• Published 26th Mar 2013
  • 496 Views, 7 Comments

When Will it End? - Whirl Wind



General Wind has returned! What will Whirl Wind do now? Will he seek revenge or will he just let him go?

  • ...
 7
 496

Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine: Home Sweet Home

Derpy’s eyes fluttered open and she felt around for Whirl. When she didn’t find him she panicked and looked around the room. She found him half way out the door lying in a puddle of blood. Her scream could have been heard in Canterlot from here.

“Derpy! Derpy!” Whirl called out as he shook Derpy.

Derpy’s eyes shot open and she hugged Whirl. “Oh Whirl… I had the worst dream…”

“It’s okay, it’s okay… it is all going to be okay.” Whirl said as he rubbed her back.

Whim had managed to wheel himself to their room and open the door. “Is everything okay? I heard Derpy screaming.”

Derpy blushed and closed her teary eyes. “She just had a nightmare. She’s okay.” Whirl explained.

Whim nodded slowly. “I had a pretty restless night too Derpy, don’t worry.”

Derpy nodded her head quickly as she held Whirl. “Don’t let go Whirl… I just need to be sure this is real…”

Whirl chuckled a bit and held her tighter. “It’s real, I’m here. You know, they say if you talk about it, it will go away faster.”

“I… I woke up… and you weren’t there… you were in the door way… covered in blood! I thought you were dead! I thought you died!” Derpy cried.

“Awww, Derpy… I am not going to go anywhere for a year. I am on lockdown. You can be sure that I will be here every time you come home from work, every time you wake up and every time you go to sleep. And even if I wasn’t on lockdown I wouldn’t even risk myseEEELF! WING! BROKEN! AHH!” Whirl shouted in pain as Derpy wrapped a hoof around his broken wing.

Derpy pulled away slowly and Whirl rubbed his wing gently. “Sorry… but if you feel pain then it isn’t a dream.”

“That’s not how it works; you have to feel pain in order for it not to be a dream.”

“Oppse… my bad…”

Whirl chuckled and kissed her cheek. “Are you going back to work today?”

“Yep, I should really get ready.” Derpy said as she got out of bed. “Will you be alright helping Sunny and Whim on your own?”

“Yeah, that will be no problem at all. Besides, I need something to do.”

Derpy started to get her uniform on. “Well you have plenty to do now.”

Whirl watched her get dress and sighed. “I can’t wait until I see you in your wedding dress.”

“And I can’t wait to see you in your suit. You are going to look so handsome. Remember that Rarity is coming by to get your measurements.”

“Right… I will need to straighten up a bit around here before she gets here.”

Derpy put on her saddle bag and walked over to Whirl and gave him a quick kiss. “Then you better get started… I will see you after work handsome.” she said with a wink as she trotted out the door.

Whirl moved off the bed and made it nice and neatly. He walked out of the room and saw Sunny wheeling himself out of the bathroom. “Morning Sunny.” Whirl said with a smile.

“Good morning. What’s for breakfast?” Sunny said with a smile.

“Whatever I feel like making.” Whim’s voice called out from the den.

Whirl and Sunny both looked at each other before heading out to the den to join Whim. “You are going to cook?” Whirl asked with a raised eyebrow.

“Yes, I will cook for you two today. It’s the least I can do for you for letting me stay here until I can walk again.” Whim said with a smile.

“I will be here to help you out though, just in case.”

“Whoa whoa whoa, when did Whim get here?” Sunny asked as he waved his hooves in the air.

“Last night, he came here and expressed concern about being home alone in such a weakened state. So I offered him a place to stay until he could walk again.” Whirl explained simply.

“Oh… well that makes sense. We can get to know him a bit more too. So Whim, what’s for breakfast?”

“I was thinking of making some crystal berry pancakes. Do you have crystal berries?”

“I don’t think we do.” Whirl said in a sorrowful tone.

“It’s okay, I brought some over.” Whim said as he levitated his saddle bag.

“Then why did you ask?” Sunny asked with a chuckle.

“Because I could have made more than three. It will be a small breakfast.”

“That’s okay; I am still full from that muffin pizza.” Whirl said as he pat his belly.

Whim tried to stand and shook his head when he couldn’t. He moved into his wheelchair with ease and smile. “No need to push myself. Thanks for letting me stay here.”

“No problem.” Whirl said as Whim wheeled himself to the kitchen. Whirl followed along to make sure everything went alright, but just ended up sitting down and watching Whim levitate every tool he needed to cook. “Well, looks like that was quite easy for you.”

“Yeah, levitating small things is easy for me but larger things are so much harder. Today I need to go down to my farm and start to make some super fertilized soil for Applejack. Since you can’t come with me I am going to take Sunny with me.”

“Okay, I am sure he would like to get out of the house for a little while.”

Whim flipped the pancakes onto three plates and levitated them to the dinner table. “Well, let’s enjoy some breakfast together first.”

“Sunny, breakfast is done.” Whirl called out as he sat down.

Sunny wheeled himself into the dining room and moved a chair out of the way. “These look great Whim.” he said happily.

“Sunny, how would you like to come out to my rock farm for a little while and hang out while I make some extra fertile soil for Applejack?”

“That sounds like fun.” Sunny said as he took a bite of his pancake.

Whirl had already finished his and took his plate to the kitchen. The others soon finished their as well and cleaned off their plates. Sunny tried to put his plate away himself, but the shelf was too high and he ended up dropping in. “Oh muffins!” he said angrily.

“Sunny, you no longer get to put away plates.” Whirl said as he laughed at the broken plate on the ground. Whirl quickly cleaned up the mess and the others got ready to leave for Whim’s rock farm.

“Now Sunny, I don’t want you to think you are going to be doing any work or anything like that. Your condition is too severe for that.” Whim said as he draped his saddle bag over the back of his wheel chair.

“I wasn’t planning on doing any work; I just wanted to see Ponyville again. Going through town, seeing the vendors and just taking in the peace. Oh, can we stop by town hall? I want to see if Storm will allow me to keep my job after leaving him high and dry the day after he rehired us.”

“Sure, we can spare a few minutes at town hall, although I wouldn’t get your hopes up.”

“Pshaw, I am the best weather analyst they could ever hope for. You should have seen it last time we were there, ponies were scrambling to figure out why it was raining over Sugar Cube Corner but not over at Sweet Apple Acres.” Sunny said with a chuckle.

“But those two are so far apart that nopony would notice, or really care for that matter.”

“They would care when we ended up in a drought because we used up all the rain water before we could get restocked.”

“Hmmm, you make a good point. But how much water could we possible use up if it were just raining over one place?”

“You would be surprised how much could be wasted if we didn’t take care of such things. Did you notice how last year we had a perfect amount of rain during the summer?”

“Yes I did, it was quite nice.”

“That is because I was still working there. This year was disastrous, mostly because of the war but also because of some other bad events that happened. Like when Rarity got her magic on the weather for more than half of Ponyville.”

Whim shuddered a bit. “I am still trying to get over that day. Snow… snow everywhere…”

Sunny chuckled and started to wheel himself to the door. “Well, let’s get moving. I don’t want to wait any longer.”

Whirl ran into the room before they left. “Wait! Can you two run by Applejack’s and pick up a barrel of cider please? I want to surprise Derpy with a romantic dinner tonight and cider would really help out.”

“Sure thing Whirl.” Sunny said happily. When Sunny looked into Whirl’s eyes he felt something strange. “Whirl I… something… I’m not sure I want to leave…”

Whirl smiled and shook his head. “You are starting to feel the connection between us huh? The desperate urge for us to stick together. I felt it the moment I looked into your eyes when you came to Zecora’s hut… Ever since then, whenever we are apart I feel like a piece of me is missing. You’ll get used to it but… you won’t be able to stop missing your brother.”

“I… I wonder why it took me so long to feel it…”

“Maybe this is the first time you are actually happy to be here with me? You should get going; you won’t have enough time to stop by town hall if you stay any longer.”

Sunny turned his chair around and rolled out of the door where Whim was waiting. “There you are! We are going to be hard pressed to get to town hall and Applejack’s in time for me to get the soil done.” Whim said as his horn started to glow. Both of their chairs took off like a four pony carriage. As they left Sunny turned around with a frown and watched as Whirl got smaller in the distance.

I do miss him…” he thought sadly. “Whim, do you have any brothers or sisters?” he asked suddenly.

“I do not. I kind of always thought that it was something in my life that was always missing.” Whim replied with a neutral expression.

“Did you ever have a special connection with a pony that made you miss them whenever you were apart?”

“You mean a marefriend? No, I have never had one.”

“No, I mean like a brother or sister.”

“Again, no I have not and again I feel like it is something I am missing. Why the sudden concern with my family?”

“It’s just… Whirl and I we… have a special connection that is making me want to turn around right now just to make sure nothing happens to him.”

“Sounds intense. You are making me want to have somepony like that even more.”

“But it is kind of painful really. Like a piece of me is missing.”

“But when you are together it is the best feeling in the world right? Like everything is going…”

“…to be alright.” Sunny finished his sentence for him with a smile. “That really does make it worth it. He’s my only brother now and it is nice to know that he is safe at home now.”

“Right.”

“So why did you move to Ponyville? Why not just stay in Canterlot?”

“I wanted to be different. I told you that on the airship.”

“Yes, but there must have been more than that. Why not just stay in the lap of luxury?”

Whim scoffed and shook his head. “Luxury is overrated! Having everything hoofed to you makes you weak and ungrateful!” he said angrily.

“Whoa… sorry if I upset you.”

Whim sighed and shook his head. “No, I’m sorry for shouting. I just don’t want you to think that being a noble is great by any means. You showed me that.”

“No, I showed that what other nobles are like. You can be a noble and do good things for Equestria you know? With that kind of wealth you can make the world a better place for ponies like me and my family.”

“Sunny, I can’t go back. You remember when I told you my family didn’t care that I was moving to Ponyville? I lied. They disowned me. You remember when they told me to keep tradition? I lied. They told me I had betrayed tradition and that I could never return.”

Sunny just looked at Whim with a slack jaw. “They disowned you?!”

“Yes they did. But they are my family and I still love them, even if they don’t love me back.”

“Whim, you need a new family bud, one that will take your feelings into consideration, one that will care for you when you are down and one that will come to your farm to help you out even if they took a spear to their chest.”

“Sunny, I know where you are going with this but don’t. I don’t need a family to survive and they apparently don’t need me.”

“We need you Whim. You saved my life and you helped Whirl get into the Crystal Empire. You saved my LIFE bud. What more can a brother do?”

Whim sighed and they slowed to a stop. “Sunny, why are you doing this?”

“Because you deserve better Whim. You deserve a family, you deserve your friends and you deserve to have somepony to watch your back when you need it.”

“Sunny… thank you. I would be honored to a part of your family.” Whim said with a smile.

“Then I officially proclaim you to be my honorary brother. Now get over here and give me a hug.” Sunny said as he held his hooves open hide for a hug.

“No hugs.” Whim said with a neutral expression.

Sunny put his hooves down with a chuckle. “Okay then. Let’s keep moving, we are almost to town.”

Whim got them going again and they were soon in town, basking in the ambiance. “Sunny, welcome home.”

Sunny looked at all the ponies going about their business and smiled. “Oh it is good to be back.”

They wheeled themselves over to town hall and were stopped by the stairs. “Well… it seems like we are going to have to come back later when they build a ramp.” Whim said with a chuckle.

“Nu uh, I am going inside.” Sunny said as he started to stand. “If you hear screaming for a doctor, something went wrong.” Sunny started to climb the stairs and Whim was just staring in shock at what he was seeing and hearing. He walked inside and saw that things were a bit frantic. Storm was shuffling through the mess on his desk when he saw Sunny come in.

“Whirl? Wait… what? When did you get that wound?” Storm asked as Sunny walked up to his desk.

“No, no. I am Sunny. I was with Whirl that day we came by to see if we could get jobs here again. Speaking of which, do we still have those?” Sunny asked confidently.

“Yeah, if you two are willing to come back after you both heal and get off of your house arrest. Why aren’t you yellow and why do you look like Whirl?”

“Long story short, we are both the same pony and if I were to explain that you would just get confused like everypony else.”

“Okaaaay, well when you are better just come back in and get to work. You two are the best weather analysts I have ever had.”

“Thanks, now can you help me back to my wheelchair outside before I fall over?” Sunny said with a chuckle.

“Sure thing, Cloud Kicker, come and help me get Sunny here back to his wheelchair outside.” Storm said as he stood up.

Cloud Kicker had just walked in and was a bit confused as the why Storm called Whirl Sunny but she didn’t complain. “Hey Whirl, how did you get that chest wound?” she asked as she wrapped a wing over Sunny’s back.

“I’m Sunny, Whirl’s duplicate. I need to dye my mane and stuff. If you want the whole story then go out to his house and he will explain… until then… keep walking.” Sunny said as he started to stumble.”

The very confused Cloud Kicker continued to help him out and as they walked outside she prepared to help him down the stairs. “So… you aren’t Whirl, but you are Whirl?”

“No, I am Sunny but I am a duplicate of Whirl… kind of like a twin.”

“Oh cool. Well, tell Whirl I said hi!” Cloud said happily as she helped him into his chair.

“Thank you two. I will tell Whirl you both said hi.” Sunny said happily as he started to wheel himself over to Whim who was still in shock that Sunny just blatantly stood up and walked inside despite his injuries. “Whim, why are you staring at me like that?”

“Are you trying to get me into trouble with Whirl?! You just did everything he asked me to make sure you didn’t do!” Whim said in an annoyed tone.

“Did I? Uhhh… sorry?”

“It’s fine, I put glue on your seat so you can’t get up again.” Whim said with a smirk.

Sunny’s eyes widened and he tried to stand up, but he couldn’t. Little did he know, Whim was using his magic to hold him down and not glue. “Aww, Whim… really? Come on…”

Whim chuckled and started to move the chairs towards Sweet Apple Acres. “Comfy?” he asked sarcastically.

Sunny grunted and gave up trying to get out of the chair. “Yeah, I guess I have to be.”

“Hey, now that I am your honorary brother I have to keep you safe.”

“Well no pony said you have to glue me to a chair.”

“Whirl did. Well, not directly but close enough.”

Sunny chuckled a bit. “How are you going to get me out of the chair when I want to go to bed or the bathroom?”

“It’s magic glue, I will just dispel it when I am done laughing… I mean… when you need to whatever.”

“You are hilarious… Don’t tell Applejack or Big Macintosh you glued me to the chair.” Sunny said as they reached Sweet Apple Acres. Whim wheeled them both through the field to the barn where Big Macintosh was carrying a load of apples to their apple cellar. “Hello Big Macintosh, how are you doing?”

“Well howdy Wh… Wait, are yall that Sunny fella Applejack told me about? Cuz I remember Whirl havin’ a blue mane.”

“Thanks for noticing, I am Sunny but I do remember apple bucking with you. Thanks for helping me with my anger by the way.”

Big Macintosh raised an eyebrow. “Wait… what? I thought yall were Sunny. How in the hay were you apple buckin’ with me?”

“Well, that was before I was separated from Whirl. We both share that memory.”

“What?”

Sunny sighed and shook his head. He told Big Macintosh the whole story and he seemed to understand. “Did you understand that?”

“Eeyup. Mighty nice to meet you Sunny and nice to meet you too Mr. Whim.”

“So Whirl sent us over to get him a barrel of apple cider. Do you have any left?”

“Eeyup, this one is on the house.”

“What? Why?” Sunny asked as he dropped his bits on the ground. “Darn it… Whim, a little help please.”

Whim used his magic and levitated the bits back into their bag and gave it to Sunny. “There you go Sunny.”

“Well, Applejack and ah have decided that we still haven’t paid yall back for helping us get our apples stored in record time.”

“You helped Whirl get a lighter sentence during the trial. I think you have repaid him.”

“Now if what yall just told me is true then we haven’t repaid you yet. Ah can have the barrel to Whirl today.” Big Mac said as he turned to go get the barrel from his barn.

Sunny thought about it for a second and shook his head. “Big Mac, I insist you take my bits for this barrel. By helping my brother Whirl you have repaid me in full and I know you could use the bits to help you get through winter.”

Big Mac froze in his track and turned back around. “Thank you kindly Sunny. You are a very kind pony for doing this.” he said as he took the bag of bits from Sunny.

“Really, it’s the least I can do. If you ever need anything just let me know and I will do my best to help out.”

“Oh, can you tell Applejack that the soil will be delivered tomorrow morning, bright and early?” Whim asked with a smile.

“Eeyup.” Big Macintosh said happily.

“Thank you. Sunny, we need to be off if I am going to get the soil started on time.”

“Yup, thanks again Big Macintosh. Whirl will be at home to receive the barrel. Oh, make sure it is there before three thirty!” Sunny called out as they were wheeled off.

“Eeyup!” Big Macintosh called out as he waved goodbye.

“Sorry for leaving so quickly it’s just I really have to get started soon if I am going to be on time.” Whim said apologetically.

“It’s alright; I was able to instruct him.” Sunny said happily.

“So why did you pay him after he said it was on the house? Won’t you need to save all the bits you can while you are not working?”

“Because the Apple family has already done enough for us and I felt like we owe them. I know Whirl would have done the same.”

“Sometimes I think you are too honorable and kind. Sometimes it is good to take advantage of the kindness of others.”

“I know that I shouldn’t do that all the time but… it’s a good habit to have. I am not sure that I could depend on others kindness without regret.”

“It’s not about that, it’s about survival. You shouldn’t put yourself at risk to be kind to others.”

“You should if the pony you are trying to help deserves it. I would do the same for anypony, especially you and the rest of my family.”

“Suit yourself. I think I would have just taken the barrel though.”

Sunny chuckled a bit. “Most ponies would, but I know how to deal with a financial crisis and I am not sure if they can even afford to attempt to handle a financial crisis. They run an entire business and all I do is live.”

“I guess that’s true. I guess you did make the right call on that one.”

Sunny smiled and shook his head. “It wasn’t about making the right or wrong call, it was about being kind.”

“Really? That is all you wanted to do was be kind? It had nothing to do with money?”

“This is really hard for you to believe isn’t it?”

“Well, yes. Considering where I am from can you really be that surprised about that?”

“Yes, yes I can. Haven’t you even done something just for the sake of being kind? Didn’t you save me to be kind?”

“Well, no. I guess not. I saved you because you are my friend’s friend and you were my mutual acquaintance.”

“There was nothing else?” Sunny asked sadly.

“Of course there was. I am a lieutenant in the Equestrian military and it was my duty to protect Equestria. Saving you helped save Equestria. Also, I care about your life and everypony else’s life in this grand nation.”

“Well that is honorable. Glad to know I helped you out.” Sunny said sadly as he looked away.

“Hey, don’t think that I don’t appreciate you are anything. You are a very good friend and a good brother. I am very happy to know you because you are kind of an inspiration… to me… and everypony…”

Sunny’s eyes widened and he looked at Whim. “An inspiration? Me? Yeah right, are you crazy?”

“You really are. All of the things that you have been through and you still manage to somehow keep a pleasant disposition as well as be as kind as you can to everypony. Most ponies would have given up long ago.” Sunny just started at him with a blank expression and blinked a couple of times. “Why are you staring at me like that?”

“How did I inspire you?”

“Well… You inspired me to go back to my farm today even though I am in no real condition to work. You inspired me to move forward.”

Sunny smiled and looked ahead. “I win.”

“You… win?” Whim asked curiously.

“My father and I made a bet. I said that one day I would inspire others as a Wonderbolt and he said I would never inspire anypony to do anything. If I won, I would get our great grandfather’s sword. If he won, I would quit trying to be a Wonderbolt.”

“Well, you get your great grandfather’s sword. Where is it?”

“In… Appleoosa… in my parent’s house.”

“Are you going to go and get it?”

“No… I am not. Everything is being shipped here soon. Whirl and I will have to split up what was left behind by our family.”

“That must be hard for you two; to have to separate that last bits of your family’s possessions amongst you two.”

“Thanks, you really know how to cheer a pony up…” Sunny said sadly.

They soon approached Whim’s rock farm and came to a steady halt. “Sorry about that. I can be rather blunt at times.”

“It’s alright.” Sunny said as he pushed himself forward. “So, what do you want me to do?”

“You aren’t doing anything but going over to Flare’s house to visit.”

“That’ll work! See you later Whim!” Sunny said as he excitedly wheeled himself over to Flare’s home. Whim simply shook his head and got to work creating his ultra-fertile soil. Sunny got to Flare’s home and quickly knocked on the door.

“Whoooo iiiissss iiiiit?” Air’s voice sang from inside.

“Sunny Plaaaaaaiiiiins!” Sunny sang to play along.

The door swung open. “Oh Sunny, come on in.” Air said politely as she held the door open. “Flare’s not here right now; he is pulling a double shift at the post office today. He has been very busy ever since Whim left but now that Whim is back he can get back onto a normal schedule again.”


Sunny wheeled himself to their den and relaxed in his chair. “So how are you and the fillies doing?”

“Great, just great. They have been playing upstairs all day long, pretending to be the royal princesses with cardboard horns. It is just so adorable.”

“I need to ask a favor from you. Can you order a wedding cake for Whirl’s wedding? He is terrible at choosing cakes and I know Derpy will insist some kind of giant muffin so I was hoping to get you to do it.”

“Of course we can order it for you. I know what a mare wants for a wedding cake.” Air said with a wink.

“Great, thank you.”

“Is there anything else I can get you while you are here? Lemonade, iced tea or a water or something?”

“Do you know where that box of wedding decorations is? I want to try to get things set up as soon as possible.”

“Sure thing, but I thought Whirl was under house arrest. How is he going to get married?”

“I am going to try to convince the council to allow him to get married where he wants to. Freedom for one day.”

“Sounds like a good plan.” Air said as she hovered out of the room. “I’ll be right back with the box!” she called out from the top of the stairs.

The sound of little hooves could be heard clambering down the stairs. “I don’t want to play with you anymore! You always make me the bad pony!” Star said as she ran into the den with tears in her eyes.

“Hey, what’s wrong Star?”

“Nothing Uncle Whirl… Solar keeps making me the bad pony in our games.” Star said sadly.

“I’m actually Sunny, Whirl is my twin.” Sunny said with a smile. “Come here and tell me everything.”

Star walked over with her head down and sat down in front of Sunny. “Solar is always the princess and I never get to be. She keeps making me a bad pony like Nightmare Moon.”

“Awww, Star I am sorry to hear that… but did you know that I used to be a bad pony once?”

Star looked up to Sunny with shock in her eyes. “You did?! What happened?!”

Sunny chuckled and told her the entire story of what had happened since the day he met Luna. She listened in awe of the epic tale and even shed a tear or two as the story went along. “… and then I was able to return home at last with this cool chest wound.”

“Whoaaaaa…” Star said in awe. “So even the worst of ponies can turn good?”

“Well, not all ponies can be turned back to good but never give up the hope that someday you might be able to call them a friend.”

“You are my favorite villain ever! I’m going to go tell Solar right now and be the EVIL GENERAL WIND! Raaaaawr!” she said happily as she ran up the stairs.

“Make sure it has a happy ending!” Sunny called out as Air hovered down the stairs with a box.

“Make sure what has a happy ending?” she asked as she set the box down.

“Their game. I told Star about what has happened over the last year and she just loved it. Don’t worry, I kept it foal safe.” Sunny said quickly as he saw the look of rage on Air’s face.

“You better hope they don’t have nightmares.”

“I’m not the one who told them about Nightmare Moon.” Sunny said with a chuckle.

“Wait, what?! Who told them about… FLARE!” Air shouted angrily.

Flare was just coming through the door when his wife shouted his name. She hadn’t spotted him, but Sunny did and signaled him to turn around and run. Air saw Sunny’s signal and turned around to see Flare standing at the door. “Uhhh… hello dear, what seems to be th—OOMPH!”

Air had tackled him to the ground and was giving him a super strong bear hug. “I said no scary stories! Why did you tell the girls about Nightmare Moon?!”

Flare was struggling to breath but managed to wheeze out an answer. “Because… I didn’t want them… to get scared… on Nightmare Night!”

Air release her death grip. “Oh… right. It is coming up isn’t it?”

Flare inhaled deeply. “Yes… yes it is…” he panted.

Air helped him back up to his hooves. “You need to help Sunny set up Whirl’s wedding thing. When were you planning on having the wedding Sunny?”

“This weekend. I am going to make it a surprise wedding.”

“What? You’re as crazy as Whirl…” Flare said as he sat down on the sofa.

“We can do it; I just need a little help is all.”

“Well, I guess I can help you. I technically owe you one for helping me get that teacup for Air.”

“What do you mean you guess you can help him? Get your flank moving hun.” Air said as she smacked Flare on his flank.

****

Whirl was dusting around the house as he had nothing else to do at home but clean or stare at his Wonderbolts collectables. He got bored and started to play catch with himself by throwing the duster around the room and catching it before it hit the ground. A foul throw caused him to dive across the room in a desperate attempt to catch the duster and he hit the side table next to the sofa and smash the lamp that was on top of it. At the same time Derpy had just opened the door in time to see Whirl crash to the ground. “Whirl, what they hay are you doing?”

Whirl sprung up and hugged Derpy. “I am just playing around… I broke a lamp!” he said happily.

“Yes you did, why are you so happy about that?” Derpy asked in a confused tone.

“Because I am so bored! A smashed lamp is the highlight of my day other than you walking through the door! I’ll go clean it up!” Whirl said as he dashed off to get a broom.

“One day and he has already gone insane.” she thought as she took off her saddle back and hat before hanging it on the coat hanger. She walked into the kitchen and found Whirl digging through the broom closet. The broom however, was not inside. Instead it was behind the door to the broom closet.

“Derpy, have you seen the broom?” he asked as he dug through the mess.

“Yup.” she said as she poked his flank with the end of the broom.

Whirl jumped and hit his head on a shelf in the closet. He turned around while rubbing his head to see Derpy holding the broom. “Thanks, now off to clean up the mess!” he said happily as he bounced into the den.

Derpy giggled and shook her head. She got a glass of water and sighed contently. Suddenly Whirl dashed into the kitchen, took her glass from her and smashed it on the ground. “Whirl! What the hay?!”

“Look! Another mess! I got it!” he said as he started to sweep.

Derpy started to laugh and stopped him from cleaning. “Whirl, how about we go outside and sit on the roof for a little while. You seem a bit wound up.” she said as she started to pull him out the door. When they got outside Derpy flew up to the roof and Whirl just sat in the yard.

“How am I supposed to get up there?” Whirl asked in a confused tone.

Derpy had completely forgotten about Whirl’s broken wing. “Uhhh… just think of it as a challenge to find a way up here. There, I just gave you something to do.”

Whirl’s attitude perked up immediately and he bounced a bit before running around the house to try and find a way up. He found the logs he had stored by his house for the winter and started to stack them up in front of the house to build a makeshift staircase. “I got this!” he said enthusiastically.

Derpy simply laid on her back and relaxed as the sun washed over her. “That’s nice Whirl, when you get up here we can cuddle.” she said lazily.

Whirl continued to stack the logs and got about half way up before a loud voice sounded from behind him causing the logs to fall over. He turned around to see who had startled him when he was face to face with Big Macintosh. “Howdy there Whirl! Sunny sent me on over with this here cider!” he said happily as he placed the large barrel of cider on the ground.

Whirl smiled and lifted the barrel onto his back. “Awesome. I assume Sunny paid you right?”

“Well I told him that he didn’t need to but he paid anyway.”

“Good, because I wouldn’t want him to take advantage of our friendship.”

“No need to explain. Sunny already did that for ya. Whelp, I need to be gettin’ back to the farm. Yall have yourself a nice day.” Big Macintosh said happily as he gave Whirl a goodbye hoofshake.

Whirl smiled and nodded before turning around and looking up at Derpy on the roof. “I have cider honey!”

Derpy waved her hoof in the air lazily. “That’s nice…” she said as if she didn’t really hear him at all. In a way she kind of didn’t as she was so relaxed on the roof.

Whirl carried the cider inside and set it in the den before walking back outside and started stacking the logs again. Once they were in place he slowly climbed up to the roof and laid down next to Derpy, cuddling her softly. “I made it.”

Derpy hummed with approval and returned his cuddle. “That’s nice, I just want to relax though.”

“What else would we do?” Whirl asked curiously.

Derpy giggled and whispered into his ear. As she whispered Whirl turned a bright red in an intense blush. “…but that will all have to wait until after we are married.”

“Oh… Derpy.” Whirl said as he kissed her forehead.

“Whirl! Get your tail down here! I need to have a word with you!” a familiar voice called out to him.

Whirl sighed and leaned up to see his boss, Storm Clouds. “Oh, hello Storm. I’ll be right down.” he said as he stood up and carefully made his way down the logs. He trotted up to Storm with a smile. “What can I do for you?”

“I need you to come back to work, really badly. I know you are under house arrest but you can work out of your home right?” Storm pleaded.

“Well… sure? The weather captains would have to fly to my house to pick up the reports though and they would be pretty hard pressed to make it back to their designated zones.”

“We all discussed it and we all agree that things are getting out of hoof at town hall. Please Whirl, we really need you back… Sunny can help too! We will pay you both so it will go smoother!”

Whirl chuckled and smiled. “Sure thing Storm, Sunny and I can start whenever you…”

“Great! Here is this month’s statistics as calculated by the Mayor, last week’s weather reports and last week’s actual reports. Thank you so much!” Storm said as he shoved stacks of papers into Whirl’s hooves.

Whirl looked like a desk with all the papers in his hooves. “No problem… I will get started right away.” he said as he started to slowly walk back towards his house, trying his best to keep the papers from falling all over his yard.

Storm sighed in relief and took off to the skies. Derpy sighed and looked down at Whirl. “Do you need any help with that?” she said with a giggle.

“Nope, I got this.” he said as he walked through the door. The house was an obstacle course as Whirl carefully navigated around the many objects in the house with ease. However the door to his study was locked as he held the papers off to the side and tried to open the door with his mouth. “DERPY! I need some help!” he called out.

The clatter of hooves could be heard on the roof and then soon ceases. The door to the study opened and Derpy guided him through the door. “That’s a lot of work Whirl… are you sure you can handle it?”

“When Sunny gets here we will blast through it like it was a third of the size it is now… but he will need a desk! Derpy, can you make a run into town for a desk? Here, take these bits and then some more for them to deliver it today.”

Derpy giggle and shook her head. “Alright, but when I get home there had better be muffins… or else.” she emphasized ‘or else’ with an evil smirk.

Whirl chuckled and sat down at his desk. He pulled out his calendar, a chalk board, some chalk, a quill, some ink and some parchment and got to work.

Derpy placed the bits in her saddle bag and put it on. She started to trot out the door when she say something dart behind a tree in their yard. With a raised eyebrow she walked over to the tree and looked around it. When she didn’t see anything she shrugged and moved on thinking it was her imagination. Up in the tree Flare had managed to lift Sunny up to the first branch in his wheel chair. “What are we… ugh… doing here again?” Flare asked in a whisper as he strained to keep Sunny balanced on the branch.

“I need to pick something up so that I can have Luna convince the council to allow Whirl to have a day off of his house arrest so he can get married.” Sunny explained.

Once the coast was clear Flare lowered Sunny down to the ground and collapsed on the ground. “You do that… I am just going to rest here.”

“Sure thing, be right back.” Sunny said as he started to wheel himself inside. At the door he stood up out of his chair so he could sneak. He slowly made his way to his room where Luna’s diamond laid on his side table. With a couple of light steps he made it over and grabbed the diamond before opening the window and climbing out. When he got outside he saw Whirl popping wheelies in his wheelchair. “Oh crap…”

Whirl spun around on two wheels and stopped as he faced Sunny. “Somepony was sneaking around.” he said with a smirk. “If it is a secret I don’t want to know why, what I do want to know is why you are up out of your wheelchair.”

Sunny sighed and slowly made his way to the wheelchair. Whirl got out and help Sunny ease into it. “Sorry, Whirl. It is a secret, I can’t tell you and I wouldn’t want to. Talk to you again later.” he said as he wheeled away from the house. When Whirl went back inside Sunny signaled Flare to get him out of there as quickly as possible and Flare started to push Sunny’s wheelchair as he flew.

“So what did you tell Whirl?” Flare asked happily.

“That it was a secret. Take me far from town, where nopony can find us.”

“Sure thing. Is it okay if I ask why?”

“I need to be alone for a moment so I can talk to Luna.”

“Oh, okay.”

Flare wheeled them out of town and out to the middle of an open field. “This will be fine Flare. Can you leave me alone for a little while? Come back in ten minutes or so?” Sunny asked softly.

“Yeah, sure thing.” Flare said as he took off back to town.

“Luna, are you there?”

“Yes Sunny, what is it?” Luna’s voice sounded from the diamond.

“Can I ask you a favor?”

“Indeed you can, what is it that you need?”

“Can you talk to the council about letting Whirl have a day off from his house arrest for one day so that he can get married?”

There was a pause as Luna thought about how she could convince the council to do such a thing. “I can try.”

Sunny smiled and gave the diamond a kiss. “Thank you Luna.”

Luna giggled and nodded her head. “It’s no problem.”

****

“That’s perfect Flare! Just like I imagined and Whim, that statue is looking great, keep it up!” Sunny says confidently.

The wedding was almost ready to go, all that was needed now was the word from Luna. “Sunny, do you really think the council will allow Whirl to come out for a day?” Whim asks as he finishes the statue of Derpy and Whirl flying together.

“I have no doubt.” Sunny says with a smile. He pulls out the diamond from his mane and taps it. “Hellooo? Are you there Luna?”

“Yes, I just got out of the meeting with the council… and I have some bad news.” Luna says sadly.

Sunny frowns and shakes his head. “They didn’t let him have the time…?” he asked sadly.

“Oh no they did but… they want somepony to take his place for the day… they want… you.” Luna says with a frown.

Sunny’s ears perk up. “That’s fine! That’s really fine!” he says as he wheels himself towards his home. “I’ll go tell Whirl right now so he can get ready!” he says excitedly.

****

Whirl and Derpy were slowly dancing in their den. The room’s furniture had been pushed up against the walls and a record was playing one of Octavia’s concertos. “You are getting much better at this.” Derpy said lovingly as Whirl spun her around slowly.

“Well, I have a wonderful teacher.” Whirl replied with a slight chuckle. He leaned Derpy back and looked into her eyes. They seemed to sparkle with joy as their faces moved closer, but just as their lips met a loud knock on the door interrupted them. Whirl let out a sigh and said, “To be continued…” before leaning Derpy back onto her hooves and walking over to the door. “Who is it?” he asked with a smile.

“The muffin pony!” Sunny said with a slight laugh.

Within seconds Derpy had push Whirl out of the way and opened the door. “Ah! Sunny! You said you were the muffin pony!” she said with a grumble.

Sunny chuckled and wheeled himself inside. “Well I did bring muffins to celebrate. You two are getting married this weekend.” he said casually as he pulled out a small bag of muffins and set them on the table.

Whirl closed the door and sat down in his favorite chair. “Sunny, unless you are going to pull out a wedding from that bag; I don’t think we will be ready in time for this weekend. I mean, look at this place, it’s not prepared to service all of our friends and various family.” he said with a chuckle.

Sunny smirked as Derpy fluttered down onto Whirl’s lap, where she proceeded to take a muffin and took a big bite out of it with a smile. “Oh the wedding isn’t going to be here, it is at the park where you wanted it.” Sunny said with a grin.

Whirl let out a loud laugh. “You do know you injured a lung, not your brain right. You can’t have forgotten that I am under house arrest. So how do you expect the groom to be there?”

Sunny shook his head and took a muffin. “Oh, I just had Luna talk to the council and we worked out a deal.”

“What kind of deal?” Derpy asked with a confused look on her face. “Is Whirl going to have to wear a paper bag over his head or something, because I think that would make him look better.”

Sunny started to laugh loudly and Whirl smirked. “Sunny, we have the same face so she called you ugly too.” Whirl said with a chuckle.

Sunny thought about it for just a split second. “Suddenly it isn’t as funny. But back to the point, the council said if I stayed home for the day of your wedding then you could take the day to do whatever you want!” he said excitedly.

Whirl had a dumbstruck look on his face from the news that he had just heard. Derpy placed the paper bag that the muffins had come in over Whirl’s head slowly with a smile and started humming a wedding song. “Thank you very much Sunny!” she said as she tried to imitate Whirl’s voice while drawing a crude smiley face on the bag. “Yes thank you Sunny, you have done so much for us.” she said in her normal voice as she finished her drawing.

Sunny let out a laugh and shook his head. “No need to thank me you two. I need to make a few more preparation for the…” he started before a knock at the door interrupted him. “Ah, that must be Rarity to get you both measured for your outfits.” Sunny opened the door and it was indeed Rarity.

“I came as soon as I got word, congratulations Wh… Why is there a bag on your head darling?” Rarity asked as her eyes fell on Whirl.

Derpy had gotten up and walked over to Rarity and gave her a small hug. “Thanks for coming over Rarity, I am so happy that you are making my wedding dress and Whirl’s formal wear. As you can see, Whirl is very happy also.” Derpy said with a giggle as she gestured to Whirl.

Rarity couldn’t help herself. Despite it being un-lady like she pulled out her makeup kit and outlined the lips with lipstick and shadowed the eyes. “Much better, and I think he is ready to go now.” she said as the whole room broke out in laughter.

Whirl let out a slight laugh himself and pulled off the bag. “Okay, enough fun at my expense. Thank you for stopping by Rarity. My father’s suit could use some fitting.” he said with a smile.

“Not at all dear, you are all good friends of mine and when Sunny here left a note on the door of my boutique I gathered my emergency sewing supplies and came right over. Ladies first, Derpy, come with me and we will get you measured.” she said as she trotted down the hallway to their room.

Derpy giggled once more at the bag and followed Rarity to the room where she promptly closed the door. Whirl looked over to Sunny with a smile. “So, you won’t be at my wedding then, I see how it is.” he said with a smirk.

“Oh yeah, because you know how much I hate you. Remember when you gave me a knife when I was still ‘evil’.” Sunny said with a chuckle.

“Psh, not nearly as bad when I was holding you hostage and Bloody Marey stabbed you in the chest with a spear. How is that feeling by the way?”

“Not healing nearly as well as your wing did. What has it been… three weeks and your wing is all better while my wound still has to have stitches. Dr. Ray said that it will be another week before they can be taken out.”

“Well I am just glad that you are alive. Thank you for doing this for Derpy and I, it means…”

“… a lot, I know.” Sunny finished for him. “I also know that you would have done the same for me.”


“Without hesitation.” Whirl said with a smile.

****

The days leading up to the wedding were thankfully uneventful, except for the debacle with the ice sculpture being delivered three days early, but that was fixed by Whim who preserved it in stone until today. Whim trotted over to the small gazebo Whirl was getting ready in that had been covered as a private room for today. Whirl was pacing around the gazebo with a nervous expression and he was sweating a bit. “Whirl, are you getting cold hooves?” Whim asked with a chuckle.

Whirl just shook his head and continued to pace. “I love her, I love her, I love her more than anything. Don’t mess up the vows, don’t mess up the vows, don’t mess up the vows.” He said over and over.

Whim chuckled and stopped Whirl from pacing. “You are going to be fine. Just remember that she is as nervous as you are.” he said as he used his magic to straighten Whirl’s bow tie. “No matter what happens you will be married today and everything will be fine.”

Whirl smiled and nodded. “Thanks bud… I just wish Sunny was here but… I am grateful that he stayed home for us.” he said with a sigh. “But I am glad you took his place as best stallion.”

“Really? I am surprised you didn’t ask Flare, you two are the best of friends.”

“Flare said that he wanted to just be here, he said that he had been best man before at his brother’s wedding. He said you would be the better choice.”

Whim smiled softly and nodded. “Thank you, it is a great honor.”

Suddenly music could be heard and they both dashed out of the gazebo and up to the alter. When they arrived they stood in their positions and looked down the aisle. Derpy was in a magnificent white dress laced in pearls and a veil that matched. As she reached the alter her father gave her a slight kiss on her cheek and gave Whirl a nod. Derpy smiled at Whirl then they both faced the priest who began to speak. “Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to bring together these two amazing ponies.”

“So you were almost late huh?” Derpy asked in a whisper as the priest spoke.

“I was… getting some last minute pointers from my best stallion.” Whirl whispered in reply.

“Getting cold hooves huh?” she asked jokingly.

“No, I just don’t want to mess up my vows…”

“Well the priest did just ask you to read your aloud, so what do you have?”

Whirl blushed and spoke up. “Derpy, we have known each other for so long but I feel like it has been an eternity. And I have felt the love for you that had always been there but was hidden behind fear and doubt. A lot of things happened to me… things that I am not proud of and things that I am proud of but… mumnthing….” he started to feel dizzy and turned a bit pale.

“But nothing was so special, as the time we first kissed…” Derpy finished for him with tears in her eyes.

Whirl smiled and nodded. The priest continued and Whirl and Derpy both clipped the rings on the base of each other’s wings. “You may now kiss the bride.” the priest said.

Whirl kissed Derpy on the lips softly, the music started to play, and everypony started to cheer and throw seeds over the two. They walked down the aisle together and into a waiting carriage. They leaned against each other and embraced each other gently. “I thought I was going to faint there for a moment…” Whirl said with a chuckle.

Derpy let out a soft giggle. “There were a few moments for me as well… But we are married now and we get to spend the rest of our lives together…”

“That’s all I ever wanted…”

“That and I am sure the sex will be great…”

Whirl’s ears perked up and his eyes widened in surprise.

****