• Published 21st Sep 2011
  • 12,502 Views, 883 Comments

Flutterheart - lilinuyasha



Trey is an average band director in Ponyville. He's not looking for love, but it falls into his lap.

  • ...
21
 883
 12,502

Uneasy confession

“This isn’t going to be easy for me to say...or for you to hear. Please bear with me.” he said. She nodded, letting him continue.

“Well...when I was a young colt...” he started, trying to figure out how best to admit or confess. “...well...I was young, foolish, stupid...and I was typical. Had only one thing on my mind. One day, we got invited to go to a friend’s ranch for a family friend’s party. I forgot what the occasion was, but regardless, we were there. Well...I got left alone with one of the younger ones...I think she was 5 years younger than me. And...well...long story short, I did to her what Big Macintosh did to you. I’ve regretted that day ever since, and it’s been plaguing me. Since then, I got very anti-social...much like you. I’ve strived to be anything but typical...I never really talked much to fillies...I just...Fluttershy...I...I love you. You’ve broken every emotional and social barrier I tried to set for myself. I guess there’s always a trade off...you’re worried about snapping on me in flashbacks...I’m always worried I’m going to hurt you. You think that you’re a bad pony for letting something happen to you...I know I’m a bad pony because I did that. Fluttershy...I just...” he said, before whimpering, on the verge of crying. “Please don’t hate me.” he finished, looking as far away from her as he could, sighing.

Fluttershy didn’t say anything for a good while. Did...did he really admit that to her? Did he trust her that much? Could she trust him after that though? He made it seem like he’d learned his lesson, but who was to say he wouldn’t give in again? She didn’t want to relive that day again. He did have a good point though...they could help each other get over it. She could help him get over it by love and support, continuing her kindness. She could get over her own past by simply being loved in an honest manner, apart from what happened to her. They were both victims. Not by somepony else, but by themselves. The irony of what he’d done versus what had happened to her was prevalent in the fact that they had maintained a good, stable relationship. She loved him, she didn’t care what he’d done. He loved her, no matter what had happened.

“Trey...” she started, trying to find the best words.

“I understand if you want to end it.” he said, a tear streaming down his cheek.

“No, Trey...I’m not.” she said, putting a hoof to his chin and making him look at her, much like he’d done with her several times. This time, though, he was the sad, red-eyed pony looking into the eyes of the other.

She debated saying something, but opted not to, instead letting her eyes, the ones she knew he loved, do the talking for her. They looked deep into each other’s eyes for several minutes, her sending him the message that it was ok...she loved him anyway. She then brought his lips close to hers, taking the first step for once in her life, letting the emotions between the two of them swirl, making the kiss one of the most meaningful yet. Her cheeks were wet with his tears as he slowly stopped his emotional breakdown.

“Trey...” she said. Trey nodded, still not saying anything. “I love you. That’s all there is to it.”

“...thank you.” Trey finally managed to say, before hugging Fluttershy tight. “You have no idea how much that means to me.”

“Not as much as you mean to me.” said Fluttershy, nuzzling her head into his chest. It bothered her slightly, yes, but he was worth too much to her for anything to take him away. The two layed there in silence until they both drifted off to sleep again, happily cradled in each other’s arms.

***

Twilight sighed. Today was just a lazy day...and she felt terrible. She’d managed to insult Spike, herself, and, essentially, Trey and Fluttershy. One part of her felt terrible for trying to undercut her friend for personal gain. The other part knew it was better for everypony this way. The third part of her tried to psychologically analyze all those thoughts and emotions to back up both sides of her brain. She sighed and relaxed in bed, debating whether to read any more into the topic or simply lay there. One part of her also wanted to apologize to Spike too, but a different part of her wanted to maintain her pride and refuse to. She had so many parts of her brain today...it seemed like every day she went on without understanding love, a new opinion on the matter would pop up, thus a new side of her brain. She reflected on all her lessons on friendship...not one of them really helped her out here. One did on a separate matter, and she attended to it properly, trotting off to find Spike.

“Spike?” she asked, calling out to him.

“Yeah?” said Spike, bouncing away from nowhere, ready to give a hand.

“I just wanted to say that I’m sorry. I know I’ve been a little scatterbrained recently and...well...it came off on you. I’m sorry.”

“Twilight, I’m not the one you need to be apologizing to.”

“Yes, I do...wait...who should I be apologizing to, then?”

“Well there’s multiple ponies you should be apologizing to. I think you need to apologize to yourself, first off, for the sorry state you put yourself in. Then you need to apologize to Trey and Fluttershy. You’re undercutting your friend, and making a very poor impression on the new colt in town. If Fluttershy loves him, let her love him. It’s her decision. You can’t make it for her.” he said, hurrying out of the room, letting her think about it.

Twilight knew he was right. She trotted back to her bed, defeated, as the storm raged on. The pathetic fallacy, she thought. Weather representative of your feelings...she took a moment, once again psychoanalyzing. She’d been a terrible friend recently. She also needed to understand. She’d been looking for love for so long...but always got involved in studies. She had a crush on somepony back in Canterlot, but opted to stay in Ponyville. She’d searched high and low for somepony who she felt would make a good partner. However, nopony fit her fancy. Nopony else seemed on her intellectual level. At least not any other males, anyway. Big Macintosh seemed more logically smart, not the biggest apple on the tree, so to speak. There really weren’t many dominant male figures in Ponyville, now that she thought about it. The most colts she’d ever seen in a town was in Appleloosa...

Twilight sighed and rolled over in bed, closing her eyes. Checking her clock, she found it was 2 PM. With the storm rolling, though, it felt more like AM. She rested, ignoring reading, instead thinking...about love. About what she could feel like if she had somepony special. She fell asleep dreaming, as if she was the star in one of her novels.

“Twilight...I think you were not aptly named.” he said, looking at me. Aptly. I hadn’t heard anypony else use that word before.

“Well, I do have a darker mane...colors of twilight, you know.”

“No, Twilight...it’s not good because you’re the brightest thing in my life...brighter than twilight could ever be. But Twilight...”

“Yes?” I asked. I could feel a certain pang of emotion I’d never felt before.

“Will you be the one to sparkle in my life?” he asked, looking deep into me with those eyes. I’d never noticed them before, but they were icy blue, almost as if they could freeze me. He’d certainly frozen my heart, as the old saying goes.

I could feel myself blushing. I’d never done that much...especially never in front of another colt...but he brought it out of me. Almost against my will. He had a way with words.

“I...yes.” I said, resisting the urge to hop around in happiness.

He smiled and brought me in close. Was this...a kiss? Yes! Yes it was! The emotion going on in such a simple little act of contact...why did it bring me so much pleasure? I put all analysis out and simply enjoyed the moment, a little gesture that meant so much. Am I doing it right? I've never done it before...oh, I hoped I wasn’t screwing it up...he wasn’t stopping...so it had to be good, right?

“Just close your eyes and let your emotions guide you, not your brain. Quit thinking so much about it, Twilight. You’re doing fine.” he said, backing away. I guess I did have my eyes open. Was that bad? Oh, whatever. I closed my eyes and enjoyed the intense heated moment.

“I love you, Twilight.” he said.

“I love you too, Trey.”

***

Trey woke up as a small roar of thunder resounded. Fluttershy was still sleeping, nestled on his chest. He didn’t know why, but he really loved having her on his chest. The soft feel of her nose against his chest...her head on his warm chest...just the thought of her hearing his heartbeat...he’d never let it on, but she made his heart flutter as much, if not more, as he made hers. He smiled to himself, wondering how somepony like him could have possibly deserved somepony as amazing as her. He took his free hoof and lightly stroked her hair. He then kissed her forehead and stared off into space, letting her soft head and silky hair soothe him, taking away any other thoughts in his mind except her. He then closed his eyes, took his free arm, and put it around Fluttershy, hugging her tighter to him, her warmth resonating.

“I love you, Fluttershy.” he said softly, almost to himself.

He must have fallen asleep, because when he woke up, Fluttershy was staring at him.

“Did you sleep well?” she asked.

“I could never sleep otherwise without you. You must have slept well too. You were out the last time I woke up.”

“Oh, I never went to sleep silly.” she said, smiling at him. “I love you too.”

Trey smiled a bit. He never expected to get caught with one of his romantically driven gestures of love, committed while she slept like a beauty.

“Oh...and I can tell you love me.” she said. “I know you don’t want to tell me, but your heart flutters just as much as mine does.” she added, smiling, blushing. “That makes me feel special.”

“Not as special as you are to me.” Trey noted, finishing it off. He then kissed her lightly and passionately, stroking her face with his hoof. He then looked deep into her eyes, those eyes he loved.

“I wish it would rain some more...” Fluttershy said, looking out the window to a clearing sky.

“It doesn’t have to rain for you to stay here.”

“I know. But I like having an excuse.” she said, smiling. Trey simply smiled back as the two of them lazed about in bed, loving each other.

***

Rainbow Dash couldn’t help but smile as the two of them cradled each other. Sure, it was rude to peep through the window, but hey, it was for a good cause. And it was a second story window...who bothers keeping shades on those? It was just so romantic...Fluttershy really loved him. She’d been needing somepony to love for a while. Fluttershy all but admitted that much to her. Fluttershy never came straight out about her desires, but let on more than she probably knew she did. Rainbow Dash managed to pick up enough pieces here and there to know that she wanted social acceptance, and that a nice colt was the best one to give it to her. Twilight didn’t know that side of her. In fact, now that she thought of it, Fluttershy was probably the pony she didn’t know the most about, other than Pinkie Pie, who she ignored half the time.

She noticed Fluttershy look towards the window, saying something, to which Trey agreed. Rainbow Dash measured the clouds, before smiling to herself. She pounced on the clouds above his house, giving them another hour or two of rain. Just enough to get them till it was dark outside. Fluttershy would be bound to spend the night then. Rainbow Dash smiled to herself as she turned her back to the clouds once again, napping and basking happily, knowing Fluttershy and Trey were happy.