• Published 24th Mar 2013
  • 7,664 Views, 473 Comments

An Eque$trian Payday - The card holder



A group of robbers end up at ground zero of Earth and Equestria having portals opening between them. The robbers blend in with the crowd and bide their time; at least, until they decide that Equestria has some nifty things to steal...

  • ...
26
 473
 7,664

Epilogue

Roseluck sighed, leaning back in her chair. It was her first day working at GenSec, and also her first job in Earth, more specifically some country called the "USA".

Her reasoning for the career choice was simple. Ever since that debacle at the Gala several months ago, during which she and dozens of other were taken hostage, she wanted to do whatever she could to prevent that from happening again. And while being a cop was a bit too dangerous for her tastes, this was the next best thing. Thankfully, they were fully accepting of a pony taking the job, so there were no issues there.

On the computer screen in front of her, several blue dots were lit up over a map of the USA, showing all the places that GenSec was protecting. Occasionally, some of them would turn green, signaling a scheduled time lock activation.

While thinking over her situation, however, she noticed one of the dots turn yellow, signaling an unscheduled activation of the time lock. Clicking the dot, she saw that it was a large bank in the heart of Washington, DC that sent the signal. That bank was apparently famous for never being successfully robbed, and GenSec prided itself on keeping that streak alive.

Following protocol, she immediately picked up the phone and dialed the bank's number. After a few rings, she got an answer.

"Benevolent Bank, Martin here, everything is fine. How can I help you?"

She raised an eyebrow at the odd choice of words, but otherwise ignored them. "Yes, this is..." she looked over at the card reminding her of her alias over the phone. "...Jen, over at GenSec, and we've received reports of an unscheduled time lock activation over there. Is everything alright?"

"Oh, yeah, the manager was showing off the system to a new guy, helping him get to know the place. You know how it is."

"Yes, well, next time, give us a heads up, alright?"

"Okay, thanks for understanding."

Roseluck hung up, and after a few clicks, the yellow dot on her computer was turned back to blue. She monitored the systems for some time, before a red dot appeared, telling her that a vault was opened off schedule. Clicking the dot, she saw that it was the same bank as earlier. Confused, she dialed the number again, and the same person picked up.

"Benevolent Bank, Martin speaking."

"Yes, this is GenSec again, and now we have signs of an unscheduled vault opening."

"Well, uh, the new guy wanted to take a look inside the vault, so the manager opened it up."

Something about the explanation seemed a bit off. "Yes, well, just in case, I'm sending a couple of guys down to check up on it, alright?"

"Uh, there's not much need for that, but thanks anyway."

The line clicked dead, and Roseluck clicked a few more times, dispatching a couple of nearby GenSec officers to the bank. She kept eyes on the situation there, as well as the rest of the GenSec-protected places, and soon the officers' radios brought back some news.

"Everything's fine over here."

"Yeah, uh, everything's normal around here."

She confirmed both reports, but for some reason the second voice sounded a bit familiar...

Erring on the side of caution, she gave a small tip to the local police, then monitored the phone lines for the bank. Soon after, the call came in.

"This is the Benevolent, Martin speaking. How can I help you?"

"Yes, this is Officer Williams, the people down at GenSec told us to check out everything over there, so I'm sending a few officers down, alright?"

"Uh, okay, that's fine. Yeah."

The call was ended, and about ten minutes later, another was made.

"Benevolent Bank."

"Yeah, I dispatched those officers a while ago, and they still haven't reported back. What's going on?"

"Well, uh, I dunno, might be radio interference. Sunspots, you know?"

"I'm giving you five minutes to put one of the officers on the phone, or I'll send a team down there to arrest you for wasting police time."

"Um, understood. Bye."

Right after they hung up, the clock on Roseluck's desk beeped, telling her that her shift was over for today. Packing up a few things, she left the office, waving goodbye to her coworkers as she did so.


Later that night, she was sitting alone in her apartment, lounging on the couch while flipping through channels on the TV. While searching for something to entertain her, she ended up on the news channel, which made her stop for a second.

"-with sunny skies for the rest of the week. Now, onto our top story. Earlier today, history was made, as the Benevolent Bank, known for never being successfully robbed, has finally fallen. Four masked and heavily armed men managed to sneak inside the bank, before police were alerted shortly after they had breached the vault. In the ensuing shootout, there were at least over a hundred casualties, including at least forty fatalities, all of which inflicted on the DC police and FBI. The criminals managed to make their escape by using explosives to get through a wall, where they moved hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of cash and gold to an unknown escape vehicle. Shortly after the robbery, a burnt out trash truck was found on the outskirts of DC, which might have been their escape vehicle. When GenSec, the company responsible for providing security to the Benevolent, was questioned, they refused to comment."

The rest of the news story was tuned out, as Roseluck couldn't stop thinking about what had happened. Amidst her racing thoughts, one sentence made its way to the forefront of her mind, which she then whispered to herself:

"I am so fired."