• Published 27th Mar 2013
  • 9,572 Views, 797 Comments

Lyra's Ultimate Item Emporium - Thunderbug80



Lyra, with some help from Bon Bon, converts her home into a shop in Ponyville to pay off some debts. But who knew running a shop could be so difficult?

  • ...
17
 797
 9,572

Chapter 10 - Adventure

Chapter 10
Adventure


The Last Roundup saloon, a small yet well-kept place with polished wooden floors, was virtually empty. This had nothing to do with the quality of the drinks available, the likes of which ranged from golden fresh apple juice to sweet cherry cider. Nor was its quality of service at fault, as the serving ponies were quick to take an order and even quicker to take a payment. In fact, on any ordinary day the saloon would be bustling with activity. Today, however, most of the regulars had hopped onto the next train to Ponyville in order to get a glimpse of the fabulous new shop everypony was talking about: Filthy Trix.

Had the saloon not been so empty, Lyra and Bon Bon might have been asked to leave a lot sooner.

"Look ladies, I can't let ya stay in here all day if ya don't order something," their serving pony, a young stallion with a white streak through his caramel colored mane, said. He shrugged his shoulders. "A drink, some pretzels. Anything!"

Lyra lifted her head off the table and stared bleakly at the server. "Is there anything that's free?"

The server scowled, and Bon Bon swiftly withdrew a few of her own bits and set them on the table. "We'll each have a cherry cider," she said, smiling. The server, his eyes still on Lyra, took the bits, then turned briskly and left to fetch their drinks.

"Thanks, Bon Bon," Lyra mumbled into the table. Her mood had dimmed a bit with Trixie's antics at the market, and it had grown worse when Iron Will had to take his leave in order to report back to Can't Run, Can't Hide for a status update. She and Bon Bon had been sitting at The Last Roundup and trying to think of ways to get inventory ever since.

Bon Bon leaned back in her chair and crossed her front hooves. "I can't believe that Trixie," she huffed. She leaned forward again, as if her annoyance kept her from sitting still. "She didn't leave us with anything! I doubt she can even sell half of the consumables she bought before they go bad. It would serve her right!"

Lyra lifted her head off the table as the server brought them their drinks. "She's just taking my advice to heart," she said. She lifted a mug to her lips and took a sip of the sweet cider. "I told her to do her best, and that's what she's doing. It's actually kind of nice to see her doing so well." She set the mug down and gave a little smile. "Though I guess it doesn't help us much."

Friendship can be tricky sometimes. There are times when a good friend will act in a particular way that, any rational observer would know, will undoubtedly lead him or her into more trouble than it's worth. In such times, one might be tempted to point these faults out in order to protect said friend from harm, but will then remain silent for fear of putting a dent in the relationship.

Bon Bon wasn't exactly the silent type, however.

"No," she said flatly, "it doesn't help us at all."

"It's just a bit of friendly competition," Lyra said.

Bon Bon stared at her friend, her mouth agape. "In case you haven't noticed, your friendly competition is intent on bankrupting you!" she countered.

Lyra swirled the contents of her mug around thoughtfully. "Well, I can't really have much less money than I have now, and I think her success is more important to her than my failure. Besides, hoping that somepony fails is kind of mean-spirited, and I just don't see Trixie as being that kind of pony."

The hoof that found its way to Bon Bon's face probably hit a bit harder than she had intended, if the groan was any indication. She gave Lyra a look with her uncovered eye, opened her mouth, then shut it. She finally lowered her hoof back down to the table, bit her lip, and nodded slowly.

Lyra beamed. "I knew you'd see it my way!" She blinked suddenly and squinted at the wall behind Bon Bon. "Hey, look at that," she said, pointing with a hoof. "I wonder what that's all about."

Bon Bon briefly glanced behind her, then rolled her eyes. "It's a wall, Lyra. It's all about separating the indoor areas from the outdoors."

"No no," Lyra said. She stood up from her seat and trotted over to the wall. She indicated a notice with her snout. "Have a look at this," she said. "Riches galore!" she read as Bon Bon came to stand next to her. "Bit pouch barren? Tired of the mundane and crave something more? Then come one, come all to the glorious Adventurer's Guild, where fame and fortune await!" She turned to Bon Bon, her eyes sparkling. "Oh, isn't this great? We're going to be adventurers!"

Bon Bon's eyes widened and she shook her head firmly. "Oh. No. We. Are. Not!" She lowered her head and shoved Lyra's bottom, pushing her friend slowly away from the notice. "I can think of no better way to lose not only our money," she grunted, "but our lives too!"

Lyra turned around and put a hoof on Bon Bon's shoulder. "Pinkie Pie goes out with her friends to save Equestria like every other week! If she can do it, why not us?"

"Because she's Pinkie Pie!" Bon Bon huffed. "She can walk on air, for pony's sake. You can play a lyre and I can make candy, and those are not the kind of skills that make for good adventurers!"

The sudden silence caused Lyra and Bon Bon to look around in alarm. Every pony within the Last Roundup had stopped what they were doing to listen in on their argument, and Lyra's cheeks suddenly burned. She lowered her ears and stared at the floor, unable to meet her friend's gaze. Bon Bon closed her eyes and breathed slowly out her nostrils.

"I'm sorry," Bon Bon mumbled. She gave Lyra a little nuzzle. "Why don't we go have a look anyway? Looking won't hurt, right?"

Lyra's eyes lit up, but she resisted the urge to bounce up and down. She looked at Bon Bon with what she hoped was a serious expression. "Can I have another cherry cider first?" she asked.

Bon Bon grinned. "Of course," she said. "First stop: right here for one more cider. Next stop: the Adventurer's Guild!"