting sir!"

"Corporal Neihoff, aye sir!"

"Private Beck, reporting," he groaned, and pulled himself off the ground after finishing his one-hundred and fiftieth pushup.

"Sergeant Hand, reporting as ordered."

"Private Bradley, aye aye!"

McLendon turned around and noticed the private for the first time since they had arrived at the launch bay: he already had his helmet on, his armor powered up, and was screwing a suppressor and foregrip onto one of the MA5-Fs.

"What? Nothin' wrong with being ahead of the game," Bradley said through his helmet's speakers, and shrugged.

McLendon shook his head and addressed the rest of the team. "I'm assuming Sergeant Calum is getting preparations set on board?" He motioned toward the Osprey, who's main power systems were warming up.

"Yup, and speak of the devil," Aylward replied, and ponted toward the cargo bay of the ship.

"Pilot's ready for dustoff as soon as Captain Barrat give the order," he said as he bounded down the loading ramp of the aircraft.

"Well why aren't you up there helping him load the equipment?" Hand inquired. "He tell you to go away because you were being annoying?"

"Hey I didn't ask you, alright?" Calum retorted. He faked a cough, badly disguising the word "yes".

McLendon nodded. "Alright team. Load up and suit up. We don't know what's down there, so prepare yourselves accordingly." He leaned over the box of weapons and grabbed one of the M7-Ls for himself, and attached a flashlight in addition to the silencer and sight that were already present.

"That's for me, right?" Aylward said jokingly as she strode up next to him, retrieving one of the SMGs for herself and also attaching a flashlight. "I like the way you think, sarge."

McLendon reached down to the bottom and uncovered the SRS 99E, and tossed it to Sergeant Hand, who accepted it willingly.

"Now now, let's not be greedy. Make some room for me, here," Neihoff said, and retrieved one of the MA5-Fs, along with several extended magazines and all of the boxes of explosive reactive ammunition.

Beck huffed. "Look at you, Neihoff? Telling US not to be greedy? Maybe I wanted some of those?"

"Finders keepers, bro. Maybe ya shoulda gotten over here sooner and not been doing them pushups." He and Aylward high-fived.

The private cursed under his breath and reluctantly scooped up a few boxes of standard 7.62x51mm rounds, a 4x scope, and an assault rifle.

McLendon motioned for Calum to join them in loading up their arms, but he respectfully declined with a wave of his hand. "Nah, I'm good. Unless... Maybe... There's a shotgun in there by any chance?" he said nonchalantly, glancing with fake interest about the interior of the ship.

"No, sorry, not this time." McLendon replied somberly.

"Eh, then I'll be fine as is. I've got all I need right here." He patted the M6-J on his hip.

McLendon shrugged, and tossed another box of SRS 99E magazines and ammo to Hand. He collected a dozen of the M7-L's pre-loaded caseless ammunition mags, and filled the pockets and pouches of his rig with them. He also retrieved two spare M6-J clips and loaded them with 12.7x40mm armor-piercing rounds, and slid them into the pockets on his holster.

As a final thought, he picked up three M9 HE grenades, clipping them to his belt. He stood up and spoke out, louder this time to be heard over the growing noise of the Osprey's engaging engines. "Well, everyone ready?"

"Yes, sir!" came a unanimous call in return. They stood at attention, magazines loaded and weapons prepared, suits sealed and helmets on. McLendon's eyes played over each of them proudly: Sergeant Hand with his SRS 99E sniper rifle, a deadly marksman that was just as patient as he was accurate. Corporal Neihoff with his telltale assault rifle, his person loaded with more ammunition than most would ever think of using. He was a real get-shit-done kind of guy, the type that found just as much fun in getting shot at as returning the fire. Sergeant Aylward, silenced M7-L in hand, the sneakiest, most deceptive, cunning marine he knew. He'd seen her kill a man instantly with nothing but a her index and ring fingers, not making the slightest noise. Private Beck, while although nervous-in-the-service, he was quite possibly the damn best technician and medic the UNSC had, capable of fixing anyone or anything that wasn't already totaled. Private Bradley and his MA5-F, loaded with accessories, such as the silencer, foregrip, scope, flashlight and laser sight. Typical; he tended to outdo himself, but it was compensated for by the fact that he was always one step ahead of everyone else. He was by far the fastest and most quick-witted of them all, which made him an excellent hand-to-hand fighter. And finally Sergeant Calum, although he was obnoxious and loud almost all of the time, he made for an excellent tool of psychological warfare. In fact, McLendon once recalled him running into a room full of hostile Insurrectionist soldiers with nothing but a combat knife, screaming "LEEROOOYYY, JEEENKINNNSSS!!!" To this day, McLendon hadn't a clue what Calum meant by that verbal outburst, but hey, it worked, and apparently Calum knew it would: he had ended up killing four of them before they had time to pick up their weapons, and the ones that survived dropped to the ground instantly in terror. He smiled as he thought of this, and all their different aspects that made them such a perfect team.

McLendon nodded in satisfaction, and glanced down at his tac-pad again. Eighteen twenty-eight.

"Alright people, let's get the rest of this cargo on board, and watch the fireworks." Everyone in the Core referred to the phenomenon of exiting slipspace as "fireworks" because of the mind-stretching spectrum of light and radio waves, both visible and invisible to the eye. He engaged his armor, and squatted down next to the crate, motioning for Neihoff to assist him. With the combined strength of them and their power armor, they lifted the heavy equipment container as if it was no more than thirty pounds. The two soldiers loaded it into cargo bay of the Osprey and secured it.

"I assume the rest of the equipment is already on board?" McLendon asked.

Aylward gestured toward the other end of the hold, where there were a few more metal crates of various sizes.

The staff sergeant acknowledged, and un-clipped his helmet from his belt, securing it on his head. He sealed it to the rest of his suit, then powered on the Heads Up Display. His field of vision came to life with various numbers, meters, sensors and controls that flashed before him. He felt the familiar warmth and tingling as the suit linked with his neural implant at the base of his skull, and felt the activity around him slow slightly. It was an effect of the armor: all impulses from his senses, as well as his motor neurons, now passed directly from his armor to his brain, essentially shortcutting his central nervous system for the most part and quickening his movements, reaction time, and thoughts. He drew his pistol from its holster and aimed it. Instantly, his suit registered and linked the weapon in his hand with his HUD, drawing a small blue ridicule that represented the spot where the bullet would go were the weapon to be fired. Satisfied that his armor was functioning fully and correctly, he re-holstered his sidearm, checked the time - eighteen twenty-nine - and addressed 407th.

"Alright ladies and gentlemen, let's get ready to see where we're going to be spending the next few weeks." With that, he and the rest of the elite team turned toward the main entrance to the hanger, looking into the black void of slipspace that they were about to exit.

Comments ( 30 )

This has been more another one of those 'get-to-know-your characters' chapters, but don't worry; the action will come soon enough. After all, now we know just how much pain these soldiers are capable of dishing out. :rainbowkiss:

"LEEROOOYYY, JEEENKINNNSSS!!!" :rainbowlaugh:

14138
Awwwwww, I was gonna say that :rainbowwild:

Fantastic job BIG MAC. I am loving this fic :pinkiehappy:

Amazing job man this is definitely one of my most anticipated fics! You really quick on the chapter release too which is awesome, especially since I didn't see anything wrong with it (except for one case when you used the word predecessor instead of successor when describing the dropship, sorry I'm kinda a grammar nazi :P Excellent job with everything though.

10453
that is wrong, there are spartans other than MC alive, the latest book Glasslands: coming out on the 25th, is focused on the other surviving spartans and everything that goes on between Halo 3 and 4. do some research someime... >.>

:ajsmug:

14559
There are no Spartans in this story. Just a few ODST's and your typical Marines.

#7 · Oct 19th, 2011 · · ·

You know bad ass shit is going to happen when someone sneaks some of the heavy stuff with everything else. :rainbowdetermined2:

When in the name of Equestria is chapter 3 coming out? I love this so much!!!

#9 · Oct 23rd, 2011 · · ·

i want more i like this story when is chapter 3

SO... when will you update?:derpyderp1:

31308 :pinkiecrazy: WE MEAN IT!!!!!!!!!!!

33837

You, my good sir, are a genius. Going through to make a whole poem, and it appears that you did it right off the top of your head, too. :rainbowlaugh:

Also, I know I know.... I haven't been able to write a lot lately, because 1. My mom is holding my computer hostage until my D grade in chemistry comes up, so I only have access to the school's computers for about thirty minutes a day during lunch, and 2. I've been focusing more on drawing lately, because of the lack of computer access. So yeah. BUTm fret not, I'll be getting my computer back in two days at the start of Thanksgiving break, so I'll have a full ten days of free time to get a lot done. :eeyup:

34018 Thanks! Actually, I understand COMPLETELY, having only recently gotten my D in spanish up to an A.
Grade for TERM 2 - Q2 11/05/11 - 01/27/12 304.80 A
Assign Category Points Earned Points Possible Percent Earned Grade

Class Participation (26.00% of TERM 2 Grade) 20.00 2.00 1000.00 A
CLS 11/22/11 Food Drive 20.00 2.00 1000.00 A
Homework (26.00% of TERM 2 Grade) 0.00 52.00 0.00 F
HW 11/07/11 El cuento del sandwich 0.00 52.00 0.00 F
Tests (48.00% of TERM 2 Grade) 28.00 30.00 93.33 A
TEST 11/09/11 Prueba de las botas 28.00 30.00 93.33 A

:rainbowlaugh::rainbowwild: Talk about some effin' good grade, yes? 1000% on extra credit. :scootangel:

that's a 304.80 with an A.
34460

I want more chapters!
This is great!

38197 Yosh! MOAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:flutterrage::flutterrage::flutterrage:

Can't wait for some brute busting!!!!!! :rainbowlaugh::pinkiegasp: I love it so far and can't wait for more chapters! :twilightsmile:

Can't wait for some brute busting!!!!!! :rainbowlaugh::pinkiegasp: I love it so far and can't wait for more chapters! :twilightsmile:

93742 Thank you, I do what I can.

i cant wait til another chapter

122841
I've never read any of the books.

I couldn't help but notice this hasn't been updated in awhile :fluttershysad:, that means it will be that way for a good deal longer :ajbemused:, I love this story and want more!!!! :heart: :applecry:

YA LET'S GET IT ON!!!!!!!! U-N-S-C!!!!!!!!!!!! :flutterrage:

No update since October? Is this dead? It really looked promising.

*crys* but but...it was just starting to get really good :fluttercry:

pleasse bring out more of this fanfic, it sounds awsome

Tracking - Update quick, please!

This is awesome, BUT Y U NO DO MOAR??:twilightangry2:

Login or register to comment