• Published 20th Apr 2013
  • 350 Views, 9 Comments

Hotel Equestria - AdrianJNovelle



Anything can happen in an Equestrian hotel built by ponies for ponies - and does!

  • ...
 9
 350

Aboard the Friendship Express

He stared listlessly at the High Castle and gave a weary sigh.

"Why do I not feel much happiness?" he inquired to himself as he averted his eyes to the ground below his hooves. "Can it be because I feel outcasted from society? Is it because I have spent my life in this city, and have feared ever leaving its walls? Or perhaps because I have unfulfilled dreams that I dare dream to dream?" He paused. "Is that why I have decided to move to Ponyville? Because my subconscious endeavor has caused me to act out of my character, and finally start down the path of my dreams?"

He took a glance around town, to see if anypony was staring at him.

"I do not belong here in the big city, where everypony who's anypony has a capital upbringing and a masterful acquity for business and fashion. I feel I belong in Ponyville: the small, populous town of Ponyville, where dreams are meant to come true. Lives are designed to be united. Where love is boundless. Sure, there is still much love and happiness here in Canterlot, but, as a lone stallion, I find the ability to attract love and happiness from this place quite difficult. It is why I am leaving this fair city, and pursuing my dreams."

He felt comfortable talking to himself, and was just about the only pony in Equestria who was. Whenever he had a monologue with himself, he feared other ponies looking at him - staring at him - with their large, beady eyes, and judging him. It was almost as if he feared - more than anything - being judged by everypony else. He was a familiar face here in Canterlot, having spent his entire life in the presence of the High Castle. Yet, it seemed, that there was always somepony out there who was quick to judge him.

He made a bow to the High Castle. "If I do not make my dreams come true...I promise to return." He then started on his way through town, and strolled through the crowds to the train station, with nothing but a sash over his shoulder to accompany him. He stood at the edge of the tracks and waited patiently for the Friendship Express to come to a complete stop before boarding. He sat alone in a seat by a window, so he could view Equestria as he rode down her spine.

"Morning, sir," said another unicorn as he seated himself next to him. "Do you mind if I sit here?"

A simple shaking of the head.

"Hmm. You don't talk much, do you?"

Another shaking of the head.

"Huh. Well, my name's Michael," he outstretched his hoof. "What's your name?"

The other unicorn eyed the outstretched hoof. He hoofbumped him. "Night Shade," he replied softly.

"You headed for Ponyville?"

Night Shade perked up at the clairvoyance. "Yes; how did you know?"

"Oh, I can just tell," said Michael. "Ponies who ride this train are very predictable. And even if they weren't, this train's next stop is Ponyville. And the Crystal Empire is in the opposite direction, so you'd be on the wrong train, anyway."

"You seem to know your Equestrian geography well."

"Oh, I have to. You see, I'm a businessmare- well, colt. I go from town to town selling and investing and bartering. Though I keep a home in Canterlot."

Night Shade made no reply.

"Why are you headed to Ponyville?" Michael inquired.

He sighed. "I'm off to pursue my dreams."

"Your dreams?"

Night Shade nodded. "My mind has overwhelmed me, and compells me to set out to Ponyville in order to seek the happiness I somehow lack in Canterlot."

"Lacking happiness, euh? That does sound like quite the dilemma...Do you know what you're going to do when you get to Ponyville?"

"I wish to open a hotel."

"A hotel?"

Night Shade nodded again. "Aye. There is no hotel in Ponyville. In fact, there are no hotels in all of this side of Equestria. Traveling citizens are always passing by, yet it seems there is no place for them to stay, as if they always rent a house or spend the night in someone else's home. What if they wanted a place of their own? Wouldn't they prefer that over having to share?"

"Yes...I'd figure that was the mindset of whomever invented the idea of the hotel...but...I fail to see how building a hotel will allow you to find happiness, Mr. Shade."

"It's the ponies," Night Shade explained. "Ponies who live in hotels long-term are different from the ponies who live in ordinary housing. They have a unique sense of community and belonging which is both undeniable and indestructible. They seem unified and codependent, as if they each depend on one another to survive as a whole. It is this sense of belonging and community I desire: to be included in the hustle-and-bustle of my own community hotel. I want to feel like I belong. And, well...I do not feel like I belonged alone in Canterlot."

"I see...so you feel you will receive happiness when you feel like you belong somewhere."

Night Shade only nodded.

"That's an excellent motive, Mr. Shade, and I respect it."

"Thanks."

"Do you have any plans for setting up your hotel when we arrive in Ponyville?"

This time, Night Shade shook his head. "No...I don't have much money, or much sense in the field of business."

It almost sounded as if he were intentionally trying to arouse the attention of the unicorn sitting next to him.

"You know..." Michael perked up. "I have much experience in the world of business. I'm an entrepreneur. Business is my middle name!" He sounded as if he could keep patting himself on the back forever. "Anyway, why don't I help you jumpstart your hotel, hmm? I have money. And I don't plan on doing anything in Ponyville that I haven't done a million times already. Whatdya say? You wanna partner up with me? Build your dreams that much faster."

Night Shade pondered the idea. He had about a week's worth of food money on him: less than a hundred bits to his name. And the supplies he carried in the sash around his neck was not going to get him far. If he did not do well in Ponyville, returning to Canterlot would be difficult. And it's not like he has the ability to pay for a whole hotel in cash - not one with more than two walls and one story, that is. He would have to sell his own puny estate back in Canterlot if he were to get his business anywhere off the ground. It did not occur to him before, but without Michael, his business might not ever take off. Then where would he be? A lone dreamer unable to accomplish the one goal in life he desired.

Now it seemed he had no choice.

"Deal."

Michael and Night Shade hoofbumped one another, just a few moments before the Friendship Express pulled up to its station in Ponyville.