• Published 3rd Feb 2012
  • 8,843 Views, 425 Comments

Friends and Lovers - Donnys Boy



A series of mini-stories exploring various pony ships. Because shipping is magic.

  • ...
26
 425
 8,843

Perfect (FlutterDash)

“Perfect”
(FlutterDash)

Look, I know what Applejack's been saying. I'm not stupid, okay? I'm not, like, Twilight level smart, but I'm not stupid. I know they talk behind my back and all of that. I see Pinkie Pie grinning and giggling at me like an idiot when she thinks our backs are turned.

But it's not like that. It's not. Me and 'Shy, we go back, way back. We've known each other ever since we were fillies, y'know? We had … well, kind of a deal, I guess you'd say. I beat up the bullies and kept them away from her, and Fluttershy treated me nice. She smiled at me. Asked how my day was going. Stuff like that.

It was … pretty cool, I guess.

You know?

It was cool. Having somepony who cared about how my day went and all that.

But that's all just friend stuff. It's not like we were making out behind the bleachers or that I asked for her hoof in marriage after flight school. I mean, I've never even kissed Fluttershy! Well, yeah, okay, there was that one time, the night I won the Best Young Fliers competition, but we were just caught up in the moment. Could've happened to anypony. I mean, I bet if it had been Twilight there instead of 'Shy, it would've been Twilight that I'd--

Ha! Yeah, no, I can't even say that with a straight face. Totally, totally wouldn't have kissed Twilight. But maybe Pinkie Pie or Applejack, if they'd been there. Well, maybe Pinkie. If she'd brushed her teeth after drinking that rainbow. But the point is--they weren't there. Because they'd taken Rarity back down to the ground and left me and 'Shy back in Cloudsdale. Were they just supposed to abandon Rarity? Of course not. That's silly. So it was just me and 'Shy, and after I got back from flying with the Wonderbolts, we went down to this one bar I'd always liked and we--

Hey! You think I don't see that look you're giving me? I totally see that look on your face, and you better knock it off right now! Geez. Just like the look that AJ's always giving me, and it's bad enough when it's coming from her.

Anyway, what I'm trying to tell you is that they've got it all wrong. Fluttershy's just my friend. A really good friend, maybe even my best friend, but a friend. Just a friend.

And … and that's how it's gonna stay. All right? Because friends are important. Just ask Pinkie or, heck, even Twilight. No, wait, don't ask Twilight. She'll talk your ear off for an hour and then make you write a friendship report. Still, Twi's got one thing right, and that's how important friends are. I agree with the egghead one hundred and twenty percent on that.

Fluttershy was my first friend, and she's my best friend. And I'm not gonna lose that. I'm not gonna lose her. Not for anything, ever. 'Cause if I didn't have 'Shy, then who'd remember how to tell the difference between all forty-two of my different and totally awesome tricks? And who'd bring groceries up to my house when I've been too busy to go to the store? Or who'd cheer when I pull off a Sonic Rainboom, cheer loud enough that I can actually hear it over the boom’s shockwaves?

All of that stuff is … it's really cool. Having all that.

You know?

So, yeah. Yeah. Me and 'Shy, we're just friends, and you can tell that to Twi and AJ and Pinkie and Rarity and everypony else in all of Equestria. They can smirk all they want, but Fluttershy and the Dash know the truth. And that's good enough for us.

Thanks for listening, buddy. I really appreciate it. You're a good friend, too, Tank—and heck, if it wasn't for Fluttershy, you and me wouldn't even be friends! And I don't even wanna think about what my life would be like if we hadn't become such good pals. That's almost as depressing as thinking about what it'd be like if I didn't have these super awesome wings on my back.

You see? You see how right I am? I'm telling ya, Tank, Rarity doesn't know what she's talking about. Everything is perfect just how it is.

Absolutely perfect. Yep.

Perfect.

Just like her.


Author's Notes: This was adapted from yet another piece I submitted for a Thirty Minute Ponies prompt, this one being "It’s clear to everypony that Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy are a couple. Everypony except Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy."