• Published 30th Mar 2013
  • 20,282 Views, 1,117 Comments

Souls Apart - GnollReader



Two enemies wind up in Equestria due to a major mishap. Will they come to terms with this world? Most importantly, will they be able to put their old feud aside to survive?

  • ...
31
 1,117
 20,282

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 30: Calling a demon

"Alright, lets see now..." Zhergons went over the list, "That's five barrels of ale, three crates of dried meat, two barrels of cider and six crates of esterian pipe weed." he looked up at the necromancer, "Did I miss anything?"

"Did you get the rum?" the necromancer asked with an anxious voice.

The demon tapped a crate next to him, "Finest Ruby Coast rum for you, I'll even throw in a bottle of Athron Blood Eye free of charge for my favorite customer."

"Great. I think that's about everything... so how much do I owe you?"

"Lets see now..." the demon brought forth a slide rule, "Considering that these aren't standard commodities for me... adding the fees for the summoning and general trade taxes..."

"Can't believe the plain lords actually introduced those." the necromancer commented with a chuckle.

"Don't I know it..." Zhergons sighed, "And they're still looking for you, by the way."

"I know, I know..." he waved a dismissive hand.

"You should take it a bit more seriously." the demon raised an eyebrow, "I hear that the Succubi Sisters even issued a warrant for your capture. Alive and unharmed, nonetheless." he chuckled, "I actually envy you for that one."

"Don't. You can't even begin to imagine how relentless that clan is. I swear, I almost died of fatigue after I summoned the first one... couldn't feel my hips for days."

"And they've been looking for you ever since, not to mention that episode with the Pain Lord... if I hear correctly he wants you alive as well... for one of his little diner parties."

The necromancer shivered, "That insufferable oaf always did have a taste I couldn't appreciate. So how high is the bounty?"

"High enough that you should worry." Zhergons replied with a serious voice, "The lesser demons are jumping for a chance to be on your tail. What ever did you do to make him that furious anyway? He's threatened to cut off the tongues of anyone that dares to even speak about what you did."

Aergad laughed, "I turned his favorite hell dogs into ducks." Zhergons paled, "And then I set fire to them..." the demon paled even more, "You can not imagine the fun I had listening to all of those frantic quacks!"

The demon rubbed his temples, "Sometimes, I wonder if you're not just looking for a painful way to get yourself killed... not that the pain lord would make it quick though." he sighed.

"Fun times." the necromancer chuckled, "So how much do I owe you?"

"Well..." Zhergons continued his calculations, "I'd say about one hundred and twenty vials."

"That's just cruel." Aergad replied, "I'd say about forty should be fine."

The demon put on a mortified expression, "Forty? I'd be the laughing stock of all seven planes! I charge twenty alone for the summon!"

"Let me sweeten the deal for you a bit then." the necromancer grinned as he pulled out a small gem from his robes, it was giving off a soft blue glow from the inside.

The moment the demon saw it his eyes got wide, "Is that what I think it is?" he could barely hide his hunger.

"Grade A pixie soul..." the necromancer turned the gem between his fingers with a small sigh, "Poor thing died a violent death too, got eaten by a badger."

Zhergons swallowed hard and started to stammer as his gaze never left the small gem, "Rose... or sunflower pixie?" sweat started to form on his brow, "Or maybe... maybe even daffodil?!"

A small, wicked smile appeared on the necromancer's lips, "Snow flower." If the demon's jaw could have dropped any further they would have, "Sounds interesting? I hear they have a very unique taste to them..." he let the gem dance over his fingers, chuckling as the demon started to shiver, "Though I can't help feeling it would be a little too much for..." he started to put it back into his robes.

"Wait! Wait! Wait!" Zhergons held up a frantic hand, "I'll throw in two more crates of finest Lesthar demon wine!" the necromancer raised an eyebrow and the demon cringed, "Alright! Alright! I'll even add a flask of pit demon brandy from my personal reserves! Just please... don't put it away!"

Aergad smiled, "Well now, sounds like we have a deal."

The demon held his head low in defeat, "My wife is going to kill me if she ever finds out."

The necromancer chuckled, "Which one? The one with the two heads or the one with three arms?"

"Both, I'm afraid."

"Send them my regards when they do... Those curtains they made me were absolutely lovely."

Zhergons groaned, "They'll be delighted to hear it."

---

Having returned from a full day of hard labor in the necromancer's tower, Twilight gave a sigh as she flopped down in her basement. She hadn't seen the necromancer during her day of work, but at least that had spared her a small bit of the embarassment. It still served to make her feel absolutely undignified. The imps had told her she could keep the uniform, seeing as it fit her so nicely... she had stuffed it into her trash the moment she got home.

Now though, all of her attention rested on the small book lying in front of her and she realized, that there was a problem she had not thought of before... She couldn't read it. The whole book was written in a language Twilight was completely unfamiliar with.

Strangely enough though, and much to Twilight's dismay... her translation spells weren't working as she had expected. Only small parts of the book had been transformed successfully, the broken portions of text telling her that the book was actually written in four different languages... not to mention the countless runes which she couldn't even begin to identify.

Twilight pouted as she flipped through the pages, but after a while she managed to pick out a few spells she actually thought she could perform with the little information given. She picked up a piece of chalk, and got to work. It took her half an hour to put down what she had identified as the circle required for the summoning. There was another circle mentioned at the beginning of the book, but seeing as it wasn't translated and that it was only at the beginning of the book she skipped it.

Unknown to her, the second circle was the enchantment required for containment.

As she finished drawing the last runes onto the floor, Twilight flipped through the pages once more and chose a spell. Concentrating her magic into the circle, she started to chant words of an unknown language in the dark of her basement.

Slowly, the runes started to glow in a soft red, and before Twilight's startled eyes something started to rise out of the glowing circle. At first, she could see horns, then a huge head with too many eyes and flames dancing from a mouth with sharp teeth turned to her as it poked out of the ground, "AHrkas Shrarska arARa?" a deep voice rumbled at her.

Twilight's jaw dropped, her concentration broke and the head disappeared from view as the summoning was interrupted before it had even truly started. A small drop of sweat ran down her brow, "Okay... lets not do that one again..."

She flipped through the pages again, determined to give the summon another shot. When she had selected one she thought more promising, she started to chant again.

Once more, the runes started to glow... but with a much deeper red this time. A small, tiny form started to grow from the glowing cycle, a head smaller than the imps. Spurred by the promise of success, Twilight continued to chant.

When she finally finished her chants, the Lord of Pain had arrived.

"Hahaha!" a small voice laughed maniacally, "Tremble in fear and despair! The lord of pain has arrived! Bow before me puny mort..." he stopped to look down at his form, "What in the name of the eight gates is this?!" he turned to Twilight, "Did you summon me?!" she put on a sheepish look.

The little demon fumed, "Insolent brat! Return me to my plane this instant! I refuse to appear in such a ridiculous and weak form! I shall eat your soul for this..." he stopped, and looked down at the circle. A sneer appeared on his little face, "The necromancer! I'd recognize those designs anywhere!" he turned to Twilight, "Where is he?!"

"Uhmm..." Twilight frowned, "I don't think I should..."

"Wait a second!" the demon studied the circle, "You didn't put down the second circle?" a sinister laugh escaped the demon's mouth, "Now, finally I shall have my vengeance! This world shall burn for my entertainment!" he gave her a smirk, "Goodbye." and with a snap of his tiny fingers, he disappeared... leaving behind an absolutely shocked Twilight Sparkle.

---

In his rage and hunger for vengeance, the Lord of Pain never paused to actually consider that in effect of Twilight's faulty summon, his current form held no real power... and the problem would not become apparant to him until he actually found the necromancer.

PreviousChapters Next