• Published 4th Feb 2012
  • 20,233 Views, 395 Comments

Spiders and Magic: Rise of Spider-Mane - Maximus_Reborn



Spider-Man is brought to Equestria for a second chance at life, but his luck may ruin his opportunity before it can truly begin.

  • ...
263
 395
 20,233

PreviousChapters Next
Homecoming, Part VII

Chapter Forty-Nine "Homecoming, Part VII"

Everypony in the room inhaled sharply, each recoiling as a searing pain rushed through the confines of their chests. Trixie slammed her eyes shut and clutched at her forehead, distorted images flashing through her mind. They were blurry, but clear enough to reveal a pony standing alone in a white void with his back to her.

Trixie found herself trapped in the void as well. She furrowed her brow and looked around aimlessly, before her gaze centered on the stallion in her path. It was Peter. Her eyes softened as they beheld his unkempt, chocolate brown mane. The masculine curve from the base of his skull to the end of his neck that defined his masculine physique, and the thick stallion muscles that Twilight must have adored to embrace.

A great weight lurched forward in her chest, and it felt like the air in her lungs had stopped flowing completely. She needed to reach out and touch him. As her hoof made its way forward, the image of Peter began to fade, eventually dissipating completely into the emptiness of the void.

Shaking her head, Trixie opened her eyes and cried out, "No! Come back!"

She panted in a struggle to regain her breath. Trixie was back in the library as if nothing had even transpired. Befuddlement filled her violet irises, and she realized that the other mares in the room were experiencing the same symptoms.

Derpy had collapsed onto the floor, her trembling hoof tight against her chest. The fillies, each out of breath, were wiping tears from their eyes. Even the newcomer, Zecora, was troubled as she leaned against a wall for support, a sharp pain in her chest making her cringe. Trixie's brow lowered. It was not a coincidence; she was sure the phenomenon that had brought them together was worsening.

Trixie shifted her gaze to the ceiling. "My stars! What is going on? It feels like a part of me is dying, but why do I keep seeing visions of Peter?"

Zecora's posture straightened as her breathing leveled. She trotted over to Derpy and placed her head under the mare's chin, straining to help her back to her hooves. "We all felt that pain deep in our heart, and there is no question that Peter plays a part." The zebra paused to help each filly get up from the ground, and when everypony was finally on their hooves, she raised a hoof high above her head and continued. "Peter has formed connections with us, each very dear, and now we can sense, his end drawing near. It is because his spirit has grown and spread throughout the world. Now, the Web of Life will soon be uncurled. Peter's life is tied to many events, and for the Web, we can consider ourselves segments."

An exasperated Trixie stomped forward until she was a mere hoof's length from Zecora, paying no mind that the zebra was a bit taller than herself. "Look, I don't understand what's going on, but don't say Peter is going to die! How could YOU possibly know what's going on?!"

Zecora, undeterred by Trixie's impulsiveness, calmly held her ground. "My spirit is connected to the world and those around me; that which you struggle to acknowledge, I can easily see. When I first met Peter, I sensed the truth, but it was difficult to believe without further proof. Our bond was formed when we saw each other last, when I quickly learned that he was a fellow outcast. Then, I came to understand the bond we shared, when I looked back and realized how much Peter cared." Placing her hoof over her chest, Zecora smiled. "That memory is special, one I adore, and I hope you can begin to understand the situation, at least a little more."


"She's so weird."

"I wish she would practice her voodoo somewhere else!"

"She's not a zebra, she's a witch!"

Those were just some of the mocking comments the citizens of Ponyville had, on occasion, made to Zecora in the past. They usually didn't bother the mare, though. Her visits to town were rare, and words were just words, after all. It's normal for the fearful ignorant to lash out at the things they don't understand.

Even while keeping a low profile, Zecora managed to make a decent number of friends, and she believed with time that the other ponies in town would open their hearts. Three years had passed since she moved into the Everfree Forest, and she was just as ostracized as before, with ponies staring at her with uncertainty, distrust, and fear.

Zecora exhaled, trotting through the streets of Ponyville with her gaze fixed on the ground. Her ears twitched at every hushed voice that murmured uncertainties, and her glare deepened for every stare shot in her direction. Zecora was not a vindictive individual by any means, exercising patience and restraint for the sake of common courtesy, but on that day, the mare was on her last nerve. Everypony's behavior had passed the point of being tedious and was approaching maddening. After the marketers almost refused to sell her fruits, Zecora only wanted to get away and return home.

The mare stopped in her tracks, gazing at the clear sky above. She would have her peace, but it would be lonely, something the zebra had also grown accustomed to. It made her miss her home, but hours of solitude gave her time to meditate, study, and broaden her understanding of the world. Yet, like anypony, company was something she longed for, and she almost always went without it. It was her choice, one she often debated on whether it was right or not. Pushing those thoughts to the back of her mind, Zecora nodded and readied herself to return home.

"Zecora!" a male's voice called from behind.

The mare turned to find the source, her eyes widening at the familiar sight of a light-brown stallion. He skidded to a halt, stopping a few hoof-lengths from Zecora, and despite being out of breath, he offered the mare a smile. Her eyes softened. This was the same pony who had saved her from a Hydra a number of weeks ago. The villagers called him Spider-Mane, but Zecora knew him better as Twilight Sparkle's eccentric yet kind roommate, Peter Pony Parker. Her smile formed to match his. She also considered him a friend.

Peter chuckled. "I've been trying to get your attention for a few minutes! At first, I actually thought you were ignoring me! Then I realized that sort of thing happens to me all the time. I was afraid something might have been wrong. This isn't a bad time, is it?"

Zecora shook her head. "I am sorry, Peter. I did not mean to be rude. It's just… I am in an unpleasant mood."

Grinning nervously, Peter nodded. "Yeah, I can tell. I don't think you smiled even once while you were at the market. You should smile more, you're cuter that way! You know what they say: it takes more muscles to frown than to smile." Zecora's steely facade evaporated. Her gaze widened, her ears perked straight up, and a light gasp escaped her mouth. A hotness grew in her cheeks, and fortunately for her, Peter was oblivious to it. His smile lingered. "Did you want to talk about anything? I still owe you for your help a while back. There's a diner on the other side of town, we could grab a bite while I still have a couple of bits to spare. Twilight sort of has this new roommate... her name's Trixie, and most of the spare bits have been going toward her. She's a bit high-maintenance; this might be the only chance I have to take you out."

Zecora furrowed her brow. She had heard from Twilight that her roommate was a bit of a chatterbox, but considering that conversations were difficult to come by, Zecora didn't mind. In fact, she grew fascinated with him, one who could talk to her so offhandedly.

She shook her head, her mind finally registering the stallion's request. He actually wanted to take her to lunch. Zecora blinked. The last time a stallion took her out was back in her home, and that was during her teen years, many moons ago. It was unusual, at least for the herbalist. Her brow lowered at a second thought. There were matters that concerned her as well about Peter's request.

Zecora glanced off to the side. "It has been quite some time since we have seen each other, and I revel at the chance to enjoy your company further." She paused, shifting her gaze to the village momentarily. "My appearance would surely cause a disturbance around us, and the last thing I want to do is cause a fuss." The corner of her lip curled, forming a ghost of a smile. "Otherwise, I would accept your request, but for now, I think my departure would be best."

Peter tilted his head to the side. "Your appearance? So what if you're different? Sure, you look different than most ponies, but I honestly find your appearance refreshing. You have an exotic look about you... I like it! Besides, I think tall mares are cute."

His words were honest, said without any hesitation. Zecora's mouth fell agape. Peter was truly unusual, but as she learned from that fateful night, the stallion was foolishly idealistic when it came to others. It was silly, yet charming. Zecora smiled, unaware that her cheeks were burning. Now she understood how Twilight Sparkle became so enamored with him. It would only be a matter of time before the unicorn would finally understand her hidden feelings for the stallion, but for now, Zecora enjoyed hearing Peter's words, as they were meant for her. It was… charming to hear a stallion be complimentary. Zecora was still a mare, after all.

Peter peeked back before raising his tail. "You won't be the only weird one. I'm a blank flank, remember? Even back at home, I had to deal with Jameson's false rumors and stuff." Placing his hoof over the mare's shoulder, the stallion grinned. "All I'm saying is that you can't let the negatives get you down. Focus on the positives! You're wise, tall, great with herbs, cute, and I hear you make fantastic tea." He quickly removed his hoof, chuckling nervously. "As far as I'm concerned, you're great. Now c'mon already! I'm starving, and I haven't eaten since breakfast."

For the first time since she left her hut that day, Zecora found herself smiling unconditionally. Peter turned and waved his hoof, motioning for the mare to follow. Zecora did as she was told, walking alongside the blissfully unaware stallion. Some ponies stared at the pair with confusion, yet for Zecora, their opinions no longer mattered. The entire world was empty, occupied only by Peter and herself. It wasn't lonely, and it was considerably warmer than the cold existence that Zecora had barely lingered in earlier. Peter knew what it was like to be an outcast, shunned unfairly by those around him, and Zecora leaned on that sense of understanding.

'Such gentle nature, I must say he is cute. That is something, I will never refute.'


"So you, too…" Trixie whispered, trailing off. She cleared her throat before lowering her head to Zecora. "I apologize for my outburst earlier. I had no idea Peter helped you as well. J-just make sure to knock next time! Doors were invented for a reason, you know!" After Zecora nodded in response, Trixie placed her hoof over her chest, cringing at the ache that continued to run through her heart. "I still don't quite understand. You said Peter is the Web of Life? I've never heard of such a thing."

"I was the shaman of my village, several years ago," explained Zecora, "but I was cast out when I detected a change in the world's spiritual flow. It is rumored that shamans can sense it according to our mythology, and it is true, thanks to my unique biology." The strength in her voice began to waver. She closed her eyes before her shame could become visibly evident. "I sensed that the Web of Life would change the landscape, so I ventured out to make my escape. Eventually, I found the town of Ponyville and a home in the Everfree. I feared my studies would fail, but they didn't, after a yearly count of three."

"The night the town was attacked by the dragon, I found the answer, and it was in the form of Peter, a dull-witted prancer. When first we met, I had to be a sleuth, so I gave him a drug to reveal the truth. It cleansed Peter's blood of the Hydra's poison, acting as an antidote, but little did he realize, it released a unique magical energy from his fur coat. Peter does not know of his earthly importance, because he is incredibly dense, but the Web of Life is connected to his mind: his sixth sense."

Trixie furrowed her brow. "You mean his spider sense?"

Applebloom stared at the adults with confusion in her eyes. "What does this have to do with us?"

Nodding, Zecora tapped her hoof over her chest. "We are of great importance to his life and have become strands in the Web Peter has created. Without us and the center, the Web cannot sustain life. It has been fated." The mare paused, taking time to exchange glances with everypony in the room. "Because of our connection, we share some of his pain, but it is up to the center of the Web to lighten this strain. Her magic has brought him here, and now their spirits are one. Now it is up to her, to make sure this day is won."

Derpy tilted her head to the side. "How… do you know all of this?"

Zecora glanced away. "I was informed telepathically, by one so wise. Her name was Madame Web, and she begged me to ensure Peter never dies."

Trixie raised a brow. "I have no idea who this Madame Web is, but you're making a little more sense now. We have become a part of this 'Web', and Peter is the cause. It must be a form of magic, and it must be immensely powerful to have affected all of us… but that can't be right!" The mare frowned. "I've seen Peter's magical capabilities, they're laughable at best. I doubt he even realizes what he's doing." As if a thought had just occurred to her, Trixie tilted her head to the side. "Wait. Logically speaking, if we, his friends, are the strands in the Web, the center would have to be the most important pony in Peter's life. You said her magic brought Parker here, right? That means..." Her eyes shot open. "Twilight Sparkle! It must be her somehow!"

Derpy trotted over, hesitantly raising a hoof. "I'm more worried about the pain. It keeps getting worse. My heart wanted tobreaka second ago. Then, I saw an image of Peter standing in a blank void. I kept calling out to him, but—"

Trixie finished the sentence, "He didn't respond." Derpy and Zecora nodded as their gazes fell to the side. Trixie placed her hoof over her mouth. "I don't like this. It feels like something horrible is going to happen. We have to do something, I'm just not sure what."

A rough, feminine voice chirped from above, "Well, that's a relief. I was afraid I was going crazy."

Everypony began to direct their gazes skyward, where a pegasus stood perched on the opened window railing. Brushing a hoof through her fiery orange mane, the mare hopped inside and landed gracefully a few hoof-lengths from the fillies. She pulled her violet shades behind her ears, revealing a pair of warm, orange irises. The pegasus shot everypony near her position a questioning glare.

"Can somepony tell me why Parker is on my mind, and…" she hesitated, groaning as she held a hoof over her chest. "Why does it feel like he's dying, and how amIfeeling it?"

Ignoring the squeals of the Crusaders, particularly those of Scootaloo, Trixie shared eye contact with the pegasus. "Spitfire of the Wonderbolts. This day grows more complicated by the hour." The unicorn tapped her hoof against the floor before she nodded. "We must go to Canterlot. Perhaps Twilight Sparkle and Peter are still there. Maybe Princess Celestia can help us better understand the situation." Everypony nodded. Spitfire folded her hooves across her chest. Trixie sighed. "I'm not sure how much more of this I can take."


"Lyra! Please! Control yourself! The doctor said three more weeks!" Octavia reached out, cringing with every motion her friend made.

Lyra ripped the cast from her neck and hoof, trotting over to the desk on the other side of the room. "There's no time! I have to go!" She rummaged through her supplies, nodding feverishly once the book was within her grasp.

The unicorn prepared to depart, but Octavia jumped in her path, blocking the door. "What has come over you all of a sudden? You've been in a lot of pain today, and now you're trying to run out of the door?! I've had it up to here with this obsession of yours! As your friend, I amorderingyou to—!" Octavia's words fell into her throat once Lyra slammed her eyes shut and clutched at her chest. Concern filled the mare's violet orbs. "There it is again! You can't expect me to let you go when you're in this type of condition!"

Shaking her head, Lyra pushed her way through and knocked Octavia to the ground. "Sorry, but I can't just stand around! Don't wait up, I'm going to Canterlot!" Before Octavia could respond or get up, Lyra was off at an impressive gallop. Her knapsack flew off in the heat of it all, forcing the unicorn to skid to a halt and use her magic to retrieve the belonging. Once the straps were tightened around her neck and shoulders, she sped up once more. "I know how to save him! The answer's in the book! I have to tell Princess Celestia!"

Octavia exhaled, whimpering under her breath. "I'll never forgive myself if I let her go alone." Forcing herself to her hooves, the mare quickly pursued her friend. "At least promise me you won't bombard the castle!" A sharp pain bolted through her chest, causing Octavia to recoil sharply, but she maintained her pace, managing to catch up with Lyra. "Why doesmychest hurt all of a sudden?"


Twenty-eight days remain until the portal closes...

Spider-Man's senses cleared, freeing the young man from his trance, and his masked eyes shot open, Sunset Shimmer just inches away ready to snuff his life out like a useless flame. Her fist glowed before she slammed it forward, generating fissures across the air. The cracks spread, forming along the walls of the buildings, but Spider-Man managed to duck underneath the first wave that came near. He leaped over the second, and a shockwave erupted from the center of the attack, forcing Spider-Man to fire a strand of webbing across the street and yank himself just outside of the blast radius. The walls of the buildings disintegrated, and the entire structure collapsed around Shimmer.

The force of the explosion blew the hero off balance, but with his superhuman dexterity he easily managed to land perfectly on his feet after a few mid-air twirls. Shimmer screeched at the top of her lungs, the vibrations from her voice causing all glass within the vicinity to shatter. She took a step forward, but a bolt of energy soared past Spider-Man, narrowly missing his head, and slammed into her gut instead, sending her body careening for several yards before it smashed through the wall of a nearby building.

Luna landed gracefully next to Spider-Man, with her gleaming hand aimed in the direction Shimmer had been blasted. Spider-Man prepared to lower himself into a defensive stance, but a loud popping sound from his side and an immense throng of pain caused his hand to clutch at his ribs instead.

"Are you all right?" Luna questioned, her narrowed eyes still centered towards Sunset's direction.

Shaking his head, Peter groaned. "Oh, I'll be okay. I think Batgirl just rebroke my ribs; no big deal!"

Luna scoffed, leering at the hunched-over hero from the corner of her eye. Even in the most dire of situations, it was evident which wisecracker was behind the mask. Before the princess could respond, however, Shimmer teleported behind her with claws reared back. Peter swayed in front of the would-be sneak attacker and drove a shoulder into her collarbone. She shrugged off the attack, following it up with a second slash attempt, but Spider-Man dove forward and wrapped his arms around Luna's body, lowering them just inches beneath Shimmer's claws. Throwing his hand on the ground, Peter pushed himself back to a vertical position, swung Luna to her feet, and countered with a wide kick.

The back of his heel collided with Shimmer's jaw, spinning her around completely. Spider-Man lunged forward, uppercutting Shimmer high into the air. Luna vanished from her position and reappeared directly above Shimmer, driving her elbow against the back of the girl's skull. Spider-Man tackled her in midair, throwing her body back to his partner, and Luna held out her hands, firing a beam directly into Sunset's chest. Shimmer bounced off the ground and cracked the pavement, rolling back to her feet, but the second she managed to stop her momentum, Spider-Man and Luna, side-by-side, hammered their fists into her wide-open forehead. Her body flew back, wiggling like a wet noodle, smashing into the door of a nearby automobile and leaving a human-sized dent in the metal.

Luna extended her hand before clenching it into a fist. Before Shimmer could free her embedded frame from the car, thunder roared across the sky. A large bolt of lightning crashed down from the heavens like a cannon blast, shredding the automobile into a million slivers of metal until an explosion of smoke and ash erupted.

Spider-Man threw his arm over his face, bracing himself from the explosion. "Luna! We're trying tosaveher, not reduce her to a smoldering heap!" When the flames surrounding the debris died down and the sky began to clear, the erect form of Shimmer was standing before the pair, crackling all over like a broken generator and shrieking defiantly. Her skin was singed, but she paid her injuries no mind. Spider-Man moaned, his hand running over his side. "Okay. Never mind. This isn't good. How? She wasn't nearly this strong when Twilight fought her a few days ago!"

Luna's brow lowered. "Chaos is a powerful element, my friend. Osborn has enhanced her strength, but…" she trailed off, shaking her head. "I can sense Sunset Shimmer's thoughts. She's crying out in pain. Her body is fighting us, devoid of a mind, ignoring her limitations. If Sunset Shimmer continues to fight us like this, I fear she'll overexert herself for the worst."

Spider-Man nodded. "That's probably Osborn's intention. He doesn'twantShimmer to come back." A low growl escaped from his mouth. "That sick… he wants Shimmer to kill herself getting to us. We have to stop her, now!"

A massive surge of energy rushed out from Shimmer, enveloping every vehicle in the area. Cars and trucks began to hover above the ground as the maniacal Shimmer began to laugh, the sound now resembling the Green Goblin's cackling. The girl threw her hands forward, in turn thrusting all of the vehicles in Princess Luna's and Spider-Man's direction. In defense, Luna, her eyes burning bright, brought her own arms forward and countered with her own wave of energy. Suddenly, the automobiles stopped mid-flight yet maintained their hovering positions. Shimmer snarled and pushed her claws forward. The vehicles proceeded to continue their flight, albeit with great resistance. Luna gritted her teeth, straining as a vein throbbed over her temple.

Spider-Man leapt from Luna's side, landing on the hood of one of the airborne cars. Shooting a strand of webbing onto the underside of a nearby truck, he swung through the air before flipping from one car hood to the next. High above Shimmer's position, Spider-Man released his webbing and dove into a free fall. He landed on his feet and spun around, throwing a kick into her stomach. The air rushed out of her mouth, but before he could follow through with his second attack, the villainess waved her hand, generating a shockwave around her body. The force of the blast shattered the surrounding stone of the street and twisted the steel of the automobiles. Unable to brace himself, Peter was sent spiraling several yards backwards until he slammed through a concrete wall and skidded to a halt.


The strength in Rarity's limbs left her body, leaving the rest of her to collapse. Fluttershy's eyes widened, but before she could reach out to her friend, all of the blood in her body rushed to her head, forcing the pegasus to throw her hoof over her eyes. Rainbow flew above everypony, only to crash on the back of her head, yet despite the landing, she threw her hooves over her midsection. Applejack gritted her teeth. Her oxygen was thin, and the ache in her chest worsened. Pinkie Pie's tail twitched before her poofy mane deflated and fell over her shoulders. Spectators stopped in their tracks, furrowing their brows at the group's simultaneous collapse.

Rarity whimpered. "Not again. Why does this keep happening?"

Applejack shook her head, pointing her hoof at the castle on the horizon. "Ah don't know, but we're close to Princess Celestia. She'll know what's going on."

Rainbow Dash rolled from the ground, exasperated. "This is getting annoying! Every time this happens, I think about Parker! I think I even saw an image of him a second ago!"

Fluttershy held her hoof over her chest as a saddened expression filled her eyes. "You saw it, too? Um… I'm worried. Do you think something's wrong with Peter?"

Pinkie Pie turned to face her friends, desolation plaguing her usually vibrant features. "We need to hurry. I… I don't like this feeling."


Spider-Man remained prone against the ground. Wailing like a banshee, Shimmer thrust her arms forward with renewed vigor. A spark ignited, knocking Luna off balance. The vehicles resumed flight, speeding towards the princess with high velocity while she struggled to gather her bearings. Before the cars could crush Luna, Twilight appeared in front of the woman in a flash of light. The young mage waved her hand, sending out a spiral of violet energy until a magical field formed around the pair. All of the vehicles sped into the shield, but instead of exploding on impact, they all phased through the energy and transformed into stuffed toys before harmlessly falling to the ground.

"I appreciate your assistance, Twilight Sparkle. Although…" Luna rose her brow, pausing once her foot stepped on one of the toys and earned a high-pitched squeak. "I question your choice of defensive spells."

Twilight glanced at Luna from the corner of her eye, giggling sheepishly. "It's last minute. Sorry!" Her eyes widened at a thought. "Where's Spider-Man?"

Luna frowned. "He is injured, but within our proximity." She held her arm out, keeping Twilight in place. "Stay the course! Do not lose focus!"

Shimmer bore her fangs and hissed at Twilight before spreading her wings and taking flight. However, a shadow darkened her vision and she looked up quickly in reflex. The source of the shadow, with scaled wings outstretched, its silhouette concealed by the glare of the sun, wasted no time with pleasantries. It reared its draconic cranium back and charged at Shimmer, using the force of its body like a battering ram to carry the she-devil backward. As they approached the ground, the dragon pulled up to a safe landing, letting Shimmer continue to soar until she collided with the pavement below, forming a crater in the process. A cloud of pebbles and broken cement rose from the impact, and tremors rumbled through the ground.

Twilight and Luna, finally realizing that their newest ally was none other than Spike, rushed to the dragon's side. He certainly wasn't in the best condition to be fighting, but the help was sorely needed, and seeing his grin again helped calm Twilight's nerves in spite of the situation.

Shimmer crawled out from her hole, snarling and driven mad with anger, forcing the trio to resume their defensive positions. Her breathing was harsh, like glass scratching against a rough surface. She raised her hands, allowing magical energy from the air to fill them. Vibrations snaked their way through the streets, causing several buildings to shake in response, and the sky darkened, allowing only a few rays of light to shine through the clouds. Shimmer's hand clenched into a fist before she slammed it into the ground. Suddenly, the surrounding buildings crumbled, their foundations giving away as if a great weight were crushing them. Steel beams bent downward, succumbing to the drastic increase of gravity instantly.

Twilight's mouth fell agape. "By the stars!"

The wave sped towards them, and Luna eyes shot open. "Twilight Sparkle! To me!"

Twilight and Luna raised their hands skyward, creating a violet and blue shield large enough to cover Spike and their immediate area. The force came down, and buildings crumbled before the gravity's might. Twilight's arms shook, but the mage held her ground, letting only the odd grunt betray her determination. A second wave crashed down, slamming into the shield with enough power to push it into the ground. A crack formed, spreading as a third wave struck the surface.

Luna gritted her teeth, recoiling with every strike the shield absorbed. Shimmer raised her fist, prepared to repeat her action, but a ball of webbing struck her hand and expanded upon impact, covering her entire arm. More of the sticky substance soared through the air, connecting with Shimmer's other hand and arm. The sky suddenly cleared, as if nothing had transpired, and Twilight fell to a knee, panting to regain her breath as the shield lowered. Shimmer directed her glare in the direction of her attacker, spotting Spider-Man with one hand extended and the other placed over his side. Foam escaped from the corner of her mouth before she released a soul-wrenching screech.

Peter shook his head. "It's over. There's nothing else you can do," he commanded, just a hint of pity behind the words.

Spider-Man swallowed before walking forward, closing the gap between himself and Shimmer. She extended her hands, aiming them at Spider-Man. They began to glow, filling with energy, but the light dissipated, fading before anything could be done. Shimmer growled, staring at her hands irritably. Their light grew bright, only to dim, and Shimmer grew more furious, hissing at the gossamer. Extending his hands, Spider-Man unleashed a barrage of webbing on the woman until her entire upper body, apart from her head, was bound. Shimmer howled, attempting to break the webbing, but her struggle proved fruitless as the gossamer emitted a light, her magic seeping deep into the strands. Like a relentless, caged animal she tossed and turned in a desperate attempt to find her freedom.

Spider-Man fell to a knee, wheezing. "Try as much as you want, but you won't be breaking that, not without a clear head or super strength. That webbing is made from the crystals in the Canterlot catacombs. They're made of an element that cancels out magic: your entire source of power. Unless you can use the precise frequency of magical vibrations, you'll never break free." Groaning, Peter rolled over to the side, his breathing deepening. "At least for another thirty minutes…" he whispered to himself.

Luna appeared before Shimmer in a flash of light, placing her index finger against the girl's forehead. The princess furrowed her brow before her pupils vanished behind a bright light. Magic poured from Luna and rushed into Shimmer, causing the latter female to scream in a terrible pain as every fiber and every muscle in her body shook violently. The color in her eyes returned to a shade of blue before her body exploded in a burst of energy.

Despite the shockwave, Luna remained still with her finger in place, and Twilight sprinted over to Spider-Man's position, crying out as she reached down to him. The light diminished, revealing that Shimmer's skin was fair, no longer a deep shade of crimson, and her bat-like wings were gone, having returned into her back. Shimmer stared at Luna with a glazed over expression before her irises rolled into the back of her head and she collapsed onto her back. Spike slowly limped over to join the others.

"Osborn's corruption has been cleansed. Sunset Shimmer should recuperate in time," Luna declared, shifting her gaze to the gossamer which continued to hold the girl, before turning to face Spider-Man. "It's ingenious. I'm amazed you managed to create something like this after your duel with my sister."

No response was given, save an incoherent one. Spider-Man coughed roughly, and traces of blood escaped from the mouth region of his mask. "I think I'm bleeding internally," he wheezed, his breathing strained. He managed to chuckle, as well as cough up more blood. "I can't tell you how hard it was to… process those crystals without nullifying their effects." He coughed once more, groaning as the puddle of blood on the ground began to thicken and a loud popping sound escaped from his midsection. "Okay. No question. Iambleeding internally. Imightneed a doctor."

Twilight shook her head, holding her trembling hands over Peter's body. "Will youstop talking?! You're not helping yourself right now!" Biting down on her lip, she faced Princess Luna. "We need to return to Doctor Strange's Sanctum." Sirens echoed throughout the air, and they steadily grew louder, approaching their area. "Now."

"Indeed," Luna replied, holding her hand high over her head. In a flash of light, everyone vanished. However, no one had noticed the photographer before they departed, who held several pictures of Spider-Man in his grasp.


Twenty-seven days remain until the portal closes…

Peter stared blankly at the ceiling, his brow twitching involuntarily. "You know this is thethirdtime I've been hospitalized since I met you, Twilight? Man. Remind me to apply for life insurance when we get back to Equestria." The SHIELD medic paid no mind to the young man's commentary as he continued with his procedure. Peter grimaced once the needle pierced his skin and bit his lip as the serum entered his bloodstream. Resting his head against the pillow, the young man groaned, but his lips curled into a smile once Twilight sat by his bedside, taking a hold of his hand. "Will I get hazard pay for this? If so, I'll take a kiss and a cookie."

Twilight smiled, giving her lover a soft kiss before retaking her seat. "We still have cheesecake."

Logan folded his arms, smirking. "Sorry we weren't there to help you out, kid. Mandarin kept us busy while you tore the city a new one." He placed his hand over Twilight's shoulder, keeping his gaze centered on Peter. "I'm impressed with yer' girlfriend, Parker. That's twice you two entered a fight, and she came out in better shape. It's clear she's the brains of yer' relationship."

Peter rolled his eyes. "You smell like a wet dog."

'Snikt!'Logan's claws were inches from Peter's nose. "Yer' already bleeding on the inside. Don't make me gut you."

Twilight shook her head. "Go easy on him, Mister Logan. It's my fault Peter's here. He hadn't finished recovering from his fight with the Hulk. His ribs were bruised, now they're broken,andhe's bleeding internally." Sighing, the girl nodded. "With Princess Luna here, she can assist in his recovery, but Peter can't do anything stressful for at least a week. Otherwise, he'll puncture a lung or something vital."

"No way!" Peter shifted in his seat, but a sharp pain ceased his movement, keeping the young man stationary. "We saw what Shimmer was able to do... what's stopping Osborn from giving those powers to someone else? I can't just sit back while that psycho's still out there with an army."

"That's what we're here for, Spider-Man," Fury declared, frowning. His one good eye scanned through the notes on the clipboard that the doctor left. "It says here that you can barely breathe, let alone fight. My advice?" He pointed his thumb toward Twilight. "Listen to your woman and stay put. Since we're setting up a base here at the Sanctum Sanctorum, we'll be able to react to the Goblin's Masters of Evil." Peter hesitantly shrugged, surrendering to the SHIELD director. Afterward, Fury maintained eye-contact with Twilight. "Speaking of which, where's Sunset Shimmer?"

Twilight leaned against the bed, resting her chin in the palm of her hand. "She's in confinement right now. Princess Luna already sent Princess Celestia a letter to make sure that a cell is ready for Sunset. They plan to speak with her in Equestria to make sure that all of Osborn's influence is removed in a couple of days. Depending on Princess Luna's and Princess Celestia's decision, Sunset Shimmer may or may not return to Earth. For now, Princess Luna wants to tend to your injuries as much as she can before temporarily departing. Plus, it gives Princess Celestia time to receive the letter and make preparations."

Peter cupped his chin in his hand. "It sounds like Shimmer's about to stand trial."

Twilight sat up straight in her chair. "You could say that. Sunset Shimmerdidcommit a number of crimes: stealing a royal artifact and aiding an entity of evil being a couple. It also doesn't help that she freed Sombra. I guess Princess Celestia and Princess Luna have to determine how many of Shimmer's decisions were made on her own. It's a precaution. If we let her join us, at least we can have some faith that she won't betray us. I certainly hope they're lenient towards her. From what I gathered last night, Sunsetiswilling to cooperate with us. She mentioned something about Oscorp, but we'll have to wait before we can confirm anything."

Fury nodded. "All right. We'll leave that to you. In the meantime, my team has to investigate an incident in Wakanda. Logan!" He walked over to the shorter man. "You're on standby. Get the team together and tell them to head out in ten."

Logan huffed, walking past the SHIELD director. "Whatever." He stopped in his tracks, giving Twilight a friendly smirk. "I'll be back. If Parker annoys you, punch him in the gut."

After Wolverine made his way out of the room, the doctor and Fury followed, leaving Twilight and Peter alone. The young man tugged at his hospital gown, bemused. "Well, this will be a boring week. How's Spike holding up?"

Twilight stood from her seat before taking Peter's Spider-Man costume from the foot of the bed. "His hide's incredibly thick. Aside from some soreness, he's okay." She reached the door, pausing to give her lover a warm smile. "I'm going to clean your costume. Once your aunt's finished cooking, I'll be back. Someone has to make sure you take your medication."

The girl closed the door behind her and made her way through the halls of Stephen's home. The journey was brief, but she reached the lobby downstairs quickly. Her computer sat open on the table. Twilight exhaled. So much had happened since they had returned to base yesterday. It was careless, leaving such a gift unattended to. The last thing she wanted to do was lose her personal, digital library. Twilight threw Peter's costume over her shoulder before closing her computer and taking it into her possession.

"Spider-Man is a crook and a menace to our society!"

Twilight's eyes shot open as she turned to face the television.

"Yesterday around three P.M., witnesses saw Spider-Man leading an attack in the city according to the Daily Bugle's editor-in-chief, James Jonah Jameson. While there are no casualties to report, over 3.5 billion dollars of damage was dealt to our fair city."

Shaking her head, Twilight gripped a strand of her hair in disbelief. "No. You better not…"

The image on the screen changed, revealing an older man. His name was displayed under his face, and Twilight scowled at the words of 'James Jonah Jameson'. He pointed at the camera, nodding.

"Four years. It has been four years since we've seen that wall-crawling freak. He comes back, and he puts our city in danger. If you see Spider-Man, report to the police, so we can finally see that vigilante brought to justice!"

A bolt of energy pierced the television screen, engulfing the flat box in a puff of smoke, and the magical glow in Twilight's hand dissipated. "I don't believe this!" she scoffed, slamming her fist into the table. "Four years, and he's still muttering the same nonsense!" She paced across the room, glaring intently at the ground, but Twilight stopped, her eyes widening at a thought. "I won't stand for this. Not any longer." Twilight opened her computer. "JARVIS. There's something I want to do, but I need help working through the process. Can you help me?"

The computer buzzed to life. "Yes, Miss Twilight. I am here to assist you. What seems to be the problem?"

Twilight explained her plan in great detail. After a few moments, she stared intently at her computer. "Can we make this work, JARVIS?"

"Yes, Miss Twilight. You have the resources. It's easily possible. I shall go over the contingencies."

Sighing, Twilight smiled. "Thank you, JARVIS. What's the first thing we need to do?" Back upstairs, Peter and Logan shared a drink, one drinking a glass of milk while the other chugged down a can of beer. A bright light erupted near their position, causing Logan to accidentally crush his can. Peter nonchalantly finished his beverage, smiling once Twilight came into view. She leaned over his body, a pleading expression in her violet eyes. "Peter, could I borrow… ninety-eight million dollars?"

Logan snorted involuntarily, and Peter's brow arched, disappearing behind his unkempt hair. The request was simple yet outlandishly outrageous, but Logan's jaw dropped when Peter nodded.

"Sure. You know where my card is. Don't forget the PIN. If you need anything else, just ask JARVIS," he stated, earning a kiss on the cheek before Twilight vanished in a flash of light.

After a few moments, Logan slapped his hand over his forehead. "Okay, bub. I know yer' rich now, but that's a lot of money you just loaned. What the heck is she planning to do?"

Shrugging, Peter stretched his arms high over his head. "Knowing Twilight? Probably not much. I bet she's going to Stark Towers to buy upgrades for her JARVIS or something." Logan raised his brow, earning a scoff from Peter in return. "Come on. What's the worst that could happen?"


Several hours had passed. Peter groaned at the images on the television screen, and he continuously pecked the buttons on his remote, changing the channel every few seconds. "This bites. You'd think the Sorcerer Supreme would have something better than basic cable. I can't even get the scores of the games, and I refuse to watch TMZ. That show rots the mind and soul, but the same thing can be said about daytime television."

"Breaking news! The Daily Bugle has-!"

Peter's eyes widened. "What the…?" He returned the channel to the broadcast, but he dropped the remote, slack-jawed at the sight of Twilight. She sat behind a desk, reading a newspaper with a coy grin on her face.

"Repeat! The Daily Bugle has been bought out and is under new management! Now let's hand it over to the new owner of the company: Tara Sparkle."

Peter's hand met his forehead with smack. "You didn't change your last name? What were you thinking? With a last name like that, folks will think you were raised by hippies. Your multi-colored hair is already enough for them to assume that."

The image on the screen faded and revealed a new one. Twilight waved to the crowd, flashes from the cameras never ceasing. "Thank you! For quite some time now, the Daily Bugle has been the city's source of news, but poor management and directing led to the financial collapse of this company. I vow to rebuild the Bugle from the ground up, and I will start by erasing every falsehood labeled under Spider-Man's name. This is a day of change! Spider-Man was never a criminal, and I shall show everyone that he is a hero! Unlike the former editor-in-chief, I will remain professional and honest." She stepped down from the podium, waving off the crowd. "Thank you."

As the crowd went wild, Peter lowered his head and sighed. "Aw, applesauce…"


Twenty-six days remain until the portal closes…

Within the walls of the Daily Bugle, Twilight sat behind her desk, the entirety of her attention centered on the newspaper in her hand. In bold print, the headline read 'Daily Bugle Under New Management', and the girl's smile widened at the article. She placed the paper down, turning her sights to her computer. She reached behind the device and retrieved an earpiece. Once it was in place, Twilight stood from her seat, folded her arms, and walked over to the window, peeking down on the city beneath her.

"Thanks again for creating a believable alias for me, JARVIS. Has everything been taken care of with the finances?" she questioned, tapping the device over her ear.

"My pleasure, Miss Twilight. The debts have been paid, and you own one-hundred percent of the company."

Her lips curled into a coy smirk. "Good. Now let's get started! Call for our staff and send them to my office. It's high time I meet everyone. Even Jameson," her brow lowered, "Oh. Make sure you send those petitions out before the hour's done. I want everyone who has ever been saved or helped by Spider-Man to come to the Bugle and tell their side of the story, whether they live in the city or the other side of the world. We should have phone calls throughout the day. Have the staff answer each call, and if we're flooded, clear the lines but call everyone back.No onewill be turned away. Is that clear? If they aren't within the city, cover their travel expenses."

"Yes, Miss Twilight."

Nodding, Twilight turned and took her seat, placing her elbows against the desk. "This has gone on long enough. I swear. I'll make sure everyone sees Spider-Man the way I do. He's always been undermined. It's time I change that." The door swung open, and Jameson stomped in, fuming as he gritted his teeth. Twilight rolled her eyes and exhaled, her glare matching the older man's. "...and that's starting with you. Jonah..."


Peter stared at the ceiling with a look of uncertainty in his eyes. Luna sat by his bedside, hovering her glowing hand over his shirtless abdomen. The young man attempted to move, but he sharply recoiled, leaning back into his pillow. The news report of last night remained on the television, finding its way to most of the available channels. An exasperated groan escaped from Peter's mouth before he threw his hands up in frustration, and Luna closed her eyes, sighing once the young man cringed and paid mind to his injuries.

"I cannot properly heal you if you continue to squirm. Try to relax, or I will make you," she murmured, a hint of warning found in her voice.

Peter folded his arms and frowned. "Your bedside manner sucks. Most nurses are pretty and at leasttryto smile around their patients." Luna arched a brow, her frown intact. Peter shrugged, groaning. "Well, one out of two ain't bad. Would it kill you to smile?" If one looked closely, they might have spotted the pink blush in Luna's cheeks. Peter did, evident by his knowing grin. The woman paused, raising her hand. A trail of electricity sparked from her fingertip, and the mild alarm in the back of Peter's head indicated this was not an empty threat. He sighed, bemused. "Sheesh. We have to work on your sense of humor. You still make it seem like you hate me at times."

"I do not hate you in the least, my friend. I can honestly declare you are very dear to me," she replied, her voice softer than usual. Inhaling deeply, Luna brought her free hand alongside her glowing one. Both hands began to emit a light before the energy surrounding them flowed into Peter's body, particularly the area beneath his chest and above his stomach. She turned, giving the young man a sympathetic smile. "Your injuries are far worse than you realize. I simply do not want you to aggravate them." This seemed to calm Peter, as he eased into her magical touch. Luna furrowed her brow, noticing that the young man's glare was fixed on the box called a 'television'. "You seem disturbed. Is it over Twilight Sparkle's recent endeavor?"

Peter opened his mouth, only for a yawn to escape before any words could be formed. "Yeah. I don't get it. Why buy the Daily Bugle? What does Twilight have to gain from it? She wouldn't even talk about it last night. Heck, she barely said awordto me this morning! I'm just frustrated, I guess." He closed his eyes, the realms of sleep reaching out to him. Peter shared a glance with Luna, who returned his gaze out of the corner of her eye. "I just hope she doesn't go overboard."

Luna smiled. "Twilight Sparkle is my sister's apprentice. I am certain she will remain calm and exercise good judgment."


Twilight pointed at the older man across from her position. "Jameson, you're fired."

PreviousChapters Next