• Published 30th Mar 2013
  • 20,296 Views, 1,117 Comments

Souls Apart - GnollReader



Two enemies wind up in Equestria due to a major mishap. Will they come to terms with this world? Most importantly, will they be able to put their old feud aside to survive?

  • ...
31
 1,117
 20,296

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 14: Waking a god

He gave a yawn as he stepped out of his tower. Two hours till sunrise... he shuddered as he breathed in the cold morning air, but his eyes widened in surprise as he found a pony waiting in front of the doors.

"What the... don't I know you? What was your name again? Sprinkle Sparkle?"

"Twilight Sparkle!" she corrected him with a glare.

"Uhmm... okay?" he looked at the huge stack of paper she was carrying with her, "What are those?"

Twilight Sparkle struck a proud pose, "These are all forms required for the challenge, filled out and ready for checking. I wasn't able to finish yesterday, so I prepared everything last night."

He stared at her for a moment, "You do realize those aren't going to help you?"

"What? But I filled out everything!"

He groaned, "You did, the forms from yesterday... They change them every day..." he picked up a piece of paper and held it up with a disapproving look, "These... are worthless."

Twilight's jaw fell open, "But... but... I worked the whole night!" she wailed.

The necromancer gave off a sigh, "Do you want a hint?"

She tilted her head, "A hint?"

He rubbed his temples, "Look... normally I don't do this, but it's far too early for this crap. So listen up, you go in there when the tower opens, and you demand a form that doesn't exist. And whatever they say, insist that it exists."

"How's that going to help me?" she asked with a raised eyebrow, "I know what I need, so why should I ask for something else?"

The necromancer yawned, "Just do it, and watch... it'll be fun, I promise."

Twilight watched him leave in wonder, not understanding a single word he had just said. She gave a sigh, "Might as well..."

---

Celestia slumbered peacefully in her bed, still tired and sore from yesterdays events. Her sleep was interrupted though, when a tired voice penetrated the silence.

"It's time to wake up." a male voice cooed next to her bed.

"MmmmMmm..." she mumbled into her pillow in protest.

Someone gave off a silent curse and mumbled several profanities, "The crap I put up with... Come on, it's monday..." the voice sighed, "I hate mondays..."

She gave a happy yawn and snuggled deeper into her bed, "I delay mondays..." a soft snore escaped the pillow as she drifted into sleep again.

There was another sigh, "Get up... you have to raise the sun." someone shook her shoulder.

She struck the hand away with a lazy motion, "You go do it... I'm tired..." she mumbled.

A short pause followed, "Alright."

For a moment she thought she was dreaming, but then Celestia's eyes ripped open in surprise as she felt something tap into her powers.

Her head shot up from the pillow, and she watched in total shock as the necromancer stood on her balcony, one hand pointed to her and the other pointed at the horizon, a thin line glowing gold between the two of them.

"Come on..." he mumbled, "Come on, you big fat fu..."

Celestia watched in utter disbelief as the sun appeared on the horizon.

The necromancer started to breath heavily, beads of sweat forming on his brow, "Up you go... just a little bit... how did I think this was good idea? I'm installing pits of shit when she visits the next time..." he mumbled between ragged breaths, but eventually, the sun started to climb, "Almost..." he wheezed, "Move your fat ass!" he snarled, and with a last motion of his hand, the sun rose into its position.

She felt the connection cut off and saw him sink to his knees, bent over with his head held low and heaving heavily.

"Are you... are you insane?!" Celestia nearly shouted as she quickly scrambled out of her bed, suddenly fully awake, "What in the world were you thinking?!"

"You told me to..." he coughed up blood, "Damn that piece of shit is heavy..." he struggled to turn around and leaned against the balcony, "I say, I knew you were powerful, but seriously..." he took a deep breath, "Even the little I took nearly killed me..." he spat out blood again, "If you weren't connected to that yellow fuck so deeply, I wouldn't have even been able to touch it..." She noticed with dread that a new streak of gray ran through his hair.

"We have to get you to a hospital!" Celestia started to panic, his face was pale enough to match her own coat.

He waved a dismissive hand, "Just give me a moment..." he wheezed through cracked lips.

Celestia watched in concern as he put one of his hands on the railing of the balcony, and concern turned into wonder as she saw the stone start to lose its color and crumble before her eyes as if aging a thousand years in mere seconds. As she continued to watch, his breathing slowly returned to normal, and the color started to return to his face.

He gave a sigh, "There we go... good as new." he stood up and looked at the stone he had touched, "You should probably have that exchanged..." his voice became quiet as she stepped up to him with a very upset glare.

"Never... do something like that again." her eyes burned into his own.

"But you said..." he started to reply.

"Never! No matter what I say. You nearly killed yourself! Putting aside the fact that what you just did should be impossible, it was an absolutely foolish and reckless act! What if you had made a mistake?! The sun could have..."

He gave her a small grin, "But I didn't, did I?" he waved a hand at the sun, "Looks absolutely perfect, doesn't it? I could probably get it to do some loops with a bit of practi..." he turned pale as she stepped closer to him, her face almost touching his.

"Never." her voice carried the threat of death.

"Never. Got it." he nodded quickly, still grinning like an idiot.

She shook her head, "You are unbelievable."

"I'm awesome!" he protested as she turned around and headed for another door, "Where are you going?"

"I am going to take a shower, and then I am going to prepare myself for my duties." she replied as she entered the bathroom.

For a moment, the necromancer stood alone in the bedroom, slightly at a loss, "Do you need me to scrub you down? Or should I take the shower for you?" he asked with false excitement.

He was rewarded with a door being slammed shut.

"Guess not..." he chuckled as he looked around himself, "Wonder what she's going to say when she finds out I turned twenty of her guards into frogs just to get here..."

PreviousChapters Next