• Published 30th Mar 2013
  • 3,525 Views, 250 Comments

My Little Overlord - pchn00



Overlord Laharl gets dumped in Equestria. Princess Twilight Sparkle has to find a way to get him back home. Shennanigans ensue!

  • ...
7
 250
 3,525

Chapter 5: A Demon's Heart

Chapter 5: A Demon’s Heart

Discord rocked back clapping delightedly. “Oh I didn’t see that one coming! And just LOOK at Rarity! She makes a rather fine demon don’t you think?” He looked to his guests, who he’d petrified not long ago. “So glad you agree! I have to say I like you like this a lot more Celestia. None of the glowering or judging.”

His gloating was interrupted by a sharp knock at Celestia’s door. “Princess Celestia! It’s Twilight! I need to speak with you immediately, it’s urgent!”

Eyes widening in panic the chaos spirit zipped back and forth across the room. He couldn’t very well petrify Twilight, watching her with Laharl was hilarious! He just had to get rid of her!

Twilight tapped a hoof impatiently outside her old mentor’s door. “Princess? Your sister said you were in your chambers. It’s very ur-“ She stepped back as the door cracked open and Celestia squeezed through the crack.

The youngest princess stepped back eyes wide at her normally composed mentor’s erratic behavior. Celestia staggered to a stop, wings flopping open and closed before settling against her sides. Clearing her throat softly she adjusted her crown. “Yes my faithful student?”

Hearing the old moniker her teacher used to call her brought a nostalgic smile to Twilight’s face. “Well it’s my demon problem. I’ve made a very startling discovery!”

Celestia’s eyes kept flicking from Twilight to her door. “Uh huh?”

Uh huh? Since when did Celestia say ‘uh huh’? “W-well-being so close to Laharl is altering our mana flow. Essentially we’re acting more like him the longer we’re around him.”

“Is that all?”

Twilight blink and stepped back. “I…w-well yes! What more is needed? This is serious! Everypony in Ponyville could start acting like…like jerks! You have to let me send him back to Tartarus where he belongs before it’s too late!”

Celestia tapped a hoof gently against her muzzle. “Mmm. Nah. Now run back to Podunkville like a good junior princess. The grown-ups have work to do.” She ruffled Twilight’s mane condescendingly and turned back to her room, slamming the door on the younger alicorns muzzle.

Twilight Sparkle stood staring at the door, mouth agape for several minutes. No less astonished were the pair of guards ponies stationed before their princess’ chambers. Twilight turn to them with a disbelieving look on her face, one that was rapidly shifting from astonishment to rage. Eyes wide the first guard whispered to his fellow. “Get to a kit! Hurry!”

Returning the terrified look his partner raced off, sparing his poor fellow a quick backwards glance. He ran with all speed through the halls to one of several glass boxes that dotted Canterlot Castle here and there. Without hesitation he smashed the glass that read ‘Break glass in case of Twilight Sparkle meltdown!’ He returned with the fire extinguisher just in time to see the youngest princess’ mane and tail flare with magical fire, and wasted no time hosing her down.

Twilight stood stock still, her mane limp against her neck as she took several deep breaths. With a curt nod to the guards ponies she trotted passed briskly. The first dared to clear his throat. “P-princess? Can we be of assistance?”

With a weighty sigh she turned to them, wearing a weary smile. “No. thank you gentlecolts. And thanks for the ah…” She motioned to herself.

The speaker offered a faint smile. “Of course Princess Twilight. Those were your idea after all. Work like a charm too.”

With a brief nod to the brave guards she trotted for the exit briskly. A concerned Luna was standing at the foot of the stairs from Celestia’s tower. “Twilight Sparkle are you well? I saw a guard breaking one of the emergency cases.”

Twilight briefly considered several courses of action. Calmly and rationally explain the problem with Laharl. Ask Luna about her sister’s bizarre behavior. Even ask the lunar princess to accompany her to Ponyville. She opted for a fourth, and until lately unexpected choice. Wings flared she stalked up to Luna. “No I am not ‘well’. Your…your…FAT flanked sister can just…” Twilight took a deep breath. “Stick her horn where the sun doesn’t shine! Now if you’ll excuse me I have to go to Ponyville and save my friends without help from her OR you for that matter! We handled Nightmare Moon alone! We handled Discord and King Sombra without any princesses! We’ll handle demons too!”

Without another word she stormed passed leaving an open mouthed Luna behind. Once Twilight was in the air she blew out a huge breath. “Laharl was right. That felt pretty good!”

Discord chuckled resuming his natural shape as he observed Twilight flying for Ponyville. “Well! Now that that’s taken care of, let’s get back to the show shall we?” With a smirk at his petrified audience he poofed up a comfortable chair, a tub of popcorn, and reclined to enjoy the show.

***

Rarity felt none of the fear she’d experienced before upon seeing the horrid demon. The formerly awe inspiring ridged armor now seemed somehow…desperate. Like the demon within was trying to make up for some unseen inadequacy by trying to make himself look as imposing as possible. She even went so far as to offer a sympathetic smile. “I see the same thing in stallions from time to time. Try to dress flashy to draw attention away from skin conditions or the like. It really is quite sad.”

The knight seemed unsure of himself. How did she know?! Well that didn’t matter. Even if the horse thing was juiced up on the Overlord’s mana, it was still a prissy unicorn. Hefting his axe he charged forward with a grunt. He expected her to charge as well, maybe use her newly elongated and sharpened horn as a weapon. Instead she simply stood still as he closed the distance, regarding him with that same slightly condescending look.

Needless to say he was more than a little surprised when her horn shimmered quickly and a…something erupted from the ground at his feet. Moving too fast for his eyes to follow, shearing through his breastplate and leaving a trail of blood to arc into the air as it went. He staggered back, a hand clasped to his chest, staring dumbly into the air. A rapidly spinning diamond the size of his fist was slowing its ascent, hanging in the air surrounded by the same shimmering aura around the unicorns’ horn.

“Well now that certainly looked like it hurt. I can’t imagine being cut with a diamond is a pleasant experience. Perhaps you’d like to toss that nasty axe away and we can be done with all this?”

“Y-you! Who d’you think you are to talk to me like that! I’m Golvenz! The greatest of Lord Malbreche’s knights! You’re just a goofy horse thing from some podunk nowhere world!” Ignoring the throbbing in his arm he gripped his axe and hauled back, hurling it with all his might sending it twirling end over end at the uppity unicorn.

An uppity unicorn simply raised an eyebrow looking extremely bored. Her horn flashed again and the ground all around her erupted with hundreds of glittering gemstones that all linked together tightly forming a very impenetrable (and in Rarity’s opinion absolutely gorgeous) wall, sending the axe careening harmlessly over the side of the mountain.

The mare sighed dramatically as she shifted the gems ever so slightly from hovering in vertical positions to horizontal. “Well I did try to be diplomatic.” Her eyes hardened almost imperceptibly as she focused on the demon before her, the gems darting forward into an arrow like wedge as one after the other they tore through his armor and out the other side like the heavy plates weren’t even there.

He tried to stand against the seemingly endless flow of glittering projectiles but he was soon lifted off his feet and swept through the air, howling in pain and fury as he vanished over the horizon, the gems still tearing through him with abandon.

Rarity watched it all coolly for a moment before turning to the prone Laharl. “I dare say that’s the last we’ll see of him hm? Let’s get you to the hospital. I’m sure nurse Redheart can fix you right up.”

Laharl merely grunted, though his hand was still tightly clutching his wound. “I’m fine! Chase that idiot and make sure he’s dead! Or did you forget where you just sent him?”

Eyes wide Rarity looked in the direction her wave of gems hurled the brute. Right for Ponyville. “You’re right! You just wait right here! I’ll be back in a flash!”

The overlord watched her go frowning faintly. Stupid ponies and their stupid town. Why the hell did he care? He blinked. …why the hell DID he care?

***

After flying all over town Fluttershy had FINALLY found out from Sweetie Belle that her sister was planning to take Laharl into the mountains to help her harvest some gemstones. It wasn’t the worst news she could have gotten, at least he was far from town where his mana couldn’t hurt anypony. Anypony but Rarity that is, and Rarity had no idea what being around Laharl could do to her. Jaw set in unusual determination Fluttershy spread her wings making for her friend’s usual gem hunting grounds.

Tilting her head at the strange sight coming toward her she hastily flew aside as what looked like another demon came soaring by, howling curses and being deviled by a constant swarm of spinning (and very sharp if the blood was any indicator) gems. Having the worst feeling Fluttershy knew the source she flew harder for the mountains. It wasn’t hard for her to spot the imposing grey unicorn charging toward town; if not for the gemstones on her flank Fluttershy wouldn’t have recognized her.

Screwing up all her courage the pegasus lowered herself closer to the suddenly frightening Rarity. “U-um…Rarity? Are you…alright?”

She was probably about as tall as Princess Luna, Fluttershy realized as she got closer. To her relief Rarity’s eyes held the same warmth they always did when looking on her friends and while her voice was deeper it was no doubt hers. “Fluttershy! Well yes I’m just fine. Laharl’s hurt badly back in the mountains and I need to make sure that vile demon fellow stays down. Would you be a dear and fetch him for me?”

“O-oh yes! Yes right away! Um…be careful?”

Laughing lightly Rarity waved her concern away, resuming her breakneck charge for town. Watching her go with a little frown Fluttershy turned back to the mountains. Laharl was easy enough to spot. He was leaving a noticeable trail of blood as he limped through the pass. She landed beside him eyes filled with concern. “Laharl! Y-you…how are you still walking? There’s a…a…”

“A hole! I know there’s a hole in my chest you don’t have to point it out!”

“W-well um…sorry. I’m sure you know there’s a hole there. Let’s get you to the hospital right away.” She knelt down low, offering her back.

“…you want me to RIDE you?”

“Well I could carry you but it would be a lot easier for you if you just rode on my back to town. Come on now, no need to be shy. I’m stronger than I look.” She offered him a confident smile.

He WAS starting to feel pretty woozy. With a grimace he eased onto her back, mindful of her wings. “I’m on! But you better not tell anyone about this! I’ll never live it down!”

“I promise. Now you hold on tight, I need to get a bit of a start and it might be a bit bumpy but once we’re in the air it’ll be nice and smooth.” She broke into a quick trot heading for the edge of the cliff. Each step send waves of pain rolling through Laharl but he just grit his teeth pushing it aside. True to her word once her hooves left the ground and they were in the air it was a lot smoother.

Fluttershy was gliding more than flying, flapping her wings as little as possible so as to disturb her rider as little as she could. She risked a glance back at her passenger. “What um…did you do to Rarity?”

“I loaned her my some of my mana. With my powers sealed someone had to fight that demon and your lunatic Princess Sparklebutt or crazy pink monster weren’t around!” Sensing the mare’s concern he continued. “She’ll change back to normal when she gives my mana back, relax.”

“Oh thank goodness. Twilight found out that being around you is making everypony act more um…demony.”

Laharl didn’t comment as the town came into view. There was something about this place that’d been bugging him for a while. “D’you ponies have tons of twins or what?”

Fluttershy blinked at the unusual question. “No…not that I know of.”

“Hmph.” He’d cross his arms in thought if he wasn’t partly bisected at the moment. “What other kinds of monsters are here? Besides the dragons and wood wolves.”

The pegasus landed gently outside the hospital. “W-well…all sorts I suppose. Manticore, hydra, trolls, ogres, goblins, giants…I’m sure Twilight has a book you could borrow. B-but let’s get you in a nice comfy bed first.”

The way he was feeling a comfy bed was sounding pretty good. Their attention was drawn to the center of town as a glittering cascade of gemstones rained down from overhead. With a grimace Laharl started for the commotion. “Well c’mon! Don’t just sit there with a stupid look on your face!”

Snapping out of her fear induced near-catatonic state at Laharl’s sharp words Fluttershy swallowed the lump in her throat and walked at the side of the limping demon, offering herself as support. To her surprise he draped an arm over her back allowing her to assist.

***

“Really now darling this is getting a trifle embarrassing. I’m beginning to feel bad for you. Just drop your silly axe and we’ll call it…a draw! Nopony wins; you go home I go home hm?” Rarity’s voice practically oozed condescension, and it was clear to pretty much any spectator that she was deliberately antagonizing the terrifying monster she was fighting.

Of course as far as everypony was concerned Rarity was pretty much just as scary. Only the fact that she was equine shaped kept the crowd from fleeing in an all-out panic. The demon knight, Golvenz charged the mare as she casually examined a hoof. This time she didn’t call on her small fleet of gems to defend herself. She pivoted on her fore legs and lined up a good book, blasting the demon square in the chest sending him careening through town trailing shards of armor as he went.

The crowd was screaming in panic making way as the monster crashed through several of the stalls in the market. A slight twinge of regret found its way into Rarity’s breast seeing all the devastation. Jaw set in determination she galloped after her quarry, intent on being done with this once and for all before somepony else got hurt.

Screeching to a halt she could only stare mouth slightly agape at the demon lying before her. He was…swelling, a terrified look in his eyes. “My lord no! I haven’t failed I…urk…” His words choked off as he grew bigger and bigger. Eyes wide Rarity cantered back hastily. The demon knight was the size of a small house now, looking fat and bloated and beginning to glow with a hellish red light.

Laharl arrived at the scene in time to see the demon going critical. With a grimace he kicked Fluttershy down an open cellar door just before the doomed knight reached critical mass. The explosion leveled the entirety of the market, and more than a few homes and businesses toward the center of town.

Rarity barely had time to summon her gems from above to form a dome around herself, but even the glittering shield couldn’t hold up to the onslaught of released mana. She felt the hot flames of the released mana licking at her coat, and though she tried to resist its pull she was hurtling through the air to fly far from town.

A groggy Fluttershy clambered to her hooves shakily. Her ears perked at the horrible groans and cries of pain coming from above. A few flaps of her wings carried her from the basement revealing the devastation that was the center of town. Badly burned ponies lay moaning and writhing on the ground, most wouldn’t live through the next few moments. She had enough medical expertise with caring for her critters she could identify fatal wounds when she saw them.

Then her eyes fell on her savior. Laharl was face down on the ground, pale and unmoving. Gasping softly she landed at his side, gently nudging him onto his back. She breathed a sigh of relief when he cracked an eye open. “Q-quit jabbing me with those hooves!”

“Oh Laharl! I was so worried! You…you saved me!”

An embarrassed flush found his cheeks as he looked away, taking in the devastation around him. What was once an idyllic little town was now a scene of horrific battle and carnage. He loved a good fight but dragging civilians into it, (for no reason, if they were rich or something it’d be alright to beat the crap out of them) was low.

The pair yelped as Twilight Sparkle arrived by teleport. “What happened?! I saw the explosion halfway from Canterlot!”

“A demon knight found me. Rarity fought him but his Overlord made him self-destruct when he was about to lose.” The young overlord lay flat on his back, eyes closed once more as he struggled to breathe.

An opened mouthed Twilight looked around slowly. “W-we have to help as many ponies as we can! Come on Fluttershy! “

Laharl’s hand shot out gripping Twilight around the foreleg. “Give me my powers.”

“I…Laharl I can’t right now I have to help the town.”

With a grimace he pulled himself into a sitting position, still holding her leg firmly. “Just do it!”

Scowling down at Laharl she briefly entertained the idea of bucking him through the nearest wall. But she knew that was the demonic influence. Her scowl eased into a concerned frown as her horns glow enveloped his manacles loosening the mana blocking effect.

“Get me to the center of the blast.” Twilight was surprised at his unusually somber tone, but she and Fluttershy both loaned him a shoulder limping him to the still smoking crater. He looked around briefly before leaning heavily on Twilight.

“Laharl what are you…” Twilight trailed off as she felt the overlord gathering his mana. It was much diminished for some reason, less than half his usual strength but still packed plenty of punch. She couldn’t stifle a gasp as runic circles began to form around his feet. The six spell matrices soared into the air and spread out to engulf the bulk of Ponyville.

Everypony still conscious could only gape at the beautiful humanoid woman who appeared in the sky. She looked down upon the town, a faint frown upon her gentle features. Spreading her arms wide she bathed the town in a warm green glow. When the mystical light faded she vanished as Laharl’s spell ended.

Twilight blinked her eyes open seeing…confused but healthy ponies shakily climbing to their hooves. Laharl’s garish wound was gone but he still looked pale and shaky. “L-Laharl…what…what WAS that?”

“That? That was nothing! Just the most powerful healing spell there is! I just summoned the prissy goddess of healing herself. Impressed? Of course you are! Hm hm hm!” His eye twitched as he began to laugh, clutching his chest and staggering before Fluttershy steadied him.

The young princess just stared hard at the overlord as he used the timid pegasus as support. With a deep breath she again focused on his manacles. This time when the glow faded from them…they fell to the ground with a pair of metallic clinks.

Lifting his hands almost disbelievingly Laharl looked to Twilight Sparkle. The annoying pony was smiling the same stupid smile Flonne smiled at him when he spared the Seraph. “Wh-what? Don’t expect a thanks or anything! You shoulda freed me as soon as I got here!”

To his further outrage both Fluttershy and Twilight tackled him hugging him fiercely. “G-get off!” They were drawing a crowd now. It wasn’t long before somepony thrust a hoof at the prone demon.

“Did you see that?! He healed everypony! He’s a hero!”

Laharl gave a strangled yelp working to disentangle himself from the mares hugging him tightly. “N-no I didn’t! I was just…healing myself! You just happened to get caught in the effect!”

His words went unheeded as the townsponies began cheering wildly for their new hero. He was soon hoisted onto the backs of the crowd and carried about town in an impromptu parade. To his seemingly endless embarrassment they began to…sing. It was like the whole town had a whole musical number ready and waiting in the event of a demonic overlord using a massive healing spell to bring them back from the brink of death.

Eyes dancing with amusement Twilight Sparkle finally rescued him. Teleporting both he and Fluttershy back to the library. “What the hell was that?!”

Twilight settled him in her own bed with a shrug. “When we get really emotional we sing. You’d better brace yourself; you’re probably going to get a party for this too.”

Secretly Laharl loved nothing more than to have praise and accolades heaped upon himself, but he wasn’t sure how he felt about it coming from the colorful equines of Equestria. “That’s the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard!” He propped himself upright in the bed, but made no move to leave it.

“Are you going to be alright Laharl? You still look very pale.” Fluttershy brought him a glass of water.

One he wasted no time downing swiftly. “That stupid unicorn Rarity still has a ton of my mana. It’s fine I’ll just absorb more. She can keep it.”

Twilight frowned gently. “I don’t know if that’s a good idea Laharl. For her or you. Your mana is making us behave more like you. Our mana might do the same.”

“Hmph! Fine then go find her and bring her back!”

Looking from pegasus to demon Twilight nodded. “Alright. She shouldn’t be hard to track. You have a pretty unique feel to your magic.” She paused looking over her shoulder at the door. “And Laharl…thank you. You didn’t have to do that.”

Another grunt was his response as she left. He could only stare out the window for so long before he was forced to look at Fluttershy, who had been staring at him steadily the entire time. “…what?”

She settled on the bed comfortably. “Are all demons like you?”

With a scoff he looked away. “Of course not! I’m an overlord! One of the greatest demons to have ever lived!”

Fluttershy giggled softly. “I meant do they all act like you? So…nice?”

His antenna twitched almost imperceptibly. “I’m not nice! I’m a demonic overlord you idiot!”

This was normally the part where Flonne or Etna would bludgeon him over the head or start name calling back. Instead Fluttershy kept her cool, leveling a steely gaze on him. He found it almost impossible to look away. “Apologize.”

“Wh-who do you think you’re talking to! You can’t tell me to apologize! I’m an overlord!”

Fluttershy’s stare never faltered, she just kept gazing at him with a calm even look. He opened his mouth to berate her further but the words felt…hollow. They died in his throat. “Hmph! …fine! Sorry! Alright!?”

“I accept your apology Laharl.” She refilled his water, deciding on a new line of questioning. “Do you have friends back home?”

“Feh! Of course not! I have vassals!”

“Oh? Well do you have any vassals you’re close to?”

He grunted softly, again looking out the window. “I guess.”

“Tell me about them.”

“Who? Flonne and Etna? They’re nothing exciting. Etna’s the biggest pain in the butt in the Netherworld! I dunno why I put up with her!”

Fluttershy tilted her head. “Why DO you put up with her?”

He went quiet again, sipping the new glass of water more calmly. “She was my father’s most loyal vassal. She was an orphan he saved from some slavers or something. I GUESS she’s kinda useful now and then…when she’s not throwing prinny’s at me or stabbing me in the back!”

“And the other? Flonne?”

She didn’t miss his hands tighten at the name. “…she’s nothing special. Just an ex-angel turned demon love obsessed lunatic who never quits badgering me or bullying me in my own castle!”

“So there are angels to?”

He looked back at the mare on the bed now. “Of course there’re angels! Jeez what kinda bubble does that Princess keep you all in?”

Fluttershy ignored the faint insult. “Why did she turn into a demon?”

A pained look flashed across his face. “Celestia…the world of angels…had a corrupt archangel who was trying to exterminate all demons. Flonne helped us beat him, but she was punished by the Seraph their leader, for harming her fellow angels. He turned her into a flower.”

Fluttershy gasped softly. “What happened next?”

“I…” He frowned. “…I was angry I guess. I mean, of course I was! She was one of my vassals! He had no business doing that to her! I was gonna kill him too but….” He shrugged. “Flonne wouldn’t have wanted that. For some reason he changed her back, but she was a demon instead of an angel. I’ve been stuck with her ever since.”

“So because you spared the Seraph he gave Flonne back to you?”

“I guess so. I hate that smug jerk and his stupid face.”

Fluttershy laughed softly. “Well thank you for telling me about them Laharl. They sound like good friends. I’ll let you get some rest now.”

He didn’t both correcting her again as she left the room.

***

“Doooooood!”

Etna looked up from her place on Laharl’s throne as the excited Prinny came charging in. “What’s got YOU so excited?”

“Lady Etna! We found him dood! The gatekeeper said she felt Prince Laharl’s mana!”

The demon lord leapt to her feet. “Well what the hell’re you waiting for?! Go get Flonne and round up the prinny’s! We’ve got a Prince to save!”

“Aye, aye dood!” The Prinny in question snapped a sharp salute and waddled off to Flonne’s chambers.

Etna walked briskly to her own chambers gearing up for a fight. “That idiot. He better be alright or I’ll kill him myself!”

***

Flonne, Etna, and a small Prinny squad were soon assembled at the dimensional gate. An embarrassed looking gate keeper keying in the coordinates. “I can’t apologize enough for allowing myself to be subdued and impersonated. Please give the Overlord my most sincere apologies.”

Flonne flashed a warm smile. “I’m sure he won’t be mad once we explain everything. Don’t worry!”

Etna wasn’t so sure but she felt no need to get the gatekeeper worked up while she was in the middle of sending them to a supposedly very far off world. “So is this a Netherworld? Human colony? What’s up?”

The gatekeeper frowned gently. “I wish I could tell you Lady Etna. All I know for sure is it’s heavily saturated in mana, and that Overlord Laharl’s power definitely emanated from there. It’s at the very fringes of space.”

The gate finally stabilized and the troupe wasted no time rushing through. It was a rougher ride than usual but all seven made it out the other side. Etna yelped as they appeared high in the air, but both she and Flonne snapped their wings open hovering in the air.

The prinny’s weren’t so lucky as all five went plummeting toward the ground. Normally Etna wouldn’t care but they were so far from home she wasn’t sure if they’d respawn or not. Both she and Flonne flashed through the air rapidly snagging the plummeting prinny’s and settling them on the ground carefully.

Etna scowled about at the colorful and very fresh smelling forest, but Flonne seemed to be basking in the bright sunshine. “Alright! You five head that way! I feel a bunch of mana coming from somewhere to the north. There’s another huge pocket of it over to the east so Flonne and I’ll head there. If you find the Prince have him send up a magic flare alright?”

As one the demonic servitors saluted. “Aye, aye Lady Etna dood!”

Flonne frowned as they waddled off. “Do you think they’ll be ok alone?”

Etna shrugged. “They’re all elite prinny’s, well over level a thousand. There’s some strong mana here but the five of them should be fine. Though the stuff coming from the east feels strong enough to be the Prince. Let’s get moving.”

No more words were said as demon lord and fallen angel took to the air, flying on a direct course for Canterlot.