• Published 26th Mar 2013
  • 2,891 Views, 149 Comments

Blossoming: Learning How To Fly - nanashi_jones



I woke up as Blossomforth. Then, my life got really weird.

  • ...
4
 149
 2,891

PreviousChapters Next
If Only I Was As Good With My Self Esteem As I Am With FedEx

We did a late check-out. Cloud was pretty keen on us relocating to the “fluffy bathrobe” hotel, but while she and Rhea were all bright eyed and bushy tailed (literally in Rhea’s case), Lilah and I needed a little more rest and recovery.

This proved to be a lucky break since it meant we were still in our room when the front desk reported our luggage had arrived.

“Really?” Cloud said on the phone, her eyes on me.

I smiled from behind the glass of water and ginger ale I’d been sipping. I like to think it was my best cat-got-the-cream grin.

“Yeah, that’s- That’s ours alright. We’ll pick it up when we check out. Thanks.”

Cloud hung up. She looked at me.

“How... Did you do that?”

“Remember,” I said, setting my glass down. “I deal with FedEx and UPS on a daily basis.”

Cloud smirked and arched an unimpressed eyebrow. “Uh-huh. Spill it, Miss Mysterious.”

“You never let me be mysterious,” I said, mock pouting.

“Because you stink at it. C’mon. Talk.”

“Okay,” I said. “Remember all the Q and A with the cops when we first got here?”

She nodded.

“Well, during that, one of the parade organizers, Chris, overheard me talking about where our luggage was. He asked if we needed any help getting it back. I told him if he could give me ten minutes with Facebook, and footed a FedEx bill, I could take care of the rest.”

Cloud looked at me for a minute, then dawning comprehension washed over her face.

“You didn’t,” Cloud said.

“Now you know why I was so brain tired during the news questions.”

“What happened?” Rhea asked. “Did I miss something?”

“No, you’re fine,” Cloud replied. “You have to know exactly how January and Blossomforth work to figure this out.”

Looking at Rhea, she said, “She used our FB page, made contact with a nearby Guard, had a pegasus go and get our luggage, take it to a FedEx location...”

“And had the city pick up the bill on a Standard Overnight delivery,” I finished, laying back on a pillow, satisfied smile in place.

Rhea turned that over for a bit. Cloud kissed me on my head and called me her clever filly. I cooed happily.

“Okay, um, not to sound like a bitch, but why would the city do that?” Rhea asked. “I mean, San Francisco, yay, but that’s kind of a hassle.”

I looked at Rhea, then Cloud, happy somepony was letting me have my moment. Then, in my best newscaster voice, I said, “And on a happier note, parade organizer Chris Morgan helped a pair of pony heroes by footing the bill on their very lost luggage.”

“Public Relations?” Cloud said.

“Chris is running for town councilman in a month,” I said. “He just helped a bunch of adorable ponies with their magical luggage crisis. Even if you don’t like ponies, you gotta love a guy helping some folks find their luggage after a tragedy.”

Sticking her head out of the bathroom, where she had been brushing her teeth, Lilah said, “He’s got my vote.”

An hour later, we were in the lobby, Cloud signing off on the FedEx boxes that had our stuff and setting Rhea, her and myself up at the “fluffy bathrobe” hotel.

While she did that, I called Chris. After going through his assistant, I thanked him for the hotel room and getting our luggage back.

“Seriously, you’ve been a big help,” I said. “We’d be afloat without you.”

“Don’t worry about it,” he said, laughing. “My daughter loves the show. I’d be in deep if I didn’t help a couple of characters from it.”

I laughed too. It was only a little strained.

Lilah gave me an odd look and I rolled my eyes, mouthing, “Politician.”

She nodded and I wrapped up the conversation.

Once I tucked away my phone, I asked, “Sure you’re going to be okay?”

Lilah laughed softly. “I’m fine, Mom. I can afford a cab home and I promise I’ll spend it on the couch with my cat. I could say the same about you, you know. You look exhausted.”

“More talking with Chris than the hangover. Pegasus metabolism and all.”

She gave me a skeptical eye, but eventually nodded.

“If you say so,” she said. “You were certainly going hard last night.”

I took a breath. Though Cloud had said she was fine with my actions, I still felt uncomfortable that I’d lost control. Yes, I’d gone into doting mom mode, but that was no excuse for the fact that I drank myself into a blackout. Maybe if Thursday Night had never happened for January, I’d be more forgiving. Yet, it remained a prominent enough memory to make me worry.

I nodded at Lilah’s comment noncommittally. “So I hear.”

She gave me an assessing, cool look.

“You’re worried about it, aren’t you?” she asked.

I looked at her, shuffling my hooves.

“I blacked out,” I said. “Wouldn’t you be uncomfortable?”

Lilah snorted and tossed her mane. “Regrets are for the dead. I gave up on them a long time ago.”

I blinked. “So you’re fine with what happened? I mean, Banana was driving the car, but you were kinda present,” I said, cocking my head at her.

She shrugged. “It was... New. But, hey, pony in my head had a good time and I experimented enough in college to know I’m at least a two on the Kinsey scale. So now...” she said with a sigh and a gentle rub of her temple. “I just sleep the booze off and get back to work tomorrow.”

I looked her over again. “How... Old are you?” I said.

Lilah gave me a gimlet stare and lowered her hoof. “Were you a guy before or something?”

“That’s pretty sexist. It’s just a question,” I said, wrinkling my snout at her.

“Doesn’t answer my question,” she responded, coolly.

“Does it matter?” I responded, icier.

“Because ladies know better than to ask their age.”

I gave her a withering look. “I was 30. Proud of it. I had a gray hair or two and was looking forward to my wrinkles.”

“Ah. So, a super hippy then.” She glanced at the gift shop as if that was the end of the conversation. As she appraised a t-shirt that proclaimed its wearer loved San Francisco, she said, “I was 35.”

I rolled my eyes. Somepony was a little self-absorbed.

“Was that so hard?” I sighed.

She cocked her head at me, an unimpressed look on her face. “You know, you were more fun drunk.”

That... Hit a sore spot. I backed up a step, my wings ruffling in surprise.

“She’s actually the most fun sober,” Cloud said from behind. “Because then she gets all geeky and speaks from her heart rather than get horny and mutters from her crotch.”

I turned and just behind me were my shieldmate and Rhea. Rhea’s blue magic was wrapped around the handle of a nearby hotel luggage cart, which held our stuff. Cloud had a bit of a sharp look in her eye.

“Take it easy, Cloud,” Lilah said with a friendly smile. “We were just chatting.”

“Sounds like you were talking crap about my shieldmate,” Cloud responded, moving to stand beside me. “Last night was good, Lilah. Leave it there.”

“Hey, she was the one who got all snitty about it,” Lilah responded.

Cloud glanced at me. I looked away.

“It’s the blackout,” I said, eyes on the floor. “You guys said you had a fun time, and that I was fine, but I feel I screwed up by drinking too much. I feel like I let you down.”

“You have serious issues,” Lilah snorted.

I looked back at her, my jaw setting. “I know. I’m in therapy.”

Lilah rolled her eyes. “Well good for-”

She froze. Seriously, all of a sudden, she went still as a statue with her mouth open and her eyebrows in the middle of changing expressions. Not a muscle twitched, not an eye blinked. I wasn’t even sure if she was breathing.

Cloud, Rhea and I waited a few seconds. We looked to one another. Cloud waved a wing in front of Lilah’s frozen face.

“You killed her,” Cloud said.

“I did not!” I retorted.

Slowly, the banana yellow unicorn’s mouth started to close. Slowly, she started to blink. She took a breath and relaxed.

“Sorry about that,” she said. “Lilah’s in time out.”

“You can do that?” Rhea asked.

Banana Fluff nodded, a bit remorsefully. “We’re not on the best terms sometimes. I think she’s more scared than she lets on.”

Half of her whole face spasmed. It was disturbing to watch.

Eyebrows knitting, Banana said sharply, “Stop it, Lilah.”

Her expression mellowed, but that just showed the apology on her face.

“I’m sorry she said those things to you Blossom. And, I think it stinks you’re upset today, because for what it’s worth, you were totally cool last night. You really made me feel welcome with you and Cloud. If all this blows over, I’d like to hang out. Just us. No alcohol.”

I blinked, trying to resolve the serious amount of weird suddenly slapping me in the face.

“No, it’s...” I started. I cleared my throat and went on. “You don’t have to apologize for her. Lilah’s entitled to her opinion.”

“Not at the cost of you,” Cloud said, wrapping an affectionate wing around me.

“Seconded,” Rhea said, bumping me from the other side with her shoulder.

My face warmed up considerably and I ducked my head to hide the blush. “Guuuuuys...” I muttered.

Banana smiled, a bit ruefully.

“Hey, look. I should get going. I feel like plot and Lilah’s pitching a fit.”

She walked over to Rhea and gave her a quick hug, moved to Cloud and held her tighter, adding a nuzzle, then she stopped at me. She put a hoof on my foreleg.

Looking me in the eye, she said, “You. Are. Awesome.” And pulled me into a death grip embrace.

“Thanks,” I managed to gasp. Once she released me, I added, “We can go with you, if you want. You don’t have to recover on your own.”

She nodded. “Thanks, but sometimes a mare has to deal with her own problems, you know?”

“But ya don’t have to do ‘em alone. Ponies stick together,” Rhea said, raising a hoof.

Banana smiled and bumped it.

“You got my number?” Banana asked.

“Yeah,” Cloud said.

“Gimme a day to recover. I’ll be in touch,” she said with a nod. Then, flicking her tail, she went outside.

I wanted to say more. I wanted to stop her and reaffirm all I knew about friendship and love. I wanted her to not feel alone. Instead, I watched her pass through the sliding doors and to the curb.

Banana spoke to the valet, who indicated a nearby taxi. She said her thanks and went over to the cab, whose driver waited sitting on the hood of his car. As she approached, he rose and opened the door. She paused just outside the cab to look back. I rose up so that I could wave with both of my hooves. Cloud waved too and Rhea even whistled.

Banana Fluff smiled. It was a little sad, but it was a smile. She hopped into the cab and the driver went around to his side.

“Screw watching,” I said.

“What?” Cloud asked.

But I didn’t answer. I flapped my wings once, twice and zoomed out the hotel.

The cab’s engine turned over.

I flew up right on Banana’s window and tapped it.

She started at the noise and I smiled.

“One! Day!” I said through the glass.

She smiled back, sadness fading.

“Good luck Banana! You too Lilah! I forgiiiiiive you!”

Banana laughed and I rapped on the roof of the cab. The taxi driver gave me a thumbs up. The cab rolled out of the carport and slid into traffic.

I lowered myself to the ground, still smiling. Cloud came up beside me.

“Feel better?” she asked.

“A bit. We need to call her in a day.”

“Mmm,” Cloud said.

We sat quietly, enjoying the moment.

“Do you want to move, honey?” Cloud said. “We’re blocking traffic.”

PreviousChapters Next