• Published 19th May 2013
  • 19,713 Views, 976 Comments

Twilight at the Disco - 6ix



Featured on 5/19/2013 Discord has become Princess Twilight's advisor, and they are driving each other crazy. However hate can morph into love, but they are still driving each other crazy.

  • ...
42
 976
 19,713

Chapter: 15B(405/9)=2700 solve for A

A nervous look washed over Twilight’s face as she entered the royal dining hall. The last time she was here was that morning with Rainbow Dash.

Thoughts of her friends brought pain and happiness to her heart, but she had to push her emotions aside as she knew that this was no dinner date. The sisters meant business.

She approached the table with caution, feeling not too much unlike a foal about to be chastised by her parents.

“Good evening, Princess Celestia, Princess Luna.” Twilight said as she climbed into her seat. “Thank you for inviting me to dinner. We seem to have even less time just to talk.”

Twilight was holding on to the false hope that this was just a social visit.

“I agree,” Celestia said. “Even though you once again live in the castle, we have yet to enjoy each other’s company.” She gave Twilight a warm smile but her expression switched to one of concern. “Unfortunately this is more business than pleasure.”

“We understand that you have only held two courts since you obtained your new position.” Luna started to speak as the soup was served to them.

Twilight looked down at the bowl of creamy potato soup and almost forgot her worries. The trio gracefully began to eat, but after a few hearty spoonfuls Luna finished her thought.

“Yet you have accomplished more in those sessions than the court has in the last five years.” Luna smiled at Twilight and ate more of her soup. “We are sorry to admit it, but we have an agenda here.” Luna looked up from her soup at Twilight, searching for an emotional response. She sat there giving Luna her full attention, like a good little student.

“I’m sure you noticed it.” Luna went on, satisfied that Twilight was taking it well so far. “The influence and power that you are building; I'm sure it has concerned you.”

“Not really, Luna, I expected this to happen initially, but it will die down shortly. I'm a fresh face so a lot of ponies are going to make a political move through me or to please me. I'm simply taking advantage of the situation for the better of Equestria.”

Luna wanted to let her jaw drop. She didn’t expect Twilight to be so politically savvy. Her a eyes darted to Celestia and she gave Luna a subtle ‘I told you so’ smile

“Twilight.” Celestia got her attention from Luna. She had allowed the two to speak as she finished her soup; a servant soon rushed over and took the bowl. “We don’t want it to die down. We want you to keep building on it. We have planned to make you not a princess but the princess, and my sister and I shall take a backseat to your rule.”

“Y-you want me to take over the kingdom?” Twilight shouted out in surprise. A crash was heard behind them as the servant dropped Celestia’s main dish. The kitchen went right to work cleaning the mess and making a new entrée.

“Think of it as graduating,” Celestia teased. “You’ve been my student most of your life, after all.”

“B-but not like this.” Twilight paused trying to find the right words. “It’s not right! You’ve been Princess Celestia for thousands of years!”

“And I still will be.” Celestia said as she giggled at Twilight’s statement. “However it is as you say. I’m thousands of years old. I have tried my best to befit my kingdom, but the fact of the matter is that I was born and raised in a different era than this.”

“Princess,” Twilight seem to be near tears. “I don’t see how that can work. I'm sorry but I really don’t. I'm not ready... I'm far from it. I only became a princess sixteen days ago! That alone makes this a bad idea. I may not recover from the political fallout. I also don’t understand why you would make this decision.”

“Twilight, I have groomed you for this over the last 15 years. Make no mistake, you are ready. This transition will not be official until it has happened naturally, and Luna and I will just fade to the background politically. As for why…” Celestia tapped her chin thinking of a way to explain. “Think of the kingdom as a child, and Luna and I are its parents. Eventually, the parent must get out of the way of the child in order for it to grow and mature. Our child, unfortunately, has been in the basement longer than you been alive.”

“Basement?” Twilight asked, not understanding the metaphor.

A slurping sound came from Luna as she finished that last of her soup. As it was taken away she readied herself to help lift Twilight’s confidence of their decision.

“Twilight, one thing you have shown me is that you trust my sister completely,” Luna said as her soup bowl was whisked away. “A trust we share, so like any other decision she has made, trust her, Twilight. Trust her as much as you always have.

“Also, you must not worry yourself, we will still be here as one of your many advisors. In a way, I and my sister are retiring, but you will always have us at your call if you need us.” A bread bowl of honey dew grass was placed in front of the Night Princess as she spoke.

That seemed to hit all the right points with Twilight; she rubbed her watery eyes and gave Luna an accepting smile.

“We do have one last order to give you before you become sole ruler of Equestria,” Celestia said. Her smile had a hint of playfulness. “It’s about Discord, we think its best that we-“

“Wait, Celestia he’s getting better,” Twilight interrupted her. “There is no need to turn him back to stone.”

Twilight surprised herself. Part of her still saw him as the spirit of chaos, a fiend. However, they had agreed, more or less, to be friends; and loyalty was a part of any friendship.

“No, Twilight, let me finish. We want him to be your personal advisor.”

“Um…how is that any different from what he is now?” Twilight asked, her eyebrow raised in confusion.

“Not much,” Celestia admitted. “Only he must be at your beck and call more than anyone else and he has some power over you as well. You must not make any major decisions without his advice. Depending on the situation, he may even have veto power. He must be present in every diplomatic meeting you attend and when you are not available he can speak for you.”

Celestia giggled a little. “Ok, so there’s a lot that’s different. Basically he will be a major part of your life.”

“Never mind, let’s turn him to stone,” Twilight joked, which got a giggle from all of them.

“So this is really happening?” Twilight asked, more to herself than the others. “I'm in charge?”

“And we are retired!” Celestia exclaimed, throwing a hoof in the air. Her action nearly knocked over the servant who was trying to deliver the main course.

Celestia blushed and smiled at the servant as he set the plate down in front of her. Celestia looked down, expecting the same thing as Luna, but found a cooked fish instead; its glazed, dead eye looking up at her.

“Oh no, princess, M’sorry,” the accent of the castle cook could be heard from the kitchen door as he rushed over in a panic. “Dere are g’iffins in de casdel donide. My mis’ak dat da plats were mixd.” He rushed over to take her plate but Celestia raised a hoof and stopped him.

“I'm retiring, and one is supposed to try new things during retirement.” She used her fork and took a delicate bite of the cooked meat.

Twilight covered her mouth as she tried not to vomit while Luna went almost as pale as her sister.

“Not bad, I think I’ll finish it,” Celestia said before taking another bite.

“Celestia that is disgusting!” Luna cried out.

“Oh, hush you.” Celestia used her fork to flick a chunk of meat at her sister. Luna dodged it like it was red hot coal.

“Sister! What is wrong with you?” Luna said as she watched the meat roll across the floor like it was something to be feared. “Remember your position.”

“I'm on the verge of retiring from my position.” Celestia argued.

“Oh, you’re right, Celestia,” Twilight said, clapping her hooves together. “You can relax and enjoy yourself a little more now can’t you?”

Twilight was thinking that her mentor would have more time on her hooves to spend with her, like they used to. Luna however was becoming worried.

Luna reached across the table and tapped Twilight on her hoof. After getting her attention she motioned for her to come closer.

In almost a whisper to Twilight, Luna explained her concerns to her.

“My sister is older than you may know. She was born and raised during the reign of Discord. The strange, twisted things of that era are normal to her.”

“Bring me soy sauce!” Celestia cried out suddenly, waving her hoof in the air.

The whispering mares glanced at her for a moment and went back to their conversation.

“I’m just warning you that she is going to do some strange things from now on.” Luna sat back in her chair.

Twilight turned and looked back at Celestia; just as she stabbed the fork into the head of the fish. She left it there and giggled at her action.

Twilight summoned a soldier as she turned her head away. “Bring me a bucket!” she cried out. “And a messenger,” she added as a soldier galloped to her with a bucket balanced on his head. Another member of the castle staff wasn’t far behind him.

Both stallions made it to her at the same time.

“Thank you, I'm already feeling better.” Twilight said as she took the bucket and placed it on the table.

“Try this, Twilight,” she heard right behind her head.

She turned around, and just as she opened her mouth to say ‘what’ Celestia shoved a piece of soy covered fish meat into her mouth.

Twilight grabbed the bucket off the table and heaved.


Discord flew through the evening air like a snake in water. The sun was setting fast as he approached one of the many balconies that dotted the castle.

“Lord Discord,” a voice of authority called out from behind him.

Discord looked over his shoulder as one of Luna’s guards caught up with him. It crossed his mind to turn the good little soldier into a butterfly, but he restrained himself.

“Princess Twilight Sparkle has requested your presence before the moon is high.”

Discord circled around and stopped forcing the guard to stop faster than it was safe to; nearly plowing into the spirit.

“What is the moon smoking?” Discord asked after the stallion got control of himself.

“My Lord I do not understand the question,” The guard responded.

“Clearly,” Discord said as his eyes narrowed out of boredom and annoyance. “You soldiers never have a sense of humor.”

“I’m a personal guard of Princess Luna,” The guard pridefuly corrected.

“That makes it worse, at least Celestia has a sense of humor, well the reminisce of one. You should have seen her when she was young, you’d swallow your own tongue if you saw the things I saw her do.”

The guard cleared his throat in objection to Discord’s casual attitude towards the Princess.

“I would tell you to shove it,” Discord said as he crossed his arms. “But you seem to have a stick and something extra up there already.”

The guard decided to ignore him.

“Princess Twilight would like you to meet her in her quarters. She’s informed us that her balcony is opened.”

“Whatever.” Discord crossed his arms. “I’ll show up when I feel like it.”

The guard smirked. “I also need to inform you that if you don’t show up promptly that the flower on your head will start to weigh 10 pounds for every 5 minutes that you’re late.”

“Oh, now you laugh?” Discord threw his claws in the air. “Don’t you know that one of your stupid elements is laughter?”

Discord flew off towards the castle.

The Lunar guard started to fly to his post when a magical pop turned him into a butterfly.


“Oh, my stomach,” Twilight groaned as she reached her door. She was leaning on Spike and was in so much discomfort that she couldn’t open her door with magic like she always did.

The guards at her door rushed to her side and helped get her settled.

“Hang in there, Twilight,” Spike said as the guards tucked her into bed. “I’ll get the castle doctor.” Spike put the bucket that she brought from the dining room next to the bed.

“Wait...” Twilight pleaded weakly, but Spike was already gone.

Twilight already knew what was wrong; food poisoning. Her body was trying to flush out everything in her stomach.

Twilight didn’t need a doctor; she needed rest, comfort, and a bucket.

She honestly wanted Spike to keep her company, not running around trying to find a doctor at 10pm. She knew that his dragon physiology would force him to sleep very soon. Most likely to be found by the castle staff and made comfortable in one of the many guest rooms.

So the only thing she had left was her bucket.

As Twilight lied back and let herself sink into her pillows, smoke began to fill her room.

“I am the terror that flaps in the night,” A voice from within the smoke said.

Twilight’s eyes shot wide open.

“I'm going to kill him,” she said to herself.

“I am the low ratings that canceled your program.”

“No, I'm not going to kill him,” Twilight said to herself as she sat up in bed. “I'm going to turn him back into stone then take a chisel to him.”

“I am the typo that ruins your fan fic.”

“A chisel and a fig leaf.” She went on, waiting for the smoke to clear.

“I am.” Discord emerged from the smoke dressed in a purple cape, mask and oversized hat that reminded Twilight of Mare Do Well. “Dark Wing Discord!”

Discord stretched his body across the room, like a rubber band, and once again was inches from Twilight’s face.

“But you can call me D.W.D.” Discord said to her with a big toothy smile.

He suddenly looked off in some random direction and spoke to some invisible person.

“Please don’t sue, Disney.”

Discord returned to smiling in Twilight’s face.

Twilight just gave him a flat deadpan look as she put the bucket between them. She stared at the spirit for a few moments as he gave the bucket a curious look, expecting it to do something.

Without warning Twilight heaved into the bucket causing Discord to back up with a grimace on his face.

After collecting what little composure Twilight had, she looked up at Discord.

“Please tone it down Discord,” Twilight begged. “I'm not doing too well.”

Twilight felt a warm paw gently press against the side of her face. Surprised, she looked up at Discord, his strange getup gone; she was further taken back at the concern look on his face.

“You’re not fevered, but let’s take a good look at you.”

Discord gently forced her to lie back down.

“I already know its food poisonin-“

“No,” Discord interrupted her with a stern voice. “You don’t know what’s wrong with your body. You have an assumption from limited observation. Now tilt your head back.”

Twilight had never heard this type of authority come from Discord. Flabbergasted, she just stared at him.

After a moment Discord sighed.

“Trust me,” he said.

Twilight did as he asked and tilted her head back. Discord’s paw started poking and prodding her neck. The awkward position was straining her, causing her to struggle a little.

Discord noticed and seemingly slipped his eagle claw behind her neck and supported her.

After a few more seconds Discord withdrew his claws from her neck.

“Your lymph nodes are swollen, but you have no infection.” Discord pulled a flashlight out of nowhere and nearly blinded Twilight with it.

“Blood shot eyes, overactive mucus.” Discord was talking like he was making a list.

“You might wake up with your ey-” Discord suddenly shoved the bucket into her face.

“Hey, watch-” Twilight finished her sentence with a dry heave.

“I didn’t even feel it coming... how did you-?”

“Your eyes dilated,” Discord answered before she could finish her question.

Twilight was starting to feel like she was Discord’s patient. Images of the mad doctor Discord danced in her head.

“Here, this will help neutralize the acids in your stomach.” Discord said as he handed her a conjured glass of soda water.

Twilight knew about this trick but always thought it was an old mare’s tale.

Eagerly, she drank the glass down, glad for anything to free her from this misery.

“Lie back down” he commanded.

Twilight complied, this time she was more trusting of him.

Discord peeled back the layers of her bed covers, exposing the rest of Twilight’s body to him.

A small blush graced her face. Twilight felt a little silly that she would feel embarrassed, but something about him just pulling her blankets away caused her to feel a little exposed.

Discord pressed his paw to her chest.

“What are you doing?” she asked out of curiosity.

“Shh!”

“No really what are you looking for?” she asked again.

Discord groaned in annoyance. He knew that he would have to satisfy her curiosity if he was going to finish.

“Lion paws are extremely sensitive, it’s how they track their pray from long distances. I can feel your heart better than I could hear it. Think of this as a cat scan”

Twilight’s eyes seam to sparkles as she learn something new.

“Why are you smiling?” Discord ask, worried that she may be hallucinating.

“I just never knew that,” Twilight answered in an excited voice. “So it’s as if they have ears on the paws to hear the animal’s movements?”

“Yes, now be quiet,” Discord said as he placed his paw on her chest again.

Ignoring him she went on. “If you’re worried so much, go get a doctor. See if you can’t find Spike while you ate it. He might be passed out in the hall somewhere.”

Discord eyeballed her for a few moments, an annoyed look in his face.

“There no need for two doctors here, and I am infinitely more qualified than any other,” he growled at her. “Now be a good patient and shut up.”

Twilights jaw hung open for a few moments; she started fidgeting with the uncontrollable urge to ask a million questions.

“Please, Twilight, it’s important that I finish. I’ll make you a deal: sit still and I’ll truthfully answer three questions. Deal?”

“Deal.” Twilight took a deep breath and let herself relax.

“Your heartrate is slightly elevated, but I can chalk that up to your excitement.”

Discord ran his paw down her body and began to examine her stomach region.

“Your small intestines are dormant and…” he ran his paw further down her body to the base of her belly.

“Stop!” Twilight yelled as she brought her hind legs up to her chest and grabbed Discords arm with her forelegs. “What do you think you’re doing?” She yelled at him, her faced flushed and red.

“Checking on your large intestines, now let go.”

Twilight reluctantly relaxed and let her limbs fall back into place.

“That’s it; spread your legs for me.”

Discord expertly dodged a couple hoofs aimed at his face and grabbed the third strike.

“Alright, alright, I’m sorry. I just couldn’t help myself.” Discord said as let go of her hoof, giving her a smile.

Twilight’s anger melted away almost immediately. She had never heard Discord apologise to anyone except Fluttershy, and she found it nice that he was still himself. This stiff and serious Discord felt unnatural to her.

Twilight relaxed again but puffed her face out and glared at him the whole time.

Discord gears switched again as he went to work, feeling around her lower belly.

After a few moments Discord sat down on the bed and sighed.

“Your large intestines are inflamed. You ate meat didn’t you?” he asked without looking at her.

“Celestia made me try a bit of fish.” Twilight looked a little green after remembering today’s dinner, which was now in a bucket next to the bed.

Twilight saw a flash of anger in Discord face, it left behind a feral look in his eyes.

“She should know better,” He growled through clenched teeth.

“What’s wrong?” Twilight asked in confusion.

“You don’t have food poisoning; you already threw up the fish.” He said pointing to the bucket on the floor. “You’re having an allergic reaction to the fish. The problem is that you haven’t stopped. Your body’s immune system is going into overdrive. It’s becoming an auto immune reaction. Mostly this will just cause some major discomfort, however if it keeps escalating it could lead to anaphylaxic shock. You’ll need to be placed under observation.”

Twilight just stared at him with a hanging jaw. She could hardly believe what he was saying. It was just…unexpected.

“Can’t you just snap your finger and make me better?” She pleaded.

“Sadly no, I'm powerful but not all powerful. Healing someone is a little outside my reach as far as magic goes,” Discord started, tucking her back into bed.

“Your vomiting should be over. However your other symptoms are going to start manifesting. Headaches, fever, excess mucus from your nose and eyes. Wouldn’t be surprised if you woke up with your eyes crusted shut.”

To Twilight surprise he ran his eagle claw through the top of her mane as he finished. Goosebumps raced down her spine as it both excited and relaxed her.

“You’re not going to get much sleep, but I’ll make you as comfortable as possible.” He conjured up a glass of water and set it next to her bed.

“Your symptoms are going to include diarrhea, I want you to drink lukewarm water, after every trip to the bathroom. Don’t drink it cold, it will set you back if you do.”

Discord magically dimmed the light in the room.

“Try to rest, Princess.”

Discord got up and was making his way to the balcony before he was stopped.

“Wait,” Twilight said softly as she sat up. “You said that you would answer my questions.”

Discord walked back to her and tucked her in again.

“I'm not leaving until I'm sure you’ll be fine. Besides,” Discord smirked. “I didn’t say when I would answer them.”

“I should have known.” She said meekly through a yawn. “Where are you going to sleep?”

“Sleep?” Discord asked rhetorically. “I said observation, didn’t I? Can’t watch you if I'm asleep.”

“Creepy,” Twilight commented as her eyes closed.

Discord smirked at Twilight and continued on to her balcony. The cool night air greeted him with a light breeze as he passed through the open doors. He walked to the edge of the balcony and leaned against the stone railing.

Looking down he could see a guard that was meeting up with a young cleaning mare.

“Ah, young love.” Discord said to himself as he watched the couple whisper sweet nothings at each other.

Smiling warmly at the scene, Discord casually placed the bucket of Twilight’s vomit on the railing and tipped it over.

The couple screamed as the putrid fluid covered them, the mare adding her own vomit to the mix.

“Well, I feel better now,” Discord said to himself as he picked up the bucket and walked back inside.


Two hours later Twilight woke up to the very symptom that Discord warned her about. She grabbed the glass of water and made her way to the bathroom.

After spending more time in her lavatory then she ever thought she would, Twilight meekly climbed back in bed.

With her system cleared she noticed the other symptoms that weren’t there when she went to sleep. Everything that Discord told her was coming true, including the fever. Her whole body felt disgusting and sore. The slightest touch felt like pin needles against her skin. Her nose was so stuffed up and runny that it might as well have been filled with a gallon of pudding. There was a white haze over her eyes from the mucus build up. Her head throbbed in rhythm of her heart. She could tell that her core body temperature was high as her sheets felt like ice packs.

“Maybe there’s medicine I can take,” she said groggily to herself.

As she placed the now empty glass back on her night stand she noticed a bottle with red liquid inside. A note, on some yarn, tied to the top said ‘drink me’.

Trusting that it was Discord’s doing, Twilight drank the whole thing in one gulp. It tasted like any other medicine, only she could tell it was magically brewed as her symptoms seem to float away from her body as soon as so took it.

As haze of the discomfort lifted from her mind she finally noticed Discord at the end of her bed. He had curled up like some pet; his long body shaped him into a swirl.

Twilight smile at the spirit.

“You keep on surprising me,” she said to him, thinking that he wouldn’t hear her. “The more I learn, the more fascinating you become. I just hope I can be just as fun as you.”

Twilight stared at him for a few moments, watching his body rise and fall as he slept peacefully.

“You’ve entertained me so far,” Discord said from the dark.

“Eep!” Twilight squeaked out of surprise.

“Now get some rest, or I'm going to turn you into a log,” He said to her.

Blushing, Twilight quickly pulled the covers over herself completely, trying to hide more than rest.


The cold of the fall season was once again invading Twilight’s room.

Fortunately, only her nose and ears were feeling chilled, as she woke up under far more layers of blankets than she went to bed with.

As she stretched her limbs under the blankets, her hind legs pressed against something at the end of her bed.

Looking down, Twilight remembered that Discord took up residence there last night.

Only now he was on his back, sprawled across the bed, his limbs, tail and head hanging off the edges as he snored lightly; the glistening of drool running down his mouth.

Twilight climbed out from under her blankets, the cold air shocked the rest of her fatigue away.

“Oh, pony, its cold.” She said and a shiver went through her body. “I have got to look at the spells they’re using on the castle.”

Twilight looked over at her fire place and saw that all the wood was ash. Even with her magic, fire needed to fuel to burn.

Looking back at the spirit, Twilight remembered why she called for him in the first place.

She walked over to Discord poked him a few times “Discord, wake up.”

All he did was grumble and scratch the spoke that she was poking.

Before Twilight could try again she heard a commotion just outside her door.

“You cannot just go in to her quarters!” Twilight heard one of her guards say.

Twilight also could hear the female voice, a mare with an arrogant tone. “Under the communication penal code 132.06, members of any royal family may demand an audience with any other royal members without notice and without repercussions.”

“What?” The guard responded, not understanding.

“I’m a member of the royal family and you standing in my way is illegal. Is that simple enough for you?”

The door flew open to a white mare with golden-shod hooves. Her blonde mane and tail had been expertly curled on the ends; her flank sported a rose compass with a crown above it.

“Princess Twilight Sparkle, forgive my intrusion but after recent news I felt our meeting was overdue. I am-“

“Lady Mary Blood daughter to Duke Blood mother to Prince Blue Blood,” Twilight spoke as she climbed off her bed. “We’ve met before.” Twilight did indeed know Prince Blue Blood’s mother, more than she wanted to.

“Good, that will make this easier. I have come to make a proposal.” The mare’s train of thought seemed to freeze up as she stared at Discord asleep on Twilight’s bed.

Twilight followed her gaze and looked behind her. “Ignore him; it will be easier that way. Now what’s your proposal about?”

“The proposal is a proposal, to my son.”

“You want me to marry your son?” Twilight asked making sure she was hearing this right.

“Yes, the matriarch of our family has named you ‘Princess’ unfortunately this has upset many members of the royal family. Marring Prince Blue Blood would make you a true princess. You wouldn’t be a Blood but your children will be.”

“My children?!” Twilight just couldn’t believe her gull.

“Yes this would solidify your position.” Mary Blood spoke as if her proposal was already accepted.

“You mean solidify your position.” Twilight said, her patience running out.

Mary took a step back at Twilight’s accusation. “Why would I have to protect my position?”

“You said it yourself ‘after recent news you felt our meeting was overdue.’ You most likely have discovered something that you consider a threat to your family.”

“I see you have a good head on your shoulders, but that won’t help you.” Mary said as turned her nose up at Twilight.

“Help me? With what?” Twilight ask as she glared at the self entitled mare.

“You were forthcoming to me and I shall do the same. My family will protect its interest; if you won’t join the Bloods we will make sure you never gain enough power to achieve your goals.”

Twilight heard Discord roll over in her bed. Looking back at him a familiar sensation came over her.

As she turned back to Mary she spread her wings and straightened her body.

Mary Blood had grown up among the spoiled, the rich, and the powerful. She learned very early not to be intimidated.

Twilight, however, started radiating power. Waves of it came off her like a fire in the wind. Marry only once felt this come from another mare, Celestia herself.

“Then I have nothing to worry about, Lady Mary Blood.” Twilight spoke with a level of confidence that turned her every word into fact. “You have proven yourself to be a less-than-competent opponent by announcing your plans. You’re obviously panicking, seeing as you ran straight to me with an offer. You just inadvertently revealed you have an informant among our dining staff. The truly sad part is that your family was safe from anything you imagined, but now you have rushed to me as if I was some threat to you; placing your family under scrutiny.”

Mary could only stand there and listen. Every word made her feel as if her body was shrinking, a nervous knot tightening in her stomach. She closed her eyes and swallowed, mentally forcing her confidence to return.

“Well the first move was mine, it was not the best one but it’s not the last,” Marry said to Twilight and began to leave.

Right when the door shut Twilight turned back to Discord.

“Get up Discord.” her horn lit up and slammed him into the ceiling. “We have work to do,” Twilight said after he landed on the bed.

Discord, now awake, rubbed the top of his aching head and popped his neck.

“You know I once had an alarm clock that woke me up with a mallet,” Discord said as he stretched his limbs. “It was more pleasant than you.”

Discord caught a glimpse of the look in Twilight's eyes. He saw a level of determination there that was very much like the one when she had when she turned him back to stone.

Discord jumped off the bed and straightened up with a green military helmet on his head and saluted her.

“Orders, Sir?!”

“Ever see a boulder roll down a hill?” Twilight ask as she paced back and forth. “It doesn't just knock over anything in its path. It picks it up and makes it roll with it, other rocks and trees, even small animals.” She looked up at Discord, their eyes meeting. “We just need to give Equestria one big push into the next era.”

“How are we going to do that, Sir?!” Discord said still standing at attention.

In that moment something clicked in Twilight, like some dormant device turned on for the first time. She lit up her horn and conjured her own headgear to match Discord’s.

“Court today is at 1500 hours so tell me, Discord, how much do you know about the current state of our education system?”


Twilight was quite uncomfortable holding court by herself, but she had to trust in her mentor’s judgment. Besides she had her wild card with her.

She convinced Discord to increase his size as he did in with the ambassadors, only not as menacing; he still looked like the Discord everyone knew.

Twilight wanted to send a message. I am powerful. She didn’t want to scare anyone, but to instill confidence in their new princess. And having a subdued spirit of chaos sitting at her hooves was a head start.

As the court dragged on, Twilight became engrossed in the petitions brought to her. Land ownership, education reform, reestablishing holidays, doing away with holidays, the most interesting concept was a pair of unicorn parents that gave birth to an earth pony. Both of them are well-educated but the specialty schools won’t even evaluate their daughter because she’s not a unicorn.

Twilight could not have asked for a better opening.

“I fully understand your plight. Magic is not limited to unicorns, anyone can use magic, even earth ponies. Magic also should not be a deciding factor in one’s abilities.” Twilight looked over the crowd that filled the grand hall.

“Many have brought the same concerns on how higher education is run. The traditional schools have catered to unicorns for thousands of years. The zebras have an institution in their lands called a university. A school of higher education that is open to the public and whose students are allowed enrollment based on their merit and drive for education instead of who they are and their connections.”

The crowd exploded in murmurs, whispers and shouts; most were supportive, some very unflattering.

The one sound that reached Twilight’s ears was snoring.

Discord’s snoring.

He had wrapped his long body around her throne. His head was just to her arm rest; resting on his claws as he slept; Twilight could rest her elbow on him.

Twilight allowed the chaos in front of her to go on. After all it was a major announcement and she could use a break for a few minutes. She tried to keep an ear out for anything said that would help her in this idea of hers, but most of the voices drowned themselves out.

She sat there trying to relax in her throne as the court seemed to go on without her. Soon the crowd started to quiet down. To her surprise they started to look at her; waiting for her. Twilight didn’t expect this reaction from them this soon.

To demand this kind of attention and respect from her court; then she heard the purring.

Her eyes followed the sound and she caught herself petting the top of Discords head. A peaceful smile was on his face as he purred with each stroke. It felt so natural to her that she had to force her hoof to stop.

This is why they stopped. she thought to herself. They must think that I'm extremely powerful to turn the spirit of chaos into a pet.

Indeed the court pride swelled at the sight. Their new princess was a being to respect; all because Discord was bored.

Twilight rose to her hooves and opened her wings, just as she seen Celestia do so many times before her.

“It will take time to implement these improvements to Equestria. However the currents schools like Celestia’s School for Gifted Unicorns can make immediate changes to accommodate all members of our society. For example, new classes that focuses on academic studies like history or engineering. Tests of intelligence and education will replace the magic test for entry and will be open to anyone, even non-ponies like griffins or zebras.

“These changes will include the teachers and staff as well. I want griffins, zebras, and ponies of all the tribes teaching our youth as much as they can absorb.”

“You want those striped heathens not only going to school with our children but also teaching them?!” A blue coated unicorn mare cried out from the crowd. She was fairly close to the front of attendants and clearly someone of political or financial power.

Twilight was ready to pick apart her twisted views in front of the court, but the mare’s scream took all the attention.

She suddenly had black stripes all over her body while her mane took on a more coarse and exotic look. She was essentially turned into a zebra.

Twilight looked to her right and found Discord in the same sleeping position only now his eyes were open and glaring at the mare turned zebra.

Twilight also noticed that he once again took on a more dragon like appearance. He began to rise up to his standing position, his talon rested on the back of her throne. He didn’t stand to his full height instead he slouched forward like a bear almost on his back legs. His lion paw dangled a foot above the ground. Yet he still towered over the court.

The crowd look like they were about to start screaming but not a peep was heard.

“Did you know that during my rule I would turn ponies into zebras and zebras into ponies? I made them move to their new homelands. It worked out much better than some lame ambassador system you have these days. Well, it was more entertaining at least.” Discord never took his eyes off the offending mare as he spoke.

“That’s enough, Discord, change her back,” Twilight said. Her eyes were closed and she looked like she was trying her best not to be angry.

“Why? She is so much more interesting this way, blue with black stripes; maybe I can force her to speak in rhymes.” Discord smiled, showing off his huge teeth, several gasps could be heard from the crowd.

Twilight didn’t even open her eyes in response; she was determined to keep regal position during this interruption.

Her horn lit up and she pulled Discord back down by his white beard. The stained-glass windows shook as his body hit the ground hard. Discord started to get back up but he saw Twilight’s hoof coming straight at him. Instinctively he closed his eyes and braced himself.

However, he felt a very comforting hoof stroke the top of his head. Discord opened his eyes and realized that Twilight was petting him.

“Thank you for trying to help, Lord Discord.” Twilight spoke in a loving, yet stern voice. Like some kind of cross between Luna’s and Celestia’s speech pattern. “But my people have the right to their opinions. Punishing them for their views is far worse that whatever their views are.” Discord relaxed his body. He wanted to swat her hoof away from his head as it ran through his mane, but it was like his body wasn’t listening. “Now change her back, Lord Discord.”

Reluctantly he snapped his claw and she was herself again.

“If any more disagree with my decision consider this.” Twilight paused looking over the crowd; every eye was on her. “Only 65% our school facilities are even used. The student to teacher ratio is 8 to 1. Our entire young adult population could start school tomorrow and we would still have a surplus in the school system’s budget. Our school system as it is has only been draining our economy. No dividends, no interest.

“There is no excuse other than cultural disdain and traditionalism that is keeping our education from competing with other nations. This will be for the success of Equestria.”

The crowd erupted in applause and cheers.

Over the thunder of the court Discord raised his voice just enough for Twilight to hear. “We just pushed the boulder down the hill, didn’t we?”

“And started an avalanche,” Twilight replied. “Oh and don’t think I have forgotten about your promise; we’re having dinner together and your answering my questions.”

“It’s a date.”

Author's Note:

Editor:


null

This chapter was originally 12000 words, but it was just to much and I cut off the feet of this chapter and fed them to chapter 5. so chapter 5 is already half written yay!