• Published 24th Mar 2013
  • 1,212 Views, 7 Comments

Getting Out From Under Your Parent's Hooves - Veradon Chimera



Fluttershy's parents come to visit her home on the ground.

  • ...
0
 7
 1,212

A Few Days After

The Few Days After


Fluttershy lay on her couch, head resting against her forelegs as, to her left, Twilight was sat with a book propped up between her forelegs. Twilight was calm and relaxed as her voice brought the story alive; Fluttershy had lost herself in the adventures of Plain Trotter as she travelled down through the Zebrican continent. It was a welcome escape.

To her right, lay Rainbow Dash, evidently bored out of her mind by the lack of action. But she was staying because her friend needed her, and Fluttershy couldn’t help but smile at that.

It had been a couple of days since her family had left, leaving her with a gaping hole in her heart.

After Fluttershy’s family had left, Twilight had stayed with Fluttershy. Rainbow had arrived shortly after, having seen the family’s carriage heading back towards Cloudsdale, and found Fluttershy on the floor with Twilight trying to comfort her. It had been a rough couple of hours. Fluttershy had spent the first few hours afterwards crying, muttering in between sobs that she had ruined her relationship with her family. Eventually, Twilight and Rainbow saw her through back to calmness.

They had even spent the night. For once, Fluttershy was glad they had ignored her dismissals; she found that once Luna’s night had settled over the world, she was happy not to be alone. Her friends kept the dark thoughts at bay. They even said they would visit for a few days to make sure she was alright. They had both made good on that promise.

This evening they had both come, Twilight even brought the book that she was now reading. Fluttershy was only too glad to lose herself in the book’s world; it was a good book, not too exciting, just a pony exploring a place new to her. Kind of like Fluttershy herself...

A knock on the door stopped Twilight’s reading and Fluttershy found herself jarred from her imagination.

“Mail call!” called a bubbly voice beyond the wood of the door.

Fluttershy got up from the couch, trotted over to the door and opened it.

“Hello, Ditzy,” Fluttershy said to the mail mare. Ditzy ‘Derpy’ Doo smiled at the yellow Pegasus.

“Hi, Fluttershy,” she replied, “Got a letter for you today.” Ditzy reached into her bag and pulled out an envelope. Turning back with a smile, she hoofed it to Fluttershy.

“Thank you,” Fluttershy said.

“No problem,” Ditzy answered. And with a tip of her hat, she was gone.

Fluttershy closed the door and looked the letter over.

“What’s that?” Rainbow asked.

Fluttershy studied the face of the envelope and noticed the return address in the top left corner, written in free, quick strokes.

“It’s from my father,” she answered.

Trotting back to the couch, Fluttershy settled down between her friends and peeled open the letter.

Dear Shy

I’m writing to you to talk about the other day. I have to explain that your revelation gave us all a shock. Your mother was devastated, even if it didn’t seem that way when she left. She threw herself into work the moment she got back. I’ve been able to calm her since, but

There was an ink blot where the quill had lingered too long.

she cannot understand your decision. I can only just understand it. Being able to achieve something by yourself. I can see where you are coming from.

You’re not alone, sweetie. I’ll be there to help. I’ll try to talk your mother around, get her to understand what you want to do. I can’t promise I’ll be able to make her understand, but she still loves you. Maybe that will help.

Now, it’s a sour topic, but it has to be mentioned. Your trust fund. In light of your decision, we will have to lower it. You’re not going to be cut off, but you will have to be earning some of your own bits soon. But I believe you can. You are a strong, young mare. And if your friend Twilight was anything to go by, you have good friends too.

I’m sorry, Shy. For all of this.

Love,

Dad

In the wake of the letter’s word, Fluttershy just stared at the piece of paper. This was real, a real reminder that what had occurred a couple of days ago had actually happened.

“Fluttershy, are you alright?”

Fluttershy nodded with more confidence than she felt, but she knew whatever her response was, her friends would take it with a pinch of salt.

“I’ll be alright,” Fluttershy answered, folding up the letter and placing it down, “It’s just... I’m not sure how to feel.”

“Well you know what I say you should do?” Rainbow Dash asked incredulously, “Toss it!”

“Rainbow Dash!”

Fluttershy winced as Twilight snapped right in her ear.

“What?” Rainbow asked, slightly annoyed, “She’s free of them now! She doesn’t need to go back. That’s good right?”

“No, it’s not,” Twilight bit back, “It’s not good for Fluttershy to be estranged from her family.”

“Girls.”

“Well, I say it good for her! They’ve only ever held her down!”

“Girls.”

“How can you say that? They gave birth to her! They raised her!”

“GIRLS!”

Both ponies stopped and slowly blushed as they realised they had been arguing over Fluttershy with her still there. Fluttershy took a long, deep breath before speaking.

“I... really don’t know what to do,” she admitted. Both the ponies opened their mouths to speak, but Fluttershy had a hoof to each of their mouths before they could say anything.

“But I need to figure this out on my own. I have options.” She picked up the letter again and looked at it. “What I would like you to do... is respect my decision. When I make it.”

Then she closed her eyes and heaved a sigh, the only noise is the ensuing quiet.

She was surprised when she felt a warmth press to each of her sides. She opened her eyes to see that her friends had shuffled in close to her, both with supportive smiles in their faces.

“Don’t worry, Fluttershy,” Twilight assured, “Whatever you decide, we’ll be there for you.”

“Yeah,” Rainbow agreed, “Whatever you decide, I’ll stand by you. Whether I agree with it or not.”

Fluttershy felt warmth spread throughout their chest before spreading to her face. Her eyes started to well with tears again, causing Twilight and Rainbow to shoot worried looks. But their worries were quickly dispelled when Fluttershy wrapped her forelegs around each of them.

“Thank you,” she said, “Thank you.”

As the three mares embraced, Fluttershy smiled to herself. The future was uncertain, yes, and just couldn’t leave thing as they were. But she consoled herself with the thought that whatever happened, she wouldn’t be alone.

Comments ( 5 )

The concept is indeed interesting but,

There wasn't enough buildup in this story. Her family just visits and Fluttershy get's upset and tells them no. The tension was insufficient and I feel like you should add something, Maybe prolong the conflict by having her mother trying to force her to come home in a few days and with the help of her friends, she slowly builds up the courage with a final confrontation.

With the story as it is though, I just did not get the impression that Fluttershy was truly overcoming a major challenge.

I'd like to see this story continued, I feel there is room for another chapter. Overall, I think it is a good story, and I enjoyed it.

2309630 Thanks for your criticism. I know now that pacing is a problem of mine and I'll look to improve that in the future.
May rewrite this someday when I get better, but for now your criticism has been noted and taken on board.

If Fluttershy is a wildlife vet, she should get a stipend from the county.

And why didn't Twilight mention to her parents that Fluttershy just HAPPENS to be an Element of Harmony, and a duly appointed KNIGHT and 3 Time Champion of Equestria??

2315106 *Sigh,* I really did not think this through. I can justify the first one, she had her trust fund coming in and so didn't want to go through the trouble of trying applying for a stipend. But I actually thought that this was what happened afterwards.
The second, I've got nothing. Thanks for the input though, I appreciate it.

Login or register to comment