• Published 25th Mar 2013
  • 2,031 Views, 72 Comments

Single Parent Seeks Special Somepony - angelofrombelow



Berry Punch wants a date... but she will have difficulty finding anypony.

  • ...
7
 72
 2,031

Chapter 6

There were a couple of seconds’ brief peace as Berry woke from sleep, her eyes fluttering open as the sun glistened beyond the curtains covering her window.

Then pain cracked through her skull as last night’s drinking caught up with her. She grimaced, putting her hooves over her face in an attempt to blot out the light. Even in the darkness that provided her, flashes of white flared as her headache pulsated. She let out a small groan as she fought the urge to be sick.

And then she remembered there was a changeling in her front room.

She groaned again, more protracted and pitiful this time. She was in no state to deal with a problem like that today, but she had to. The fate of Ponyville lay in the hooves of a badly hungover mother-of-one.

She couldn’t tell what the time was but, judging by the brightness of the sun, it was well into morning. No matter how she felt, she would have to get up soon.

Gently moving her hind legs, she kicked away the duvet and uncovered herself, hoping that would give her the motivation she needed to get up. It didn’t work. All she wanted to do was try to get back to sleep. In any other circumstance, that would have been the most sensible option.

She shuffled to the edge of her bed and reached for the floor, feeling as though she was stepping over the precipice of a cliff. Upon making touchdown, she stood still for a moment, trying to hold herself steady. She felt wobbly, as of her centre of gravity had shifted and the rest of her body hadn’t caught up.

Then she pushed the bedroom door open and went out to face the morning. Surprise was lying a few yards away, back in her pony form and her head nestled between her forelegs. She looked up as Berry entered.

“You’re awake,” she said. “I wondered when you’d get up. I wanted to knock when the sun rose, but I have no idea how long your kind sleep for.”

Berry mumbled an incoherent response and stumbled towards her kitchen area, which was in a corner of the same room. Orange juice always helped to alleviate her symptoms – when a hangover was this bad, drinking something as plain as water only served to bring attention to the bad taste in her mouth.

Surprise stood up, concerned. “Is there a problem? You’re not having second thoughts about this, are you?”

Berry shook her head and immediately regretted it – the sudden motion worsened the pain. “I have a hangover.”

The changeling frowned. “A hangover? What’s that?”

“It’s an after-effect from the alcohol I drank last night. I had too much, and now I’m paying for it,” she said, rummaging through the fridge.

“Hm. I’ve heard of alcohol, of course, but I’d never seen its effects in action until last night. From what I’d been told, it was a wholly positive thing that made folk happy and more sociable, but that’s clearly not the case.”

“I was in a bad mood already and the drink made me more impulsive. I did things that I regret,” Berry said, speaking on auto-pilot. She froze when she realised the implications of what she had said. “I mean at the bar, not in this house.”

Surprise wandered over and watched her fixing together a makeshift hangover cure.

“Interesting,” she said, observing Berry’s symptoms. “It’s almost as if you’ve been poisoned. But if this is what alcohol does to you, why drink it?”

The irritated earth pony swigged down the last gulp of orange juice and wiped a hoof over her mouth. “Given what happened last night, do you really think this is what we should be talking about?”

Surprise looked down and scratched the floor with her hoof. “I guess not.” She gave a nervous sigh. “I’ve been thinking it over, working out how best to go about this. I swear, I must have worn a groove into the floor with all the pacing I’ve been doing.”

Berry nodded gently, the enormity of their task dawning on her once more. She attempted a jovial tone. “Sounds like you’ve been up all night. And you’re not even tired. I’m jealous.”

Surprise shook her head. “Oh, I don’t need sleep. I’m a creature of magic, remember? Natural laws don’t apply.”

Berry’s mouth slowly gaped open as her words sunk in. “Wait, you really have been up all night? I’ve been asleep in there while you…”

She smiled weakly. “I thought it best not to tell you beforehand. Didn’t want you to worry.”

Once she had recovered from the initial shock, Berry felt a small confidence boost. Surprise had been awake for hours and hadn’t made a move against her. If she had needed any further proof that the changeling was determined to make this peace effort work, this was it.

“So, the only way I can see this working is by me integrating into your society. You’re going to have to introduce me to your friends,” said Surprise. “And then… and then I’ll have to reveal my true identity. We’ll have to soften them up first, let them know the hardships my kind is facing. If, after that, they’re still able to accept me, then we’ll know that this plan has a chance.”

“You’re right.” Berry was worried and her hangover wasn’t helping her anxiety. “Problem is, I may have alienated quite a few of them last night. Those two ponies who came calling – they were Bon Bon and Lyra. I threw around quite a few accusations and I upset them pretty bad. The bar was crowded, so the stories will be spreading round. Why did you pretend to be Lyra, why did you say those things to me?”

Surprise clenched her teeth, clearly nervous. “I acted hastily. I wanted to get you alone as quickly as possible so I could verify your identity.

“I saw you talking with Lyra when she let you in her house, so eavesdropped on your conversation and tried to make use of what I found out. I figured that if I could create some sort of crisis, something you’d have to immediately deal with, we’d go somewhere private and chat. Then I’d be able to act on whatever I found out.”

She bowed her head apologetically. “I didn’t think about what the consequences would be if I failed. I was only concerned by getting the mission completed as quickly as possible. Now I’ve made things more difficult.”

Berry was holding a hoof to her forehead, trying to ease the pain. If it hadn’t been there already, it would have been after her next thought. “Oh no. I promised I’d speak with them today. They’re going to be looking for me and I told Bon Bon about you yesterday, that I thought you fancied me. My best friend Horte told me about you as well. Questions are going to be asked. Ponies are going to assume.”

“You’re right,” she said after a moment’s thought, her tone growing more positive. “So we already have a cover story. We have a way you can introduce me.”

She put her front hooves on the kitchen counter, becoming more enthusiastic as she spoke. “We’ll build on the background I’d invented for myself. I’m a pegasus from Manehattan, looking for a good time. I met you last night and now we’re thinking about getting together, but taking things slow. I’ve encouraged you to go out and set things right, and apologise to everypony. There! They’ll be on my side from the start.”

“I… right.” Berry sighed and tried to regulate her thoughts so she could build a coherent argument. “Two things. One: taking things slow? Nopony’ll believe that of me for a second. I have a reputation for jumping in head first. Two: what are Lyra and Bon Bon going to think if they see me with a new mare the day after I tried to ruin their relationship? Going back to my first point, what if they realise – or just jump to the conclusion – that you were round my house last night?”

Surprise gave the matter brief consideration. “Just say that we spoke at the bar and I came round this morning. I doubt anypony’s been watching your front door all day. It won’t matter if we’re seen leaving the house together.”

She smiled in an attempt to cheer Berry up. “Things are falling into place naturally. I’ve been tackling my mission head-on so far and I’ve no intention of stopping now. Let’s go and meet Horte. You need to introduce me.”

The earth pony felt her stomach rumble and was unsure whether this was down to hunger or the urge to throw up. She hoped Surprise would have the wherewithal to maintain this little charade on her own, because at the moment she felt barely able to function.

“Okay,” she said, steeling herself. “Okay. Let’s do this.”

She went to the front door and stepped outside, wincing at the sun’s glare. Surprise was strangely hesitant, her bravado faltering for just a moment as she stopped at the exit before following Berry.

“You alright?” Berry asked.

She nodded. “My greatest fear before starting this mission was being discovered. Now you know what I am, it’s like I’m walking without a safety net. I’ll be alright.”

The pair walked as fast as Berry’s hangover would allow them. Ponyville was mostly quiet, though the Sunday market in the town square was quite active. Every so often, a passing pony would glare in their direction.

“Everypony’s staring at us,” said Surprise, unfazed. “No turning back now.”

“Don’t worry. They’re not looking at you, they’re looking at me,” said Berry. “I’m the one who caused a scene in the bar.”

“And I’m the new arrival who’s hanging out with you. Rumours are going to start spreading. If we play this right, that can only be a good thing. The more who know about us, the better.”

There were a few ponies eating at the tables outside the restaurant, making the most of the sunny weather. Horte was behind the bar, his attention mostly focused on directing his kitchen staff, and he didn’t notice his two new customers until they were almost with him.

He noted Berry’s new companion with a raised eyebrow and his overall demeanour was cooler than usual.

“Glad to see you’re still alive,” he said dryly. “After the amount you drank, I did wonder.”

“Yeah.” Berry scratched the side of her head, deeply embarrassed. “I’m sorry, Horte, really I am. I messed up. I’m not barred, am I?”

He allowed her a smile. “Never. No, the most I’d ever do if you really crossed the line would be to politely ask you to leave.”

Her face flushed a deeper shade of purple, fully aware that he did just that last night.

He changed the subject, happy to leave the matter forgiven and forgotten. “So, you found each other?” he said, addressing them both. “Berry, are you going to introduce me?”

“Oh! Yes,” she said, flustered. “This is Surprise. She’s from Manehattan.”

The changeling raised a hoof in greeting and he nodded in reply. “Good to meet you. Can I get you anything?”

“Oh, no thanks. I don’t drink. Can’t really process it,” she said, shooting a meaningful look at Berry.

The earth pony caught on to her hidden message – changelings fed only on emotions, which probably meant they couldn’t ingest anything else.

She interjected before Horte could question Surprise’s odd choice of language. “Could I get something to eat? I need something to soak up all that alcohol.”

“Certainly,” he said, then winked at Surprise. “I’m sure she’s already told you that she’s not always like this. It’s true, don’t worry.”

He called an order to the kitchen staff on Berry’s behalf. “So how did you two meet? When did you two meet?” he asked. The second question had a warning edge.

“Last night,” Surprise said quickly. “Though she was pretty out of it by then. I suggested we meet up the next morning but I didn’t expect her to be so… you know.”

“Dragged me out of bed, kicking and screaming,” said Berry. “Well, not quite. Moaning and wobbly is nearer the truth.”

Horte resisted the temptation to say something inappropriate. “There’s not much that’ll get you out of bed with a hangover, Miss Punch.”

“Well, this time it was worth it,” she said, feeling her cheeks flush as she did so.

There was a burst of warmth in his next smile. “And what’s your profession? I see by your cutiemark that you’re in the entertainment business,” he said to Surprise, noting the three balloons on her flank. “In fact, it’s very similar to that of one of our more famous residents.”

“You mean Pinkie Pie? Yes, Berry told me about her,” she said, somewhat abashedly. “It’s true, my original purpose was much the same as hers. But where I come from, there’s not really much chance to enjoy yourself. It’s all very regimented, austere.”

Horte frowned. “That doesn’t really sound like the Manehattan I know, but I suppose it depends what circles you move in. There are certainly some ponies there who have a different idea of fun to the folk who live here, so you may have been unlucky. Hopefully you’ll find some better friends in Ponyville.”

“I hope so,” she said earnestly. “There’s nothing I’d like more than to fit in.”

His tone was sympathetic. “We’d be happy to accommodate you. I won’t demand an answer, but what was life like at home? What encouraged you to make a move?”

“Oh, there weren’t any problems at home. My mother can be a little overbearing at times but she never treats me with anything less than her full respect,” she said. She grew thoughtful. “I suppose I do feel the need to prove myself to her, still. That’s something I haven’t accomplished yet, despite her support. But perhaps, in time…”

Berry interjected. “If you two don’t mind, I’ll have to leave you alone for a little bit. Call of nature. Don’t tell her too many embarrassing stories about me, Horte.”

She broke away, trotting to the little fillies’ room to freshen up. When she returned, the two of them were still talking happily.

She allowed herself a small smile. Perhaps this could work. Horte had always been open minded and he was getting along well with Surprise. He was also well-respected and well-known in Ponyville. If they could get him on side, it would be a great boost to their cause.

Berry returned to the conversation – her head was still aching but she was beginning to feel more like herself again, and her disposition improved further once she got a meal inside her.

The three of them talked for some time, Surprise joining in with growing confidence as if she was no different to her two companions. She spoke in half-truths about herself, disguising the fact her lifespan was only measured in months rather than years and that her way of existence was alien to what the others were used to.

Horte noticed the arrival of two other ponies before Berry did, and whispered a quick warning before they reached the bar. Bon Bon and Lyra had entered the restaurant, and their disposition was difficult to tell from facial expressions alone.

“I thought we might find you here,” said Bon Bon, glancing at Surprise with some small measure of suspicion. “Is it alright to talk? We can come back later, if not.”

Surprise pretended she didn’t know them. “Is something the matter?” she asked Berry.

The earth pony bid her to wait there and went to find a quiet spot alone with her two friends.
Once they had settled, she raised a hoof to stop them talking. “Before you say anything, I just want to apologise again. I was drunk, I was out of line.”

The other two exchanged a look. Bon Bon leaned forward. “I’ve never seen that side of you before, and I can’t say I like it. You completely flew off the handle, you were shouting. Brought the entire place to a standstill. It was totally uncalled for.”

“I was scared,” said Lyra. “I thought you were going to hit me. And I’ve already had one pony ask me if what you said was true.”

Berry wasn’t able to look them in the eyes. “I’m sorry. Really, I… I don’t know my limits sometimes. I was feeling depressed and I bottled it up inside until I just had to let it out. I shouldn’t have done that, I’m sorry.”

“If you can’t control it, then I think you should stop,” said the unicorn. “Stop drinking. I’ve heard rumours about town this morning, I know what happens every time Pinchy goes away. You drink, and you get in trouble. It’s not healthy.”

She couldn’t find any way to argue. Her headache had faded down to a dull throb but her chest felt empty.

“If you need somepony to talk to, if you can’t stand being alone, then you should find somepony you can call on for company,” said Lyra. “But not here. Not when Pinchy’s away. I know Horte’s responsible, but he can’t keep an eye on you all the time, not with so much temptation around.”

Her expression softened. “We should have paid more attention to you, we should have noticed you were drinking too much. I mean, you downed that first double straight away and then I agreed to buy you another. Should have realised that wasn’t a good idea. But you’ve got to learn to take care of yourself.”

Berry was unable to speak. She felt unable to justify what she had done. There was no way she could tell them the truth without exposing Surprise and even then, it wouldn’t have excused her behaviour.

Bon Bon tapped the table to get her attention. “Hey. Berry. We’re friends, okay? I know we don’t see each other very often, what with you having to look after Ruby Pinch and all, but we normally get along just fine. You’re actually one of the few ponies in town who enjoys reading my stories, and that says something.”

That lifted her spirits a little, though she thought it best not to tell Bon Bon that she liked her stories because they were unintentionally funny.

“I understand. I get it,” said the cream-coloured pony. “I feel the urge to cut loose once in a while, and luckily Lyra indulges me. But it seems to me that you’re so caught up in looking after your daughter that when you do get some free time, you try to fit months of partying in one night.

“Do you have many friends in town who are parents themselves?” Berry shook her head. “Then you should find some. Get more regular adult conversation. On adult topics.”

She glanced over at the bar, where Surprise was making small talk with Horte and pretending not to pay attention to what the other three ponies were saying.

“Who’s that?” she asked.

“Oh, right,” said Berry. “Her name’s Surprise. She’s from Manehattan.”

Lyra frowned. “What is she?”

Berry was knocked back by the question and almost panicked. “What? What do you mean?”

“Is she a friend? Or more?” the unicorn asked. “When did you meet her?”

“She wasn’t at your house when we called last night, was she?” asked Bon Bon, her eyes narrowed. “I seem to remember there was something you wanted to say to us, but ended up keeping to yourself. Was it about her?”

Berry shook her head. “No, it was… it was about Twilight.” It wasn’t a total lie – the princess was, after all, the reason why Surprise invaded her house. “Doesn’t matter now. I met Surprise at the bar and she knocked on my door this morning.”

“Hmm. Lunch date?” Bon Bon was watching Surprise with a judgemental eye, already assessing whether she was a good match for Berry.

The other earth pony was tongue-tied for a second, then realised she had to go along with the changeling’s cover story. “Yes. We’re just getting to know each other. Um, do you want to meet her?”

The two ponies looked at each other, having a wordless conversation as they checked each other’s response to the question.

“Maybe later,” Bon Bon said finally. “If this is your first date, we shouldn’t interrupt. And if I’m brutally honest – which you know, I always am – I don’t think we’re in a particular sociable mood today.”

“Oh. That’s a pity.” Berry couldn’t help but feel crestfallen. That was two fewer ponies for Surprise to get to know, and the day was already halfway through.

“I hope it goes well. It’d do you good,” Lyra said with a smile. “It’s just a shame that…”

“Hush. She doesn’t need to know about that,” Bon Bon interrupted, then continued before Berry could ask what they were talking about.

“Maybe sometime we could go on a double date,” she said, moving away from the table. “Just… not for a while. Best to give it some time. We’ll see you later. Take care of yourself, okay?”

Berry nodded sadly, then watched them leave. Surprise’s desperate lie had damaged a friendship and lowered her social standing in Ponyville.

But there was no time to worry about that now. Their attempt to broker peace between the two races was more important.

She trotted to the bar and Horte turned his attention to her. “What happened? Has the truth about Lyra’s change of heart come to light?”

Berry shook her head. “Horte, it’s best if you forget about that. I was mistaken. She has no intention of leaving Bon Bon.”

He held his tongue to his upper lip, unsure of what to make of that. “The way you told it, there was no mistaking what she said. She told you directly.”

“Horte, just…” She held a hoof to her forehead, trying not to get exasperated. “If anyone asks you about it, please tell them it’s not true. Things are going to work themselves out.”

She turned to Surprise before he could protest. “We should get going. There are lots of other ponies I want you to meet before the day is out.”

The changeling nodded, said her goodbyes to Horte and headed for the door. Berry hesitated at the bar.

“What do you think of her?” she whispered quickly to her friend.

“Honestly?” he said. “I like her, but I’m worried she might be too young for you. Not physically, but mentally. I spoke to her at some length while you were gone, encouraged her to open up, and she’s full of hopes and dreams. From what she said about her upbringing, she’s been grounded too long and she wants freedom.

“In a way, she reminds me of a younger you. She hasn’t quite worked out what she wants to be. She also seems to be afraid of something, but I can’t work out what it is.”

Berry didn’t reply. Horte’s answer had been reliably insightful. Of course, she wasn’t interested in Surprise as a partner but his assessment of her character was very useful.

If their mission was successful, she would gain the freedom she sought. She would be free from the need to make innocents suffer in order to feed herself. Berry dearly hoped the other changelings felt the same way. She hoped that this wasn’t a mistake.

“I hope I haven’t put you off,” said Horte. “This is the first date you’ve had in ages. Go for it. Enjoy it. Don’t worry yet about whether it’s going to work out.”

She smiled and bid him farewell, then went outside to where Surprise was waiting.

“Well? What did he say?” she asked eagerly.

“You’re a hit,” said Berry. “It’ll be a shock when he finds out what you are, but it’ll make sense to him.”

“When should we tell him? I mean, the sooner we do it, the better.”

“I think we should introduce you to a few more of my friends first,” Berry said, motioning for her to simmer down. “Then we can get them together in a quiet environment. Have a conversation. If anypony freaks out at any point, hopefully the others will be able to calm them down.”

“Right.” Surprise didn’t seem fully satisfied by that answer, but she accepted it. “I liked him. You seem to have a nice little society here.”

Berry nodded, casting an eye over the surrounding town and the ponies in it. A thought came to her and she smiled. “You know, I think this could be mutually beneficial. Ponyville has a lot of mares and not enough stallions. If we can work this out, there are several lonely ponies who could find a partner. Someone to love. Your race may never go hungry again.”

Surprise sighed and Berry thought she saw sadness in the changeling’s eyes. The pegasus quickly perked when she realised she was being watched. “Come on. We need to work out our next move.”

They walked away from the town centre, looking for somewhere secluded to talk. They didn’t stop until they were near the outskirts, far away enough that nopony could listen in.

“You need to get to know more ponies,” said Berry. “Preferably ponies who have a similar mindset to Horte, or who have the same interests as you. Is there anything in particular that you want to do, or anypony you want to meet?”

“Anything I’ve ever wanted to do?” Surprise thought it over carefully.

“Well, I’ve always wanted to spread my wings. To fly, really fly,” she said. “We’d always been taught to conserve our energy when we’re not hunting, and that meant staying on the ground.”

Berry’s eyes widened in surprise as she realised the changeling had not once been airborne in the entire time she had known her. Most pegasi alternated naturally between walking and flying, making sure to exercise both sets of muscles. They didn’t find it normal to walk all the time.

Surprise continued: “By staying sedentary, our hive could sate its hunger on only a small amount of emotion. But it wasn’t much of a life. I don’t think I’ve ever truly flown before.”

“Then you’ll want a flying companion. Perhaps somepony who can show you the ropes.” Berry smiled as a plan came to mind. “I know the perfect pony. If you can get her on your side, it’ll give our mission a real boost. She’s highly respected and she even gave Twilight a few pointers when she got her wings.”

She paused for effect, then let it out: “Rainbow Dash.”

It wasn’t possible for Surprise’s face to go any whiter, but she was clearly horrified. “Rainbow Dash? She’s one of the six! Are you, are you out of your mind? I’ve heard stories about her, about how she kicked the flank of any changeling that got near her. If she finds out what I am she’ll crush me like a bug, I know how impulsive she’s supposed to be.”

“Hey, calm down,” Berry said, taken aback by her sudden outburst. “Think about it. We need to prove ponies and changelings can get along. If you can befriend one of the ponies who fought the changeling army in the invasion of Canterlot, then we’ll be halfway there. It’s been the plan all along to reveal your identity at some point. It all depends on how we do it.”

Surprise gritted her teeth, swallowing her nervousness. “Okay. We’ll try it. But if she’s busy, we move on and try somepony else, okay? There must be other pegasi in Ponyville that we can speak to.”

Berry looked at her curiously, confused by her sudden apprehensiveness. “Why are you so against meeting Rainbow Dash? She can be a little brash, but she’s perfectly friendly.”

“I was warned to stay away from her. She’s too strong for the likes of me,” she said quickly. She looked away from Berry, unable to meet her questioning stare. “I know, I know. It’s not as if I’m going to have to fight her. But I… what if I…”

Berry was starting to grow a little worried. She didn’t know why Surprise was so rattled. It wasn’t as if they were going to be able to stay away from the Elements of Harmony forever.

“Look, we don’t have to meet with Dash if you don’t want to,” she said, putting a hoof on Surprise’s shoulder and leaning in close. “But could you tell me why…”

She nearly jumped out of her skin as the changeling suddenly lunged at her, planting her lips firmly on her own and giving her a short but intense kiss.

When they broke away, Berry was in a state of shock. Their intimacy had come out of nowhere, as far as she was concerned there had been no build-up to it at all, and yet…

And yet, it hadn’t been entirely unwelcome. That realisation unsettled her.

“What was that for?” she asked. A thought struck her and her face blanched. “Wait, did you just feed on me?”

“I’m sorry. I know that was inappropriate,” Surprise said, ashamed. “But I needed reassurance. I had this sudden notion that you were going to hand me in. Give me up. I had to know your true feelings.”

It took Berry a little time to accept her explanation, though she couldn’t see any immediate reason why Surprise would be lying. She hadn’t given the changeling any indication that she intended to betray her.

“So, what are my true feelings?” she asked eventually.

Surprise smiled, apparently relieved. “Much more positive than last time. It’s reminded me why we’re doing this. Given me fresh purpose.”

“Right,” Berry said uncertainly, then pushed her misgivings aside. “Okay. I don’t see why you’re so nervous anyway. You’ve never met Rainbow Dash. You told me you hadn’t been born at the time of the invasion.”

“Yeah, that’s right,” Surprise said breezily. “But sometimes things can be scarier until you’ve experienced or met them for yourself, you know?”

Berry was uncertain how to respond to that, so she didn’t.

“Follow me. Dash normally hangs around near here,” she said, leading the way. “Usually dozing in clouds or charging through them.”

They walked along the path out of Ponyville in silence until Berry felt the need for conversation.

She didn’t want to talk about the unexpected kiss because she wasn’t sure what she thought about it. She didn’t know if the brief thrill of excitement she had felt was a side effect of Surprise feeding, or something else.

She found a different subject. “So how are changelings born anyway?” she asked. “I mean, you don’t eat or drink the way we do, so I assume you handle reproduction differently too.”

“It’s similar to how we were created in the first place,” said Surprise. “The original wisp that bonded with Luna absorbed a huge amount of power from her and divided into several hundred changelings. In much the same way, if a changeling gorges itself on emotion then the excess energy splits away and forms a new life.”

Berry slowed her pace as she allowed this information to sink in. “Huh. That sounds kinda haphazard. I mean, if you’re not careful, that actually means that kissing could get you pregnant.”

“Oh, no no no. Don’t worry,” she said with a smile. “You’re not in any danger of becoming a mother for a second time. A changeling has to absorb a large portion of another creature’s strength in order for that to happen. We’re usually careful when feeding – if a pony were to feel themselves getting weaker, they might cotton on to what was happening.

“No, it’s incredibly rare for a new changeling to be born. Actually, I was the first.”

She kept talking, not noticing that Berry had suddenly stopped walking. “That’s why I was called Surprise. My birth was unprecedented. I suppose Shock would have been a more apt name, but it didn’t trip off the tongue so easily.”

She realised her companion was no longer by her side and turned her head. “Berry?”

The earth pony had a hoof over her mouth and was deep in thought, slowly putting two and two together and horrified by what it could mean.

“You were born after the Canterlot invasion, right?” she asked. Surprise nodded.

Her mouth hung open as she contemplated her next question, almost not wanting to put it to her. “Given by how old you say you are, you must have been… conceived around that time, right?”

“That’s right.” The white-coated pegasus was uneasy now, aware that she had said too much. “I can see where you’re going with this. And yeah.” She pursed her lips, regretful she had let the information out but realising there was no point in trying to hide it. “Yeah, it’s true.”

“Oh hell,” Berry muttered. She couldn’t believe she hadn’t realised it sooner. She’d been focusing so hard on finding a way towards peace that it had completely passed her by.

Surprise had spoken about her close links with her leader, that she would be willing to hear her out. When she talked about her home life, she mentioned her overbearing mother that she hoped to prove herself to.

And it explained why a changeling who hadn’t been alive at the time of the invasion had been chosen for a mission of such high importance, instead of one who had more experience.
Berry looked Surprise in the eyes and put the revelation into words.

“Your mother is Queen Chrysalis?”