• Published 30th Mar 2013
  • 3,527 Views, 250 Comments

My Little Overlord - pchn00



Overlord Laharl gets dumped in Equestria. Princess Twilight Sparkle has to find a way to get him back home. Shennanigans ensue!

  • ...
7
 250
 3,527

Chapter 1: The Trouble With Demoness'

Chapter 1: The Trouble With Demoness'

“Grrr! Where is she?!”

Demons throughout the Netherworld trembled as their mighty Overlord raged through his castle hunting down his errant vassal. Their feuding had become the stuff of legend. Whispers spread all the way from foreign Netherworlds up to Celestia itself of the great prank wars between Overlord Laharl and Demon Lord Etna, his chief vassal.

No one was entirely sure how it all began. Some say Laharl fired the first shot when he got into Etna’s prize snack stores. Others claim the feud began when Etna beat his high score in Super Prinny Fighter 3. Whatever the case the true cause would likely never be discovered. It was a well-known fact both demons were more than a little petty and with the relative peace their Netherworld had enjoyed for the past few years they were getting a bit…antsy.

At first it’d started small. Scorpions in her bed. Acid in his shampoo. Just little pranks any young demon might pull on his friends. It wasn’t until Etna had escalated the conflict by bullying her prinnies into spray painting an enormous mural of the Overlord, lips planted firmly on her leather clad backside that Laharl began to take it seriously. Never one to be outshone by his own vassals, Laharl’s own message in graffiti was scribed right on the moon. A giant caricature of his first vassals face scribed across the moon with the words “I love Hoggmeiser” to accompany it was his return shot.

Etna went into hiding in one of two places. The prinny dorms, which judging by the numerous scorch marks and debris left behind by the poor things being tossed about and exploding had already been searched. Or in Flonne’s wing of the castle. Laharl’s fury was manifesting physically in a blazing aura as he stormed up to the east wing of the castle. HIS castle! But he hesitated before kicking in the doors.

On the other side Flonne was no doubt doing…whatever stupid crap Flonne got up to on her free time. So far the fallen angel had remained a neutral party in the battle between Laharl and Etna and he intended to keep it that way. The sickeningly sweet love obsessed angel-turned-demon might have the demeanor of an angel, but if provoked…

With a shiver the young Overlord recalled the last time he’d gotten Flonne angry at him. He’d ended up sleeping in the zombie pens for a week to avoid being the target of her wrath. No, the two absolutely could not be allowed to join forces. Taking several deep breaths Laharl turned to a mirror smoothing out his hair and doing his best to regain his composure. With a scowl he rapped sharply on the door.

He was tapping his foot seconds later in impatience. About to open his mouth and bellow for Flonne to hurry up he recalled his decision to stay on her good side and snapped his mouth shut with an audible ‘click’. After a veritable EON had passed (more like a minute and a half), the door opened revealing his second most trusted vassal.

He frowned a little as his anger cooled somewhat. Seeing Flonne always brought out…FEELINGS. Complicated feelings. The kind he hated. He always fumbled a bit mentally when trying to think of what to say to her. Your hair looks nice? Your fangs are really shiny today? I like the bow on your tail? He always defaulted to what worked best. “It took you long enough!” Nailed it.

The gentle demoness pouted a little. “I was making a snack Laharl. Did you need something?”

I’d love to join you! Maybe we could get dinner? My treat! “Where’s Etna?!” Truly the smoothest of smooth talkers with the ladies.

Flonne’s large ruby colored eyes narrowed just a little, and the Overlord felt the temperature shift just a few degrees in the negative. “I don’t know. She’s YOUR vassal Laharl, not mine.”

Laharl felt his anger building again. The two WERE in cahoots! The little traitor! “I know she’s in there Flonne!” He shoved the door hard sending her sprawling on her backside. She gave a little yelp as she crunched her tail.

He winced looking down at the sudden flash of discomfort on Flonne’s face. Help her up! Apologize! “Etna! I know you’re in here!” Storming passed the grumbling Flonne he cast about her quarters. The east wing had been drastically transformed over the last few years. Flonne may be a demon now but she was an angel at heart and her fluffy, frilly, pink filled wing of the castle reflected it. Even the prinny’s busy cleaning wore poofy pink heart covered aprons.

Flonne smoothed her tail with a sulking glare at her Overlord’s back. Why did he have to be so stupid all the time? With a huff she stalked back to her kitchen and resumed her meal preparations. The dummy. It wasn’t entirely his fault she knew. Demons just…felt their emotions a bit more than angels did. It had been a pretty freeing few years down here really. Up in Celestia you had to be calm, poised, and composed at all times. Down here though…she looked to the young Overlord again with another sigh. Down here she could be honest with herself…so why could she never be honest with HIM? It was all so hard sometimes.

She knew he felt the same way about her, but both were just a little too shy to confess to the other first. She could see it in his eyes sometimes, he’d be just on the edge of saying what she knew he wanted to say, then something inevitably happened to interrupt them. Or someone more often than not…

As if on cue a cry of ‘why me dooooood?!’ echoed down the hall accompanied by the explosion of a thrown prinny. Laharl came soaring down the hall bouncing along the floor and rolling back out of her wing of the castle. Eyes wide at the inevitable coming storm Flonne raced around the counter and hastily scooped up all the valuables she could, just in time as a raging Laharl blazed back down the hall, sword bared and leaving streaks of flame along the floor in his wake. With a gentle sigh she lamented the loss of yet another nice carpet.

She winced as the sound of steel meeting steel rang throughout her normally peaceful chambers. That was the last straw. She’d put up with their nonsense long enough. Squaring her shoulders she set down her precious collection of magical girl figurines, took up her staff and stormed down the hall toward the sounds of battle. Her anger was very slow to rise, but once it did the demons of Laharl’s Netherworld had learned to be far more afraid of her than the more violent prone Laharl and Etna.

Angel she may have been born, but she was a demon now. And like all demons when Flonne was roused to anger it generally had explosive results. It didn’t help matters that she had been in line to become the new Seraph of Celestia. Which meant she had enough magical might to control every angel in existence. She’d sacrificed that happily for Laharl’s sake, but he made it difficult to…like him a lot…at times.

She found her two closest friends predictably enough battering away at each other in Flonne’s very own bedroom of all places. Laharl was hacking away with abandon while Etna nimbly leapt from place to place, occasionally deflecting a sword swipe with her wickedly barbed spear. The young demoness’ face was locked in an almost permanent smirk it seemed, as she hopped about either not noticing or caring about the destruction being wrought in Flonne’s personal haven. She knew Laharl would mind, if he were in a thinking state.

Flonne suspected it would come to this the second she’d seen her lord of course. His normally blue hair had been dyed bright pink in his sleep. To make matters worse the antennae like protrusions he always wore had been curled and either gel’d or spray’d into twin heart shapes. It was definitely the worst Etna had done thus far and she could understand Laharl’s anger…to a degree. Seeing her beloved limited edition collection of Defender of the Earth action figures shattered on the ground however sent all thoughts of sympathy flying.

Laharl and Etna were locked together, almost nose to nose. Etna smirking and Laharl scowling. Both demons paused in their mortal combat as chill shivered down each of their spines at the same time. Swallowing heavily in unison they turned their heads to the sudden source of dark energies roiling through the room. Flonne’s eyes were twin fires blazing hotly as she took in the destruction of her room and collectibles. The battling pair backed away from one another immediately, their weapons vanishing to the extra dimensional space each stored them in.

“F-Flonne! We’re uh…we’re done! We made up! Right? Right prince?!” Etna threw an arm around Laharl’s shoulders.

“Y-yeah! We’re…friends again…” He seemed near to vomiting as he said the words though.

“I. Have. Had. ENOUGH!” Her anger reached the point of no return as she stormed up to the two. Magic flared as she bashed first Laharl, than Etna over the head with her staff. Normally not a physical powerhouse like her friends, Flonne punctuated the wallops with a healthy dose of magic…enough to render both demons semi-senseless. Sending her staff to the same weapon-space utilized by all high ranking demons she gripped Laharl and Etna by the ears, and began storming back through the halls of the castle.

While either one had the physical strength to break away from the weaker demoness’ hold neither dared do so for fear of making her angrier. The last time she’d been THIS upset was when Laharl declared Valentine’s Day illegal and outlawed everything pink and heart shaped in the Netherworld, (He did this to explicitly avoid confessing his feelings on the day of romance like he was expected to). When he refused to alter his stance on the matter she’d wound up sending the old castle sliding from its cliff-side perch into the lava flowing below.

Both made a token protest as she drug them down the sweeping staircase to the entrance of the castle. The lesser vassals scrambled away from the sight of the angry fallen angel. Laharl made a mental note of every one of the traitorous cowards for future punishment. Maybe transmigration into a slime or something would inspire a bit more loyalty. Mercifully Flonne released their ears and both immediately went about massaging the offended appendages.

Before either could open their mouth to complain, demand, or apologize Flonne summoned the strongest wind spell she knew, blowing both into the castle doors, smashing them off the hinges and sending the now yowling pair flying into the Netherworld. “And don’t come back until I say so!”

***

Princess Twilight Sparkle began her day as she did every day. With a checklist. The youngest princess of Equestria was up early of course; she had to be in case anypony needed her. So far they…had not. But it could happen any second now! It didn’t mean she was a bad princess of course, just that there were no world breaking problems in Equestria. And that was a good thing!

She’d naturally been invited to live in Canterlot Castle, but had politely declined. Ponyville was her home and if she could be a princess in the capitol city she could certainly be one in the small farming town she’d grown to love over the years. Sure the other three princesses lived in castles…and she lived in a tree. But she loved her tree library! She loved the books and the field trips Cheerilee would bring the class on to check out books en masse. Living in a tree didn’t make a pony a bad princess.

With a soft sigh she looked over at Spike’s empty bed. Her number one assistant had again been struck with the desire to learn more about dragons, and against her wishes he’d set out for the dragon lands. She called him a baby dragon but in reality Spike was very nearly an adult by pony standards. His sixteenth birthday had been last month, and he’d taken the opportunity to announce his impending trip. She really hadn’t realized how much she depended on the little guy for just about everything. Not that that was a bad quality in a princess! Celestia and Luna had plenty of ponies working under them.

Nodding to herself the young alicorn trotted down the stairs of her home, flexing her still new feeling wings. It’d been two months but they still felt awkward and unusual, more than a few times she’d bumped them against a table or shelf in her home. Reaching the ground floor she unrolled her checklist frowning at the first item to do.

Check for mail from Spike.

She’d insisted on Princess Celestia teaching her the spell used by her teacher to send scrolls back and forth via dragon fire once Spike had made his decision. The dragon promised to send her a letter as soon as he’d found a good time to do so. So far she’d received exactly zero. Still! Today might be the day! Trying to be hopeful she trotted outside to the mailbox.

Empty.

Nodding as if expecting that she checked the first item off. Second? Breakfast. The seemingly simple task had also become a bit of a chore as of late. The café was her preferred breakfast destination but going out amongst the townsponies had become…difficult since her coronation. She breezed by her royal regalia without casting it a second glance, all that would do is make things worse. At first she’d worn it all day every day, but gradually she began to notice the way everypony was treating her.

Aside from her five closest friends she was being treated as something of an outsider. Nopony was rude or unkind, just the opposite. Everypony would bend over backwards to please her. They refused to accept payment for anything, brought her heaping portions for her meals…far more than she could eat in two or three sittings. That wasn’t the worst of it. The worst was the distance. Everypony kept a respectful distance from the newest princess, feeling it would be rude to just wander up and talk to her like she was a normal pony.

Still, she was confident if she just kept at it her friends and neighbors would come around in time. She was still Twilight Sparkle, head (only) librarian in Ponyville. The only change was she had the added honorific of the Twilight Princess. She was still a little unsure of just what that meant. She was in charge of…the sky between day and night? So for like a half hour Twilight Sparkle reigned supreme in Equestria.

Making her way through the familiar streets she smiled with polite nods to anypony who dared meet her gaze. Hasty bows and formally averted looks were most responses. A few of the ponies she’d become especially friendly with over the years returned her smile but they still bowed nonetheless. She was relieved to find Rarity already at the café enjoying a scone over a cup of tea. The fashion conscious mare lit up with a smile at the sight of her friend.

“Twilight! Over here darling I was just sitting down to breakfast!”

Her mood already improving by leaps and bounds Twilight made her way to Rarity’s table. She almost fell flat on her rump when the normal table cushion was tugged away by a speedy waiter, to be replaced by a far more plush and ornate one. Ear flicking gently in irritation Twilight maintained her polite smile, nodding her thanks and taking a seat.

Rarity was barely concealing a mirthful smile. “Oh do relax dear, they’ll get used to you. You know how everypony can be; it takes time to adjust to something new.”

With a little huff Twilight blew her bangs out of her eyes. Maybe it was time for a mane cut. “Easy for you to say, you’re not the one getting treated like…like…”

“Royalty?”

“Exactly! It’s horrible!” With another huff she let her head thump onto the table.

“Oh I can imagine. Having every whim catered to with barely a raised hoof. It must be absolutely dreadful.”

The scholarly alicorn rolled her eyes. “You’ve seen how everypony practically runs away from me when I try to talk to them. Remember the town meeting last week?”

Rarity did indeed remember. Twilight was running a bit late and the Mayor was apologizing so much for starting without her she was practically groveling. Everypony watched in horror, as if they expected the fledgling princess to send her to the moon at any second.

“Well I suppose somepony’s are being a bit extreme…”

As if on cue a small army of waiters brought out every breakfast dish offered by the café, stacking them on the table and nearly blocking both mares’ view of one another.

Grinding her teeth together audibly Twilight forced a smile. “Thank you sirs. This is MORE than enough. Just like EVERY morning.”

Bowing low enough their snouts were practically dragging on the ground they departed. Rarity delicately picked up a small pastry taking a bite. “I suppose things are a trifle overboard.”

“And that’s not even the worst of it. I have nothing to do Rarity! Princess Celestia, Luna, AND Cadence all invited me to sit in on court with them but nopony was there to see ME, just them! Celestia says I have to do ‘independent study’ from now on, whatever THAT is! There hasn’t been any emergencies or crisis’ in months!”

Rarity sipped her tea quietly, sorting out just how best to phrase what she said next. “Twlight…you cannot possibly mean you want something like Nightmare Moon or Discord to attack us again? Equestria was nearly shrouded in eternal night, and actually was turned into the chaos capitol of the world. It might surprise you to learn this, but our little town had very little excitement before Princess Luna’s return.”

Letting out a huge gust of air the distraught alicorn took a huge bite of pastry. “I know…I know Rarity I just…I feel so useless. Princess of Twilight? I know she just made that up to make me feel like I was in charge of something. I just wish somepony would give me a chance! A chance to show I can be just as good a princess as the others!”

“Well I don’t know about all that, but if you’re truly desperate for something to do…”

“I am! Anything!”

Rarity was understandably hesitant. She had a large presentation coming up and Fluttershy was adamantly refusing to model her latest pegasus themed fashions. She hadn’t even bothered asking Rainbow Dash, the speedster would never agree. Though Twilight looked to be in danger of approaching 'want it need it' levels of unbalanced behavior...she was still one of her dearest friends and needed help. “I’m in need of a winged pony for an upcoming show. My new spring line is nearly ready to go, but I’ve yet to find a model. I know it’s not exactly the sort of emergency you were hoping for but…well it would mean the world to me.”

Twilight’s ears drooped only slightly at the seemingly frivolous request, but Rarity’s earnest tone spoke lengths as to how important it was. Perking up slightly she smiled. “Of course I’ll help Rarity. Anything you need, I’m your mare!”

“Right then. Be at the boutique around lunch time, I’ll have everything set up for you then. And Twilight…try not to let all this get to you. Things will get better, you’ll see.”

Watching her friend go Twilight simply sighed and took another bite of breakfast. “…I hope they get better soon.”

***

Say something. She was dad’s oldest and most loyal servant. That should mean something right? She’s a pain in the butt but she’s always been there for Laharl when he really needed her. They’d had their squabbles over the years but always made up. Of course it was usually Flonne who forced them to do so. Well he wasn’t some little kid who needed the angelic demon to do his talking for him. He could do this. He could…apologize.

“This is your fault!” Perfect.

“MY fault?! YOU’RE the one who charged me with a sword!”

“YOU threw a prinny at my face!”

“You outlawed all pudding and pudding based products!”

“Well you…you’re a flat chested good-for-nothing waste of mana!” Oops. That might have been going a bit too far.

Etna’s eyes widened in shock for a moment, then narrowed dangerously. “Oh AM I?”

Alright…play this cool. It wasn’t too late to salvage this. He shoved her. “Yeah!” Dammit.

“Oh yeah?!”

“YEAH!”

He tensed waiting for her strike to come. Instead she…just stood there looking at him quietly. “…do you really feel that way?”

He urk’d. He was ready for violence, for more name calling, even a little stabbing. He wasn’t ready for her eyes to tear up. “W-well…I mean…I…that is…wh-what do you care what I think anyway?!”

She bristled now, her anger rising to the point that her pigtails were twitching. “W-well fine then! If you think I’m so useless maybe I’ll just leave!”

“Good!”

“Great!”

“So long!”

She stared him down, fists clenched at her sides tight enough to cause her arms to tremble. He stood staring back, not backing down an inch. Etna broke first, spinning on her heel and taking wing.

Laharl watched her go for a few moments. “Who needs her anyway…” He considered going back to the castle and begging Flonne’s forgiveness. He considered chasing after Etna. In the end he went with his usual fall back. Storming to the dimensional gate. “I need to kill something!”

The gate master bowed as he approached. She was an old demoness. She’d been his father’s and grandfather’s gate master after all. She’d performed her duties for three overlords without complaint. “Anything in particular you’d like to murder this evening sire?”

“I don’t care as long as there are a lot of them!”

Bowing she turned to the gate intoning the ancient words of passage that would activate the stone arch and send her enraged Overlord through time and space to a destination he could vent his rage on. What Laharl did NOT know was this was in fact not the real gate master. She was tied up and stuffed in a potato sack in the bushes nearby.

Feeling his fury growing by the second Laharl wasted no time in leaping through the now brightly glowing gate. Immediately he realized something was wrong. Bright tendrils of magic lashed out at the demonic Overlord of the Netherworld, tightly binding his wrists. He yowled more in anger than actual pain at the burning sensation as heavy and very solid manacles took shape around his wrists.

The normal falling sensation associated with gate travel seemed wrong as well. He was moving much too fast, spinning end over end as he careened wildly along the dimensional pathways. After what seemed like an eternity he was ejected from the swirling corridor of light…only to find himself so high above the ground all he could see were clouds.

Scowling and vowing that the gate master was going to receive the business end of his sword rammed as far up her backside as it could go he called on his innate magic to shift his ever present scarf to a functioning set of wings. He felt the rush of mana rise up from his core…then race into the manacles. Mouth open and eyes wide he tried again…and again with the same results. Every attempt at accessing his power produced the same results. The manacles absorbed it every time.
The apparent sealing of his power was bad enough. Then he realized he was still falling. And that the ground was in fact in view now. Shoulders sagging in resignation he heaved a sigh. “I swear I’m going to kill her when I get home.”

***

Fluttershy was skirting the edge of the Everfree forest, collecting a few medicinal herbs for her little animal friends back home. A nasty cold had started going around a few of the rodent families and she wanted to nip it in the bud. It was a pleasant afternoon at least. Sun was shining, the birds were singing and a lovely warm breeze ruffled her feathers just right. Sighing at the absolute perfection of it all she delicately gathered the plants she sought into the saddle bag strapped to her side.

The picturesque afternoon was shattered by a sudden scream. The timid pegasus let out a yelp of her own and immediately shot straight into the air, her normal response to being startled. The screaming sounded like it was coming from…up? And it sounded like somepony was in a lot of trouble. Pushing down her usual flight response she screwed up her courage and worked her wings slowly rising above the tree tops.

With a gasp she saw somepony falling from the sky! She couldn’t make out the details very well but they definitely didn’t have wings. She tried in vain to reach them but they were falling too fast, and she was no speedster pony like Rainbow Dash. She nearly reached him…she was close enough to make out his features and for one moment time seemed to stand still as his wide red eyes met hers…then he slipped from view beneath the tree tops with a resounding THOOM.

“Oh my goodness! Oh my goodness!” Folding her wings she dove down to see if there was anything she could to help. She’d seen some pony’s take falls like that before and survive, but never without any serious injuries. And she didn’t know WHAT she’d just seen but it definitely wasn’t a pony. Diving as fast as she could she landed on the edge of the crater peering down cautiously.

“H-hello…falling…pink haired…thing? Are you…are you alive?”

A soft groan came from within the hole. The dust was slowly clearing and Fluttershy got a clearer look at the fall victim. From the width of his shoulders and back she guessed it was a he. He had two arms and legs, a little like one of the monkey’s from the royal gardens. Only he didn’t seem to have any fur aside from the top of his head…which was pink with two long strands curled into heart shapes. This went a long way towards easing her fear of the unknown creature; surely it couldn’t be all bad if it had such a nice mane? He was wearing red pants made of some shiny material she coldn’t identify, a long red scarf around his neck. with rather plain looking shoes on his feet.

She slid down the crater to the fallen things side. “C-can you move? Are you…ok?”

Laharl groaned again and ripped first one, than the other arm free of the small Laharl-shaped dent he had settled in. Glancing up he saw the…flying horse thing from a moment ago. “I’m fine!”

She reared back wings flared in alarm at the sudden shout. “O-oh well um…good? I…I saw you fall and was worried…”

With a grunt of annoyance he pried himself free and stood up, brushing the dirt and dust off. “…who the hell’re you? WHAT the hell’re you?”

Fluttershy was backing away now, eyes wide with fright. “I-I-I….”

Laharl narrowed his eyes slightly. This thing was obviously terrified of him. Which is should be! But…that wasn’t really going to help him figure things out. He could try beating answers out of the weird little yellow winged horse but…he felt a little twinge in his chest. The same one he felt whenever he fought with Flonne. “Er…uh…I mean…hi.”

Fluttershy was frowning faintly. He HAD just plummeted from the sky and created a huge crater that would probably make anypony a little angry. “H-hi…”

To say Laharl was not used to diplomatic talks involving anything other than threats of violence, than usually following through with said threats would be an understatement. But he’d seen Flonne do it and dammit he could to! “I am Overlord Laharl! I demand…would…LIKE…to know where I am!”

The mares ears folded back as the thing…the Overlord Laharl shouted again. “O-oh dear…m-maybe I should go get my friends?”

Crossing his arms over his chest he simply nodded. “Fine. Get your friends. I’ll wait here.”

“H-here? But this is the Everfree Forest! There are all sorts of dangerous beasts and monsters!”

Laharl felt as strong as ever, physically he wasn’t impaired but without his magic he couldn’t summon his sword or any of his abilities. He wasn’t particularly worried; after all if this world was inhabited by such wimpy creatures like this flying horse their idea of a monster was probably an angry house cat. “I’ll be fine talking horse. Go fetch your friends if you must.” So saying he promptly sat back in his crater.

Looking from the odd creature then back toward town Fluttershy sighed. This really seemed like the sort of thing Twilight should handle. “Ok…you just wait here. And be safe! Try not to make a lot of noise…”

The displaced Overlord just watched her fly above the trees with a grunt. “Hmph. Monsters.” In the brush just outside the craters edge, a small pack of timberwolves had gathered, drawn by the tremendous noise Laharl had made on his impact. Nearly a dozen of the wooden monstrosities were soon peering down at the demon.

Hearing the first growl he looked up and his scowl deepened. “I’m definitely killing her.”