• Published 4th Feb 2012
  • 8,855 Views, 180 Comments

Pony Dreams - Fuzzyfurvert



An old evil returns as a bored Princess Luna goes dream hopping to liven up her night.

  • ...
23
 180
 8,855

Luna's Luck Runs Out

Chapter Seven

***

Twilight Sparkle’s Dreamscape

***

With the giggles firmly under a tight lid, Luna showed Twilight the basics of her dream magics, focusing on manipulating their shared reality. Twilight took to it like a starving pony at a hay buffet. It was awe-inspiring to see her mind at work after only hearing about it secondhoof. To consume and process so much new information and grasp the principles firmly was one thing, but to be firm enough on those principles to peek at the theories behind them was wholly another. The gifted mare was already controlling those dream and mental energies in moments while Luna had struggled through trial and error over the course of decades.

“So, you’re saying if I want to move an object in a dream–or change a fundamental property of it like size or shape–that I need to insert my will over the passive will of the dreamer? That they, the dream originator, need to be NOT paying attention to said object? So that when the change is made, the mind accepts it as its own creation or alteration?” Twilight rubbed her chin with one hoof. “Like a slight-of-hoof trick? Direct their attention to something else, and then while their backs are turned, make the switch?”

Luna clapped her hooves together and grinned. “Yes! That is how it is done, Twilight. Once you are practiced enough, you can make several alterations at once and control the flow of the dream. You must remember that you are not dealing with a pony, per se, but the MIND of a pony that believes it is still in the waking world. The changes you make should be cues to that mind’s memory, essentially tricking it to do your bidding. This isn’t inherently malicious. It is merely the way I have learned something so complex as a mind can be communicated with on a metaphorically larger scale than simple verbal communication with the individual!”

“You mean that by manipulation of the dream around the individual, you can communicate to their subconscious mind as well?” Twilight tapped her hoof to her chin and tilted her head. “I understand that, I think. But why?”

Luna blinked at the question. “Well... I suppose, it is about control. Dream logic, as I am sure you are aware, is a faulty beast. However, if you remind the dreamer about things, you can keep it from falling apart. Or, at least, slow the decay. Suppose that you are trying to help the dreamer recall missing details of a past event, or conversely, forget details. By controlling where that stream of consciousness goes, you can bring it to those hidden memories or steer it away from them. It also helps to prevent a dream suddenly changing without warning.” Luna arched an eyebrow at Twilight. “Sleeping minds tend to bore quickly and change the dream reality with little rhyme or reason. A nightmare could arise, or more… private dreams could manifest.”

Twilight had the good sense to look embarrassed. She blushed and looked away from Luna. The alicorn smirked. “Take, for instance, your Starswirl the Bearded hat. I take it that it was important when you started this dream, because it makes you feel smart, and you were experimenting with magic just as he used to. However, it became unimportant, and you stopped paying attention to it. Lacking importance to the dream narrative, it was removed. You didn’t take it off. It simply vanished, and this is okay to your dreaming mind’s continuity, even though you are aware of the dream being what it is.”

Twilight looked up sharply, waving a hoof above her horn. Luna chuckled. “Now, let us try a small experiment. This is a novel experience for me. I’ve never been in the lucid dream of such a gifted pony before. So, while you are paying attention, why don’t we create something fantastic? Um… Since this is your dream, why don’t you go first?”

“Alright.” Twilight scrunched her lips in concentration. Trying to do magic while not actually doing magic was a difficult concept, but Luna just knew Twilight Sparkle would be able to pull it off.

It’s odd, feeling such trust in a pony I do not know very well. Luna pondered. Though, I suppose that her regular reports to Tia have helped build that feeling. Tia’s own trust in this mare must have transferred or rubbed off on me. And odd though it may seem, I still find comfort in it.

Beside the two mares, two lumpy, floating shapes formed from pure dreamstuff. They looked like clouds taking shape in the sky as it grew cool and wet in the evening hours. Each mass was bigger than the present ponies and bobbed up and down slightly as Twilight directed their growth. It felt as if a long time was passing, as she watched the constructs come into being, but it was only her mind drinking in all the detail Twilight put into the formations. The shapeless blobs of proto-dream matter reached realization and suddenly two huge cushions floated before them.

“Take a seat!”

Luna caressed her cushion idly with her hoof. It felt like the softest spider silk. It was otherwise simply a large pillow that had Luna’s own Cutie Mark as a pattern, while Twilight’s pillow had her Cutie Mark. They both floated just off the ground, paying no heed to physics. It felt to Luna just like resting on a cloud in the waking world. The stitching was exquisite, easily equal to any such furniture that graced the Castle. Luna admired the mare’s attention to detail again, but felt she couldn’t let herself be outdone in what was her own demesne.

Luna smirked at Twilight as she summoned a dark cloud of her own. As she took her seat on the cushion Twilight had so graciously provided, Luna ripped the smoke and mists apart, weaving it back together as a whimsical tea set, cups and saucers with long stirring spoons set for two. Hot spiced tea poured from the small tea pot into two wide cups atop a floating platter that was made of the same wispy material.

“Princ-- er, Luna?” Luna startled out of her momentary reprieve as Twilight spoke. The unicorn was looking at her, examining her face.

“Yes, Twilight?”

“Can I ask about how your reintegration has been going? I’m very curious to know how you've adjusted.”

***

Canterlot Castle: Celestia’s Chambers

***

Inside the dark skybridge that led to Celestia’s personal chambers, a lone alicorn walked unsteadily towards the security checkpoint. Her face was a determined scowl, ears flattened against her skull, eyes flicking back to look at her rear set of legs. After the first few steps past the small antechamber with the mirror, the tremors started, getting worse with every inch of distance covered. Celestia stumbled again as her left rear leg kicked out wildly. It hit one of the magically re-enforced windows and bounced off without leaving so much as a scuff mark. The Celestia puppet reached out with a wing to brace against the opposite wall, hijacked magenta eyes narrowed to glare at her reflection in the glass.

“Oh give it a rest, Celestia! This body is mine now, and you will behave! Accept defeat like the graceful mare you are supposed to be.”

Celestia’s rear stopped kicking and dropped into a sitting position, pulling the rest of the body with it. The puppet rolled its eyes, feeling the original owner’s anger wash over it. “Stupid quadruped. Fine! Fight all you wish; you are not winning this time. Our last meeting was a fluke. A bit of bad luck on my part, I assure you. I’m not going to lose again and be stuck with that insane conglomerate of fools down in the Gardens. After I absorb more of your pathetic followers into the Dream, I won’t even have to look at your hideous face any longer. I will reclaim my individual body, even if I have to use this one for the raw materials! When that is done, I shall rule the skies once more! I will command the fear of nations! I will take control of those little bastard offspring of mine, and your ponies will be reintroduced to their proper place on the food chain!”

“Excuse me, Your Highness?”

The puppet alicorn snapped its head up sharply to see three freshly arrived pegasi in Celestia’s personal guard. They wore the same golden armor as the two back inside the royal bedchamber. Its eyes flicked nervously from guard to guard, forelegs back peddling. Her rear steadfastly refused to move and the frantic scampering only served to wrinkle up the long rug that ran the length of the skybridge.

“Is something amiss, Princess? Why are you sitting in the hall? Is there anything we can help you with? We heard a noise.” The lead of the three looked pointedly at the window that was recently kicked. He had some sort of insignia on his chest that denoted rank, though the puppeteer didn't care what it might signify.

“Yes,” the Celestia-doll smiled sweetly, her borrowed voice sounded loving with forced calm and only a hint of tremor. “Sleep.” All three Dayguard ponies crumpled like discarded toys into a heap on the floor, their helmets clanking loudly together. Their eyes closed, and their breathing became deep and steady. After a moment, one of them began to snore.

“You see, Celestia?’’ The puppet smirked, looking back at its reflection in the glass. “I win this time. This time, you won’t have your fire to help you. This time, you won’t have me trapped. No pony will come save you. None will hear your screams. Every pony I pull into the Dream will fuel my power. Their wills will bend to my lies. It’s almost sad that you are strong enough to not be so readily absorbed. Now you have to watch me do it to them. I wouldn’t wish that torture even on you, old mare.” The puppeteer laughed with a hoarse croak. “Oh, who am I kidding? Of course I would! Especially… on you.”

The thing wearing Celestia strained against gravity, using foreign anatomy and, slowly, quivering in refusal the whole way its rear legs rose back into a standing position.

“I win.”

***

Twilight Sparkle’s Dreamscape

***

“I've written Princess Celestia on the subject several times, but she has been vague in her answers. For your privacy’s sake, I’m sure!” Twilight grinned sheepishly. “But I’m curious to know how it’s going, as there aren’t too many other ponies that get to come back to society after a thousand year absence. If you don’t mind my asking, of course!”

“N-no. I don’t mind.” Luna frowned, looking down at her smoke-sculpted cup of tea. “It... it has been rough, I must admit. There has been a great deal of changes over the last thousand years. Some are large and obvious.” Luna flashed Twilight a wiry smile before frowning again. “Others… not so much. There isn’t a day that passes that I do not make some faux pas.”

Twilight nodded, a sympathetic frown on her face. “I can imagine. Before coming to Ponyville, I had practically zero friends and even less social experience. I know the feeling, or, at least I knew something that must feel similar to what you are going through Luna.” Twilight rested her chin on one hoof contemplatively. “If only Spike were here! I’ve been thinking of a list of questions to ask you, should the opportunity ever present itself. And here we are with no one to write it out. I don’t even have any paper or a quill to use! Aaaarrrggh!”

Luna chuckled, smirking at the young unicorn’s frustration. “Twilight? We are in a dream. In your mind. You can simply will the list into being if you choose, just as you did these fine cushions. I would be interested in hearing what questions you have for me.”

Twilight looked at her, eyes wide with both understanding and instant embarrassment for not realizing it sooner. “Oh. Yeah.”

***

Canterlot Castle: North Wing, Third Floor

***

The Celestia puppet wobbled down the hall, pass the servant’s commons, a lopsided grin on its face. With a chuckle as unsteady as its gait, it paused to look at a door decorated with intricate polished bronze work depicting the Cutie Mark it wore on its flank.

“You really have built up the place since I last saw it, Celestia. Very elegant. I like all the hardwood and marble, very castle-ly. Almost a shame I’m going to reduce it to a pile of broken stone and rotten timbers. But you should be glad that I’m going to make the ruins my new nest! It’s perfect! High up, with a commanding view of the countryside. It has fresh water and a nearby food supply. And, best of all, it’ll have the legend of not one, or two, but THREE gods meeting their ends at my talons!”

The not-Celestia giggled to itself. “I think I might keep your tower intact though. Perhaps I’ll spread rumors that you are still alive, imprisoned there. Do you think that would be enough bait to draw out the little survivors of my return? Maybe I’ll put a statue of you there—oh! Let’s make it just a broken piece of your head! Ha! The looks on their faces before I burst in should be as delicious as their horseflesh!”

Celestia’s left rearmost leg spasmed violently; hoof connecting with the body’s own backside with a meaty sounding thud. Her wings flared out, maintaining balance as the puppet grimaced. Faint voices reached its ears as a trio of earth pony maids rounded the corner, talking quietly amongst themselves. At the sight of their ruler they all halted with a gasp and bowed low, ignoring her odd posture and the look of surprise on her face.

“Just watch, Celestia,” it snickered, voice quiet as it looked at the bowing ponies with one eye, “you can take a little solace in knowing they aren’t dead. Yet. Merely dreaming. Though, of course, they won’t wake up to feed themselves. And I will get a might peckish after I’ve dealt with your sister and the Elements. Need to bulk up before I grind what’s left of Discord to so much dust. At least they won’t see it coming.”

Turning to face the servants, it stalked awkwardly towards them, wings still splayed out for balance. The maids looked up, their faces going from surprised to confusion as they watched their majesty wobble menacingly forward. The tallest of the ponies, a mare with a light brown coat and mass of blonde curls for a mane, braved a step forward before kneeling.

“Are you… alright, your Majesty? You seem a little shaky. Should we fetch the royal physician?”

“No child.” The puppeteer pulled Celestia’s lips into a wide, manic grin. “I am right as rain! Fit as a fiddle! Fresh as a feather and feeling just as light! Though, now that you mention it, I could use a pick-me-up.” Its voice dropped an octave as it closed distance to the trio. “And don’t you three look… just… scrumptious!”

***

Twilight Sparkle’s Dreamscape

***

Luna raised an eyebrow, watching Twilight read over her list to herself. She had formed a scroll of considerable length with golden caps on the roller rod and a red ribbon, just like the type she frequently used to correspond with Celestia. A small jar of ink and a red orange feather quill floated next to it. She couldn’t read it, but Luna could see traces of Twilight’s flowy script along the edges where the parchment curled. The ink was the same rich shade of purple as Twilight’s mane.

“Do you have many questions, Twilight? That seems a long scroll to me.”

Twilight smiled, the scroll rolling into the ‘start’ position. “Oh no, not many questions really. I gave myself room for making notes and writing any new questions that occur to me as we go along.”

“Ah.” The alicorn licked her lips and focused her gaze in front of her nose, her will summoning a cartoonishly oversized scroll into existence. She crafted it with a polished obsidian roller and a silver chain. She made the parchment a dark navy blue and gave herself an inkstone that glittered like the star specks in her own mane. Then Luna created a quill with a shimmering tail like a comet.

“Um… Luna? What is all that for?”

Luna glanced back at Twilight, eyes wide. “Oh! Uh, this is for… n-notes. Yes! Notes! I thought I would… capture my thoughts as we spoke. If that is alright?”

Twilight grinned, tilting her head. “No, that is perfectly fine! Such a good idea too, Luna! I should have thought of that myself.”

Stop trying to one up her, damnit! Twilight is new at this and if you anger her, this might be the last conversation you get! Luna shook her head to clear her thoughts. She doesn’t seem to notice yet, but I shouldn’t try my luck. I know it rarely plays out well for me.

“Okay!” Twilight dotted something on her scroll and sat up neatly on her pillow. “For the first item, let’s start with something easy. Are you caught up on current Royal customs and Equestrian National Policy?”

Luna dropped her head onto her forehooves with a grunt. “I thought you said we were starting with something easy?” She groaned and looked at the floor. “I suppose…”

Twilight held her quill to her parchment, ready to transcribe Luna’s answers as the princess faded to an uncomfortable silence. The unicorn waited a moment and was about to speak when Luna lifted her head again.

“If you wish a short answer, then yes. I am well versed on the modern ways of the Courts and position of Equestria,” Luna paused, as she ran her tongue over her bottom lip, “I can quote our national laws and name our allies and enemies. I could oversee a political function, if called on.”

Luna’s voice faded and she frowned. I certainly could oversee something, if Celestia would give me half a chance with anything more demanding than a parade!

“You don’t sound confident, Luna.” Twilight wore a concerned look on her face even as her horn glowed with the magic directing her writing quill as she took notes.

“Well, perhaps I’m not!” Luna slapped a hoof against her floating pillow with a muffled ‘whumph.’ Her pupils contracted as she glared at the floor. “I never get to do anything meaningful! When would I ever get to use my knowledge in a practical way? I hold Court each night now, but no pony shows up most of the time. Tia proceeds over any event that comes up because no pony ever asks me to! Unless it’s something insipid like fireworks to celebrate the event my sister oversaw. I may sleep most the day, but I am a Princess of Equestria as much as Tia is! I want to be as great a princess as she is but I never get any practice.”

Luna looked up at her companion to gauge Twilight’s reaction. She was surprised at herself for letting that out. Never had she voiced her frustrations to another pony since her return. Even on Nightmare Night she had only let the smallest hint of it shine through. She had dreaded then, when she had opened up to Twilight, that the mare would run or rail against her for daring to be anything less than happy with Celestia. That fear of rejection tasted fresh on her tongue again. For the second time since her return however, the simple, reassuring smile on Twilight’s face washed that taste away.

“Um… please don’t tell Tia that. She would misunderstand.” Luna blinked quickly and glanced at the chalkboard and Twilight’s sprawling notes and equations, unable to meet the unicorn’s eyes. “I’m… uh, not even supposed to be using my dream powers… Heh.”

Twilight Sparkle reached out and placed one hoof over Luna’s. “Don’t worry Luna. I don’t report everything to the Princess. But I know the feeling of having a lot of knowledge about something and no way to use it. I imagine that running the country is difficult enough without that added stress. It makes me admire you even more for having that strength of character, Luna.”

She admires me? Luna blinked and widened eyes in surprise, feeling a blush begin to creep up her neck.

“I have strength of character? Are you certain that you are not confusing me for a taller, paler Princess?” Luna grinned lopsidedly. “I believe it’s my lack of strength that holds me back, Twilight. I’m… I’m not even sure why I just told you all of that. I love Tia dearly, and I’m grateful for everything she’s done to guide my return, truly. But I feel so…”

Luna waved her hoof about in a loose circle, her mouth opening and closing as she searched for the modern phrasing. “I feel so… off the wheel? Is that right? I want to say I am uninformed on certain topics.”

“Ah! ‘Out of the loop’ is the phrasing you are looking for.” Twilight supplied with that same beatific smile and not an ounce of ridicule or impatience. “I suppose that would be a good segue to my second question: Are you caught up on modern social customs and pony interaction norms? I can hear that your use of modern speaking patterns has become much stronger since Nightmare Night. Congratulations!”

***

Canterlot Castle: North Wing, Stairwell Two

***

The wooden door that led to the third floor from the north stairwell was simple but sturdy, crafted from oak heartwood by a master carpenter. It guarded that entry way with strength and grace on silent hinges as surely as any living, breathing guard pony. It was equipped with a solid iron drop bar to lock it from the inside, should there ever be an invasion of the castle from outside forces. This door and dozens of others just like it were commissioned by Princess Celestia forty seven years ago to replace the previous fixtures from 200 years before. Its kick plate, worn smooth and dulled by the press of hooves from thousands of maids overloaded with laundry, armed guards, and castle visitors vibrated quietly from where it was embedded in the railing overlooking the stairwell; its last kick received ending its long duty.

Celestia’ body paced into the stairwell, crunching wood chips and planks that used to be a door underhoof. When it reached the railing, it looked down the three flights to the ground floor below. “Oh buck this.”

The Celestia thing looked at the polished metal plate and its own reflection with a wicked sneer. A powerful foreleg reached out and pressed against the wood and stone banister, making it creak and pop as it leaned forward. “No, I do not think I shall be taking the stairs. While I must admire your tenacity, Celestia, taking a fall down the stairwell is beneath my dignity. I may not be in my own body at the moment, but I do have your wings. This route will be much quicker!”

The banister gave way with a series of snaps, polished oak splintering and marble shattering, raining down on the floor below. White wings spread, filling the third floor landing before the not-Celestia leaped off the ledge and fell as the stones had. The stairwell was not designed to allow true flight for something with the Princess’ wingspan. A regular Pegasus would find no difficulty, but the best Celestia’s body could do was somewhat slow its descent. Hooves as white as the wings hit the ground a split second after leaving the third floor with a tremendous crash, smashing the intricate tile work into so much masonry dust under them. It flexed at the knees, taking a prolonged moment to reorient itself, a sly grin spreading across its lips.

“So you do feel pain, huh, old mare?” The puppeteer regarded its reflection in the glass window that looked out into the Moonlit courtyard. “You’re showing your age, Celestia. No longer are you the wee spring chick that defeated me all those centuries ago! How long has it been? About two thousand years, give or take?” The puppeteer made Celestia snort. So long ago now it must be myth. Do your ponies still fear the dark? Do they tell their foals stories about the Night Terror any longer, hmm? I know you gave my Darkness to your bratty little sister. How’s that worked out for her?”

It turned and smirked at the door that lead out to the Castle’s main kitchen. Even through the old oak the sounds of bustling ponies made its way into the stairwell. Servants and staff ponies worked at preparing the royal meals for the next day; they had cleaned up the last evening’s repast and were making last minute midnight snacks. “Really, I don’t see how you ponies ever got past the grazing herd stage of evolution. Must be some sort of cosmic joke. Perhaps you smell grass or oats or something, Celestia. Not me. I smell horseflesh. It makes me hungry. I should be able to get what I need here, and then I’ll be ready to pay your sweet sister a visit.”

***

Twilight Sparkle’s Dreamscape

***

Luna blinked rapidly, her weak smile faltering. “Thank you, that is kind to say. But I do not believe that I have reached a level of proficiency that warrants praise. I HAVE practiced with Tia some, but only she; I have no other pony to speak to.”

“Not even the servants or the nobles?”

Luna snorted dismissively. “The nobles? I only interact with them when legal or state matters require it so. They seem to value their sleep more than my company.” She rolled her eyes. “Nor, frankly, are there many that I would choose to spend time with! I am sure you recall their behavior from your own time spent in Canterlot, Twilight. And the servants,” Luna trailed off, eyes on the ground again, “they laugh at me behind my back and a few rooms away. I still hear them though.”

Twilight gasped, her pen flicked angrily as she wrote. “They LAUGHED? I can’t believe they would do something so rude! Your communication skills may be understandably lacking in some areas—not that I’m saying you aren’t good at it, you HAVE been away from the world for a long time—but still! Next time I’m at the Castle I will have to make sure that is addressed!”

Luna gawked at Twilight, surprised to hear the unicorn jumping to her defense. “Oh, there is no need for that, Twilight! It only happened once, and Celestia was very firm with the staff after that. They have been flawlessly polite ever since.” Luna rubbed her hoof against her pillow, enjoying the softness of it and the companionship of its creator. “It is just... they are not good teachers. They don’t talk to me unless I start the conversation. There is no... small talk? Is that the right term?”

Twilight nodded.

“See? Like that! They never speak of simple things, or talk with me as an equal or correct me when I make a mistake. They are not patient, or interested or interesting, as you are.”

Twilight’s quill paused. “I’m interesting?”

Luna nodded slowly, unable to maintain eye contact with Twilight. “Er… yes, you are. That is why I visited your dream in the first place. I wished to know you better. I thought, that since we are as close to equals as anypony and a goddess can be then we should perhaps be friends.” She sighed and focused her gaze on her hooves. Why am I staring at my hooves so much? Look her in the eye! Are you a goddess or some whimpering filly?

Luna forced herself to look up, taking in all of Twilight Sparkle. She looked at the unicorn as a whole, still unable to meet those deep magenta colored eyes that were so like Celestia’s yet indescribably different. She likened them as pools of pure mana, accepting all they saw and calling for her to drown happily in them.

Where in the hay did THAT come from? I thought I was supposed to worry about Sparkle making this dream go all sexy? Why is she looking at me like that? Have I been sitting here looking at her in silence this whole time?

“Luna? Are you okay? You looked like you were going to say more and then just faded out and started looking at me all funny.”

Ah, crap! I was just staring! Say something, anything! Mouth, this is Brain calling! Start working or I will SO send you to the Sun!

“Abulagh-- Wha?” Luna shook her head violently. “I’m—I’m sorry! I did not mean to just stare! I was…was,” Luna faded out, unsure of what to say.

“Lost in thought?” Twilight arched an eyebrow and then giggled. “I do that all the time too! Don’t worry about it, Luna.”

Luna sighed heavily and lowered her head to her hooves, brow furrowed. “Yes. ‘Lost in thought’ would accurately describe what just happened.” She grumbled under her breath, chewing on her lower lip. “I wished to be better friends with you, Twilight, that is all. I am still indebted to you for your aid, freely given last Nightmare Night. And, as I have already said, I have no pony else to speak with.”

Luna curled her legs together on her floating pillow, resting her chin on her ankles, no longer able to look at her unicorn companion. She wrapped her tail about herself, looking through its semi-transparent blue sheen at the tiny specks of light within. When she spoke again, her voice was small and thick with tears. “You must think me a very silly pony indeed.”

***

Canterlot Castle: Main Wing, First Floor Kitchens

***

Batter Dip didn’t know what was going on. He was just finishing up the last sink full of dishes from dinner when a distant crash noise silenced the chatter among the servant ponies like startled crickets. It sounded like a lot of wood hitting the stone floor followed by the sound of pots and pans being dropped. He thought somepony must have over turned a shelf full of cookware, but then a murmur started going through the rest of the kitchen, and he was certain he heard the Princess’ name a few times. She sometimes came by to thank or congratulate them for their hard work. And she usually brought cake or pastries ordered from outside the Castle when she did. Batter Dip didn’t want to miss out, knowing how ravenous the kitchen crew could be at the end of a day. The brown Earth pony turned from the huge sink and dish pile, tossing off his smock as he did so. He made it two steps before the first screams started.

Batter Dip could see his friend Meringue Slice ahead of him, standing at the door to the main kitchens, looking in the direction of the commotion. The green mare turned back and the look on her face was somewhere between confused and horrified. She looked like she was about to scream when she suddenly dropped to the floor like a puppet whose strings had been severed. He could feel his own scream start to crawl up his throat when the most peculiar feeling came over him. He could not, for the life of him, recall why he had wanted to scream. He had everything he wanted: riches, fame and fillies by the score thanks to his masterful marketing of his own Dipped Treats food line. Batter shook the odd unsettled feeling off and settled back into the comfy beach chair where he liked to lounge and catch rays. He waved to Meringue Slice as she climbed dripping wet from his pool and started toward him with hungry eyes that wanted something other than sweets.

It stalked through the kitchens slowly, a manic grin on those borrowed lips. Celestia’s wings were partially spread, held low so that the primary feathers grazed the ground and caressed the bodies of her fallen servants. Her left rear leg was the one part of her body that still fought, reaching vainly for purchase on anything within reach, trying to halt the inexorable progress of her possessor. For a moment, her hoof caught the edge of a heavy table leg.

“Oh please, Celestia, stop. This is getting embarrassing.” The not Celestia sighed heavily, looking down into the curved back of a silver spoon. “You can’t stop me. You’ve lost. Have some dignity and let me at my spoils. Look around! Your precious ponies are all but dead, and I didn’t even need to lift a talon. In your youth, yes, you defeated me. But now, I return as strong as ever and you are weak, defenseless! The Elements have passed on to new bearers. I’ve seen them. I know who they are, and separated, they are even weaker than you and your brat of a sister. I will kill them first. Well, after Luna, that is. All fall before the might of Delusion and my Dream! I can feel it spreading, reaching further and further afield, absorbing more minds. Each one empowers me and renders you and yours short on aid. After I’ve absorbed the Element Bearers, I will kill them. Just to be sure.”

Delusion, the puppeteer, smirked, “Yes, I know all about them. I was there, inside Discord, lending that abominable amalgamation my powers. I faced them when he did, and I know their strength and weaknesses. They will be easy to remove. Only you and your sister pose any significant challenge and without your powers, you’re in the bag. So, that leaves Luna as the only wild card. To think, in my absence a pony of all things became steward of my Night sky. Did you fear me so much, Celestia, that you put the Night in the hooves of your own sister? Well, it obviously didn’t work, did it? And you have your own kind to thank for my return. How’s that for irony?”

Delusion chuckled and looked back at the trembling leg that held tenuously to the table leg. “But I have enough gathered strength now. Enough gullible minds in my Dream to overpower the Elements and your sister, even if they do rally. And as fun as if has been, talking with you and showing you the fall of your race, I do think it’s time we moved on. Goodbye, old horse. Get some well-deserved sleep, and let the Dream ease you into oblivion along with the rest of pony kind. I have one last task for this body of yours before I get down to some major reconstructive work and make it more to my liking. Poor Luna gets to see you one last time.”

The trembling in Delusion’s left rear leg grew violent for a moment before going suddenly still. He searched his mind, listening for a voice that wasn’t his own. Celestia, his bane, was no more, banished now into the deeper Dreaming. The laugh that escaped his throat was ragged and raw, sounding more like a squawk and crow. Placing all four hooves under his obedient and very soon to be altered body, he turned and walked with purpose towards the hall that would eventually take him to the Courts.

***

Everfree Forest: Witchdoctor’s Abode

***

Night-vision enchanted goggles were wonderful things. Marvels of modern magikery. They allowed a pony to see in darkness practically as well as full Daylight, even if they put a slight green tinted haze over everything. After years of lurking in the dark places that civilized ponies avoided at all cost, Fleur reflected it was the way she preferred to see the world. The dark was a welcoming embrace, the tight confines she often found herself in comfortable and safe. Lurking in unseen places was her element, theft was her art. Growing up in the poorer parts of southern Prance had taught her the fine arts of discretion and subterfuge as well as running and hiding when the authorities came to round up the troublemakers. Fleur told everypony she was an orphan because it fit well with her childhood tales, but the truth was her mother was still very much alive and well. Her daughter’s less than legal exploits kept the old mare more than comfortable.

Behind the goggles and mask, Fleur suppressed a sigh. These rustic cabins and huts that dotted the Equestian countryside always reminded her of home and her mother. That’s why she preferred the city life in Canterlot. Old memories only held her back. And this was the last place she needed to wax poetically about any supposed ‘good old times.’ She needed to be sharp, focused, and wound like a spring. This was no ordinary rustic hut in the middle of a forbidden forest. This was a witchdoctor’s hut in the middle of a forbidden forest.

Fleur lay on her belly, weight balanced on her hooves extended out in front and behind her on a ceiling strut with twisted vine ropes strapped to it that supported earthen jars above an empty cauldron. She had entered the hut through the natural, twisted chimney that carved through the roof and up into the higher boughs of the tree that formed the main body of the building. Size manipulation was one of the spells she found a great deal of use for. It let her into all sorts of places. While she was no powerhouse like Fancypants, she was arguably master level at precision spellcraft that focused on physical alterations such as size, speed, and flexibility. Of course, her natural abilities in those areas were top-notch, honed to perfection by years of practice and training. It had the side effect of giving her a tall, sleek form that was the envy of all the fat, soft, noble mares in Canterlot and the desire of their husbands. Her beauty opened almost as many doors are her deft hooves-- almost.

Below her prostrated form, the pitch black interior of the hut was illuminated to a pale green form of Day time by her goggles. There was only three rooms. The large main, mostly circular chamber with a fire pit in the center had two smaller rooms that branched off to the south and west sides. One was a bathroom and the other a small nook that held a bed and a few personal items. That was where Fleur could see the witchdoctor resting. It turned out to be a mare, as she thought from the photo. She could make out five golden neckrings on the zebra from her perch as well as five more golden rings on the witchdoctor’s right foreleg. The rings where like a unicorn’s horn for the zebras. They were charged with elemental energies and could twist magic in ways no mortal pony should be able. As far as Fleur knew, only a few zebras had been encountered with the golden rings outside their own nation, and they each only possessed one or two. This one had ten of the things and was a potion making witchdoctor to boot.

The witchdoctor was stretched out on her side, facing the wall away from Fleur’s position with a light sheet pulled over her flanks. Her breathing was steady and paced. She couldn’t see the zebra’s eye twitches, but she certainly sounded fast asleep. A quick scan of the interior when she first entered found the jar she was looking for on the shelf directly above the bed. Fleur cursed her luck for the hundredth time and started to move. She hooked one hoof around the edge of the beam she was perched on and swung down in a graceful arc. She didn’t even need her magic for this part. Her long legs and fully extended torso brought her hooves within inches of the floor before she let go, rolling with the motion and landing quiet as a cat. Keeping her momentum was the secret to stealth. Silent hooves glided on hardwood, long strides crossed the floor and brought Fleur close enough to use her magic.

Telekinesis without the telltale aura was a trick she had picked up as a foal. It proved very useful for filching without being seen or heard. But it came with severe range limitations. Normally, Fleur could lift any object she had the physical strength to move, using her magic at a range roughly ten times that of her natural reach. Diverting the energy to suppress the glow of her aura cut that down to only twice her natural reach, so getting close was the key. She reached the end of the bed and extended her hoof over the reclined form of the zebra, using it as a guide to zero her sights on the straw wrapped jar with the odd glass stopper. She hoped that the sudden movement wouldn’t disturb whatever was in it, but the risk was worth it to make this as quick as she could. The jar sailed towards her, covering the short distance to her hoof in a blur.

Keeping the momentum, Fleur pocketed the potion into a waiting saddle bag even as she arched back and executed a graceful backward cartwheel. The breeze generated by her motion was the only indicator of her passing. She turned, corkscrewing her spine to spring back up to her perch. She always preferred leaving the same as she entered if it could be helped. For some reason, it always seemed more professional to her. The beam was well within reach using her current speed and a little coordination. Once she had her hooves on it, a little pull up and a silent shrinking spell and she was home free.

Luck, however, is a fickle mistress. For a moment it all seemed to be going so well. Then the world went green-white as light flooded the enchanted goggles, blinding the cat-burglar. Her trust in her own ability and training combined with simple physics put Fleur where she had been aiming. She swung on the beam, one hoof hooked on its edge and pulled up her rear legs. Her unnoticed escape was certainly ruined and she wasn’t about to leave her flank unguarded. Thankfully, somepony had the sense to put a giant iron cauldron in the center of the room and provide her with cover. Letting go of the overhead beam threw Fleur over it and she landed in a crouch, yanking the goggles off and blinking rapidly in the golden light that came from the other of her makeshift barrier.

Acheni! Mwizi! Nami hakusita kutumia nguvu!

Fleur didn’t speak Swayhili, but the intent was clear enough. She could hear a sleepy edge to the zebra’s voice too. If she made this quick, she might be able to escape before the witchdoctor woke up fully. Pressed to the side of the cauldron, she took a quick peek back toward the bed. “Vous n'étiez pas à se réveiller! Quand je sortirai d'ici, je vais le tuer. Ceci a été censé être facile ...

Fancy lugha? Ni nini kinachoendelea hapa?” The zebra sounded confused now. The forth ring on her hoof was putting out what looked like stored Sunlight. Fleur knew she’d need to neutralize that if she wanted the advantage back. But doing so would be difficult at best and engaging the zebra head on would likely end bad for her. It would be best to make a run for it and get lost in the woods.

The witchdoctor switched to Equestian Common. As she spoke, another of her rings began to glow a deep red, throwing the interior of the hut into a sinister shade.

“Rogue! Trespasser! Vile imbecile!

Your actions raise my bile!

You think you can hide?

This transgression I will not abide.

Give up and return the vial!”

She switched back to Swayhili and snarled out something that sounded like it should be unpronounceable by pony vocal cords. The wooden masks that hung on the walls animated suddenly and opened their mouths like sharks, displaying row after row of sharp painted incisors. But the teeth weren’t Fleur’s first concern. Each mask vomited forth a tangle of vines as thick as a stallion’s waist, sporting long thorns and even bladed leaves. They surged and flowed out along the walls and floor and ceiling, coating every surface as they crawled along in search of their prey.

***

Canterlot Castle: Service Hallway Three, First Floor

***

Delusion walked slowly, enjoying the thrill of being the only voice in his head, the only mind in control of that body. Too long had he been a part of the mad god, Discord. None of the Old Ones asked for that fate, but they had made due. They plunged the world into Chaos until Celestia arrived with her sister and the Elements of Harmony to rein them in again. She hadn’t needed those when she had taken them on individually. Her power was immense.

And it is likely, that over time, Luna has grown into her godhead too. I must be careful about this. I only get one shot if I don’t want to take on a goddess and the Elements together. I feel strong, but why take chances?

He stopped at an intersection, listening to the Castle around him. There were a couple of guard ponies here, already snoring, and absorbed into the Dream before he had even gotten close. It radiated out around him, ever reaching new distance with each mind devoured into his personal playland of lies and deceit. He could feel new minds enter it as the Dream reached to cover about two thirds of the Castle. Math and figures weren’t his strong point, but it seemed to him that by the time the dawn came it would reach out beyond the mountain where the city perched.

“If dawn even comes,” Delusion chuckled, “I suppose I’ll see what happens when… whatever happens, happens.” He smirked again, as more pony minds were added to the Dream. As they experienced the Dreaming, and in doing so, believed the lies he wove for each of them, his power swelled. It was heady after so long without. His ability with lies and falsehoods and gaining power from them had been usurped from his control by Discord. Even though he had been a building block of that super entity, Delusion couldn’t help but think of him as separate from himself.

In times now shrouded in myth and mists, he had been his own bird, Master of the Sky and dark Night, terror to all lesser creatures. Where his form blotted out the stars, ruin had followed like an obedient hound. He was a god in those times. One of many among the Old Ones, but feared and revered by all. Then Celestia came, and the rise of the ponies started. She brought light and cut the darkness like a scythe. One by one, the Old Ones had fallen, until only he remained.

Delusion had been nesting when she came to face him. A mountain peak so high it looked down on the clouds, the air thin and almost non-existent. He had called it home for centuries. The very stone there was permanently stained red from his meals. She came, of course, at the worst time. The Sun burned high in the heavens and he was full from a meal of ponies. Their flesh was almost intoxicating after being run down to exhaustion. Their fear was a great spice, but the false hope he gave them by pretending to let them escape was even greater.

Celestia surprised him, gorged and tired, with a blinding flare of light, and then blasted him with the heat of every Summer Day at once. He had reeled, shielding his eyes with a wing as talons gripped at the mountain for purchase. Even before he found it, his other wing snapped out, colliding with Celestia like a meteor and throwing the tiny mare into the stones below where she cratered rather nicely.

And that is where I failed. Delsuion shook his head sadly as his started walking again. I gloated. I yammered on like a fool while she used the dust cover from her crash to whip up another Sunbeam. Sliced my claw clean off and sent me falling. And like a twice damned fool I go down cursing, broadcasting my position and too incensed to take to the air and get some distance. I brought it all on myself. I see that now. But this time is going to be different.

Delusion stopped and listened again. “Still no response from the sister. Can she be so blind as to have missed me? Or am I walking into a trap?” It thought for a few moments before shrugging. “Doesn’t matter, I suppose. She will respond soon enough. But if my surprise holds out, then she’ll think, at least for a moment, that I am just her dear sister Celestia. And in that moment, I will ram one of these stupid hooves right through her little head! Take out her horn, strip her power, then eat her. That should give me back everything I’ve lost and then some!”

Licking his lips, Delusion chuckled as he started walking again. The servant’s entrance to the Throne Room lay just ahead and the outer guard ponies were already asleep.

***

Everfree Forest: Witchdoctor’s Abode

***

Those look… sharp. Fleur eyed the thorns on the writhing vines that were still impossibly issuing forth from the mouths of the tribal masks on the hut’s walls. They already covered the few windows and the one doorway out to the forest beyond. Her entrance through the natural chimney was still clear, but getting up to it and changing size to fit would leave her dangerously open. If the vines didn’t grab her, then the witchdoctor would have some other trick and a clear line of sight. Pain, in and of itself, wasn’t a big deterrent but being captured on top of everything was out of the question. She was only going to get out of this if she acted and did it fast.

She knew a few combat spells but nothing that would be effective versus the vines. She was also fluent in hoof-to-hoof fighting. If she wanted out of this hut, she was going to have go through the zebra on the other side of the room. She only hoped that taking out the source would shut off the freaky spell-work generating the grasping plants. Pressed up against the cauldron as she was, she could feel its weight, even empty. Normally, she would have difficulty moving or tipping it. But a quick boost spell should give her the strength to get it moving. With it as a shield, she should be able to reach the zebra and clock her good or outright dump the thing on her head. Then Fleur would have the clearance she’d need to make for the chimney. She ran the scenario through her head, one eye on the vines, another on the shadows cast by the weird red light coming from the witchdoctor. Judging by the angle, she was still standing at the foot of her cot, just by the opening to her small sleeping area.

“That potion doesn’t belong to you.

You know not what it can do!

Cockatrice scale, blind Medusa tears, Basilisk hair.

Ironroot and pegasi Stare!

That is no common brew!”

One of the vines whipped across the floor and a long thorn sliced a curled shaving from the wood floor like a knife would cut the skin from an apple. It swung wide of her position, but that was too close for Fleur. Eyes going wide with effort, Fleur cast her spell. It was a simple enlargement enchantment, increasing her size and relative strength by three fold. It is stressful on the body, forcing bones to lengthen and muscles to bunch at once. Thankfully, it lasted only a moment and adjusted her clothing along with her. With her shoulder planted firmly into the curved iron wall of the cauldron, Fleur pushed with her rear hooves into a standing position while thrusting her forelegs to propel the huge cooking pot toward her target. It still felt like a ton of metal, magically enhanced strength or not, but it moved more or less like she wanted it to.

As the iron pot cleared the fire pit, Fleur caught a glance of the witchdoctor. The mare had grabbed a bottle from the shelf at some point and held it up in one hoof, frozen in mid-throw as the sudden launch of the cauldron surprised her. It wasn’t very big and made of a dark glass, making it hard to tell how full it might be. She didn’t want it near her. Gods knew what it might contain. Time dilated in Fleur’s perception, putting everything into slow motion. It happened when a pony fought for their lives, and it always felt like she had time to note all kinds of tiny details. The zebra had a short mane that was a disheveled mess at the moment, fresh from bed. Her coat was clean though. It glistened under the light coming from the third neckring down under her strong, pointed snout. She obviously maintained it well for a pony living in the middle of a forsaken forest. Her eyes sparkled a simply gorgeous shade of gold in the magical Sunlight too.

Those kinds of frozen moments seem to last an eternity, when really only a blink of the eye has passed. For bright second, Fleur thought she may have succeeded in throwing the cauldron and nailing the zebra. Then reality reasserted itself and the luck she often cursed laughed mockingly in her mind. The thick, grasping vines that were filling the room moved with enough speed to blur and leave after images as they flew to their summoner’s defense. The metal pot rang like a clock tower bell striking the hour as they caught it, tangled in a green thorny web, and halted its forward momentum. The other mare didn’t miss her opportunity either, rolling to the side and tossing the jar she held lazily in Fleur’s direction. It sailed to the floor a few feet from the unicorn, shattering and releasing a thick cloud of blue vapor.

The air rushed out of Fleur’s lungs as her size alteration spell extinguished itself and her body snapped back to its normal proportions. The change in mass and her awkward throw a moment before conspired to make the unicorn sprawl as she hit the ground with all the grace of a turnip crate. The mist coming up from the broken jar spread over her back legs; wherever it touched her, she felt intense cold. Fleur could hear the ice forming on her as thick plates it rubbed together and weighed her down. She tried pulling with her fore hooves, but that only moved her a few inches before she was fully locked in place.

Hmmph! Voilà pour le combat martial! Le temps de finir. Au revoir!” Fleur growled and lifted her right hoof, pointing it, and sighting down it towards the zebra. She twisted her wrist back and forth and her suit deformed as a small bulge shifted and a needle sharp barb of her own extended from a hidden slit in the leather suit’s foreleg. It was loaded into a spring rig that could be used in close combat or as a ranged device if she was desperate enough. It was crafted by a donkey blacksmith in Prance, so she knew just how much it kicked.

The blade was the same color of her coat with a pearlescent sheen. It was made from the tip of her own horn. She had broken it once as a foal during one of her early adventures in breaking and entering and kept the piece. She’d hit a table, running in the dark home of a pastry monger. The merchant was out of town, selling his wares, giving Fleur the opportunity to relieve him of some gains of his ventures. She could recall wondering why any sane pony would keep a grown alligator as a guard animal as it careened after her in a mad scramble on the kitchen’s tile floor. It cornered her there, shivering under the huge oak pastry rolling table, clutching the shard of her broken horn as she tried to blink blood out of her eyes.

She couldn’t remember the moment it actually happened. But she could remember the long gaze she got down the gator’s throat as it closed in and the odor, like an open sewer, that issued from it. She could recall the sound of those teeth coming together; throwing her hooves out in fear and the sudden spray of hot fresh blood on her face. The pain she expected never came though. When she found the strength to open her eyes, the guard gator lay dead before her. The broken piece of her horn was slicking out from the ruin of its upper jaw. She must have thrown it in fear, and the beast’s powerful bite did the rest. It was the first time Fleur killed. It was the last time she did that by accident. When she pulled out her horn blade, blood flowed.

The Zebrican witchdoctor regained her hooves from her wild roll, snarling something nasty sounding in her native tongue. Her eyes snapped up when she noticed the deadly blade at the end of Fleur’s leg. She opened her mouth again, but never got the chance to say any more as at that exact moment the hut’s single door exploded inwards, showering both mares in wood chips and splinters. A monstrosity of leaves and tree bark in pony shape filled the door’s former sovereign space and it took Fleur a moment to see the familiar lines of Fancypants instead of a random plant creature. His active camouflage spell was going haywire trying to blend with its surroundings. Moving quickly caused it to lag and display colors of the terrain already passed. Fancypants rushed across the room as the two mares stared, frozen with the shock of his sudden entrance. A powerful hoof smashed the ice holding Fleur down, and before she could even form a response, the tall stallion was yanking her to her hooves and shoving her towards the forest.

“The Everfree aids no pony!

Your monster is a phony!

Run; you won’t get far, no matter what you do!

Either the Forest or I will get you!

This affords you time only!”

Before the rhyme was complete they were outside in the dark again, trees flying by as Fancypants crashed through the underbrush without even the slightest attempt to cover their trail. Favoring speed over stealth, the unicorn led them away from the hut and the original clearing they had arrived in. They didn’t get far before the light from the witchdoctor ring started to bounce along behind them, making the shadows jump in front of the two.

Fancypants let the active camouflage spell drop as they ran and looked over his shoulder at Fleur as they crested a small rise. “Hang close. We’re leaving, and I’m not entirely sure of the footing where we’re going.” His voice was remarkably quiet and calm given the situation.

Fleur braced herself and pressed her form along Fanypants’ side and slid her goggles back on. She could hear the zebra getting closer and she was on their heels already. Then, quicker than a Pegasus flaps its wings, they were elsewhere. She was glad for Fancypants’ warning immediately. They appeared on a natural stone ledge that was bathed in gentle Moonlight and only just wide enough for the two of them to huddle together. On one side was a grey-white cliff face that reached up toward the heavens. The other side was open to the Night air, offering a majestic view of a huge and inky black forest. On the far side of that sea of trees, Fleur could make out a single bright speck of light coming from under the canopy.

“We aren’t sticking around. Stay close. I intend to lose her and any tracking spells she might have. Do you still have the potion?”

“Of course I still have it, you buffoon! After this, I’m not going to go along with your plans anymore! That was reckless and stupid! This had better be worth it, or so have me, I WILL castrate you!”

“It is worth it.” Fancypants shrugged as if the answer could be anything else, “Next stop, please pull out potion and the claw you retrieved from the gardens. I want to do this before we return to the estate.”

Fleur growled and narrowed her eyes behind the goggles, her magic reaching into her pocket for the potion and into her own personal extra-dimensional storage space. The tiny piece of stone there was chipped from the very statue of the imprisoned god, Discord. The royal guards were thankfully too fearful of the statue to have noticed the small piece she had snapped off before they apprehended her.

Now I shall finally find out what this is all about. I don’t care if you are in the Inner Circle, you pompous twit. If this actually does what I think it does, then those Princesses of yours will be the least of your concerns. Fleur eyed her two recent acquisitions as they floated before her, looking as normal as possible. If the Chaos can be harnessed, then it shall be I that wields it.

***

Twilight Sparkle’s Dreamscape

***

There was the most delicate sound of hooves as they lightly touched the tile floor. Luna looked up and lost vision as her face was buried in Twilight’s mane. The smell of parchment dust and old leather, lavender scented shampoo, magic and dragon scales filled her nose almost as much as the sudden rush of emotions filled her chest to bursting. Forehooves around her neck held her tight and more warmth than the body of a single unicorn should have any right to produce kept her afloat. It was so unlike the hugs she received from her sister. Those were sisterly and occasionally motherly hugs. This was different.

“Wha--?! T-twilight?”

Twilight’s embrace tightened as the unicorn murmured somewhere near Luna’s ear. “’Sometimes, all a sad pony needs to feel better is a heartfelt hug from a friend.’ I learned that from my friend Pinkie Pie. She can make anypony smile and feel better.”

Twilight pulled back, so Luna could see her face up close. She still had that warm, small smile that somehow put the Night Princess at ease. I should revise my thought about Twilight’s eyes. Pure mana wishes it was so beautiful. Where is my mind tonight? Why do I feel like this? Why should some pony affect me so? Is this what having a friend really feels like?

“We… are friends?” Luna blinked as her mind finally managed to process what Twilight had told her.

Twilight nodded. “We are friends, Luna. I have thought about being your friend since your return, and last Nightmare Night we made the first steps toward that. I’ve found in my studies that friendship can happen surprisingly quick. It can be triggered by small, inconsequential things. But once friendship finds you, it changes you. It puts a pony other than yourself into your heart and makes them important to you. You suddenly care about their thoughts and feelings and health, just like you care about yourself. I care about you, Luna. I don’t want you to be sad. And I don’t think you are a silly pony.”

Twilight released Luna from her hug, staying near for a moment before bopping her on the end of her snout with a soft hoof. Twilight stuck out her tongue playfully and hopped back onto her floating cushion. “I don’t care if you are using a magic that Celestia advised against. You aren’t hurting anypony. And I would love the opportunity to help you in any and all areas where you believe you have not acclimated. It’s the chance of a lifetime for me! And I love teaching almost as much as reading!” Luna continued to stare mutely at Twilight as the unicorn clapped her forehooves together and squealed like a filly.

Luna opened her mouth, a question fresh on her lips as Twilight pulled her scroll and quill closer to herself, when something brushed against her meta-presence. It was at once the oddest sensation Luna could recall every experiencing in its sheer alien-ness, and yet familiar. She didn’t know how anything could reach her mind here. It had all of her attention, and she cursed her luck.

“I’m sorry Twilight, but could you… hold that thought? Is that the right phrasing? I think somepony is trying to get my attention in the waking world.”

“Oh, okay. I can wait here, I guess. I’m honestly unsure of how the dream magic will keep all this going. But I’m sure you can do something about it.” Twilight shrugged. “And yes! That was the correct terminology!”

Luna spared her an apologetic smile and, carefully as she could, disentangled herself from the dream and hurled her mind back to her physical form in the Throne Room. Even as she did so, Luna kept hold of Twilight’s mind with her dream tendril, hoping the interruption was a quick one.

Twilight blinked as Luna exited the dream, leaving behind the copy of her body that she had inhabited. It looked just as it did a moment ago, with a small smile frozen on its lips, yet somehow it seemed completely different. She couldn’t put her hoof on it, but it felt like the Luna resting next to her was a hyper-realistic doll or statue.

“Okay, that’s just weird.” Twilight reflected that it was almost like Discord’s statue in the Royal Gardens, except that the body was flesh (so to speak), and seemed like stone instead of being stone and seeming alive. She wondered, off hoof, how long it would take Luna to return. Twilight turned her attention back to her notes scrawled across the blackboard.

“At least I can work some more on these until she returns.”

“Why wait for her, when I’m right here, my little librarian?”

Twilight snapped her gaze back to the pony across from her. The voice was undeniably Luna’s, but deeper and smokier than she had ever heard before. Whatever it was that now reclined with hooves crossed on the pillow, looked like a cross between the two Princesses. She had Luna’s colors, the same bright aqua eyes and star field mane and tail, but she was the size of Celestia with the same regal build and a large dark crown instead of Luna’s usual obsidian tiara. She smiled playfully and licked her lips in a way that made something inside Twilight tighten pleasurably.

“Oh come on! I already had a distracting dream tonight—isn’t one enough?!” Twilight frowned at the caricature in front of her. “The real Luna is a far better conversationalist than you anyway. Go back to… whatever part of my subconscious you crawled out of and tell my libido to knock it off. This is getting annoying.”

The ‘adult’ version of Luna shook her head slowly. “Tsk, tsk, tsk. No, not doing that. I need you…want you…need both of you. It will be good. Don’t fight it, Twilight. Feel the connection for what it is. We belong together, bonded like no other. The hour is late and fate waits for nopony.”

This version of Luna reached out and snagged Twilight’s pillow, yanking them together. The sudden move threw Twilight against Luna’s chest and toppled her onto her back so that the larger alicorn loomed over her. Looking up, Twilight had an uncomfortable flash of memory; Nightmare Moon standing over all of the gathered ponies of Ponyville just after capturing Princess Celestia. The only missing details were the Nightmare’s serpentine eyes and her cobalt armor. Her expression this time was somewhere between amused and lustful, rather than amused and cruel.

“Wha-what are y-you going to do?”

“Become whole.” Luna leaned down slowly, the tip of her long horn brushing Twilight’s own, sending shivers down the unicorn’s spine to pool low in her body where the hungry tightness was getting worse. “Give her all of yourself. It is the only way to save ourselves. Be her resolve. Be her guide when the stars abandon her. Be her truth.”

Luna rubbed their horns together again, causing a few sparks to fly off. She looked into Twilight’s eyes for a sweet, silent moment; then their lips met. Twilight gasped as she realized what was happening. She tried to hold her lips firm, ready to defend her chastity from this mockery, but she melted like early morning frost before the Dawn. She couldn’t form a clear thought as her tongue started to duel with the one invading her mouth.

I don’t… want this. I… want this. No! Luna… I want Luna! Luna, help!

***

Canterlot Castle: Throne Room

***

Luna snapped back into her own body and blinked, mouth opening to issue a demand for explanation of her disturbance. For a second, time hung heavy and stretched long. She could see ponies on the floor, slumped at desks or just toppled where they had stood. Even her Nightguard lay at the foot of the Throne, armor and weapons inactive. That sight alone would have chilled her blood. But in a true sense of overachievement, her bad luck painted one of the princess’ greatest nightmares on top of it.

Celestia, her sister and confidant, guide and handler, reared above her with one hoof planted on the back of the Throne, next to her head. The other hoof was rushing at her face while Celestia grinned like a fiend, eyes narrowed to bright pinpricks and foam dripped from her lips. Everything about her was wrong; Luna could feel it deep down where her goddess powers rested in her soul. She had no time to think about it.

Faster than any mortal pony would be capable, faster than the blink of an eye it would be compared too later, Luna flexed her might and turned the world inside out. Reality righted itself at light speed, and she flared her wings as she reappeared above and behind her sister. The hoof that Celestia had sent her way collided with the Throne, impaling it, and ripped the cushioned stone seat from its mooring. In times remembered by the princesses alone, it started as a spar of granite connected to the mountain before the Castle was built up around it. Luna gathered her power to bring up a shield. Whatever madness had taken her sister, she would not make the same mistake of attacking her as she had a thousand years ago.

Celestia didn’t turn her head, but her eye flicked to glare at Luna. She had just enough time to register the hatred there before her sister turned and threw the Throne that was still impaled on her hoof at her. It was a blur of movement that caught Luna by surprise with both its speed and strength. A ton of stone hit her full on at escape velocity speed and physics took over. The resulting impact with the wall and ceiling bled off enough of that force to keep Luna from being rocketed into orbit. Instead she came to a cobblestone powdering stop a few hundred feet away with most of the Throne and parts of the Castle on top of her.

What in all Creation is going on?! What the hay has possessed Tia? I can’t be THAT bad at running Night Court, can I?! Luna croaked, struggling for air in the courtyard’s newest crater. I have to get this off me and stop her before—Luna didn’t get to finish the thought as something slammed into the rubble above her, driving her another hoofspan into the earth.

One eye fluttered open and between the crumbling pieces of wall, she could see Celestia soar up and away. She climbed above the Castle into the Night sky, hovering before Luna’s moon for a moment. Celestia pointed her hooves down at Luna and with a single flap of powerful wings, split the Night with a sonic rainboom.

Screw the shield—RUN! The world turned on its ear and Luna fled that space an instant before her sister hit. She rejoined reality in the Gardens, shutting down her godhead, least Celestia track it. She dived under a hedge, gasping for breath. She needed to collect herself.

“By Tartarus! This could not get any worse!” Luna swallowed hard and quickly checked on Discord’s prison, regretting her choice of words. She slowly let out a breath as she sensed it to be just where they had left it, inert as ever.

HELP! LUNA!

Luna’s head snapped up, looking around for whoever called out to her. No pony was present that she could detect. After a moment the call repeated itself as a distant explosion sounded back in the courtyard. “Twilight? But where—how? I don’t see…” She gaped as it came again, in her mind. Her tendril, still connected to Twilight Sparkle’s dreaming mind in Ponyville. Her heart calmed somewhat, realizing that her friend wasn’t physically at the Castle and in danger. The psychic scream came again, louder this time, as another explosion came from the Courtyard and fresh rubble rained down on the Garden. Something was wrong in both the waking and dreaming worlds.

“Curse my luck!”

***

Author's Note:

Updated a few of the wonky formatting issues.