• Published 4th Apr 2013
  • 2,672 Views, 99 Comments

Fallout: Equestria - Gaia Prevails - John Colt



The Wastelands! Where everyone is his special kind of crazy. I can, however, claim that I'm special! Nightmare freaking Moon wants me to be her new host. Umm... fun stuff...

  • ...
12
 99
 2,672

Chapter Twelve: Truth

Charter Twelve

Truth


Craft patted me on the head. I knew it had to be her as the only two other ponies in this base are in front of me. She then walked around, and I looked right at her.

“A- Are you seeing her right now?” Cirrus followed my gaze to see if she could see Craft herself. Craft shrugged her shoulders.

“Yeah... yeah, I... I can see her.” I kept staring at Craft as if I was looking forward to... something. Her vanishing into thin air or denying whatever’s going on.

For a while everypony just stared at one another with varying expressions of utter confusion and insecurity.

Turbulence broke the silence. “What happened?”

I calmly stated the truth. “I raped Cirrus in her sleep,” He looked to Cirrus, and sniffed the air. Her juices, although dried already, were clearly present. Cirrus blushed furiously. “and then I tried to do the same thing to you.”

There was a pause again. I didn’t know what I expected, neither did they for that matter. How the hell is this going to continue? “Oh, this is gonna be good.” Craft leaned against the wall, crossed her forehoofs and made an expression like she was watching a slapstick comedy.

Cirrus managed do form a question. “And why did you do that?”

“I...” What was it Craft said about rape? “I wanted control, I... I needed that control.”

“Aideen, I kinda didn’t want to say anything about that... uhm... The barding of yours... It’s a dyed version of the barding the Crimson Company give their... slaves. I thought I recognized it. That means...” I closed my eyes, waiting for him to say it out loud, but he didn’t.

“Barding for a slave... and you need control, b-because... you never... had it.” I opened my eyes again, and saw Cirrus covering her mouth, staring at the floor in total shock. Even poor, innocent Cirrus managed to count two and two together.

“I’m so sorry, I didn’t want to hurt you when I woke up, and... and took control.” Turbulence was actually apologizing...

“YOU’RE SUPPOSED TO BE ANGRY! Don’t you dare pity me for the shit I’ve been though!”

“I’m not pitying you, Aideen. I’m... I can’t imagine the strength it took to survive what has happened to you. I know that smart minds take mental suffering especially hard...” He paused for a moment and looked to the floor, but quickly continued. “For what it’s worth... I’d willingly surrender control.”

“Oh, this...” Craft pointed at Turbulence. “This is good, you should definitely take that offer.”

“You... what?”

“I don’t know what to do down here in the wastelands, but I do know that you have a plan. And I’d like to help. You play chess with me, have you any idea when it was the last time someone willingly played with me? Since I got my cutiemark. You’re gorgeously hot, and I like you. We can work through your issues. You can't do that alone.”

I stared at him, mouth agape. Cirrus stared at him, mouth agape. Craft stared at him, broadly smiling. He stared into space, not sure if he really just said that.

“That didn’t come out right.” He looked around, searching for an better explanation. “Ahh... But I meant it.” He looked to Cirrus. “What? Don’t judge me. Sex is great, and if I can show a friend that, by having sex with her, it’s kinda a win-win.”

“Okay.” Cirrus nodded. “I’ll help too.”

Turbulence’s time to stare at Cirrus... for her statement she want to help me too, she retorted with a stare of her own. Are they... having a stare fight? This has stopped making sense about an hour ago, but if I had to guess they were fighting over me.

“Yes, threesome-time. Ohh, I can imagine it vividly.” Craft’s commentary isn’t helping. “The two of them erotically doing nothing, while you stand there and have no idea what to do.” That seems about right.

I scratched my head. “I- I think I am going to sleep now.” I turned around and slowly walked to my room, expecting them to say something else, or stop me, or... or something. But I reached the door without interference, so I had to turn around to look at them.

Both were looking after me. Turbulence was biting his lip again and frowned. Cirrus’ expression was almost blank, but her eyes were somewhat widened. I think they agree with me that we all should think in private about what has just happened.

The moment the door closed behind me, I dared to address Craft. “Craft, why are you not real?” I looked around to see if she was there, but had no such luck.

“Uhh... I don’t know.” She appeared next to me. If it would have been anyone else suddenly appearing, I would have probably been startled, not Craft though... “Why are you real?”

I almost had to laugh. “Don’t turn this around on me.”

“I mean philosophically. What is real?” Here we go... “You see me, you hear me, you can feel me.” She stroked back a strand of my mane. Okay, this was actually kind of creepy. “But only for you.”

“Are you, like, a ghost, that only I can see?” I had to make sense of this somehow.

“No, I’m only in your head.” Craft’s words were like a reassurance that I’m insane. “And don’t say ‘like’. It’s unbecoming for your intellect.”

“So, what are you exactly?”

“You went through emotional and physical trauma, and you’re smart, so your defense mechanism is a little more refined. But hey, at least now you don’t have to worry about wanting to be like me anymore, I’ve been a part of you all along.”

“You’re a defense mechanism?” Would that make sense. “And I don’t want to be a jerk.” At least that much I’m certain of.

“You also should think of new insults for me,” I really should, shouldn’t I? I usually don’t even curse “and no, my jerkyness is only to push you into the right directions, I think... Anyway don’t copy that.”

“You think? What is ‘you think’ supposed to mean? You know or you don’t?”

“Nope, because you don’t know, that’s kinda how it works. You should read a book about insanity so we will have more information.”

“I’m not insane.” Though I really should look that up. I know of multiple personality disorder, but this isn’t really what I am experiencing, after all I can simply talk and interact with Craft, even touch her.

“Well, you’re certainly not normal either.”

“Who would want to be normal anyway...”

“That’s the spirit.”

My PipBuck beeped, indicating the next memory has loaded. That’s good, I could use something other than my life to concentrate on right now. “I gotta view this.”

“Yeah, see you soon.”

> Memorhedron is fully charged and ready to use.
> Next memory in queue: Nightmare Moon – July 3, 1000
> Length: 0 hours 21 minutes 36 seconds.
> Load memory?
> load

<=======ʌʌɅ Ʌʌʌ=======>

Spellfield was walking next to Princess Celestia down a hallway. There were guardsponies at some of the doors, and the décor looked fancy enough for me to assume this was Canterlot Castle.

“Are you sure about this?” Interesting introduction to a memory when Spellfield doesn’t conceal his doubts. “With all due respect, Princess.” He added as a sign of respect, as one of the guards looked up at how Spellfield can so casually talk to Princess Celestia.

“All parties involved will benefit from this.” She spoke way more regally than when she had been alone with Spellfield. It’s all for the audience, even if that audience consists only her guards.

Spellfield only nodded in response, and they continued to walk through the corridors of Canterlot Castle. They came to a door important enough to be guarded by four guards. Celestia nodded to them that Spellfield was truly allowed to pass together with her. Okay, now I was really interested.

Behind the door was another corridor. It wasn’t illuminated well, but I think that was intentional. Princess Luna stepped out of a door adorned with a crescent moon. She had a bounce in her movement and greeted Celestia without constrained. “Swéte sweo-” her eyes fell on Spellfield. “-stor.” Her eyes widened when she realized how normal and unprincesslike she just behaved in front of one of her subjects.

I’ve seen pictures of Princess Luna before, but never ones of her before the war. She was looking really good without makeup hiding the bags under her eyes, and was altogether a very pretty mare. Wait, was Spellfield checking her out? He then bowed deeply before her. Well played, Spellfield. Well played. “Princess Luna, it’s a pleasure to finally meet you. My name is Spellfield.”

“Luna, I’d like you to meet Professor Spellfield, he’s a teacher at my school of magic, a royal adviser, and a good friend of mine.” Celestia explained.

“Then it is my very good honor to meet thee, Professor Spellfield,” Luna smiled and returned a small bow. “Fréond to Celestia.” There was something about the way she said ‘friend’ that strikes me as odd, but it wasn’t her pronunciation.

“It’s not like that.” I took a moment to realize that Luna probably assumed Celestia and Spellfield were lovers and she get to meet him for the first time for that reason.

“Ac, pray tell, thou mentioned thou ‘finally’, meet me. Hast my sister informed thee anent mine return?”

“Yes, and I am actually one of the reasons why you are here right now.”

“Spellfield and I worked on a way to clear the way for you, Luna. It wasn’t chance that the Elements of Harmony were found mere hours after your return, with suitable bearers capable of using them.” Oh wow, I actually have wondered once before how it was possible that the Elements were found exactly the right time they were needed.

“I personally interviewed hundreds of ponies, and only then we decided that the location for this year's Summer Sun Celebration to be Ponyville. We put them in charge of various things concerning the celebration, and then sent out Twilight Sparkle to supervise the preparations, and meet them all beforehand. With proper planning we made Nightmare Moon look like a saturday morning cartoon villain.” I doubt Princess Luna will get that reference.

“Then it seems I owe you as much gratitude as I do them. I thank thee, Professor Spellfield.” She bowed shortly to him again. “And I thank thee, dearest sister.” She bowed to Celestia too. “I find it hard to believe thou have allowed thyself guidance, Celestia. Or have you changed that much over the past thousand years? Come.” She nodded them to go into one of the rooms, and started walking.

“You are right, of course, it is strange for me to seek out help. But Spellfield has found his way into my life somehow.” They followed her into a cozy little relaxation room. There were a few books about pony history stacked on a small table next to some cushions.

“Don’t sugarcoat it, Celestia. I didn’t spy on you at all.”

“Thou hast spied on thine Princess?”

“I have spied on a pony who showed interests in magics that could have potentially been used for criminal activities.” Ohh, the cushions were really comfy. “When I did that, Celestia has disguised herself. She didn’t notice the spell I used.”

Luna’s seemed amused. “Thou outsmarted Celestia?”

“It was very subtle, and I coupled it with another spell she knew I modified anyway, so... yeah, I’m good at what I do.”

“It wasn’t my proudest moment.” Celestia admitted. “So let’s change the topic.”

“The reason for our visit is for me to reach out a hoof of friendship to you, Princess Luna.”

“I thought you could need a friend too, Luna. Those thousand years I had to wait to see you again were hard on me, but the last two centuries where I could call Spellfield my friend... He helped me a lot, just by knowing what is going on.”

“Then I gladly accept your friendship.”

“Luna, the thing Spellfield thought me is that secrecy only makes it worse. I told him everything about myself.”

“Thou has-?”

“About Axis Mundi, how I became immortal, and how I came to rule Equestria.” This just completely changed my worldview, And she just continues talking without giving me any time to digest it. “You know it too, I told you. But... Luna... I never asked how it happened to you. I know you were a pegasus, but your magical powers always exceeded mine, although I naturally had them as I was born a unicorn. It was Nightmare Moon, right? So... how?”

Luna didn’t respond. I guess that the story: ‘how did you ascend into godhood?’ was a little more private than ‘how did you get your cutiemark?’, considering that only two ponies ever managed to do that. I think I only now realize how freaking insane it is for Celestia and Spellfield to try to ascend Twilight Sparkle.

But if someone is able to pull it off it would be the two of them. They made a plan for Nightmare Moon, and everything seemed to have fallen perfectly in line, exactly how they predicted it. Huh... ‘Predicted’. That’s probably the reason how they made it. Wait... they didn’t pull it off; Twilight didn’t ascend. Now I’m wondering how they could have possibly failed to do so. Well, first they have to get Luna’s story.

“No.” Well, there goes that plan. I couldn’t properly read Luna’s expression.

“Luna, we need to know, so we can do whatever it takes to keep it from happening again.”

“Neigh, ‘tia. Thou do not understand. Whom she chooses, she will get.” That wasn’t comforting.

“Tell us anyway. You will have it off your chest.”

“Thou expect me to reveal my secrets not only to you, but to a stranger?” The words were a rejection, but it sounded more like she wanted more encouragement.

“Yes.” Spellfield confirmed her.

Celestia nodded. “I never pressed that issue before Luna. You- You know my story, and how it... I am ashamed for mine.” I couldn’t even think of what to think of that statement. Celestia is ashamed how she got to be an immortal and powerful alicorn princess?

“Fine...” Luna did something with her magic and a pot of tea appeared on the table next to them. Did she create something from thin air? No, she has got to have used a teleportation spell, there is no way anyone can do that. “Have some tea.” Uhh... she’s preparing for a long story.

“Thank you, Luna. You will feel better afterward.”

“No, I won’t.” Luna smiled, I knew she wasn’t happy but I couldn’t read her “That is the one thing I am sure of, ‘tia; I won’t be better.” She took a deep breath. “I was born a pegasus by the name of Selene, before the traditional way of naming ponies made its way to my village.” Ancient Equestrian History... I knew at some point the traditional naming had to have come up. “My family was the only pegasi-family in the town, so we controlled the weather. For this position of power we weren’t very popular, racism was very widespread in those days.” She took a sip of her tea.

Spellfield looked down into his cup, and for the first time I thought about how hard it must have been for him to grow up as a pony-zebra hybrid in an almost purely pony environment. And if there were zebras he wouldn’t be part of them either. The tea, he sipped on, was too hot to really taste it, but it smelled great.

“’twas the night before my wedding; I was flying outside of town, just... flying around in the night in solitude, like I often did, with the exception that I thought this was the last time I could do so. I wasn’t afraid of the marriage, or anything, this was common procedure back then, and marriages spawned from love were a curiosity.”

“I actually had an arranged one myself, Princess.”

“Thou has?” An expression I could read made itself clear on Luna's face again: surprise. “Maybe times haven’t changed as much as I thought. Haha.” Even though it wasn’t a truly joyful laugh, but a polite one. I could tell though she certainly was amused. Never had I thought that at one point I think of one of the Princesses as ‘cute’.

Why am I even in this position in the Princesses private moments? Analyze! Why would Spellfield record this, if it is obvious that he is supposed to tell nopony. Oh... Because there is nopony else left to tell the tale, so he recorded it for posterity. Wait... That means he knew well before the bombs fell that nopony can tell it on, and that means that at some point he made preperations for posterity in general. This is why there is still hot water in the facility, electricity, and... And he also had to know that Nightmare Moon would awake, and take another host...

Luna continued her story. “There was a sharp wind at some point, and I crashed into a river. When I woke up I was nursed up by a unicorn mare I’ve never seen before. She told me her name was Theia, and made no secret about her intentions. A pegasus mare can be sold for a good price.” That sounds oddly familiar. “Slavery wasn’t very common anymore, but it was still practiced in some regions. Within a week we would have reached a proper market, but something came up and she freed me. When I look back at it I don’t rightly know why I even accompanied her, she didn’t tie me down or threaten me... she was just... very dominant.”

Spellfield took another sip from his tea. I could have been able to tell whether or not it was good, if I weren’t in furious denial of the story she was telling.

“I couldn’t go back to my family, they would have certainly thought I ran away. They probably wouldn’t take me back, so I went to the next town and tried my luck. As chance had it I ran into Theia again and again, until at some point we decided to travel together. She worked as a scout, and made money in whatever way she wanted to. At first I thought she was just careless, but when we got attacked by bandits once she slaughtered them all within seconds; we even got a bounty for them.” Luna paused shortly. “Although she had a strange personality, she had total control of her life, unlike me, and I envied her for that. At some point I thought I fell in love with her.”

Celestia gulped. Not because of how taboo a same-sex relationship might have been at that time, but because she partially knew what happened next. She just didn’t know what kind of feelings Luna had for that mare. At some point I totally thought Luna was going to say she wanted to be like Theia, mirroring my relationship to Craft.

“She was aware of my affection and started to sleep around. Every town we were in she found someone, just to hurt me, or at least show me it can’t be, even though she continued to tease me. At a few instances she even took money for it. And then I started to do the same thing.” She blushed. No... Princess Luna wouldn’t have... “Sleeping around.” She confirmed the unthinkable scenario. “I showed her that she didn’t hurt me with that, and she stopped. Well, she didn’t stop, but she didn’t do it in every town then. Then after a few months we got ourselves another companion who came along with us. He told me that Theia isn’t real, and only my ‘excuse’ to act unfriendly.”

If the teacup would have been in my own magical grasp, I would have dropped it, but Spellfield took merely another sip.

“The magic she did I have always done, because I wasn’t a pegasi anymore, but an alicorn. And pretty soon after I went to Canterlot, to seek out other ponies I knew are alicorns. The next part you know, Celestia. I got princess status, and took over the responsibility for the night. Theia never left me, she was always there and... did something, give her commentary or advising me. She was also able to take over my body, and make me an observer of the situation. When I turned into Nightmare Moon not much changed for us, she continued to tell me to seize my desires, and voiced the things I wouldn’t have even dared to think of. And then I wasn’t sure anymore where she ended and I started.” She put down her cup, and smiled... These were good memories for her...

“Luna...” I could hear a little bit of shock coming from Celestia.

“I’m sorry Celestia, but as far as I can remember I was always awake and I always knew exactly what I was doing while I was Nightmare Moon. Whatever was ripped out of me by the Elements of Harmony, it wasn’t Nightmare Moon, only Theia.”

<=======vvV Vvv=======>

> Save position in queue.
> Memorhedron is charging. 1%
> Not ready for use.

The memory has ended a while ago but I was still paralyzed for a while until I could collect my thoughts. I didn’t call out her name this time. “Are you Nightmare Moon?”

Craft narrowed her eyes. “There goes my ‘you’re insane’-thing, right? Anyway... would it make you feel any better, if I’d say no?”

“Yeah, I think it would.” I walked over to my bedside table.

“Why would that be?”

“Because if you deny it, that would mean you don’t want me to know. So if I know, although you don’t want me to I would have some kind of advantage.”

“I can see your point. So: No, I’m not Nightmare Moon.” There was no comforting effect. “You are not Luna, and even then I wouldn’t be Nightmare Moon, you would be. You’re Aideen, and I am Craft.”

“And it doesn’t matter that I know now who you are...” I opened up my saddlebags, and started searching. “So my big bad demonic alter ego’s name is Craft?” Disappointment was clear to hear in my voice.

“I didn’t approach Luna with the name Nightmare Moon, I was Theia. For a more fancy name for us we can always brainstorm a little.”

“I’m not brainstorming with you.” I floated out the small pistol she gave me when she... left me alone in that shack. There was plenty of ammunition left, but I only need one bullet. I loaded and put the pistol to my head, then I waited. “You are not going to stop me?”

“Nope.”

I checked if I had switched the gun’s safety off, and put it to my head again. “Why not?”

“Why would you kill yourself?”

“To kill... you too?” That was poorly planned. “It wouldn’t affect you at all, would it?”

“Nope, I would make part of my life easier actually.” “Here is what I would do: kill Turbulence and take over Cirrus while making myself look like you. It’s an easier game. She wouldn’t even have to know you’re dead; that’s the deal actually, for me to properly impersonate you.” I put the gun down and switched safety back on. “Good Girl.”

“Why don’t you just kill me and Turbulence and do what you just said? You said it would be easier for you.”

“Because this whole scenario we have here?” Craft pointed to the wall, approximately directly to the point where I left Cirrus and Turbulence. “I’d love to see how it turns out, but to be honest: I like you.”

“My life wasn’t made for anyone's amusement, especially not for some otherworldly entity I lack the vocabulary to describe.”

“Fucked-up would be a pretty good description. You would have to be to like that story of yours, but Aideen. I would definitely buy the hardcover version of this story.”

“Okay...”

“You are taking this pretty good.”

“I just wanted to kill myself.”

“No, you wanted to kill me, and I don’t blame you for trying. It would have been a great sacrifice, because I know you don’t want to die. After everything you’ve been through suicide is still pathetic in your eyes, and you still hope for a happily ever after.”

She was right, but... “Do I get to have a ‘happily ever after’?”

“I don’t believe in that concept,” I should have guessed Craft wouldn’t give me a real answer. “but I can help you to a ‘happily here and now’.”

“So you’re just a misunderstood villain, and all you want to do is help. I’m not buying it.”

“That wasn’t what I was selling. I said I can help, not that I promise you. But I can promise you that you won’t be happy if you continue to refuse me. I’m sorry, I don’t usually work like this. Fear, although it gets the job mostly done, is not a good motivator, and I don’t want you scared.”

“Well... I am properly scared right now.”

“Then let’s ease you up a little and make some ground rules.”

“Ground rules?”

“No taking over of your body without consent.” Did I hear that right just now? “You need that control over yourself, and in return you will keep an open mind to what I have to say.” That I can live with...

Maybe I can squeeze out some more. “And no more stupid commentary like earlier.”

“Haha.” The same polite laugh as Luna had done. “You do not have any leverage, Aideen. The stupid commentary stays,” It was worth a try. “but I’ll do you something else: no commentary or watching during your private time with Cirrus or Turbulence,” Hmm... “or both. Anyway, you should get your natural healthy sleep.” When she said that I noticed just how tired I am.

“Yeah... Sleep...” I looked at the clock on my PipBuck. It was almost 2 am. “Good night, Craft... I guess, do you sleep?”

“I don’t really need to rest, so no. Good night, Aideen.”

*** *** ***

Footnote: You have reached Level 11!

New Perk: Some Assembly Required (2): You gain +5 points (total: +10) into Projectile and Energy Weapons. You can modify Weapons to deal 10% (total: 20%) more damage!

Special Perk: Nightmare's Power (2): You can tap into Nightmare Moon's power, and gain +5 points (total: +10) in Magic.

Skill Note: Speech has reached 50.

Quest: Memories of the Future
[ ] Find out why the Memorhedron has planted on you.
[ ] Optional: Watch as much Memories in the Memorhedron as possible (7)

Author's Note:

Craft is...

please don't spoiler in the comments.

so... yeah...
I told you you shouldn't like Craft too much.

have som craft invading aideens personal space:


see you guys on sunday
JC signing, and as always Gaia Pre-KEEP CALM AND DO WHAT CRAFT SAID!