• Published 3rd Feb 2012
  • 8,843 Views, 425 Comments

Friends and Lovers - Donnys Boy



A series of mini-stories exploring various pony ships. Because shipping is magic.

  • ...
26
 425
 8,843

The Best-Laid Plans (TwiPie)

“The Best-Laid Plans”
(TwiPie)

Dear Pinkie,

I hope that this letter will cause more happiness than hurt, but regardless, it’s a letter I feel I must write. Thoughts of you fill my every waking hour, and dreams of you fill my every night. You baffle and befuddle me, bewitch and bedazzle me, and almost against my will you have won my heart.

You are the singular most amazing pony I have ever known and, though I dare not confess these words to you face to face, I had to let you know. I had to let you know that your smile brightens my darkest days and that your songs, despite their unnervingly impromptu nature, always fill me with a sense of hope and reassurance.

It doesn’t make sense, but nothing about you ever has. But perhaps that’s all right. After all, it was Star Swirl the Bearded himself who said, “The ways of the heart are as Magic itself—a mystery to be explored and embraced but never fully explained.”

And so I end with this simple statement, written with a heart full of inexplicable mystery: I love you, Pinkamena Diane Pie. I love you, and I am …

Your Most Sincere Secret Admirer

Twilight Sparkle looked up from the paper that had been shoved in front of her nose and gulped audibly. She forced a grin onto her face, but she could feel it shaking at the corners.

“So, you have a secret admirer?” she stammered. “Um, and you’re telling me because … because you’d like my help in figuring out who it is?”

Pinkie Pie, who was grinning her usual, easy grin, just shook her head. “Nah, I already know who it is. But thanks, anyway!”

“Y-you do?” Twilight was pretty sure the library wasn’t this hot before Pinkie had arrived just minutes ago. At any rate, the unicorn seemed to be sweating a lot more than she should be on such a mild autumn day. “But how could you know?”

“Oh, c’mon, Twi! It’s easy peasy!”

Twilight glanced down at the paper again. “But that doesn’t make any sense! It’s clear from the weight and quality of the paper that it’s from the Dead Trees stationery store in Manehattan, while the ink is thick and dark enough that a pony is all but forced to conclude it’s been created from the Rorschach plant that’s only grown out in Appleloosa.” She gestured to the paper in question with a hoof, as she continued on, in her trademark lecturing tone, “In addition, this mouth-writing is obviously the work of a unicorn seeking to disguise her—I mean, their—usual horn writing.”

Pinkie Pie leaned forward and squinted at the love letter. When she looked back up, there was an unmistakable hint of admiration in her eyes. “Oooh. You’re good.”

“Yes. Thank you.” The unicorn gave a prim nod. “So, all in all, it’s safe to say that your admirer has gone to great pains to cover their tracks and hide their identity. I can’t see how you could possibly even make an educated guess as to who it is.”

“Like this!”

And then Twilight Sparkle tasted warmth. Warmth and cupcakes and sarsaparilla and more cupcakes and maybe a hint of hot sauce. She leaned into that warmth instinctively, embracing it, devouring it, before her brain caught up enough with present events to realize that Pinkie Pie was kissing her. Pinkie Pie was kissing her, and she was kissing Pinkie back.

Twilight leapt back, as her heart hammered madly in her chest and her tongue ran over the lingering sweetness on her lips.

Pinkie Pie was still grinning. Even wider than before, actually, if such was even possible.

“You silly filly,” the earth pony murmured, as she reached out and ran a gentle hoof through Twilight’s mane. “Who else would quote Star Swirl the Bearded in a love letter?”


Author's Notes: Here's another little piece I wrote in response to a TMP prompt. Never enough Twinkie fluff, says I.

Also, this may--or may not!--be based on the time I wrote an anonymous love letter to my high school crush and everyone in the entire senior class immediately knew it was from me and I wanted to crawl into a bottomless pit and never come out again.