• Published 30th Mar 2013
  • 2,309 Views, 23 Comments

No Destiny - TheBrianJ



A pony with no destiny makes a stop at a small bakery in a quiet town

  • ...
1
 23
 2,309

A Snowy Night

Evening had descended over Ponyville. The moon was full, and clouds lazily drifted across the sky, dropping snowflakes wherever they went. The streets were already blanketed in a layer of snow, and with the clouds showing no signs of stopping, the town was relatively quiet. Most ponies used the night as an excuse to stay off the streets, instead remaining cozy in their houses, curling up with a good book or that special somepony they had in their lives.

Most of the stores in Ponyville had closed early, but one building remained open. It wasn't a surprise, as the owners didn't have anyplace to go; the store was also their home, so there was no need to close up shop just yet. The light coming from the windows was the only artificial light in Ponyville, and the sign hanging off the front of the building gently swayed in the breeze, the snow not enough to cover the cupcake carved into it.

Though it was still open, the inside of Sugarcube Corner wasn’t busy. Only one table was occupied, and the two ponies at the table were just talking, enjoying each other's company. Mr. Cake was cleaning up the kitchen after a long day of baking, while Mrs. Cake was carrying Pound and Pumpkin over to small cradle, both babies sound asleep.

Just as Mrs. Cake put the babies into the crib, a jingling came from the front door. A pony wrapped in a torn blue cloak trotted in, carrying a knapsack on her back. She sat down at a small table, taking her cloak off and spreading her wings out, flapping a few times before curling them up. She opened up her bag and looked for something as Mrs. Cake walked over.

"Hello there!" she chirped. "I don't think I've ever seen you in Ponyville before."

The pegasus laughed, still searching through her bag. "Considering I just got here like five minutes ago, you wouldn't." She dug further into the bag, finally producing a single bit. "This is all I have. Could I get a half of a bagel or something?"

Mrs. Cake looked down at coin. "That's all you have? No, this won't do at all. Let me get you a nice bowl of Dew Drop Soup to warm you up. It’s a local favorite!”

She walked back behind the counter and gave the order to Mr. Cake, and the pegasus tossed the coin back into her bag, zipping it up. She leaned back and stretched her arms out, then looked over at the two ponies at the other table, who were now looking back at her.

"Hiya!" one of them said. "You must be new in town! I'm Bon Bon, this is Lyra. Nice to meetcha!"

The pegasus rolled her eyes. "Geez, are all the ponies here this nice? I only just got here, no need to treat me like your best friend."

Bon Bon gasped. "Well I never! I was just trying to be friendly!"

"Yeah, and I'm just trying to be me."

Bon Bon stood up, but Lyra reached a hoof out and held her back. "Don't bother, Bon Bon," she said. "If she wants to be a jerk, let her be a jerk. We don't need to let her attitude ruin our night."

Mrs. Cake gulped, then put on her best smile. "So, uh, what brings you to Ponyville?" she asked, hoping to diffuse the situation.

The pegasus leaned back in her chair. "I'm looking for my destiny."

"What?" Mrs. Cake replied in confusion.

"You heard me. I don't have a destiny anymore, so I'm off to find a new one."

"I, um..." Mrs. Cake stuttered, not sure how to continue. "I'm not sure what you mean, dearie. You have a cutie mark, so shouldn't that—" She didn't get a chance to finish as a laugh from the pegasus quieted her.

"What, this thing?" she asked, pointing at the mark on her flank. "If this told me my destiny, then why in tartarus am I here, and not up in Cloudsdale?"

The pony folded her arms and blew the hair out of her face. Mrs. Cake looked back at her husband for a second, then trotted over and sat down next to the pegasus.

"Is everything alright?" she quietly said.

The pegasus scoffed. "Excuse me?"

"I can tell when somepony is distressed, sweetie. I've seen enough ponies come through Sugarcube Corner to know that you're hiding something."

She was met with a sigh, and the pony leaned back on her hooves again. "Hiding? I got nothing to hide. I worked my whole life for one goal, for my destiny. A few weeks ago, I got the opportunity to achieve it. So I worked my flank off for it. I lost friends, I lost my job, I wasn't able to make rent and got kicked out, but I knew it was okay because I was doing it all for my dream. Then, I screwed up. Screwed up royally, and got kicked out. The door closed, probably forever. Now, I got nothing... no friends, no place to stay, no money, and no destiny."

Mrs. Cake shook her head in sadness. She reached over and patted the pony on the shoulder. "Oh, sweetie, I'm so sorry. I can only imagine—"

The pegasus jerked her shoulder away. "I don't need pity. I'm fine! I'm doing great! If anything, it was nice to learn that everything I was told as a kid was a lie. That working hard and striving to be the best doesn't mean jack. Now, I feel free! I got literally nothing to tie me down!"

"Honey, don't say things like that," Mrs. Cake replied. "You need a place to stay, you need friends. You're just upset."

"No I'm not! I'm fine!" the pegasus replied, backing up. "I don't need anything! I'll do fine, I'll be fine! I'm the best flyer in Equestria, I know that I'll find a new destiny!"

Mrs. Cake sighed and stood up, just as Mr. Cake placed a cup of soup on the counter. Mrs. Cake took the edge of the plate in her teeth and carefully set it in front of the pegasus.

"Here you go, dearie. It's on the house."

The pegasus nodded as Mrs. Cake walked to the back, leaving her alone. Her appetite had disappeared, so she just stared down at the steaming bowl for a second before leaning her head back against the wall, sighing. Her head tilted to the side and she stared out the window.

Outside, the snow was slowly falling. She had rarely seen snow from the ground before—usually, she was the one causing the snow up in Cloudsdale—and it momentarily struck her how pretty it looked from this angle. The moonlight reflected off the snowflakes, covering Ponyville in a glow that she hadn't seen in any other city before.

Across the street, a unicorn trotted through the snow, floating a massive pile of firewood behind her. Next to her, a small purple dragon held a few pieces of firewood himself, struggling to keep up with his companion. He tripped over his feet and fell face first into the snow, but almost immediately was lifted up by magic and dropped on the pony's back. The dragon reached out and hugged the pony around the neck, and she smiled as she continued trotting along.

The pegasus blinked a few times, then looked over at the two ponies at the other table. Bon Bon just about to take the last bite of her sandwich when Lyra leaned over and happily nuzzled her cheek. Bon Bon blushed and patted Lyra on the head, and the two remained embraced for a few moments.

The pegasus sighed, looking over at Mrs. Cake. The pony was smiling, gently rocking a cradle back and forth. The two babies in the cradle were cuddled up together, snoring contently.

"This is a different kind of town, isn't it?"

Mrs. Cake looked up. "Hmm?"

"It's not like Cloudsdale, where everything is all about competition. You guys weren't just putting on a show, this place really is that kind."

Mrs. Cake nodded. "Yup. Equestria can be a little crazy at times, but for the most part, Ponyville is our own little slice of heaven."

Before she could reply, a rumbling came from the pegasus' gut. She blushed, then picked up the spoon and stared down at her soup. She could feel the owner's eyes on her, so she took a small spoonful and sipped it.

Maybe it was her surroundings—the warmth of the small shop, the pleasant steam coming from the soup, or just the sight of the snow falling past the window. It could have been the ponies around her—the couple at the table who were making cheerful conversation and just seemed happy to be around each other, or the kindness of the owner of the shop, or just the pleasant image of the two babies sound asleep in the cradle. Perhaps it was simply because she hadn't had a proper meal in a day.

Whatever it was, the soup was the most delicious she had in her life.

She abandoned the spoon, lifting the bowl up to her snout and drinking down as much as she could. The warmth of it spread through her body, eradicating the slight chill that had plagued her all day. Within a minute, the bowl was empty, and she leaned back in her chair, her eyes closed, just savoring the flavor on her tongue. Mrs. Cake chuckled as she took the empty bowl away and brought it back to her husband, and she mumbled something to him. Mr. Cake's face lit up and he nodded excitedly, and Mrs. Cake looked back at the guest.

The pegasus' eyes finally opened, and she looked over at Mrs. Cake. She didn't have much to say, but she spoke anyway.

"It's nice. This place is really, really nice," she quietly said, not thinking about the words.

"Why, thank you," Mrs. Cake replied, not bothering to hide her smile. "We appreciate that."

The pegasus looked down at her knapsack, and reality came rushing back to her. She sighed, throwing the coat over her back and picking up the knapsack. "Well, thanks for the meal. I'm off."

Mrs. Cake cocked her head. "Do you have a place to sleep?"

The pegasus laughed. "Of course not. I'll sleep under the stars! I'll be fine."

Mrs. Cake gasped. "What? But it's absolutely frigid outside! You can't just sleep out there."

"Who says? I did it last night, I'll do it again tonight. That's what I have to do! I can't just stop to rest in some hotel, after all: I gotta find my new destiny! I'm not gonna find one if I don't get out there and search, now am I?"

Mrs. Cake looked back at her husband in concern. They nodded at each other, and she stepped forward, putting her hoof on the pegasus' shoulder. "Dearie... I know you're upset about something. But that doesn't mean you don't have a destiny, and it certainly doesn't mean you have to punish yourself like this."

"I'm not punishing myself, and I'm not upset! I don't need them, I don't need the Wond—"

"Stop," Mrs. Cake said. "Just please, listen for a minute. It just so happens that my husband and I need a part-time worker here. We have one, but she tends to be a little preoccupied with adventures. If you need some way to make money back, we'd be more than happy to provide you with a job for a few weeks to make some bits.”

The pegasus scoffed. “Excuse me? I’ve known you for like ten minutes and you’re offering me a job?”

“I’ve always believed in helping the less fortunate, and it sounds like you’ve hit a very rough patch,” Mrs. Cake replied. “I just want to help you. We even have a cot down in the basement if you need a place to stay. It's not much, but—"

She wasn't able to continue, as the pegasus pushed away and backed up to the door. "I’m not less fortunate, and I don't want your damn pity! I'm fine, everything is fine! My destiny isn't to be working in a bakery, I'm a pegasus! I'm the best flyer in Equestria, I'm going to find something better! I'd rather have no destiny than one I don't want!"

Before Mrs. Cake could reply, the pegasus jerked the door open and ran outside, slamming it behind her. Mrs. Cake looked back at her husband, who just shook his head in sadness. She sighed, then walked behind the counter, where Pound and Pumpkin had woken up from the noise of the door slamming. She leaned down and nuzzled them, rocking the cradle back and forth until they were falling back asleep. Mrs. Cake looked out the window for any sign of the pegasus, but finding none, she turned back to her children and leaned down, nuzzling their cheeks as they drifted off.

---

Hours later, the snow hadn't let up. A mile outside of Ponyville, the pegasus huddled under an overhang of rocks and wrapped the cloak around herself tighter.

"There, this is fine!" she said to herself, ignoring her teeth chattering as she sat down on the torn blanket she had stashed in her bag. "I can sleep like this. I don't need a bed!"

She laid down on the blanket and rested her head on her bag, closing her eyes and trying to fall asleep. As the wind picked up, she curled into a ball and wrapped the cloak as tightly as she could, shutting her eyes even tighter. She twisted back and forth under the meager cover for a few minutes trying to keep warm, then pushed her head into the makeshift pillow of her bag. Her eyes opened to stare at her surroundings, and in the far distance, she saw a faint light in the sky. She squinted, then realized what it was: the far-off city of Cloudsdale. She twisted her body around, closing her eyes.

"I don't need them," she muttered. "I'll find a new destiny. They were wrong. I'm the best in the world, I'll find something new."

She closed her eyes as tightly as possible, shivering. Her face started to tremble as she pressed her head into her bag even harder. Something in the back of her mind gave and she sat up, staring in anger at the blip in the distance.

"I don't need any of you!" she screamed, her voice absorbed into the falling snow. "If I can't have my destiny, I'll just find a new one! I-I don't need a place to stay, or a job, or a-anything! I d-don't even n-need a destiny! I... I d-d-don't..."

Her cheeks and eyes had begun to sting from her tears, and her voice gave out on her. She collapsed down and buried her head in her hooves, sobbing uncontrollably. The cloak had fallen off her back and part of her face was pushed into the snow, but she was too far gone to notice, or care, about anything. After minutes of crying, she blearily lifted her head up and stared into the distance. Through her tear-soaked eyes she could barely see anything; the world was almost entirely dark, save for one thing.

A single patch of light, on the ground in the distance.

She stared at it for a while. There was nothing else to look at: the world was dark and blurry except for it. For a second, she could have sworn she tasted the Dew Drop Soup on her tongue again, and saw the smile of the pony who had given it to her.

The pegasus sniffed, then wiped the tears from her eyes. She grabbed everything she could and jammed it all into her knapsack, then stepped out and spread her wings. She tried to take to the air, but her shivering body threw her balance off. She landed, tucking her wings tightly around herself, and galloped off through the snow, towards the only light she could see.

---

Mrs. Cake's eyes fluttered open as a soft noise jostled her from her sleep. She rolled over and closed her eyes again, but the noise continued. She slowly rose up from bed, cocking her head to the side to try to hear it better.

"Mmmph… Is everything okay, honey?" Mr. Cake groggily said, rolling over.

"Do you hear something?"

"It's probably just Pinkie Pie. You know how she likes to stay up late."

"No no," Mrs. Cake said, getting out of bed. "I swear, it's something else. I'll be back in a jiffy."

She threw a robe over herself and left the bedroom, pausing at the top of the stairs and looking around. For a minute she thought it had just been in her head, but her ear shot straight up as she heard the noise again, and was able to pinpoint where it was coming from. She cautiously stepped down the stairs into the main room of Sugarcube Corner. She blearily rubbed her eyes, walking towards the front door.

"Who could be here at this time of night?" she said to herself, then pulled the door open.

On the other side, the pegasus stood. Her cloak and scarf were gone, all that she had was her small knapsack. Her mane was soaked and covered in flecks of snow, and dark circles hung underneath her eyes. Her body shivered and her teeth chattered as she looked up at Mrs. Cake, who gasped.

"Oh my goodness! What are you doing out in the cold so late?!"

The pony just stood, unable to think of an answer. Instead, she just smiled weakly.

"I… Is that cot still available?"

Mrs. Cake took her robe off and threw it over the shivering pegasus. She reached over and pulled the pony in tight, giving her the warmth she so desperately needed.

"Of course it is, dearie."

As Mrs. Cake guided the pony into Sugarcube Corner, the pegasus glanced out the side window. Ponyville was lit by the moon reflecting off of the snowflakes still falling, but now that a few scattered street lanterns had been lit, the town was bathed in a warm, inviting glow. She instinctively pushed herself closer to Mrs. Cake, nuzzling under her chin as she turned back to the interior of Sugarcube Corner. Mrs. Cake reached a door and pulled it open, leading to a small staircase into the basement.

"Like I said, it isn't much. But it's certainly better than outside."

She turned on a light, revealing a basement well-stocked with spices and baking ingredients along the walls. Folded up in one corner was a folded up cot, and she unfolded it as the pegasus kept her head low to the ground, staring at the first bed she had seen in well over a week.

"T-thank you so much…"

"It's quite alright. I always have believed in helping out a pony in need, and it seems like you are in a rough period, miss…" Mrs. Cake trailed off, then looked at her guest. "I'm sorry, I just realized I never even got your name."

"L-Li… Lightn…" was all the pegasus said before she choked on her words and sniffled. Mrs. Cake smiled.

"You know what? Don't worry about it. Right now, what you need is a good night's rest. Tomorrow morning we can talk. For now, just make yourself comfortable."

Mrs. Cake smiled and finished setting the bed up, then gave a happy nod to the pegasus and walked back up the stairs, closing the door behind her. The pegasus wearily climbed into the bed, pulling the covers over herself and letting her head be enveloped by the pillow. She stared up at the ceiling, as if its mere presence was something completely foreign to her, before she turned to the side. Near the ceiling of the basement was a small window, and she gazed out it.

A lone street lantern flickered in the night, the flame whipping back and forth but never quite going out, and its color reflected off the snowflakes still falling past the window. The only sounds she could hear were the occasional rustling of an animal outside, and the gentle creak of floorboards coming from upstairs.

She closed her eyes. Within seconds, she could feel herself drifting away, her body giving up to the sleep it so desperately needed. In that moment, just before she completely fell asleep, a curious feeling swam through her that for now, everything was going to be fine. That here, everything was perfect.

It wasn't the destiny that she wanted. But for now, it was the one that she needed.

Comments ( 23 )
Comment posted by Jka22_419 deleted Mar 30th, 2013

Oh you beautiful person you. Wonderfully written. Almost a shame that it's complete. I would have loved to see a continuation of this, but you ended it so well that I don't mind leaving it as is.

Hmm, yes, I had a feeling of just who the pegasus was. A very nice story indeed. :moustache:

I absolutely love this.

i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/520/964/9d7.gif
Don't worry Lightning Dust, Rainbow Dash will be your friend.:rainbowdetermined2:
You just need to learn how to live in a friendlier environment!

2346582

Haven't closed the door on a sequel...

2346995

It was tough to decide if I wanted to put her tag in or not, but I decided to let the reader figure it out by the end.

2347159

Thank you for the kind words!

Also, I am now very curious as to what Jka22 said, he deleted his comment before I got a chance to read it...

Very nice!

What is this sensation in my chest? It feels like a... :heart:

lol Anyone else thinking RD for a second?

You do wonder what happened to Lightning Dust after she had to take that long walk down Washout Boulevard. Pegasus society does seem very unforgiving of failure, weakness or even simply not coming first; that's probably where Rainbow and Fluttershy's little neuroses on the subject originate.

Still, there is no place quite like Ponyville in finding the best in everypony and helping them out. Hmm... I wonder if Trixie needs a new sidekick?

That was wonderful.

...wow...I never gave much thought to this character, or what happened to them. Honestly though, it does make sense, and given what we know of her, this only seems to firm up that opinion.
Still, this was expertly handled, and I applaud you for excellent use of character development!

JAG

Cool, I was hoping it'd be Lightning Dust. She doesn't get anywhere near enough attention from the fandom these days. And I like your take on her backstory; giving up everything in singleminded pursuit of her goal definitely seems like something she'd do. Hopefully some time in Ponyville will help her straighten things out. I'd absolutely be up for a sequel if you decide to write one.

Damn it...

Best redemption story ever....

Well, I feel so.. Incomplete now that this says complete. I hope that there is a sequel in the future.
:twilightsmile:

That was lovely :pinkiesmile: Good decision on not revealing the identity of the pony until the end, it made the reading much more interesting. Great job.

I had a feeling it might be Lightning Dust. Initially, the pony was acting a lot like Rainbow Dash, but that didn't make sense. Then, the pieces fell into place and :rainbowderp: :fluttercry: :heart:

Really nice story. Short. Sweet. Well-written. Oh, and a sequel would really hit the spot.

Great fic, but it really feels like this should be the first chapter in a longer story rather than the only chapter.

3785298

About that... Yeah, stay tuned :pinkiehappy:

Ponyville is a slice of paradise, isn't it?
Oh, and here's a tip - always walk towards the light when caught in a storm! :raritywink:

Good writing my good sir!

This was great. Would love to see a follow up.

Login or register to comment