• Published 26th Mar 2013
  • 2,893 Views, 149 Comments

Blossoming: Learning How To Fly - nanashi_jones



I woke up as Blossomforth. Then, my life got really weird.

  • ...
4
 149
 2,893

PreviousChapters Next
Being Good With Kids Is All About Perspective. And Being A Pony Helps Too

Once we parked the cloud and I got a good look at the park below us, my face twisted.

“What?” Jess said. “What is it?”

“I hate her. I hate her a lot.”

“What? Why? Love, what’s-”

“It’s the park Grandma took us to when we were kids. And it was my favorite, okay? It’s- Ugh. Let’s just get this over with,” I ground out.

Before Jess could say any more, I dove off the cloud, spiraling down. As I got close to the Murfreesboro park, which was only partially occupied by two women and their three young charges, I quickly became the focus of a bit of scrutiny. I wiped the scowl from my expression before anyone could make it out.

What are you-

Trust me, I cut in.

The kids approached. From up top, I’d seen they were probably if not in my demographic then close enough to know about it.

Two girls and a boy approached and I smiled, genuinely. I liked kids. They didn’t do bullshit. Or if they did, they were more fun about it.

Just behind them, I could see one of the women moving to catch up while the other took her time.

Once the kids were close, they stared at me.

“Hi,” I said in a friendly tone.

“Oh wow, they’re real,” the boy said.

Then, the fast-moving woman, who I could only assume was his mother, came and grabbed his arm. Not too hard, but I could see the reassuring-I’ve-got-you-Mom-grip on him. She placed her other hand on the girl’s chest and moved them all back a few steps. I noticed the boy and girl looked similar- siblings maybe?

“Stay back Ethan,” her voice a hard Tennessee drawl. “I heard ‘bout these things and they’re no good.”

“Sorry you feel that way ma’am,” I said with a nod and started walking away to a bench.

“You stay away from my children!” the woman shot sternly.

“She’s doing that,” Jess said, flying down.

“Oh wow! Two of them!” the other girl said. Her caretaker was coming up, but still at that leisurely stroll.

With Evan, his mom and sister keeping a wary distance, the other girl was left alone to boldly approach Jess and I as we settled onto a nearby bench. It was warm from the sun and I rested against it, smiling at the girl. She looked about ten, maybe eleven with olive skin and silky black hair and big green eyes.

“Hi, my name’s Shannon,” she said.

“Hi Shannon, I’m Blossomforth,” I said with a smile. I crooked my mental finger at Blossom.

“Cloud Kicker,” Jess said with a nod.

“This is so cool,” she whispered, awed.

“Hey, Shannon, making friends?” the woman said and, yep, she was her mother. Though her skin and hair had come from dad, the nose, eyes and ears clearly came from the woman who stood behind her, smiling easily. Her voice was just as richly Tennessee without any of the previous mother’s harsh tones.

“Yeah Mom, it’s Blossomforth and Cloud Kicker,” she said. “Are you from the show?”

“We are,” I said.

“Do you... Do you know Twilight?”

“I’ve seen her around,” Blossomforth said with my mouth. “But Cloud Kicker actually knows her.”

My head turned and Jess’s mannerisms were just... Gone as I found Cloud chuckling.

“We know each other in passing,” Cloud said.

Shannon glanced between us, her grin going wilder. “This is so cool. Can I get a picture?”

“Sure!” I chirped before Blossom could freeze at the prospect.

Shannon turned up to her mom. “Mom, can you...?” Her hands clasped in beseechment, but her mom was one step ahead, already getting out an iPhone. Shannon grinned wide and her mom motioned for her get closer.

“Hop on up,” Cloud said, patting a space on the bench between us.

Shannon did so and we leaned in, smiling brightly.

“Say ponies!” Shannon’s mom said.

“Pooonies,” we all answered.

Shannon made a few more effusive and appreciative noises and we let her touch our wings. I gave her one of my primaries that was about to shed and she clutched it like a precious gift.

“You didn’t have to,” Shannon’s mom said.

“You’re clearly raising a good daughter,” I said, pointedly not looking at the mom who had moved to the other side of the park and chastising her kids for getting so close. “A feather on her bed stand can be a good reminder of that.”

Shannon looked like I’d just pinned a medal to her chest.

“Well,” Shannon’s mom said. “That’s kind of you. What brought you to Murfreesboro?”

“We’re meeting up with family.”

As Shannon’s Mom made an understanding noise followed by a nod, Shannon got more excited.

“More pegasus?” she asked.

I smiled apologetically. “Sorry, no. They’re family we have here in Tennessee.”

Shannon’s face clouded in brief consternation then she grasped what I meant, smiling and nodding.

“Well, we’ll leave you to your business then. Come on Shannon.”

“Bye Blossomforth, bye Cloud Kicker,” Shannon said with a youthful wave.

I responded with a waved hoof, Jess waved a wing.

“Show off,” I muttered.

“Can’t hear you, too tall,” she muttered back.

Once they’d crossed the park to where the large slide was, I watched as the other two kids went to Shannon and she showed off the feather she’d got from the pegasus pony. My keen ears picked up the jealous exclamations of the kids, as well as the talking moms.

“Kelly, how could you do that? Don’t you know those things are-” the other mom started before Kelly cut her off.

“Thank you, Peggy,” Kelly said. “I’ve heard it all and I’m making up my own mind.”

Peggy shot us an impressively vile look and humphed to focus on making sure her kids didn’t get tainted by us.

“She seemed nice,” I said looking to Jess. I was glad to see Cloud Kicker had faded from her features once Shannon had left.

“You really like kids,” she said, her voice carefully neutral.

I shrugged. “I really like kids who are old or mature enough to hold a conversation.” I nuzzled against her. “No worries love, I have no designs for sperm donors in our future.”

Jess didn’t want to get pregnant. Ever.

Though I liked kids, I didn’t like babies. Or the idea of being pregnant. Or the money involved. Or the fact that my early to mid-twenties had been one long list of reasons why I should never ever have progeny.

Jess and I had talked about kids when our relationship started getting more serious, and, given the option, I definitely preferred the company of other people’s kids. You could give those back when you’re done.

Jess settled after I nuzzled her further and sighed.

“Sorry. The way you pepped up over the kids after being so upset over the park, I thought...”

“Nope,” I said. “I just like talking to smart kids. Shannon was clearly smart.”

“Yeah, you weren’t molting that feather, were you?”

“No commentary if I start flying lopsided,” I said archly.

Jess chuckled, but after a breath she leaned in. “You’re not okay are you?”

“No,” I said, my neck stiff. “But... I can stomach Michelle better than most of my family. She at least never had a drug habit.”

Jess cocked her head in a silent question.

I flapped a dismissive wing.

“You talk to your family, I judge mine,” I said flatly.

“Jane! Is that you girl?”

Turning, I saw Michelle, looking like a healthy, happy mom as she let her daughter out of a slate blue minivan. A daughter who looked to be about Shannon’s age.

“And if you thought my acting during Christmas shopping was something,” I said quietly. “Wait till you see this.

Floating up from the bench, I smiled.

“Michelle! Hey. How ya been?”

Author's Note:

Edit made 4/22/2013.

PreviousChapters Next