• Published 5th Apr 2013
  • 18,476 Views, 157 Comments

Where's the Fire? - Vin Diesels Go-Kart



Thomas was one of Comstock's elite guardsman. Battle hardened and devoutly loyal; nothing could prevent the fireman from reclaiming their lost lamb....

  • ...
10
 157
 18,476

Chapter 7: Anything Goes, Everything Burns

Thomas didn't have much time to think. The tentacle had already dragged him to where he was only a few feet away from the gaping mouth. As the Fireman looked into the opening, all he saw were rows and rows of black teeth, spinning and twisting in ways that didn't look natural. Thomas knew that if the beast managed to pull him in there, it would be all over.

Quickly, he reached out and grabbed the tentacle firmly in one hand, using the other to desperately grab whatever he could to slow the monster's progress. Thomas was careful not to grasp any of the sharp looking spikes that dotted the large appendage and began heating his palm as much as possible. Smoke began rising from the burning grip as his idea began to yield success. The creature roared in pain as the tentacle released its grip from the Fireman and retreated back into the gullet from whence it came.

"Twilight!!" he shouted, praying the alicorn hadn't simply abandoned him out of fear. Thomas struggled to his feat before the creature began stabbing at him with its massive claws. He quickly ducked out of the way and hopped from side to side, trying to avoid the creature's merciless jabs. Fatigue began to set in as the Fireman's movements began slowing down. The beast roared again, gearing up for a final attack, but was interrupted by a bright flash of light. Thomas looked over to see Twilight teleport back into view, but this time she brought something with her.

His eyes widened as the princess' horn lit up and she began powering the devices that now sat next to her, loaded up and ready to go.

"Stay down!" she instructed, pointing three newly acquired Riveters at the large monster. It paid her little mind as it sought to defeat its first opponent, but was interrupted by the sudden assault of steel bolts. The Ophiotaurus let out an agonized shriek when the projectiles pierced its thick flesh. Some bolts harmlessly bounced off the tough skin, while others found more success penetrating some of the softer areas.

While Twilight pointed two of the weapons at the beast's midsection and tail, the third one she aimed right at the bull head, sending bolts into one of the creature's eyes and several of the snake heads. The serpent heads promptly retreated as the beast charged at the firing Riveters. The tentacles quickly smashed two of the weapons to pieces while the creature grabbed the third with one of its claws and threw it clear across the forest. Twilight swiftly teleported next to Thomas while the monster continued to pulverize the two remaining weapons.

"Thanks for the distraction." the Fireman said gratefully.

"I hope it gave you some time to think." the princess responded.

"Yeah, I'm gonna try something, but your probably not gonna like it." he admitted. Twilight shot him a look.

"What kind of something?" she asked suspiciously.

"Something stupid."

Twilight sighed. "I was afraid you were going to say that."

The giant creature finished its anger filled assault on the Riveters and quickly turned back to the Fireman and princess.

"Get behind something." Thomas quickly commanded. He walked toward to the beast as Twilight teleported behind a group of supply crates. She continued to watch from safety, fearful of what the Fireman might attempt.

Thomas effortlessly pulled a spear out of the ground next to him. He examined it to make sure it was sharp; it would need to be for what he was about to attempt. The bull head regarded him with its one good eye. Blood was streaming down its face, but the monster didn't seem to notice. The two remaining tentacles slithered further out of its torso, ready to smash the Fireman has they did the Riveters.

Thomas held the spear in one hand while charging the other. He pointed his charged arm at the creature, provoking it to attack. As the beast's claws and tentacles headed straight for the Fireman, he let loose a large cloud of smoke before dodging the incoming attack. The monster barely missed the Fireman, who quickly retaliated in the shroud of smog.

The Ophiotaurus growled as it lost track of its limbs in the growing cloud. Then it roared as it felt the Fireman's attacks. It retracted its appendages out of reflex and Twilight gasped when she saw that it had lost both claws and a tentacle from the engagement. The monster's resulting shriek seemed to shake the forest's very foundation. It slammed its tail down, clearing away the smoke and revealing the fireman standing next to the cut limbs, spear still in gloved hand. Thomas didn't wait as he ran toward the creature, barely able to dodge the relentless assault of its other tentacle. He reached the part of the creature where its torso became the large serpent tail, and quickly cut his way into that part of its body.

Twilight looked on in shock as the creature thrashed around, attempting to get distance between itself and the Fireman, but Thomas stayed close as he finished cutting a large gash in the snake body. He then proceeded to pull the gash apart and wiggle his way into the creature itself. Another roar from the thrashing beast caused a nearby tent to collapse. It quickly sent the tentacle into the opening as well, trying to fish the intruder out. Twilight lost track of where Thomas was, unsure of which route he had taken, but the tentacle continued to slither its way deeper into the monster. The snake heads went back into the bull's mouth. Twilight couldn't begin to guess on the creature's anatomy, but she was sure the snakes were trying to intercept the Fireman before he could reach anything vital.

Another loud shriek from the beast signified that Thomas was still making progress, and Twilight could now see smoke billowing out of the creature's mouth. She had a good idea of what the Fireman was trying to do. The tentacle that Thomas had burned earlier snaked out of the creature's midsection and began bashing its own torso. The creature had started mutilating itself, desperate to stop the Fireman from causing more damage. Smoke could be seen coming from every orifice now. Even the holes made by the steel bolts began letting off wisps of smoke and the bull's eye stopped bleeding as if it was cauterized from the inside. The monster's breathing became much more labored and it began swaying back and forth. It wasn't long before the beast collapsed onto its stomach, unmoving as the crackling of flames could be heard from within.

Twilight approached the still creature, jumping slightly as a spear burst through its back and Thomas awkwardly climbed out, his bulky armor making it a difficult process. The Fireman jumped down from the creature, covered in slime and bile. Twilight approached him, but he held a hand out, motioning her to stop. She backed off as Thomas charged himself up and heated his entire body, quickly evaporating and burning away the grime from his armor.

"Well that was an experience." the Fireman said, shivering a little.

"That......was amazing." Twilight said, barely able to speak.

He looked back at the creature, which was now almost entirely engulfed in flames.

"We can go now, right?" Twilight asked, not wanting to remain in the camp any longer.

"Yeah, I got what I came for." the Fireman said, looking down at his armor.

The two headed off toward the treeline, when a strange sound stopped them in their tracks. They looked back to see a bluish white ball hovering above the burning creature. It radiated an aura that was unlike anything either of them had ever seen before.

"Uh, Twilight, What is that thing?" Thomas asked.

"I have no idea. It looks like some sort of energy, but I couldn't even make a guess on specifics." she replied, dumbfounded.

The ball of energy steadily moved toward the two, stopping right in front of the Fireman. Thomas took a step back, cautiously regarding the strange ball floating before him.

Twilight gasped. "I think I read something about this." she said, looking over at the dead Ophiotaurus. It had stopped burning and was now a smoldering pile of blackened ash.

"Mind enlightening me?"

"Well, legend has it that if one were to actually slay an Ophiotaurus and then burn its entrails, they would be granted great power. This power could be used to defeat even the mightiest of foes; or so the story goes." she explained.

The ball of light continued to hover in place, as if waiting for Thomas to grab it.

"So what do I do?"

"Well I suppose you just reach out and touch it."

The Fireman hesitantly raised his hand and placed it on the ball. It didn't feel solid, but he could tell there was something there when his hand passed into the sphere. Suddenly, the energy reacted to his touch, completely enveloping the Fireman in the strange aura. Thomas shouted in surprise, unable to move as the light covered every inch of his body. The light began to pulsate and change color, going from bluish white to a deep red.

"Twilight?!"

The alicorn simply stared in awe, transfixed by the shear beauty of the spectacle. Three orbs began forming from the aura that still surrounded the Fireman. They spun around as the pulsating light became so fast that it was barely noticeable anymore. A loud humming began emanating from the orbs as they spun faster, and a large column of light appeared that seemingly reached up to the heavens themselves.

The princess covered her face with a hoof, shielding her eyes from the pure light. It grew brighter, lighting up the entire area before suddenly going out. The forest quickly returned to its dark atmosphere and nothing could be heard but the soft chirping of insects in the nearby trees. As Twilight put her hoof down, she saw no evidence of the strange ball of energy. The Fireman began looking around as well, no longer paralyzed by the powerful force.

"What happened?" Thomas asked with confusion.

"I don't know. The light just vanished."

The alicorn walked over and inspected the Fireman, looking for any changes.

"It doesn't look like anything's different. Do you feel any different?" she inquired.

"No. I felt something when I was covered by that light, but I don't feel it anymore." he replied.

"That's so strange. I've never witnessed anything quite like that before."

"Well a lot of good it did me." Thomas muttered sarcastically, a bit disappointed.

"I guess that could have just been some sort of anomaly. The whole 'great power' thing is just an old legend anyway." Twilight concluded.

Thomas couldn't begin to explain to the alicorn what he had felt. It was exciting yet calming at the same time, his mind was clear of all worries, distractions, and pain. It was as if the Fireman had reached some sort of peace that had eluded him his entire life, but where did it go?

"We can leave now, right?" Twilight asked.

"Yeah, we can head out."

"Good. I don't want to be in this forest any longer than I have to."

Thomas looked back up at where the strange ball had been hovering, before turning back to the princess.

"Alright, let's go." he agreed. The two quickly made their way out of the forest and back toward Ponyville.

* * *

Princess Celestia sat in a large chariot, staring out a window at the passing clouds. Ever since she received the letter from Princess Twilight, her mind was quite troubled. Apparently the popular belief was that this strange creature she wrote about was sent to their world from another, an idea that would have the top intellectual minds in Canterlot laughing their rumps off. Even Twilight sounded skeptical in her writing, but if this creature truly was from another world, it would certainly complicate things.

Another thing that had the princess worried was, of course, the creature itself. Twilight noted that this being had a bit of a temper, along with strange fire wielding abilities. Fire spells weren't rare by any means, but the way Twilight had described it, as if it was somehow one with the flames, was odd to say the least.

"Sister, you seem troubled."

Celestia turned to her sister Luna, who was sitting across from her in the chariot. The younger alicorn was interested in this other worldly creature and had requested to join the sun princess on the trip to Ponyville. Celestia saw no harm in it and always enjoyed her sister's company. The two princesses were sitting next to a squad of Royal Guards who were brought on as an added safety precaution. Celestia didn't think she'd need them, but for the protection of her subjects, she decided to bring them along.

"It's nothing Luna, I'm just a bit anxious, that's all." the larger alicorn reassured.

"Do you feel this creature will pose a threat?"

"I'm not sure. Twilight said it was looking for a way back to its own world. Apparently she feels that I might know a way to do that."

"From what young Twilight described, it sounds like some demon from Tartarus, if you ask me." Luna suggested.

Celestia thought for a moment. "I don't think so. Twilight seemed to be under the impression that this being wasn't from any plain of existence that we're familiar with. As if it was something beyond the scope of our knowledge."

"Is such a thing possible, sister? A creature entering our world from a completely different dimension?"

"If this being turns out to be, then I suppose that question will have been answered. These things are new to me as well, and I don't wish to speculate too much on matters that I do not yet understand. Let's meet this creature before coming to any conclusions."

Luna still looked concerned. "If this creature thinks you can help it get back home, what are we to do when it finds out that you know nothing about such concepts?"

Princess Celestia looked back out the window as the outskirts of Ponyville came into view. She shifted uneasily in her seat when the chariot began its descent.

"I pray the creature will be understanding." she finally said.

"And if it is not?" Luna inquired.

Celestia let out a light sigh. "Then I pray we will be up to the challenge of responding accordingly."

The younger alicorn nodded her head, understanding her sister's implication. The two then sat in silence for the remainder of the trip, mentally preparing for whatever they might meet below.