• Published 21st Sep 2011
  • 12,502 Views, 883 Comments

Flutterheart - lilinuyasha



Trey is an average band director in Ponyville. He's not looking for love, but it falls into his lap.

  • ...
21
 883
 12,502

Brewing storm

Dear Princess Celestia,

I am happy to report that I now realize there are wonderful things in this world you just can't explain, but that doesn't necessarily make them any less true. It just means you have to choose to believe in them, and sometimes it takes a friend to show you the way.

Your faithful student,

Twilight Sparkle

Twilight read the letter over and over. It applied to her, this situation, nearly everything recently. She sighed, tossing the letter aside, thinking.

“This isn’t any different, Twilight. It’s the same thing.”

“It’s completely different.” she said, arguing with herself over and over.

“How? It’s about putting blind faith into something. You just have to believe.”

“You won’t understand it until you experience it.”

“True, but we can say the same thing for Pinkie, can’t we? We don’t understand her but we still accept her.”

“A pony and an intangible concept are two totally different things.”

“Yeah, but not in this case...”

“Yes.”

“No.”

“Twilight?” Twilight’s ranting ended abruptly as Spike showed himself. “Who are you talking to?”

“Nopony. Just reading.” she said, hurriedly grabbing a book near her, giving him an awkward smile.

“Aaaaaaalright then.” he said, turning around. “Oh, by the way, I need to head off to Canterlot. You gonna be alright by yourself?”

“Hm? Oh, yes, I’ll be fine, don’t worry.” she said, smiling at him. It might be easier to think by herself.

“Great. I’ll see you in two days or so.”

“Alrighty! See you then!” she said as he closed the door behind him in a hurry. She didn’t even think to ask WHY he was going. It didn’t matter to her, anyway. She needed some time alone.

***

Fluttershy trotted about her cottage, taking care of the animals. School day. Trey couldn’t be there, but he’d be over later.

“Angel!” she called. “Angel?”

Angel wasn’t anywhere to be found.

“Angel, time to stop playing games, you silly bunny. It’s time for breakfast.”

There was still no reply. She asked all the other animals if they’d seen him, to which none of them could say yes. She started to worry.

“Angel. Come out now. This isn’t funny.” she said, fretting about the cottage. “Angel? Please come out...”

What if he’d gone? Run away? What if...she checked the front door, finding it slightly ajar. A small trail of bunny prints led outward.

“Angel, you silly bunny. It’s not playtime yet.” she said as she opened the door expecting to see him trotting about the meadow. There was no sight of him. Fluttershy started to sweat out of panic.

“Angel!” she yelled. No response.

The sweat on her brow increased as she started following the trail. It wasn’t so much the length of the trail as to the fact that it led straight to...the Everfree Forest. She cringed a little bit. Was Angel ok? Maybe she should go back home and wait for him...but what if he wasn’t ok? He probably was. He was Angel. But maybe she should make sure...

She breathed in heavily, gathering her courage. It was just a hop, skip...

“And jump...” she said herself as she put a small pep in her step, traveling through the Everfree in search of Angel.

***

Twilight set out to Fluttershy’s cottage. She needed a favor from her, and knew this was the best time to find her. As she neared her front door, she found it open. Strange, she thought. It was then she realized a fresh trail of hoofprints leading out, alongside a smaller trail of bunny paws. Had Angel gotten loose?

She followed the trail, right up until a faint darkness loomed above her. She looked up. The Everfree Forest lay in front of her. Fluttershy went into...the Everfree? She obviously needed help in there. It was a good thing Twilight needed to find her. She stepped into the dark, foreboding Everfree, following the trail, which she could barely make out.

“Fluttershy?” she called out. “Where are you?”

Twilight traveled through the Everfree for about half an hour calling her name.

“It’s no use. She’s never going to hear me. She probably left a while ago.” she said to herself, turning around. Suddenly, a loud, thunderous roar resounded across the forest while a louder, higher pitched scream pierced the heavy atmosphere.

“Fluttershy?”

That was definitely Fluttershy’s scream. She galloped as fast as she could towards the sound. It was no use...she got lost.

“No, no, no! FLUTTERSHY!!!” she yelled. Suddenly, Angel appeared out of the bushes, beckoning her. Twilight followed him to where Fluttershy lay in a small clearing, down on the ground, a wound across her face.

“Fluttershy?” she asked, trying to get her attention. She was out cold, bleeding from a gash in her head.

Twilight used her magic to make some gauze out of some nearby leaves, applying pressure to the wound. She needed help fast. Twilight used her magic to teleport them to the hospital, where she quickly checked her in. She then set off to make sure Trey knew.

***

Trey went through the day smoothly. Everything was going his way. The band made major progress in their music, the lunch in the cafeteria today was actually decent, they had cake in the break room, compliments of Pinkie Pie. Then, he’d get to go see the most beautiful filly in the world, his very own. He smiled simply thinking about that beautiful face, that beautiful smile, and those beautiful eyes

School couldn’t let out early enough for him. He gathered his materials, strolling out the door.

“Trey. You need to come with me. Hurry!”

Trey turned his head to see Twilight, a look of urgency and concern on her face.

“Is everything alright?”

“No. Fluttershy’s in the hospital. We need to go see her!”

She and Trey galloped to the hospital as fast as they could, nearly bursting in the door. She showed Trey to her room, letting him inside.

“I...I’ll be outside.” she said, looking away. Trey grew concerned. He turned his attention to the bed in front of him, where Fluttershy lay.

“Flutterheart?”

Fluttershy’s head twitched a bit at the mention of her name, but she didn’t look at him.

“Fluttershy? How are you feeling?”

Fluttershy still didn’t say anything as a silent tear ran down her cheek.

“Fluttershy...please look at me...” he said, growing concerned.

“...I can’t.” she said.

“Why not?”

“I’m...not pretty...” she said, wincing. “I’m not any of those things you said about me anymore.”

“Let me be the judge of that.” he said, taking one of her hooves with his.

“I...I just can’t.”

“Flutterheart...please. I’m not going to stop loving you, if that’s what you’re thinking.”

She stopped a bit, thinking it over.

“Please don’t hate me.” she said.

“Never.”

She turned her face over, revealing a moderately large gash on one side of her face. It was mostly covered up with gauze, but Trey could still tell where the gash was. Her eye on that side was completely bloodshot, the corner of her lip swollen and bruised.

“What happened?”

“I don’t know...I went into Everfree to find Angel...last thing I remember seeing was a manticore...and then I woke up ugly.” she said, turning her head back away from him, crying.

“Fluttershy, look at me.” he said reassuringly. she turned to face him.

He smiled at her. “You’re still the prettiest filly in the world to me.You’re still perfect. And you know what else?”

“...what?”

“I still love you.” he said, before kissing her good cheek. She smiled a small amount.

“I love you too. And Trey?”

“Yes?”

“Can I ask a favor?”

“I’m going to be here all night.”

“...thanks.” she said, gripping his hoof tighter. True to his word, Trey stayed with her all night, keeping her company, watching her sleep.