• Published 21st Sep 2011
  • 12,500 Views, 883 Comments

Flutterheart - lilinuyasha



Trey is an average band director in Ponyville. He's not looking for love, but it falls into his lap.

  • ...
21
 883
 12,500

Resolution?

“Trey...can I talk to you?” she asked timidly.

“Come on in.” he said, smiling at her.

Trey showed her to the couch, but she chose to stand up by the door instead.

“Are you ok?” asked Trey. He sensed that Fluttershy had been thinking about their relationship. Trey didn’t know why Twilight would be so against them. They hadn’t even really made it official.

“Um...not really.” she said, looking at the ground. Trey’s heart nearly dropped at that. It was only confirmation at what she was to talk about.

“Flutterheart...” he started, sad. She looked up at him with even sadder eyes.

“I’ve been thinking...and...well...I think we should just stay friends...if that’s ok...”

Trey couldn’t believe it. He’d heard that before, but she left him for good. He didn’t want Fluttershy to be like her.

“That...” he started. He had to stand up for himself. “That’s not ok.” he said, trying to keep calm. He felt he might lose it.

“I’m...sorry...” she started, starting to back up towards the door.

“Flutterheart...why do you think that we should just stay friends?”

“Um...I have...um...well...I just don’t want to risk losing you.”

“So you’re going to lose me to avoid losing me?”

“Um...”

“Twilight helped sway your mindset, didn’t she?”

Fluttershy didn’t say anything but nodded ever so slightly, scrunching her body into itself again, like she did when she wasn’t comfortable. Trey sighed and trotted over to her.

“Flutterheart...please understand...I don’t care what Twilight thinks, I’m not going to leave you. I don’t care what’s happened in your past, I don’t care about what you think is bad about yourself. I love you, Fluttershy. All the other stuff doesn’t matter.”

“Who told you?” she asked, snapping.

“Told me what?”

“About my past?”

“Nopony. I was just saying. Is there something you want to tell me?” he asked, trying to cover up his knowledge while trying to provoke her. She stared at the ground for a little bit. Trey didn’t say a word. He continued to look at her, noticing her starting quiver. Soon, she started to softly cry. Trey wasn’t sure what to do. He knew she might be having relapses, and touching her might trigger something. Likewise, maybe she needed a hug to reassure her that things were perfectly ok. He seriously didn’t know what to do. This was make it or break it time, so to speak.

“Fluttershy?” he said, bending his head down, attempting to look her in the eye. She couldn’t say anything, but instead started crying louder, more noticeably. “Flutterheart?”

“Trey...” she started to say, broken up between sobs.

“Yes, Flutterheart?” She was getting quite emotional. This was obviously one of those nights.

“I’m so sorry...” she said, launching herself onto Trey, hugging him. He returned the favor, rubbing her back, swaying side to side.

“Do you want to talk about it, Flutterheart?”

She nodded against his head, and he helped bring her to the couch.

“Now, Flutterheart...” he started.

“Please don’t hate me.”

“How could I hate you?”

“I don’t know...”

“Don’t worry, Flutterheart. Just relax and tell me what you need to say.”

She nodded, looking away from him, tears welling in her eyes. He wiped them off her face as she started to talk. She went into vivid details about that day, more than Trey knew, or cared to know. He remained silent and listened to her the entire time, though.

“I just...I...I don’t know.” she said after explaining.

“Flutterheart...what’s stopping you from getting over it? Why are you stuck thinking about it?” he asked with a gentle tone, out of pure curiosity.

“I...I don’t know...” she said, scrunching her body up again. Trey scooted closer to her on the couch. “I...I’m just such a bad pony for letting it happen.”

“Flutterheart...you didn’t know it was happening. There was nothing you could have done. You’re not a bad pony. You’re probably the best pony I know. I consider it a blessing that you’re in my life.”

“Sometimes I feel like I’m a curse...”

“Why?”

“Well...I’m so shy...and I get scared easily...I just don’t feel like I belong sometimes...”

“Fluttershy.” he said, urgently. “I beg to differ with you on everything. Sure, you’re shy. You may get scared easily. But I know exactly where you belong.”

“Where’s that?” she said, continuing to look away.

“My heart.” he said. She looked up at him with those eyes and blushed, starting to smile. “Flutterheart, you’re the greatest thing that’s ever happened to me.” he said, cupping one side of her face with his hoof. “I don’t think Twilight’s really looking out for you. Friends don’t try and take away their friend’s happiness. At least, i assume you’re happy with me.” She nodded, a small smile on her lips. “Maybe Twilight’s not being a very good friend if she’s taking away your happiness. I know that I’d be missing a huge light in my life if you were gone.” he said, watching the smile on her face get even bigger as her tears dried up. “I love you, Fluttershy.”

She smiled even bigger, those eyes he loved expanding. Though her eyes were red from crying, the deep blue he loved was clear. Her eyes, even while red, were still perfect. Everything about her was perfect.

“I love you too, Trey.” she said, slowly leaning into him for a slow, passionate kiss. “Please don’t leave me.”

“I don’t plan on it. Please don’t leave me either.” he said, smiling.

“I could never leave you.”

“Don’t listen to anypony who tells you otherwise, alright?”

She nodded and smiled. “Ok.” she said, before leaning into him once again. She then put her head on his lap, looking up at him. Those eyes...

Trey stroked her hair with his hoof, staring deep into her. Neither of them said anything for a bit, instead letting their emotional connection speak for them. Trey broke the silence by telling her that he loved her, before leaning down to kiss her again. On his way up a small movement outside his window caught his eye. It was only there for a moment though. Probably a passing pony on their way home from the late shift. He ignored it and continued cuddling and caressing Fluttershy, happy as could be.

***

Twilight seethed with anger. Trey had a bit more manipulative control over her than she anticipated. She had to adopt a new strategy. Simply talking to both her and Trey didn’t seem to work. Perhaps she needed to use something more manipulative...perhaps having other friends on her side. She never saw Pinkie, so she obviously didn’t care. The other four were there though. Were they on her side? She put that thought away and decided to make it a point for tomorrow to talk to all of her friends. She was confident she could win them over. She had known them for so long, she could press every one of their buttons. She decided to sleep on it that night before heading out in the morning to discuss matters with her friends.

***

Twilight woke up early the next morning, formulating in her mind what to discuss. She decided to tackle the easiest one and trotted over to Rarity’s boutique.

“Welcome to Carousel Boutique, where everything...oh, hello Twilight!” she said, seeing Twilight walk in.

“Hey Rarity. Just though I’d stop by and get your opinion on something.”

“Well of course! I’d be more than happy to do what I can.”

“What do you think of Trey and Fluttershy?” she asked, quizzically. Rarity gave her a strange look.

“You mean, like...as a couple?”

“Well...yes. Fluttershy and Trey seem to like each other a lot. I just don’t know if that’s the best thing for Fluttershy though. What do you think?”

“Well...” said Rarity, turning around to take care of some dresses, “I think whatever makes Fluttershy happy is best. If that’s Trey, so be it.” she said, attempting to end the discussion. She knew Twilight was trying to sabotage their relationship and she didn’t respect that. Fluttershy and Rarity hadn’t been to the spa since Trey came, but they had an appointment this afternoon. Rarity would certainly discuss this with her.

“But you don’t think Trey’s not a good fit for her? His messy mane doesn’t bother you?” said Twilight.

“Messy mane?”

“Yeah I’m not entirely sure he combs it, to be honest.” Rarity turned around to face her, a growing look of concern in her eye.

“...he doesn’t?”

“I don’t think so. I think Fluttershy needs somepony who takes pride in himself. Not one who doesn’t comb his mane.” she said. Twilight knew this would get her.

“Hm...that does worry me. Perhaps Fluttershy would get messy as well...oh dear...” she said. She was fully aware Twilight was manipulating her. Twilight underestimated her intellectual capabilities. She’d taken good note of Trey at the party where they first met. He was a well groomed colt. Handsome, too. It was a shame he didn’t decide to get involved with her. “I’ll definitely let Fluttershy know about that.”

“Whatever you want to do! Anyways, I have other errands to run. I’ll see you later!” she said, trotting out the door. She knew she’d captured Rarity. It was only a matter of time before Rarity would influence Fluttershy.

Rarity watched her leave. Why would Twilight even think for one second that using messiness as bait would trap her into messing up Fluttershy’s happiness? Twilight was up to something. She would find out why later. She had business to run until the afternoon. Then she had her spa date with Fluttershy. She had a feeling she’d be discussing quite a few things with her. She carried on with business until then.

***

Twilight trotted over to Sweetapple Acres. She trotted around until she found Applejack bucking on apple trees, as was her job.

“Well howdy there, Twilight!” she said, finishing the tree off and trotting over to her. “What can I do ya for?”

“I just had a question to ask.”

“Well I’m more than happy to try and help.”

“What do you think about Trey and Fluttershy?”

“You mean...as a couple?”

“Yes.”

“Well...I think it’ll do Fluttershy good. I think she’s been needin’ a good colt to help her get over things. I think it’s in her best interest. What do you think?”

“I think it’s a bad idea.”

“Well why’s that?”

“I think Trey’s bound to trigger some memories. He’s bound to trip her up in the past and cause her to shut herself out again. He’s a colt, too. He’s prone to the same mistake Big Macintosh made. I just don’t want Fluttershy to get hurt.”

“I really don’t see Trey doing something like that, Twi.”

“It’s possible, Applejack.”

“Anything’s possible, but Trey seems like a good pony. I like him.”

“But what about Fluttershy? Do you think she’s bound to get too dependant?”

“Twi...listen to me.” Applejack said, demandingly. “I think Fluttershy’s been needin’ a good colt in her life to prove her wrong about them. She’s still carryin’ around negative thoughts about colts because of what one colt did to her. Trey seems like just the colt to dispel those thoughts. I think you need to stop tryin’ to ruin their relationship because of what you think’s better. Fluttershy needs to make her own decisions.”

Twilight was taken aback my this. She could have sworn she could get Applejack on her side. True, Fluttershy did need to make her own decisions, but Twilight knew what was best for her. Fluttershy was far too timid to know about this. Fluttershy couldn’t know what love was...Twilight trotted out and went back to the library.

***

“Oh, good to see you again Darling!” said Rarity.

“Yes. I like doing this.” said Fluttershy.

“Well there’s so much we need to discuss!”

“Um...am I in trouble?”

“Heavens no! I’ll tell you when we’re in the private baths.”

“Oh...ok.”

Fluttershy and Rarity continued through their spa treatment until the private baths came up, where they were left alone for half an hour.

“Fluttershy, what do you think about Trey?”

“I like him. He’s nice...”

“Good. Has Twilight told you to leave him alone?”

“Um...”

“Fluttershy, I’m not going to say anything to her about it.”

“Well...yes.”

“Please don’t tell me you listened to her?”

“Well...I tried...but I just love Trey so much...”

“You love him?”

“Oh...um...yes...”

“I think he’s a very lucky colt, Fluttershy. I don’t know why Twilight is so against you two, but you need to do what makes you happy, darling. And I believe Trey makes you happy.”

“He does...he has a really nice smile...and he treats me like I’m worth something...”

“Are you saying the rest of us don’t?”

“No, you do...he just...does it better I guess...I hope that’s ok...”

“Darling, I was in love once, too. I know exactly how you feel. A strong colt in your life makes you feel on top of the world.”

“Yes...”

“I think the real reason Twilight’s trying to end you two is that she’s jealous.”

“Jealous?”

“Yes. She’s the only pony of our group of friends that hasn’t had a significant other yet.”

“She hasn’t?”

“Heavens no. She locks herself up reading all the time. She didn’t start getting social until she came to Ponyville, remember?”

“Yeah...”

“I think she’s just been waiting for a colt of her own, and she sees Trey as a good match. Not hard to see why. He's handsome, smart...and extremely lucky to have you. Don’t give him up.”

Fluttershy smiled at her, beaming. “Thanks Rarity. I guess I’ve needed to hear that for a while.”

“Heavens, I’m only speaking the truth. Don’t thank me for saying what needs to be said.”

Fluttershy noted that Trey did the same thing...not letting her thank him for certain things.

Fluttershy and Rarity soon finished their spa date and both trotted to their respective homes. Trey still didn’t get out of school for a little while...Oh! There was a hoofball game tonight! Fluttershy remembered it was 7 at the stadium. She’d go to see Trey this time. She was sure he was great. Maybe the music would be good too. She made up her mind to go tonight and patiently waited to see her prince again.

***

Twilight simply didn’t understand. She paced about the library furiously, trying to think. How could her friends not agree with her? What did they see in Trey and Fluttershy as a couple that made them more agree with it than her? She’d waited for a good colt ever since she came to Ponyville, and Trey seemed like just the one. She’d never had a relationship before...she just didn’t understand love. But she did know she was in love with him. She was way more capable of things than Fluttershy was. She hardly ever talked. Twilight was smarter, could use magic, and, in her opinion, prettier. She’d read multiple books on persuasion, love, psychology...how did she not do it? How did it fail? She needed to know...she stayed up for the rest of the night reading, refining her strategy.

***

Trey went through the day as normal, preparing for the hoofball game against Canterlot. This would be a bit of a personal thing for him, seeing as he went to, and came from, Canterlot. He remembered inviting Fluttershy, so he hoped to see her there, now that he gave her the proper time. The band would be doing the first two movements, marching hopefully to perfection. He was happy today, also, as he narrowly avoided losing Fluttershy to Twilight. He didn’t know what her problem was, but he was sick of it. He was looking forward to the hoofball game though. He’d see her again. That always made him smile.