• Published 26th Mar 2013
  • 5,924 Views, 39 Comments

Turnabout Storm: The Case is Lost - Leo Archon



AU bad ending for the famous Phoenix Wright/MLP crossover; Not every bad ending is necessarily tragic.

  • ...
8
 39
 5,924

The Bad Ending

Turnabout Storm
Bad Ending

"My sincerest condolences, Mr. Wright," the Judge said, looking very sad indeed. "For what it's worth, I don't think Ms. Dash did it. But I couldn't hand down a verdict based on my feelings alone."

"I understand, Judge," Phoenix sighed. "I never expected to lose a case like this. I mean, Engarde was one thing, he was a total eel, but this…?"

Twilight and Phoenix had retreated to the Defendant's Lobby after the verdict had come down, and neither one of them had said a word. Rainbow Dash had been led away, back to the Detention Center to await sentencing at Celestia's hooves tomorrow. The two members of the defense team were distraught at the loss, and although Rarity, Applejack, Fluttershy, and Pinkie Pie had tried, none of them could get a response from either of the two.

Oddly, it was the Judge who had finally broken their silence. He had come to the Lobby after the ponies had left, and promptly given his condolences.

"I… I just can't believe… she's really going to be banished," Twilight murmured, her eyes moist with tears. "I keep hoping that this is all a bad dream, and I'm going to wake up tomorrow, and none of this will have happened."

"What, the murder, the trial, or the verdict?" Phoenix asked, easily sympathizing with the unicorn. He'd never lost a case, not when he knew his client was innocent. This was a huge blow to his pride as a lawyer.

"Mostly the trial. Oh, if only we could've proved somepony else did it!" Twilight moaned. She was losing the battle against her tears, it seemed.

The Judge nodded. "Sentencing's tomorrow, I hear," he stated. "I also hear that Princess Celestia is going to give Rainbow Dash a chance to say goodbye to anypony she wants to."

Twilight nodded, trying to contain her tears. "I'll… I'll definitely be there."

"So will I," Phoenix added, reaching around to embrace the despondant unicorn.

"Oh, yes, go to her little 'good-bye' party, just to twist the knife deeper," a mocking voice came from the door. All three heads turned to regard Trixie, grinning like the cat who ate the canary. "Personally, Trixie thinks it's a waste of time. She'll likely spout some nonsense about 'seeing you all again', when she's not going to be leaving the sun anytime in the foreseeable future." She laughed. "A perfect judgement for a guilty soul."

Were Trixie more observant of her surroundings, she would have noticed Phoenix, Twilight, and even the Judge looking angry, although the former two's expressions were bordering on furious. "Trixie…" growled Twilight. "Do yourself a favor and beat it before you say something you'll regret."

"Hmph," Trixie snorted. "Trixie smells sore losers. Do you really think Trixie would pass up this opportunity to - "

She was cut off as Phoenix strode over to her, and in one swift motion, hoisted her into the air via the clasp on her cloak. The lawyer was beyond caring at this point. "Trixie… I'm going to give you some advice. Rainbow Dash is a pretty popular mare in town, from what I hear. And even with this guilty verdict, her popularity with the locals probably isn't going to go away anytime soon. So, who do you think her rabid fans are going to go after for getting Rainbow found guilty, hm?"

Trixie didn't need to think. Her eyes widened at the implications. Phoenix smirked darkly. "If I were you, I wouldn't stick around. Better run, Trixie. And don't come back anytime soon." He released his hold, and Trixie bolted for the door.

"Nicely done, Mr. Wright," the Judge noted from behind Phoenix. "I admit, it was taking a good deal of my self-control not to bring my gavel down on that unicorn's head."

"I was picturing magical torture, myself," Twilight admitted. "But psychological torture works too."

Phoenix sighed. "Yeah, well, I still don't feel better."

"I'd expect not," the Judge said. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to see if this town has a decent pub. I dislike having to give out guilty verdicts." With that, the Judge left the lobby.

"I need to... be with the rest of my friends," Twilight sniffled, and trotted out the door behind the Judge.

Now that he was alone, Phoenix's thoughts raced. Is there a way I could appeal? Maybe talk to Princess Celestia herself when she gets here? There's gotta be something I can do…

His thoughts turned towards the Princess. "I wonder what she's actually like?" he mused aloud. "Twilight told me that she brought me here on the Princess's orders. How does Celestia know me?"

His thoughts kept pinging back and forth between the Princess and Rainbow's sentencing. Finally, he sighed in defeat. "There's no way I'm going to figure out how to appeal this. I guess I'll just head back to the library."

*****

The next morning, there was a gathering in a large meeting room in the Detention Center. Applejack, Rarity, Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy were all present, as were Twilight, Phoenix, and Rainbow Dash. Also present was a large white pony with both wings and a horn, with a billowing pastel-colored mane and tail. She was dressed in golden finery, including a tiara, necklace, and ornate horseshoes. This has to be Princess Celestia, thought Phoenix, keeping himself from staring, but only slightly.

Celestia had Rainbow Dash in front of her, looking very solemn. Rainbow Dash herself looked defeated, as though she had nothing left to live for. All of her friends were in various states of sadness, but it seemed as though Fluttershy was the one taking it the hardest. She was openly weeping into Rarity's coat, and the fashionista could do little except comfort her friend. It made sense; from what Phoenix had heard, Fluttershy was Rainbow's oldest friend, and would suffer the most in her absence.

"Rainbow Dash, you have been found guilty of the crime of murder," Celestia spoke. Though her voice was serene, Phoenix could hear a tone of sadness in it. "Though it pains me to do this, I have little choice. Your punishment is to be banished from Equestria, for the remainder of your natural life. I will allow you some time to say farewell to your friends before carrying out your sentence."

Rainbow just nodded, and started going around her circle of friends. "AJ, I'm gonna miss our little competitions. We never did get around to having another Iron Pony competition to see who the real winner is."

Applejack's eyes were moist, but she kept her voice strong. "Ah'm gonna miss 'em too, Rainbow. Ah'll just have ta find somepony else ta compete with, huh?"

"Good luck with that," Rainbow chuckled, though there wasn't any mirth in it. She turned next to Pinkie Pie. "I guess you'll have to find a new pranking partner, huh, Pinkie?"

"Y-yeah, I guess so," Pinkie murmured. Her previously curly mane was completely flat, and she looked to be holding back tears. Her colors also seemed somewhat duller, somehow. "B-but it's okay! I'll be fine, Dashie! Just…" she paused, then continued. "One last hug for the road?"

Rainbow smiled, a genuine smile, and accepted. "Don't ever change, Pinkie."

"Never gonna happen," Pinkie replied, her voice thick.

Rainbow next turned to Rarity. "I know we haven't always gotten along, Rarity, and I know you were always looking forward to getting me as a model. If we had time, I'd do it, just once, before I leave."

Rarity smiled through her own tears. "It's quite alright, darling," she assured the athletic pegasus. "I know how much you hate doing such 'frou-frou' stuff." She paused. "Though, from what I hear about these pictures…"

"NOT IMPORTANT!" Rainbow shouted. Then she coughed. "Anyway, can you do me one favor?"

"That being?" Rarity asked warily.

"If you ever see that… that witch again, sock her right in the eye for me, would you?" Rainbow asked in complete seriousness.

Rarity blinked, then laughed. "Consider it done, my dear."

Rainbow chuckled, then walked over to Phoenix and Twilight. "Twi, I know we haven't known each other all that long, but…"

"I'm sorry, Rainbow," Twilight interrupted. "I wish I could've done more to help your case. I let you down. You probably hate me, don't you."

Rainbow's eyes widened. "No! Nonono! I could never hate you, Twi! We just got a little unlucky, is all." She drew Twilight into a hug, which was returned a moment or two later. "I just hope there's no need for the Elements anytime soon, or else you'll have to find a new Rainbow Dash!"

Phoenix knelt down to join the hug. "For what it's worth, Rainbow, I know you're innocent. And if it were in my power, I'd take your place in a heartbeat."

"You'd do that for me, Nix? But you barely know me!" Rainbow protested.

"I know you're innocent, and that's enough for me," Phoenix declared. "I don't like it when anyone – or anypony – is wrongfully accused, let alone convicted. I just wish I could find a way to appeal this decision. But I'm just completely out of leads."

"Don't worry about it," Rainbow sighed. "I had a good run, and it was fun while it lasted." She sighed again, and turned towards Princess Celestia.

Before she could do anything else though, something yellow and pink slammed into her. Not hard enough to knock her over, but it still startled her for a moment before realizing what – or rather, who – it was. "F-Fluttershy?"

"I'm sorry!" sobbed the yellow pegasus. "I'm so sorry, Rainbow Dash! I… I didn't know this was going to happen! Y-you're being banished, and everypony's sad… and it's all my fault!!" She sobbed some more into her oldest friend's barrel.

Rainbow Dash looked conflicted for a moment, but whatever anger she'd felt towards Fluttershy couldn't really hold up in the wake of her timid friend's guilt. She wrapped her hooves around Fluttershy, a few tears coming to her eyes as well. "I'm sorry too, Fluttershy. I said some pretty nasty things to you yesterday, things you didn't deserve. You're just a little… naïve, I guess, and I shouldn't hold that against you."

Fluttershy looked up at her, hopeful. "Still best friends?"

"For life," the prismatic pegasus agreed, squeezing Fluttershy a little more firmly before letting go. She sighed, and went over to Princess Celestia. "I'm ready, Princess."

"Very well," the alicorn said, and her horn glowed with yellow light. The same light engulfed Rainbow, glowing brighter and brighter, forcing everyone else to shield their eyes. When the light faded, there was no trace of Rainbow Dash.

*****

Several minutes had passed since Rainbow's banishment. Twilight had remained for a few moments, then bolted out the door, shedding tears the whole way. Fluttershy was hot on her heels, in a similar condition. Rarity and Applejack soon followed, with Pinkie being the last to leave. The only ones left were Celestia and Phoenix.

The alicorn sighed. "I have lived for a very long time, and I'm feeling every single one of my years at this moment. I despise having to punish my little ponies."

"I don't blame you," Phoenix said. He looked at her with a somewhat hard expression. "But I've got quite a few questions to ask you, Princess."

"I had a feeling you would," Celestia replied, producing a rolled-up scroll from seemingly nowhere. "I have the answers to those questions in this letter." She floated it over to him, and he took it after a moment. "However," she added as he was about to open the scroll, "I ask that you wait until you are returned to your home before reading it."

Phoenix sighed. "With all due respect, Princess, the sooner I get some answers, the sooner I'll be able to sleep better."

"In that case, I shall send you home post-haste," she replied, her horn lighting up once more. Phoenix didn't even get to protest before he felt his consciousness begin to leave him.

His last conscious thought was, Are all princesses this cryptic?!

*****

When Phoenix awoke, he didn't have the same problems moving as he did the first time he'd woken up after Twilight had summoned him. Picking himself up, he noticed that he was in the Wright & Co. Law Offices. More specifically, he was in Mia's old office. "Well, home again, I suppose." He sighed, turning to the door. "Guess I'll sit on the couch to read Celestia's letter…"

The presence of a blue pegasus with a rainbow mane on his couch, however, derailed his current train of thought. "Wh-WHA?!" he sputtered at the sight, just as Rainbow began to stir.

"Ugh…" she moaned, rubbing her hoof on her face. "So that's what being banished feels like. Gotta admit, the sun's a lot cooler than I thought it would be."

This one sentence kick-started Phoenix's higher brain functions, and he spoke in perfect deadpan. "That would be because you're not on the sun, Rainbow."

Her magenta eyes snapped open to stare at him. "Nix…? What're you doing here?"

"Me? This is my office on Earth! What are you doing here?!" Phoenix asked, thunderstruck by this turn of events.

"I don't know!" Rainbow protested, picking herself up. "I thought I was being banished to the sun, not to your world!"

Phoenix opened his mouth, then paused. He took out Celestia's letter, and opened it. "I get a feeling that your princess is a lot trickier than we suspected."

Rainbow, seeing the letter, blinked. "You got that from the Princess?" she asked.

"Yes, and she told me not to open it until I got back home," Phoenix said with a frown. "Which makes me wonder…"

He unfurled the scroll, and Rainbow jumped up to hover beside him and read along with him.

Dear Phoenix Wright,

I assume at this point you're curious as to Rainbow Dash's presence in your office. Rest assured, this was all part of my plan. I had confidence in you to secure Rainbow Dash a 'not guilty' verdict. There was always a possibility of you failing, however. I decided that, should that happen, I would banish her, not to the moon or sun, but to your care on your world. To do either of the first two would be a death sentence for her, as mortal ponies cannot withstand the heat of the sun, nor the airless cold of the moon.

There is something else you must understand. Rainbow Dash is one of six ponies who bear what are known as the 'Elements of Harmony'. She represents Loyalty, in particular. On the off-chance that the Elements are needed in the near future, I decided it would be best not to condemn Rainbow Dash to death, but rather send her someplace where I could easily retrieve her if necessary. Should I need her in the future, I will contact you.

With this scroll is a pendant enchanted to allowed Rainbow Dash to assume human form to better blend in on Earth. I decided it wouldn't be a good idea to cause confusion with her natural appearance.

Please, take care of my little pony, Mr. Wright.

Yours sincerely,

Princess Celestia

Rainbow Dash and Phoenix exchanged glances, even as Phoenix felt around for the pendant in question. Finding it, he held it out to his companion. "Well, that solves one mystery."

"Princess Celestia is the best princess ever," Rainbow decided with a nod, taking the pendant. She slipped it on, then noticed something. "Hey, there's a postscript, Nix."

Phoenix blinked, and looked at the bottom of the scroll.

P.S. As to how I knew of you… you're not the only one who's talked to Mia Fey after her death. She sends her regards, by the way.

The attorney sighed, and chuckled. "Thanks for looking out for me, Chief," he murmured.

"Huh?" Rainbow asked, confused. "Who's Mia Fey?"

"She's my former boss. She died a couple of years ago," Phoenix explained.

"Oh," Rainbow said with a sad tone. Then she blinked. "Wait… you're able to speak to the dead? Like… with ghosts?" She looked a bit frightened at that.

Phoenix laughed. "Kind of. It's not as bad as it sounds."

He would have said more, but then the door to the offices flew open. "Nick!" fumed a rather angry Maya Fey. "Where have you been for two days, you doofus?! We've all been worried sick!"

Phoenix stared at her, and said the only thing that came to mind. "I was on a case."

"What case?! There haven't been any... calls...?!" Maya trailed off, finally taking notice of the blue pegasus hovering next to Phoenix.

Said pegasus chuckled nervously. "Uh, hey?"

Phoenix smiled. "Maya, meet Rainbow Dash, our new roommate."

-----

It took a while to explain everything to Maya. During the story, Nix's other friends Pearl and Miles showed up, and we had to explain things to them, too. Maya kept thinking she was dreaming, and Miles was convinced I was a hallucination of some kind. Pearl took a shine to me rather quickly, though, and I think that helped the other two calm down. When we fully explained the situation, they accepted me, and helped Nix take me in. Miles even went so far as to forge some documents stating that I (my human form, actually, but who cares) am Dashee Raines, Nix's cousin. Yeah, I know the name's very similar to my own, shut up.

Life on Earth's quite a bit different from life on Equestria. I have to stay in human form most of the time, only able to stretch my wings in the privacy of the offices. No one knows my secret except Nix, Maya, Pearls, and Miles. Honestly, it's for the best. I mean, I'm not the most observant pony, but even I can tell that strutting my stuff in my natural form would just be asking for trouble.

Anyway, I'm gonna keep this journal handy. Who knows, maybe it'll come in handy someday. Maybe… I'll get to show you guys back home what my life's been like since then.

Until next case,

Rainbow Dash

Author's Note:

Consider this an apology for not updating anything else in forever. My muses are AWOL, but I'll track them down, don't worry! And please, keep in mind: THIS IS NON-CANON. I know I said so in the summary, but it bears repeating, as the creator of Turnabout Storm has stated that these bad endings are not to be considered canon. I'd just like to stress that fact.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic and all related characters are copyright Hasbro.
Ace Attorney and all related characters are copyright Capcom.
Turnabout Storm conceived and produced by NeoArtimus.

In short, I own nothing save for this one bad ending idea.

June 5, 2014 Edit: Decided to do some cleaning on this one. Why? No reason.

Comments ( 33 )

:heart: Best bad ending ever! :heart:

I AGREE WITH THE GUY BELOW BEST BAD ENDING EVER, YOU ARE FUCKING AWESOME! I had read a different bad ending and ended up crying a bit. But this was great. :pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy: Have a stache and a nice day :moustache:

I almost cried when the mane 6 were saying their goodbyes:fluttershyouch::applecry:

I smell an alternate universe spin-off series!!

I really like the different approach you took. There are far too many make-you-wanna-cry-like-a-baby kind of sad stories out there like to add yet another one. You have my support for the contest! (Whatever good will that do :twilightsheepish:)

2326607 If my entry is picked, they'll animate it and give it a voice-over. A rather nifty reward, ne?

2326624 Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see this animated; but I'm just a fan with a Snake avatar, I don't think my opinion will have much impact here. :twilightsheepish:

PS: Trans-dimensional immigration... Phoenix will be in for a helluva lot of paperwork. :trollestia:

2326074

Seconded. This would make for a great spinoff series.

Awesome ending! I made something to go along with it, hope you like it! ^_^ [link]

this the only bad ending that should be expanded upon. There's just so many possibilities

Honestly, I REALLY hope this ending wins the contest. Either way it goes for Phoenix, it won't be a total loss for neither him, Rainbow or Twi. To be honest, no matter which bad ending wins, this is a winner to me. :twilightsmile:

I prefer happy endings but this one I like :twilightsheepish::twilightsheepish::twilightsmile::twilightsmile:

You know, that ending wasn't that bad after all. :twilightsmile:

Well, this cheered me right up after I saw the demonstration bad end. Dankeschön!

2467266 Bitte, mein Freund!

(And forgive me if I got the suffixes wrong, I only took three years of German, and nearly flunked the last one :ajsleepy:)

If you aren't interested on expanding this idea, can I get permission to do so? I already have some neat ideas for this.

2691806 I have some ideas for what I'd like to see. But, shoot me a PM with your ideas, and maybe we could work together?

I'll second this. This would be the basis of a great spinoff series.

3136745 I second this.

3330662 Pearl like her bouncy pretzel. It makes her happy. Too bad she can't see it since it's on her head.

You figured out a crucial detail to how Celestia knew about Phoenix at least half a year before it was confirmed, I commend your Powers of Observation and perhaps luck at guessing the truth.

Dude you should do a continuation of this into Trials & Tribulations.

This story really is kind of hilarious in hindsight>>3399024

3466448 Why would it be hilarious? I think it would be a good story.

3466750 I think he's referring to how accurate I was with my guess about how Celestia knew about Phoenix.

3466927 So is it possible for you to make a sequel?

3467155 I want to try to finish Pony Fantasy IV or Infernals first. Two major projects at a time is my limit.

Is it too late to chime in and say that this gets my vote for the best bad end?

Because...yeah. This is good.

...Then again, warm fuzzies always triumphs over depressing chills in my book. Make of that what you will.

3094063
3467157
I second sight's comment. I would like to see something like this after you two finish the sequel!

Very good story! I loved it. I felt some of the dialogue was a little too calm considering they were going to lose Rainbow forever, but hey, it made me laugh when I found out what Rainbow's banishment was so it's all good. :heart::rainbowkiss:

I feel the title of the chapter should just be called The "Bad" Ending.

Ok this was a pretty interesting ending. I like that it wasn’t just a sad ending like a lot of other bad endings I saw did. It actually had a pretty interesting idea.

Like what the other comments said if you ever do a sequel to this on RD’s stay in Phoenix’s world I think it would be pretty cool.

Login or register to comment