• Published 27th Mar 2013
  • 5,095 Views, 332 Comments

Refracted Love - Silentpegasus



Princess Cadence comes across a crystal unicorn colt and sends him to live with Twilight. What happenes when a member of the CMC take an interest in him

  • ...
14
 332
 5,095

Chapter 11: Return

Chapter 11

Return

Five Years later.

The yellow Earth pony mare finished her last tree and wiped the sweat off her brow. Applebloom’s mane was in a long braid with a bow above her right ear and at the end of the braid, which had a red bow at the end of it. Her tail was together by a red hair tie at the end in a pony tail fashion. A green checkered handkerchief hung from her neck. Her flank also donned her very own Cutie Mark, a hammer behind a red apple.

“Applebloom? Did ya finish the row?” Applejack called out as she looked at her sister.

“Yeah, ah’m heading back.” She said with a smile. The yellow eigtteen year old mare trotted down the road towards her home. The yellow mare passed her brother and gave him a friendly nod.

“Dinner will be ready in a few sis.” He said with a grin. Applebloom smiled and walked up to her room. The mare laid down on her bed and stared up at the ceiling. The mare let out a sigh and looked over to her window and her mind drifted to her friends. Sweetie Belle had been busy with her new record album and was currently on vacation and was spending some long overdue time with Rumble, who was on leave from the Wonderbolt academy.

Scootaloo was partnered with Rumble in the academy and they were easily the top of their class. Pipsqueak had earned his Cutie Mark in Navigation and was helping the royal guard with reading maps and compass’s. The orange Pegasus even managed to sneak off base once or twice to see her colt friend. Applebloom let out a sigh as she reached under her handkerchief and pulled out a small red heart shaped crystal on a metal chain.

The mare held the rock close and let out a sigh as she remembered how she acquired the treasure.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It had been a week since the crystal colt had left the small town. Applebloom was still getting over the fact that he was gone. The small filly was lying in the park with a sad look on her face. The filly’s sadness was interrupted by a familiar blonde maned grey Pegasus mare. “Hey Applebloom!” She said with a smile.

“What do ya want Ditzy? I’m not in the mood.” She said with a groan.

“Oh, I see. I just came cause I have a letter for you.” The mare said in a low tone. The filly let out a sigh and sat up.

“Ah’m mighty sorry about that Ditzy. I’m just a bit sad is all.” She said with a sigh.

“It’s okay. Here’s your letter.” She said with a smile. The filly cocked an eyebrow as the mare handed her a muffin.

“Um Ditzy, is this one of those muffin-grams?”

“Oops. Sorry about that.” She said as she took the muffin back. “Here’s your letter.” She said as she handed her a manila envelope. The mare took off to the skies leaving the filly alone with the package.

What in the hay is this thing? She thought as she opened it. Her eyes shrank as a red gem in the shape of an apple came tumbling out along with a letter the farmer picked up the slip of paper and started reading it to herself.

Dear Applebloom

I’m so sorry for how I left. I had to. My presence in Ponyville has become a burden to you all. I know how you feel about me and I feel the same way. Leaving Ponyville was the hardest thing I’ve ever had to do in my long years of living. The filly felt tears well up in her eyes. This is more than just a gem, it’s a promise that I’ll come back one day. I am begging you that you keep this to yourself. It will only make everypony else worry.

Sincerely, Geode.

The filly hugged the letter and put the necklace around her neck. She looked at it and felt fresh tears roll down her cheek.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It had been five years. Five long years since that day. Despite her friend’s efforts to help her move on the yellow pony kept faith that her knight would return. A sudden knock on the door took the filly out of the trance and quickly put the necklace safely tucked away behind her handkerchief.

“Applebloom, supper’s ready.” Applejack said in a cheery tone.

“Ah’ll be right down sis.” The mare said as she got to her hooves. The mare trotted downstairs and sat beside her older brother who was sitting next to a familiar maroon mare. Mac had married Cherilee two years ago and the two couldn’t have been happier. “How was school Ms-....Ah mean Cherilee?”

“Oh just wonderful. How’s your construction going on the barn?”

“Good, ah got the third beam in place and I should be able to get the fourth in by tomorrow afternoon.” She said with a smile.

“Caramel! You better get your sorry flank down here before ah have to come up and drag you out myself!” The orange mare bellowed upstairs.

“I’m coming I’m coming.” Soon a light brown earth pony stallion with a neatly combed brown mane made his way into the kitchen. “Sheesh, I said I would be a minute.” He said as he sat down next to the orange mare.

“Ah know and I literally gave you minute.” She teased. The stallion rolled his eyes as the mare pecked him on the cheek.

“Enough of that you two. It’s supper time.” Granny smith said as she put the pot on a wood coaster.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In the center of town a dark brown Unicorn stallion wearing a long red coat made his way into town. A black hood covering his equally black mane covering and face. The stallion made his way through the town. He felt a sudden tugging at his coat. He looked down to see a white unicorn filly with a pink mane staring at him. “Well, hello there.” He said with a smile. The filly smiled back at him. “Are you lost?” He asked as he crouched down. The filly nodded with a nervous look in her eye.

“Yes, I’m here visiting my aunt and I got lost in the crowd.” She said in a nervous tone.

“Well, let’s go find her then.” Geode said with a smile. The filly smiled and followed the red stallion. “So what’s your name?” He asked as he looked at the filly.

“Rising Dawn. You?”


“You can just call me G.” He said with a grin.

“What kind of name is that?” She asked as she cocked her head.

“My name. So where did you last see your aunt?”

“Um....we were at a sweet shop.”

“Sugar Cube Corner?”

“Yeah! That’s it!” She said with a smile. The two walked through the busy streets as the sun started to set. The filly noticed that the stallion had two small rock mallet’s hanging from his sides. “What do you need those for G?” The red stallion looked at his hammers.

“Oh these? They’re for work.” He said with a smile. The stallion was hit with nostalgia as he entered the sweet shop. He saw a familiar pink mare standing behind the counter smiling.

“Welcome to Sugar Cube Corner how can I.....DAWN! There you are!” She said as she galloped up to the filly.

“Sorry Aunt Pinkie. I kinda got lost.” The filly said with a weak grin on her face. Geode pulled his hat over his face to hide his surprised expression. “Good thing I ran into...Hey where’d he go?” The filly said as the space that the stallion once occupied was now empty.

The red stallion galloped through the small town keeping his hat pulled over his head. That was way too close!

Wait why am I running? He thought to himself.

I don’t know. I just....freaked out! The stallion stopped running and caught his breath. as he sat on a bench in town he looked down at his hooves and saw a flyer that caught his eye. He picked it up and saw that both Scootaloo and rumble were advertising for the Wonderbolts along with Rainbow Dash. The stallion felt a smile creep across his face at the sight of the two.

“Excuse me sir.” The stallion looked to his left to see a familiar white guard stallion with a long blue mane and a short blue beard. “I’m looking for a small white Unicorn filly with a pink mane. Have you seen her?” G felt a small bead of sweat from on his head and his tongue dry up. “Are you okay? You look like you’ve seen a ghost.”

“I’m fine. I saw the filly enter the sweet shop down town.”

“Sugar Cube Corner?” Shining asked.

“That’s the place.”

“Thanks.” He said with a smile. As the the white stallion started to walk away something scratched at the back of his mind. “Hey I didn’t get your-” He stopped when he saw the that the pony had left the area and seemed to vanish. Shining stroked his beard and pushed the thought out of his mind as he hurried to the sweet shop.

The stallion kept his head low as he hurried through the streets. As he neared the edge of town he was hit with a wave of nostalgia as his eyes fell upon the schoolhouse. It was still the same color and had the same sign out front. The red stallion gulped as he trotted along a familiar path leading up to an old club house. He gulped as he approached the old structure.

Some of the wooden boards on the exterior were starting to rot. The stallion put a hoof on the side wall and let out a sigh. He looked on the door to see another flyer advertising Sweetie Belle’s new hit song.

I hope everyone is okay. He thought as he turned around and went back towards the town. The stallion walked past Sugar Cube Corner agin and heard a few familiar voices coming from the inside.

“C’mon Applebloom. Any one of theses stallions would be lucky to be with you.” Scootaloo whined.

“Ah said I’ll pass.”

“You’re still waiting for Geode to come back? It’s been five years!” Pip exclaimed.

“H-he promised that he’d come back.” She said trying to sound strong.

She waited for me? All this time? He thought to himself.

“Look, we know how you feel. We miss him too.” Rumble said with a sigh. The brown stallion entered the establishment undetected. He sat down in the seat across from them. The door opened to reveal four ponies enter the sweet shop. The stallion easily recognized the two mares that were followed by two stallions. One was a dark blue Pegasus and the other was atan Earth pony.

“What are you losers doing now?” The pink mare said with a scoff.

“Just beat it Tiara.” Scootaloo spat out.

“What it’s not our fault that the monster ran away from you.” Spoon said with an evil cackle.

“Spoon, Tiara. Say one more thing and I’ll snap ya’ll like a dry twig.” Applebloom said in a calm but anger filled voice. The two stallions then stepped forward. “Scared to fight mare to mare?”

“Why should I bother with somepony like you?” Tiara scoffed. As the yellow filly quickly got to her hooves her face was met with a tan hoof to her face. Before anypony moved the stallion was blind sided by a brown hoof and was sent flying into the far wall causing the wall to crack.

“Who the buck are you?” The pink mare yelled. The commotion had attracted the attention of a few ponies. Including a familiar lavender Unicorn. The blue Pegasus grabbed a nearby stool and bashed it against the hooded stallion’s head. The stranger didn’t move a muscle until he turned around and stared at the nervous stallion.

“My turn.” The brown Unicorn picked the Pegasus up by his mane and threw him through the window. “Next?” He asked as he looked at the two prissy mares who were shaking in fear. “Good.” He said in a flat tone. As he looked to his left he saw the group of ponies smile at him.

“Thanks new guy! That was awesome.” Scootaloo said with a smile. The group was then joined by Pinkie and the other ponies including the white filly from before. Dawn let out a gasp at the stallion.

“Hey this is the stallion that helped me find my way back!” She yelled. Shining raised an eyebrow and trotted up to him.

“Thanks for pointing my daughter in the right direction.” He said with a grin.

“I-It was no trouble.” The stallion’s eyes shrank as Twilight trotted up to him.

“Are you okay? These stools are made out of solid oak.” She asked in a concerned tone.

“It’s okay. I’m hard headed.” He said as he gave a small tap on his head. As his hoof connected with his scalp the ponies heard an audible cracking sound. “Oh no.” He said in a hushed tone. The ponies eyes shrank as the crack spread down the right side of the stallion’s face. The brown surface fell to the ground and shattered like clay, revealing a deep red color.

Silence fell over the room as the stallion looked at the shocked ponies. Twilight put the pieces together as she stared into the stallion’s deep purple eyes. “G-Geode? Is that you?” She asked with tears in her eyes. The stallion could feel the tears starting to flow over making the rest of his disguise crumble around him. The small filly looked at the adult’s who all had looks of shock, surprise and wonderment on their faces.

Before the stallion could answer, the lavender mare wrapped her hooves around her adopted son and cried into his shoulder. The stallion returned the hug and smiled in the mare’s embrace.The group of ponies then crowded around him. The colt was met with friendly high hooves and hugs.

“You know what this calls for?” Pinkie yelled.

“I can guess.” Geode said with a smile. “A Party?”

“YES!” She yelled.

“Still the same as ever I see.” He said with a smile. The two beaten stallions limped out of the pastry shop with the two annoying mares in hot pursuit.

“I’m so glad that you’re okay.” Twilight said as she wiped the tears from her eyes.

“Likewise.”

“Okay who his this guy?” Dawn asked as she looked at the white stallion.

“Dawn, this is your cousin Geode. The one I told you about, remember?” The white filly thought for a moment and soon came to the revelation.

“NO WAY!” She said with a smile.

“So where have you been all this time?” Rumble asked.

“I’ve been traveling all around Equestria. Seeing the world like I wanted to.” He said with a grin. The five friends then felt a little disappointed by his words. “The funny thing is that where ever I went my mind always drifted back to this town.” He said with a smile. The ponies gave him a warm smile at the words.

“So what have you been doing for the past five years?” Shining asked.

“I’ve been seeing the world and catching up on what I missed. By the way Pinkie.” The pink mare looked at the red stallion. “Your folks say hi. I worked on your rock farm just before I came here.”

“YAY!” She exclaimed. As the night went on Geode had noticed that Applebloom kept relatively quiet and seemed to look away when he looked at her. The stallion let out a sigh and walked over to her while the other ponies were busy conversing with one another. The mare sat down at a nearby table and held her head in her hooves.

“Can I sit with you?” Geode asked as he looked at the mare.

“Sure.” She said in an uneasy tone. The stallion sat across from her and let out a sigh.

“Look Applebloom I-”

“Why didn’t you write?” She asked in low voice. “Ah waited for five years. Five years!” she said as a tear started to form in her eye.

“I know and I’m sorry. It’s just that.....” The stallion lowered his head in shame. “I figured that you all would be better off without me.” The mare looked at him in shock.

“How can ya even say that? You’re our friend!” She yelled.

“You saw what happened that night. If anything ever happened to you because of me.....I’d never forgive myself.” He said in a low tone. The mare looked at him with a sad look on her face. “You all mean a lot to me. Especially you.”

“Me?” She asked as her face turned bright red.

“In a way. You were my first real friend. Even when I pushed you away your stubbornness persisted and you started to grow on me.” The red stallion felt his cheeks flare up as he chose his next words. “I guess what I’m trying to say is that I really-” Geode was cut off as the yellow mare wrapped her hooves around him and pressed her lips against his. The stallion’s mind short circuited at the mare’s action and left him frozen.

Applebloom broke the embrace and gave him a sheepish grin. “Sorry, ah’ve been waiting a long while to do that.” She said with a smile.

“Worth it?” He asked.

“Definitely.” The mare said with a smile.

“FINALLY!” The two looked over to see the other ponies watching them with wide grins on their faces. “Seriously, I thought I was gonna become an old mare before that was going to happen.” Scootaloo yelled. The two ponies covered their faces with their hooves. Geode looked over to see Shining winking at him.

“Oh sweet Celestia.” Geode groaned.

“So Geode where are you going to stay?” Sweetie Belle asked.

“He can stay with m-” The white earth pony stallion was cut off as the orange Pegasus lightly hit him in the ribs.

“We’ve got room at the farm.” The orange mare said with a smile.

“You sure I don’t want to be a bother.” Geode said as he cocked an eyebrow.

“Nonsense! Yer practically family Geode. Got any objections bloom?” AJ asked.

“Do ya even need to ask?” She deadpanned. The ponies started to vacate the sweet shop and go home. Geode walked Twilight and Shining home. He noticed that Dawn was asleep on the guard’s back and snoring softly.

“Dawn seems like a good filly.”

“Oh trust me she can be a real hoofful sometimes.” Shining said with a grin.

“I caught her trying to put itching powder in your armor earlier today.” Twilight said with a giggle. Geode stopped as they came to his old home.

“You sure you don’t want to sleep here? I can get a hotel and-” Geode raised a hoof at the white stallion.

“No, there will be plenty of time for Twilight and I to catch up.” He said with a smile. “Say hi to Cadence for me. I’ll see you tomorrow mom.” He said as he made his way towards the orchard. Twilight felt a small tear of joy fill her eye as she heard the word she hadn’t heard in five years.

Geode was happily greeted by Granny Smith and Cherilee as he walked through the door. The stallion made his way up the stairs and into the guest room. As he tried to fall asleep the door opened to reveal the yellow mare with a smile on her face. Before Geode could say anything the mare crawled under the covers next to the stallion and smiled.

“Goodnight.” She said as she gave him a quick peck on the cheek. Geode wrapped his hooves around the mare and fell asleep with her in his arms.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In the Crystal Empire the elderly hooded stallion was sitting at the head of the table with only four others. The stallion slammed his hoof down on the table in frustration. “How could this have happened? We had over one hundred followers when the empire returned and now there are only four before me.”

“The colt has grown stronger and had been taking us apart brick by brick.” One of them said with a gulp. The elderly stallion slumped in his seat and rubbed his temples with his hooves.

“What should we do sir?” Another asked.

“We just need to wait a little longer. The spell will be completed and all pieces will be put in place.” He said with a sigh. “Send the little bastard a message that we’re still around.”

“Sir!” One of the stallions said as he ran off into the shadows. The other three stallions smiled as they looked at their leader.

“He’ll die won’t he?” One of them asked.

“It matters little. The time is coming my brothers. Soon we shall have not only this empire but all of Equestria in our hooves.” He said with a cackle. “Everything is going according to plan.”

Author's Note:

Sorry for the lateness.