• Published 23rd Mar 2013
  • 3,062 Views, 174 Comments

A Journey Unthought Of: Revival of Chaos - Hustlin Tom



After the events of the Season 2 finale, Equestria begins to spiral into chaos in the face of a new Changeling threat, a brewing civil conflict, and the second release of Discord.

  • ...
8
 174
 3,062

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 54 - Princess Cadence, Shining Armor

The morning was warm early that day. As the day approached closer with each step up the sloping road to the marble heights of Canterlot, the weather was sure to become more humid and more unbearable. Trotting at point were Umbra and Nox, acting as the Princess’ advance guard as she and the rest of the Council led the rest of the movement on.

“Do you feel that, brother?” Nox asked, “There’s a strange kind of stillness in the air.”

Umbra nodded, “I feel tremors in the earth, but not from behind us: they’re coming from in front of us. How is that possible?”

“It’s as if the mountain breathes. Perhaps it doesn’t like the heat any more than we do?”

“You and your poetic language,” Umbra grumbled, “I’m more concerned by what could be causing it. You should be as well.”

The crowd began its passage over the three bridges that led up and over the small rivers that ran down from the mountainside into the valleys below. A red sun began to rise as Cadence guided its path, its light shining through the rivers and waterfalls below, making the streams seem like the mountain’s free flowing orange colored tears. As they all crossed over the last river and turned to the north and upward along the road, they were greeted by two lamps etched into the rock, illuminating the path with a soft yellow light.

These were the outermost lights leading into Canterlot. While the others didn’t quite understand the significance, Cadence, Fancy Pants, and Twilight Sparkle all gave a small sigh of relief: the long journey was almost over, and they were on the last leg.

“After being away for so long, wishing to be able to come back, I’ve just finally realized we’re here.” Cadence looked further up the long stretch of road as she spoke, and seeing the gate to Canterlot open and waiting for them all she smiled with a few tears in her eyes. “Shining,” she exclaimed softly.

The Princess took off at a gallop, leaving the others to protest in alarm. She didn’t hear them. She flapped her wings sporadically, trying to push herself along as fast as she could physically go. The guards at the gate exclaimed in pure joy upon seeing her. One passed the word of what they had seen to the next. The next guard yelled ecstatically to another. The good news spread across Canterlot faster than the Princess could run. Doors and windows burst open to watch the running Princess as she darted through the streets, a pink and purple blur.

While it was true that Celestia was the soul of Equestria, it's keeper of culture and moral compass, and that Luna was the mind, with her dedication to the sciences both technological and arcane, Princess Mi Amore Cadenza was the heart of her fair country: unbridled, free, and full of great love for everything she held dear.

Untarnished by hatred, rhetoric, or violence, she ran straight to the front doors of Canterlot Castle, and the life and love of her city followed in her wake. The Return to Harmony movement thundered after her, the streets remained clear to avoid being trampled. The citizens of Canterlot were not far behind them either.

As she rushed into the square just outside the doors to the castle, they were opened wide. From out of the citadel rushed the acting Prince Shining Armor, his military uniform ruffled and crinkled from many unbroken days of coordinating strategy. He had slept in it several times by accident, and while the uniform was most definitely tired, the Prince was now brimming with energy.

As the two of them ran to each other, there were no words shared. There were no cries of joy or laughter. The desperate longing that had been brimming in the both of them for each other was so transient, so above base emotional outburst, that when they finally reached each other they slowed, wrapped their forelegs around each other, and brought each other into a tranquil but charged kiss. Time seemed to collapse outright as their lips locked with each other. The unity they shared after being so far away for so long was unlike any other. Their hearts, though beating at their different tempos, were as one in harmonic unison. When finally they had to part, they simply stared into each others' eyes.

“Mi Amore,” he said breathlessly.

“My Shining Knight,” she whispered.

The crowd that had finally gathered in the square cheered and whistled at the romantic display. It almost felt like the reception ball all over again.

It was in this beautiful moment, amidst the cheers, the dawn, and the love, that Falena’s communique finally came through.

Cadence’s eyes glazed over momentarily as she couldn’t believe the contents of the message. Finally, strength returned to her body, and she ripped herself away from her husband. Flying up in the air, she projected her voice as loudly as she could, “Everypony, please listen! Find shelter immediately! An attack is imminent! Return to your homes in an orderly fashion, and do not panic!”

Most of the crowd, initially perplexed by the strange transition of behavior, while also remembering why they had been told to stay in their homes, began to file back the way they had come.

There were some, however, who stayed. Even though there were those ponies that had come with the Princess that left to seek shelter with the rest of the crowd, more than three hundred stood their ground. Princess Cadence looked at each of them as she was able, from her sister-in-law and her friends, to Fancy Pants, Bon Bon, Trixie, and the many others standing behind them. They in turn looked back to her expectantly.

The Princess spoke up again, “My little ponies, I know what we came here to do initially, but I will not risk your lives like this. Please find shelter immediately!”

“If we don’t stand up for what we believe in now, what was the value of what we were striving for to begin with?” Bon Bon yelled passionately. The crowd quieted as the earth pony stepped forward to address the Princess personally, “We came here to prove we weren’t afraid of our enemy, whether it’s the two factions or the Changelings. We won’t sit by, not anymore! Equestria needs us, and to me right now that’s more important than anything, even my own safety!”

Twilight nodded her approval of her friend’s words. “I can’t speak for anypony else,” she said as she approached her brother and gave him a hug, “but I’m going to stand by the both of you.”

“And there’s nothing you can do to stop us!” Rainbow Dash exclaimed with cocky grin.

“That is what friends are for, after all,” Rarity pointed out.

“To be honest with you,” Applejack continued.

“To always offer a helping hoof,” Fluttershy said with a demure smile.

“And to do it all through thick, thin, and whatever’s in the middle!” Pinkie Pie finished.

“I can’t allow this,” Prince Shining Armor declared as he glanced at each of them momentarily, “None of you are staying out here.”

“To be fair, you can’t stop us,” Fancy Pants replied as he stepped forward, a subdued smile adorning his face.

“Fancy Pants!” the Prince exclaimed as he gave the suave unicorn an enthusiastic hoofshake, “You have my undying gratitude for keeping Cadence safe.”

“I can only do so much once she’s made up her mind, Celestia help me,” he said with a small chuckle, “I believe we are in such a situation now.”

Princess Cadence’s initially worried expression had slowly been replaced by one of determination. “Bon Bon’s right,” she finally said, “We’re not just fighting to protect Canterlot: we’re fighting for Equestria.”

Prince Shining Armor covered his face with his hoof a little as he sighed, “Cadence, that’s all well and good, but you and the others need to get to safety right now! We can talk about this once you're inside.”

“You’re not listening, Shiny,” she tried to calmly express herself without letting her agitation enter her voice; “We’re all staying. What we’re all fighting for is more important than any one of us, even a Princess.”

“This is not a debate!” the Prince snapped at last, “If I have to, I will have you forcefully moved to the castle!”

All the nearby ponies who had heard those words stared at their ruler now and felt varying degrees of betrayal.

“Shining!” Twilight exclaimed in alarm at his seemingly outrageous declaration.

Princess Cadence’s anger was numbed over by her shock. “You’d do what?” she asked quietly.

“I can’t lose you again!” he muttered with an almost wounded tone through bitter tears that began to creep into his eyes. Her heart cracked a little as he continued, “Those..bugs have taken you from me twice. Do you know what it’s been like, not knowing where you were, or if you’d been hurt, or worse?”

“Shiny,” she tried to say.

“I can’t think straight without you,” he said as he wrapped his forelegs around her suddenly in a huge embrace, “I’ve been going crazy without you! Don’t put yourself or our foal’s life at risk like this, not when I’ve just gotten you back! Don’t force me. Please.”

As the Prince’s forelegs squeezed tighter around her in wanting, the Princess at first didn’t know how to respond. She loved her husband so very much, but right now her ponies needed her. She breathed in shakily, unsure of if she had made the right choice at first, but then steeled herself and quietly said,“To your post, Captain.”

Prince Shining Armor’s eyes opened as his mind automatically processed her words, “Cadence-“

“To your post, Captain!” she repeated clearly and firmly.

Years of training made the Prince leap back and stand at attention, "Ma'am!"

Princess Cadence, returned at last to her home and to her now rightful throne, looked at her husband, the Elements, Fancy Pants, and Bon Bon, “The Changelings will be coming soon, but they aren’t here to take Canterlot or even to silence us: they’re here to release Discord.”

The nine of them paled rapidly, with the Elements being the most unnerved of the lot of them.

“We stand as the first line of defense against our enemy,” the Princess continued before the others had a chance to become frenetically anxious, “Today we are not bakers, librarians, farmers, or royalty: we are warriors, if not in actuality, then in spirit! Twilight!”

“Yes, Cadence?” Twilight stammered in surprise at her foalsitter’s sudden authoritarian shift in attitude.

“We need you and the others ready with the Elements of Harmony. Get to the cathedral and come back here once you have them!”

“You got it, Princess!” Rainbow Dash nervously yelled over her shoulder, already leading the pack by air to the chamber where the Elements were kept.

“Captain,” she turned to her husband, “What is the status of our defenses?”

“Our forces are ready to move into position at my command,” Prince Shining Armor replied with a loud, sharp tone, as if he was a private reporting to a commanding officer at boot camp, “A squad of Wonderbolts will be arriving within the hour. General Blitz Hammer and Lieutenant Swiftfeet are standing by with their respective ground forces.”

“What about Siege Mode?” Princess Cadence asked.

“Still being worked on, but we should be ready soon.”

The Captain of the Guard eyes fluttered a little as he realized his situation. His wife, his commanding officer he corrected, was adamant to stay on the battlefield despite the risk, and there really was nothing he could do to convince her otherwise. Had she really thought about the potential aftermath of this attack if things didn’t go well for them? What if he couldn’t protect her? Sure, she was an alicorn, but even they clearly had their limits against these things! He could handle something happening to himself, but if something happened to Cadence? He honestly hoped that he never had to be put into that situation: he didn’t want to know what he’d do.

“We’ve got incoming!” Mr. Black called from far up above the three royals, “They’re coming in hot from the North by Northeast!”

A grey spot was fast approaching in the morning sunlight, and a barely audible droning sound could be heard by all.

Fancy Pant’s shoulders fell as his mouth numbly fell open. “We’re too late,” he uttered quietly as he created a rapier with his magic and held it gently in front of himself, “Tartarus’ gates are upon us.”

PreviousChapters Next