• Published 1st May 2013
  • 1,092 Views, 39 Comments

Turbulence - Rainbow Hyphen



Rookie Wonderbolt, Rainbow Dash, awakens one day to find herself in an old abandoned castle with no memory of how she got there. The only thing she remembers is the storm.

  • ...
5
 39
 1,092

Chapter 11: Sundown

It was still very dark outside. It looked as if a storm was approaching. Soarin and Dash had found themselves in another hallway. This one was smaller and only had three doors. One on the left, right, and one directly in front of them. Soarin slowly trotted forward to the door in front of them. He placed his hoof on the handle and slowly began to turn.

"It's unlocked?" Dash asked surprised. Soarin nodded and slowly began to open the door. As he did, a noise was heard from the room to their right. Like bed springs squeaking as somepony got out of bed. Soarin rushed into the room in front of them and dash followed. They shut the door just as the door to their right began to open.

"What are we gonna do?!" Dash whispered in a panic. Soarin looked around quickly. They were in somepony's bedroom but there was nopony here. There was a beautiful bed with light pink silk sheets and a soft looking cover. There was also a closet that was shut. Soarin couldn't finish his examination of the room before the door handle began to turn. Dash, still standing close to the door, locked the deadbolt. The pony on the other side of the door tried to open it but failed.

A faint laugh could be heard from the other side of the door. On the other side, Sunset Skys smiled. He trotted back to his room and returned seconds later with a key ring in his mouth. He used a single key on the deadbolt and placed his hoof on the door handle. He slowly turned and opened the door. He entered the room but it was empty. Still... the smile didn't leave his face.

"Miss Dash... it seems you have escaped again," He said to himself as he slowly trotted over to the closet. "I hadn't expected Lavender to disobey me again but I see she has... I'll be sure to punish her... as soon as I've recaptured-" He placed his hoof on the closet door handle.

"You!!" He yelled swinging the closet door open.

... it was empty.

"Looking for someone?" Sunset turned around and then was hit directly in the face with the hardest buck Soarin could muster. There was a loud cracking sound. Then everything slowed down for sunset. His vision began to fade as he was knocked right off his hooves and sent into the closet. He slammed against the closets wall and fall to the floor. Blood from his now broken muzzle trailed down his face and dripped on his chest. One of his eyes were black. His mouth was open and two of his teeth fell out.

Dash got out from under the bed and stood next to Soarin. They looked at Sunset. Soarin stepped closer to Sunsets body and placed a hoof on the stallions neck.

...There was no pulse.

There was creaking in the floor boards behind them. Dash and Soarin quickly whipped around.

Lavender was standing completely terrified at the sight. Tears were forming in her eyes and began to run down the little fillies face.

"Su-... Sunset?" She said as she slowly began to walk to her brothers corpse. Soarin moved out of the way as the little filly came closer. He and Dash stood back and could do nothing but watch.

Lavender collapsed next to the body of her brother.

"Sunset?! You have to wake up! Come on! Don't go..." The little filly demanded. Sunset didn't move. Lavender placed both her hooves on her brothers shoulders and shook him. "Sunset!! Don't leave me! Please! I'll be a better sister! I promise! I don't want you to go! Sunset!!" Lavender tightly embraced the body of her older brother. "I'm sorry... I..."

"Lavender?" Dash said. Lavender quickly turned around and glared at the two ponies in front of her.

"Murderers!! I hate you!" Lavender screamed.

"L-" Soarin began but was cut off.

"No! Shut up!!" Lavender yelled. "Sunset was all I had! My sister is never here and our parents are dead! But you took him, I hate you!! I hate both of you!!" The filly turned to her brother and tightly hugged his lifeless body never wanting to leave him.

Lavender knew as little as they did about sunset's plans... To her, he wasn't a crazy pony who lived in a spooking castle... he was her brother living in their home. And while he may have punished her for helping Rainbow Dash, it was clear she still loved him. She had to, they're family... or were.

Dash looked at Soarin who was staring at the floor, his eyes were shut. Rain began to splash against the windows followed by loud roaring thunder. A single tear escaped Soarin's tough exterior. Dash put a hoof on his shoulder but he shrugged it off. He wiped the tear from his face and looked away from Dash. His vision caught the dresser of who's ever room this was. On it was a glass display case. He walked over and opened it. It was a necklace with a pendant on it.... a circular diamond.

"Take it and go..." Lavender ordered. They looked back to her. She was still tightly holder the body of her dead brother but was turned to Soarin.

"Just leave... I don't want you here anymore."

Soarin picked up the pendant and gave it to Dash. He then slowly approached Lavender. Once he was next to her he knelt down and reached a hoof out to her. She quickly slapped it away.

"I'm sorry Lavender..."

Lavender didn't reply. She just glared at him. Soarin slowly got back on all fours and slowly trotted out of the room. Lavender turned back to her brother and refused to let go. Dash didn't know what to do.

She gave the little filly a final glance and then followed Soarin out of the room.