• Published 30th Mar 2013
  • 20,314 Views, 1,117 Comments

Souls Apart - GnollReader



Two enemies wind up in Equestria due to a major mishap. Will they come to terms with this world? Most importantly, will they be able to put their old feud aside to survive?

  • ...
31
 1,117
 20,314

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 42: The demon parade

"You there!" the paladin shouted to the back as she waved her sword around, "Swing those flags faster! I can still see them too clearly! Put your back into it!"

The kraken renewed his efforts, furiously swinging the flags in its tentacles, occasionally throwing all eight of them in the air to catch them again as the ponies applauded the act.

Calindria gave a grim nod of approval and turned her attention to the skeleton orchestra, "Enough of the graveyard music! Play us the song of your people!"

"This is the song of our people!" a skeleton playing a wooden piano replied as he was carried along.

"Who made her boss anyway? I say we get some dibs on the fleshy ones!" a skeleton with a violin whispered to one of its companions as they marched and played, eying the town ponies from empty eye sockets with hunger.

"Aergad made her boss." the other skeleton replied while it played on its own ribcage with a matching set of bones, "He also said not to munch the locals."

"Ah, man... not even a taste?"

"Nope."

"I'm still hearing graveyard music!" the paladin hollered at the front, "Play something snappy before I drum it myself on your empty skulls!"

"The nerve of some people..." the lead skeleton sighed before addressing his band, "Alright, you heard her! Let's give 'em what they want! Trumpets, violins, flutes and cymbals! Everyone!" the skeletons did a short salute and readied their instruments, "CanCan!"

The ponies were dubious at first, but then a small sound reached them. What started as a short, small tune quickly grew in volume and speed as violins and trumpets joined the song and played in perfect unison... while the lead skeleton played the triangle, "Yes! That's it! Make Jacques proud, boys! HaHaHa!"

As the orchestra continued to play countless imps danced around them, colorful costumes and grotesque masks turning into a blur of color as the ponies continued to watch in wonder and marvel.

And as the parade marched on, demons juggled laughing and singing skulls and a huge ogre threw out candy to the cheering ponies, Calindria couldn't help but wonder how the necromancer was doing with his dare.

At least until the kraken decided to use her as a flag.

---

"Don't be ridiculous, Luna!" Aergad laughed as he chased after her, "It will only take a minute! I'm sure Celestia won't mind at all!"

"Leave me in peace!" Luna shouted as she ran, "I refuse to be a part of this insanity!"

There was a small flash from the back and the necromancer reappeared next to her, "You know..." he smiled as she watched her surprised face, "I do like it when they make me work for it."

"I don't!" she shouted and charged up her magic, a blue bolt spouting from her horn and towards his face... only for him to catch it out of the air with a small laugh, "Still powerful... but still not very wise." he chuckled and pouted his lips, "Now give me some sugar!"

The necromancer made a jump for her, but Luna disappeared in a flash of light before he could reach her, "Ahh... no fair!" he laughed as searched his surroundings, "Now where would a deity of the moon hide?" Aergad tilted his head slightly and took a look through one of the windows and at the sky... searching for the moon, "Naahhh... too obvious."

"Shouldn't you stop it?" Xhergis poked her head out of his pocket, "I don't think princess Celestia will be happy once she recovers... not to mention what queen Chrysalis would say if she heard."

The necromancer waved a dismissive hand, "She'd laugh about it..." he sighed, "I do hope she'll come visit me from time to time once I've set up my country."

"What are you going to call it?"

"Call what?" Aergad replied as he lifted a curtain to peek behind it.

"Your country?" Xhergis asked, "What name are you going to call it?"

"Ohh... I don't know yet." he smirked, "I'll think of something once it's there..." Aergad looked out another window and down at the Canterlot maze below, "That looks promising... Chase a princess through the maze, win a prize."

---

"You're lost, aren't you?" Xhergis gave him a frown. The necromancer had been searching the maze for a full hour by now, "I know we've passed that bench before."

"Oh, lighten up Buttercup." he chuckled, "I still have a princess to kiss..." he stopped at a junction, "Does this look familiar to you?"

"It's the same crossing we've passed three times already!"

The necromancer scratched his chin in thought, "Are you sure?"

"Yes! For crying out loud, yes! Admit it already, you're lost!"

"I don't know..." Aergad paused, "That leaf doesn't look familiar to me."

"Argh!" Xhergis wailed in despair, "You are driving me insane! Can't we just go back? Please?"

"And lose the dare to the paladin? Never!" Aergad cracked the knuckles of his fists, "But you're right, I'm getting tired of this maze."

"I never said anything about..." she was cut off as the necromancer channeled the mana around him, brought forth his hands in a pushing motion... and shot a fireball that burned a hole throughout the entire maze.

"See?" he chuckled, "It's much nicer this way."

"You ruined the royal maze! Celestia will be furious!"

"I think it is quite an improvement." another voice spoke up behind the necromancer, "And such a beautiful job on the miniature changeling... does she do tricks?"

"Buttercup? Give her a bed and she can do some amazing..." Aergad turned around to see who he was talking to, his eyebrow raising slightly as he came face to face with something new, "Things..."

By this point, Xhergis could do nothing but stare in horror.

"Greetings!" a lion paw was offered to Aergad, "I am Discord, king of fun and straight back from vacation." a toothy grin appeared on his face.

The necromancer seemed to hesitate for a moment, but then reached out and grasped the paw in his hand, "Aergad, necromancer..." he tilted his head with a strange expression on his face, "Charmed?"

Discord returned the shake, "Absolutely! I have never seen something as interesting as you..." he retrieved his paw and observed Aergad's form, "I like the robe... so mysterious!"

"Thanks... I like... how all of your body is made of different parts?"

"Oh, you'll soon see that there is a lot more to me to adore." a strange chuckle escaped Discord, "But first, you wouldn't have happened to have seen a white alicorn around?"

"You mean Celestia? She's somewhere in the castle... Are you a friend of hers?"

"Aergad!" Xhergis whispered, "Be careful!"

"Oh, I am more than just an old friend..." he turned around and started to float towards the castle, "We'll meet again, I'm sure. Bye!"

The necromancer watched the strange being leave, feeling at a slight loss at what to say for the first time in his life... "It's him..." he whispered, "I thought my old man was just playing a trick on me... but that's really him."

"Aergad! You have to do something! He's..." Xhergis tried to get his attention.

"He's the one that's going to kill me..."

A good distance down the smoking tunnel in the maze, Discord turned around with a smile on his face, "Before I forget... catch!" he threw something small and red towards him.

Still too baffled to think about what he was doing, Aergad caught the object by instinct... it was an apple. He watched the small thing in his hand with surprise, feeling a clear sign of chaotic energy run through it, "What in the..."

The apple exploded in his hand, Aergad's world went black.

---

Back in Ponyville, the skeleton orchestra fell apart and crumbled to dust.

PreviousChapters Next