• Published 3rd Feb 2012
  • 8,843 Views, 425 Comments

Friends and Lovers - Donnys Boy



A series of mini-stories exploring various pony ships. Because shipping is magic.

  • ...
26
 425
 8,843

Wins and Losses (AppleDash)

“Wins and Losses”
(AppleDash)

Applejack sat across the table from her competitor and tried with all her might to ignore the stinging in her eyes. She couldn't give up. She couldn't cry—because if she was the first to cry, that meant her opponent won.

She wasn't quite sure just how she knew that, but she did.

Just as she knew that ornery blue pegasus on the other side of the table would never let her live it down.

Truth be told, Rainbow Dash's own eyes were looking a bit moist themselves. The hint of tears made those deep pink irises shine even more brightly than they usually did, and Applejack had to redouble her efforts to pony up and not give in to the urge to blubber like a baby foal.

On the table before them sat two plates of half-finished food—apple dumplings for the earth pony and a spinach frittata for the pegasus—as well as a half-burned candle that had been shoved into an empty wine bottle. It was a nice restaurant. Much nicer than Applejack would have expected, actually, and that had worried her. This entire evening stank with the unmistakable whiff of Rarity-specific meddling, and that never meant anything good.

The golden horseshoe that sat right next to the wine bottle had only confirmed Applejack's suspicions.

Rainbow Dash swallowed, and tiny beads of sweat started trickling down her face. Applejack fought back a grin—the brash young flier was never so adorable as she was when nervous. "So, uh, yeah." Rainbow coughed loudly. "Are you … y'know, gonna answer my question? Sometime this year, maybe?"

Applejack raised an eyebrow. "Well, sugar cube, I reckoned that you wouldn't have asked the question if ya weren't pretty sure what answer you were gonna get."

"Oh, for cryin' out—" Glaring ferociously, Dash bit off whatever she'd been about to say next. "C'mon, Applejack. Humor me here, will ya?"

The stinging behind Applejack's eyes was growing worse, to the point it was almost unbearable, and she quickly leaned across the table so that she could whisper in the pegasus' ear. "The answer's yes," she murmured in a soft voice, breathing in the clean scent of rain that always lingered in Dash's mane. "Shoulda known even before ya asked that I'd say yes."

"R-really?"

And it was this—that slight hitch in Rainbow's voice, that heartbreaking tone of surprise—that caused Applejack to lose. That finally let flow all those tears she'd been holding back.

"Oh, Rainbow." She wrapped her forelegs around the other pony, holding tight. "O' course the answer's yes. The answer's been 'yes' since the day we met, ya blind fool."

There was a brief silence, little longer than a heartbeat, before Rainbow Dash let out a laugh that was loud and pure. "You said yes! You really said yes!" The pegasus rubbed her cheek against Applejack's, and suddenly the farmer could feel hot tears that weren't her own. "You're really gonna marry me!"

Applejack rolled her eyes, but a smile tugged at her lips nonetheless. "S'what I said, sure enough."

"You said yes," Rainbow repeated, quieter, her voice trembling like a string on a fiddle. "You said yes … "

And Applejack shut her eyes, the tears still trickling down, and for once in her life, she found that she didn't mind so much that she'd lost. That she'd been the first to break, the first to cry. For once, it was all right. Better than all right, even.

Still smiling, she huskily replied, "I love you … ya featherbrained idiot."

"I love you too.” Rainbow Dash laughed again, and somehow it sounded even happier than the first laugh. “You stubborn old mule."


Author's Notes: Just another little story that I adapted from something I wrote for a writing prompt.