• Published 23rd Mar 2013
  • 21,197 Views, 1,337 Comments

Guardian Angel - Mayhem Darkshadow



Scootaloo had been without a family for a very long time. She has never told anypony about her situation. It isn't until a certain purple unicorn learns about her origins that she discovers what a family truly is.

  • ...
31
 1,337
 21,197

A New Friend

Written by: Mayhem Darkshadow
Edited by: psychohooves and Avatar of Shadow

Chapter 6: A New Friend

Scootaloo was being chased through the woods by the Timberwolves. She ran as fast as she could, but she couldn't escape them. Eventually the wolves cornered her, so she was trapped. As the wolves closed in on her Scootaloo looked around for Twilight to save her, but Twilight never came. Scootaloo screamed and shut her eyes as the wolves pounced at her, not wanting to look death in the face.

**********

Scootaloo woke up panting from yet another nightmare. Ever since Diamond Tiara and the Everfree Forest, the little filly had been suffering such nightmares. Sometimes it was just one per night. Other times Scootaloo would have several. The past week had been rough for both her and Twilight, neither of them able to get any sleep. Scootaloo felt bad for constantly awaking Twilight. However, Twilight told her to not worry about it and that it was part of her motherly duties. Tonight's bad dream was the same one she had been experiencing the past few days. Tears welled up in Scootaloo's eyes, and she sobbed quietly. It didn't take long for Twilight to rush into her daughter’s room. Twilight took Scootaloo in her arms instantly and rocked her slowly.

"Shh... it’s okay Scootaloo... Mama's here for you," cooed Twilight softly.

Twilight wiped some tears from her daughter’s eyes and continued to rock Scootaloo slowly. Scootaloo whimpered and buried her face in Twilight chest.

"Was it the same nightmare as before?" Twilight asked curiously.

Scootaloo nodded her head but kept her face hidden from view. Twilight bent her head down and nuzzled Scootaloo's cheek. "I'm sorry sweetheart. I promise I'll try and figure out a way to help you get through this."

Scootaloo looked up into her mother’s eyes. The sight of Scootaloo’s big purple tear-filled eyes made Twilight's heart melt.

"Please stay..." whispered Scootaloo.

Twilight bent down and gave Scootaloo a kiss. "Of course I'll stay."

Scootaloo smiled weakly and cuddled closer to Twilight. Using magic, Twilight covered themselves with a blanket. Before dozing off, Scootaloo spoke quietly.

"Mom... Do I have to go to school tomorrow?"

Twilight's eyes popped open. Ms. Cheerilee had been very lenient about letting Scootaloo skip school and assured Twilight that she could skip as long as she needed to recover. Twilight had been against the idea but after seeing the effects of sleep deprivation caused Scootaloo and her, she allowed it. To ensure that Scootaloo didn't fall behind in her studies, Cheerilee would bring over the day’s homework and lesson plan. Still, Twilight didn't want the little filly to miss too many days of school.

"No, you don't. I'll send Ms. Cheerilee a note in the morning," replied Twilight.

Scootaloo nuzzled Twilight's neck as a thank you. It didn't take long for her to fall back to sleep. Twilight was awake for a bit longer thinking about how she was going to help Scootaloo get over the nightmares. She had some ideas but she needed to read into them first. For now, she decided that sleep is the best option.

**********

Twilight, despite how much she didn't want to, woke up at her normal time of seven. Scootaloo was still fast asleep, causing Twilight to feel happy. Twilight figured since she wasn't going to be able to fall back asleep, she could use the time to do some research on a method to help Scootaloo sleep. Being extremely cautious Twilight slid out of bed and went downstairs. As she trotted downstairs she thought of some different ways to help her little filly get through the nightmares. The only problem was that a lot of sleep spells and potions had some nasty side effects. Until she was sure that Scootaloo wouldn’t get hurt in the process, Twilight wasn’t going to do anything.

Before anything though I need some coffee, Twilight thought to herself.

Twilight made a bee-line for the kitchen and, within a few minutes, had herself a steaming hot cup of Joe. The first sip was like a gift from the gods. After taking a moment to enjoy her new found energy Twilight went out to the main room of the library and got to work. Using magic she grabbed all the books the library had on sleep deprivation and sleep aids. She was disappointed to find that there were only half a dozen books. Still Twilight knew she was bound to find something. She picked up the first book, made herself comfortable, and began working on her project.

**********

Twilight was the only resident in the entire library. Around nine o'clock Spike rolled out of bed. Finding out that he had to send a letter immediately after he woke up was not his preferred way to start a day; however, after a few cups of coffee he returned to his perky self and proceeded to do his chores.

"So Scoots didn't go to school?" Spike asked Twilight curiously.

Twilight looked up from the current book she was reading and shook her head. "Nope. She had another nightmare, so I'm letting her sleep in."

"I'm sorry Twilight," responded Spike.

Twilight smiled and thanked him. "It’s alright Spike. I guess it’s all part of being a mother."

They both shared a laugh before getting back to their respective tasks. Scootaloo didn't slump downstairs until around eleven o'clock.

"Morning sleepyhead," chimed Twilight.

Scootaloo responded with a grumble and made her way to the kitchen. After finishing the last page of her book, Twilight followed Scootaloo.

"You want some oatmeal?" Twilight asked her tired little filly. Scootaloo only responded with another grumble before she slammed her face onto the table. Twilight giggled quietly and went about fixing Scootaloo's breakfast.

"All I planned to do today is some reading, but if you want to do anything fun, we can," explained Twilight as she was cooking breakfast.

"Um...I kind of just want to go back to sleep," yawned Scootaloo.

Twilight put the bowl of oatmeal in front of the filly and ruffled her mane. "That's fine. You need to catch up on your sleep anyway."

Scootaloo smiled and slowly dug into her breakfast. Twilight rubbed her on the back slowly then proceeded to clean up the kitchen. Neither of them made a peep. As Twilight finished up she turned to see how Scootaloo was doing. What she saw caused her to burst into hysterics. Scootaloo had plopped face first into her half eaten bowl of oatmeal. Twilight couldn't control herself and burst into a fit of laughter.

"Oh Scootaloo, you just brightened up my day," snickered Twilight.

Once Twilight had regained her composure, she retrieved a towel and cleaned Scootaloo up. She had difficulty controlling herself as she did so. After Scootaloo was clean, Twilight took her back up her room and put Scootaloo in bed.

At least she's getting more sleep, Twilight thought to herself.

**********

Scootaloo slept for most of the day which gave Twilight plenty of time to find a way to help Scootaloo sleep better at night. After pouring through the books Twilight believed she found something. A sleep potion seemed to be the best bet since sleep spells were a bit more complicated. The particular potion she found was not very strong and helps soothe the mind as the drinker slept. The worst side effect was heavy sleeping. Twilight felt this was enough of a price to play considering the advantages of having Scootaloo sleep better. Twilight figured that while she had time, she could whip up a bit and they could test the potion tonight, but as she was about to head to the basement, there was a knock on the door. Twilight trotted over to it and opened the door. She had figured that it would be Cheerilee with Scootaloo's homework and her lesson plan. She was surprised to find both Thunderlane and Rumble standing in the doorway.

"Thunderlane this quite the surprise," Twilight said, slightly baffled.

Thunderlane gave Twilight a cheeky smile. "Expecting somepony else?'

Twilight's blushed dark red in embarrassment. "Oh no I just...I'm sorry... I'm making a fool of myself."

Thunderlane chuckled, and even Rumble let out a small snicker. Twilight laughed nervously and let them in.

"So what can I do for the two of you?" Twilight asked politely.

Thunderlane reached into his saddle bag and pulled out a folder. "Cheerilee asked if I could bring these to you. I think she said it was homework and a lesson plan. Also I guess the kids in class made Scootaloo a "Get Well Soon" card. Rumble volunteered to bring it over."

Twilight turned to Rumble and gave him a smile. "Scootaloo's room is upstairs. It’ll be the first door on the right. She probably isn't awake and if that's the case I'll give it to her when she wakes up."

Rumble thanked Twilight and trotted upstairs leaving Thunderland and Twilight alone.

"So...how's she doing?" asked Thunderlane curiously.

Twilight shook her head. "Not good. She hasn't been getting any sleep and she is having one or more nightmares a night."

Twilight let out a sigh and slumped into a chair. Thunderlane took a seat across from her, listening intently to what Twilight had to say.

"I feel so bad for her, and I just don't know what to do," complained Twilight.

Assuming Twilight had nothing else to say, Thunderlane spoke up. "I'm sure you'll come up with something Twilight. How are you doing though? You sound rather stressed."

Twilight eyed Thunderlane. "Yeah I am a little bit stressed, but she's my little girl. I could use a good stress reliever though."

"Well then...maybe you'd like to join me for dinner and a movie this Friday?" Thunderlane asked nervously.

Twilight's face went pink. "You mean...like a date?"

Thunderlane nodded slightly. "It’s only if you want to. If you don't... I'll understand."

An awkward silence filled the room, and, after it became almost unbearable, Twilight spoke up.

"Sure Thunderlane. I'd love to go to dinner and a movie with you," smiled Twilight.

Thunderlane felt as if a huge weight had been lifted from his chest. "That really makes me happy Twilight."

Twilight felt herself begin to blush more. Thankfully, Rumble began to make his way downstairs.

"She's awake Ms. Twilight," Rumble announced. "She also told me to tell you that she's hungry."

Twilight chuckled softly. "Thank you for telling me that Rumble. I guess I should get started on dinner."

Before more awkwardness ensued Thunderlane gathered up Rumble and they made their way out.

"So I'll see you Friday then Twilight," Thunderlane called.

Twilight's cheeks went pink again and she smiled nervously. "S-See you then Thunderlane."

Thunderlane gave Twilight a smile and shut the front door to the library. Twilight let out a sigh of relief and then had a small laugh.

I wonder how Scootaloo is going to take this... Twilight thought to herself.

**********

It turned out that Scootaloo wasn’t mad at all. In fact she was quite happy for Twilight. They chatted about it over dinner.

"So you aren't mad honey?" Twilight asked as they ate.

Scootaloo swallowed her mouthful of food and raised an eyebrow at her mother. "No...Why would I be?"

"I just thought that since Rumble is one of your best friends, you might feel a bit weird about me going on a date with his brother," explained Twilight.

Scootaloo looked at Twilight, processed what she said, and broke into a fit of giggles. "Oh Mom. You are so paranoid! But that's why I love you."

Twilight smiled and joined her daughter in laughter. All the mushy lovey behavior was a bit much for poor Spike.

"Ugh... You two are going to kill me," Spike complained openly.

Twilight and Scootaloo looked at the disgruntled baby dragon and laughed even harder. Spike knew they were joking but decided to leave the table and let them have their moment. After the two ponies wiped the tears out of their eyes from laughing so hard, Twilight finally spoke up.

"Okay sweetheart, why don't you go work on your homework while I clean up the kitchen and go finish up your potion?"

Scootaloo tilted her head in confusion. "My potion?"

Twilight suddenly realized she hadn't told Scootaloo about the sleeping potion. "Oh my bad. I got so caught up in making it that I forgot to tell you about it. To help you sleep better I whipped up a sleeping potion. It calms the mind and induces a deep sleep. Tonight, we're going to find out if it works."

"Oh...okay," responded Scootaloo.

Scootaloo hopped out of her chair and went upstairs to work on her homework. Twilight smiled and proceeded to clean up the dishes which only took her about five minutes. The silence gave Twilight to think about her plans this Friday. Twilight wouldn't deny that she sometimes eyed Thunderlane from afar, especially after the ordeal where he got a fifth of the pegasi in Ponyville sick; however, she decided a long time ago that she didn't have the courage to ask him how he felt.

I'm getting ahead of myself, Twilight thought, Shift your focus back to your daughter, Twilight.

Twilight shook her head and made her way downstairs. A small flask was boiling on a burner. The liquid in the flask was bright blue, which was a good sign.

Good. The potion looks like it's done.

Twilight walked over to the bench and gave the potion a sniff. She sputtered and coughed from the pungent odor, though it couldn’t be smelt from far away.

I'd imagine this potion probably tastes as bad as it smells.

Twilight looked around at the various ingredients she had sitting on her desk to see if she had anything that could give the potion some better flavor. Nothing looked like it was going to work until something in a very small vial caught her eye.

Hmm... spearmint oil. That might work.

Twilight levitated the vial over and gave the contents in the jar a sniff to see if it were fresh. After confirming that it was fresh, Twilight smiled at her brilliance and carefully tipped some of the liquid into the flask and waited to see what happened. She knew that if the color changed even slightly the oil probably altered the potion in a way that it would be unsafe for Scootaloo. After a few minutes of waiting nothing seemed to happen. Twilight bent in closer and gave the potion another sniff. The aroma was much more pleasant now. Pulling the flask off the burner so it could cool down Twilight went back upstairs so she could get a glass for the potion. She had only made enough potion just for tonight, but if the trial run was successful, Twilight would whip up a much larger batch tomorrow.

I just pray that this works. Is it too much to ask for a good night’s sleep for both of us?

Sighing, Twilight grabbed a glass and went back downstairs. The potion was still nuclear hot so Twilight sat down and waited. It gave her time to double and triple check the potion’s side effects. The worst was heavy sleeping and that only happened if the dosage was too high. When the potion was just warm enough to drink Twilight poured it into the cup and went upstairs to Scootaloo's room. She found the filly sitting at her desk scratching her head with a pencil.

"How's the homework going?" Twilight asked curiously.

Scootaloo didn't take her eyes of the paper but did give a response. "Meh."

Twilight set the glass of potion down and took a seat next to Scootaloo. "What are you having problems with?"

"The last problem," groaned Scootaloo.

Twilight pulled the piece of paper with the problem on it towards her and read the question out loud. "Mr. Greenhooves has one hundred and forty feet of fencing to put around a garden. He wants the fence he builds to use all of the fencing. If he wants the fence to be twenty feet wide how long does the fence need to be to use all one hundred and forty feet?"

Twilight pushed the paper back towards Scootaloo and raised an eyebrow at her. "So what's the problem?"

Scootaloo scratched her head. "Well I think I figured out how to do it... I'm just not sure."

"Then explain your method to me," said Twilight patiently.

Scootaloo grabbed a piece of scratch paper and scribbled down the math for her mother. "Well if the fence needs to be twenty feet wide and that means two sides will be twenty feet so total that's forty feet. If you subtract forty from a hundred and forty, you’re left with one hundred feet. Since there are two sides left you can divide a hundred by two and you get fifty."

Twilight looked into Scootaloo's eyes and gave her a small nod of approval. "You're correct sweetheart. You really need to stop questioning your own methods."

"I know I know," replied Scootaloo. She rolled eyes a little bit as she wrote down the answer on her answer sheet.

"Any other problems?" prodded Twilight playfully. She gave Scootaloo a poke in the sides with her hoof. Scootaloo responded with a small fit of giggles and pushed Twilight away so as to avoid further poking.

"No, this homework was actually pretty easy."

Twilight gave Scootaloo one more poke and then pulled the homework over towards her. "Let's just take a look."

Twilight glanced over the homework problems and then double checked the answer sheet. Twilight was very proud to find all the answers one hundred percent correct. She reached forward and gave Scootaloo a nuzzle. "Good job Scootaloo. All correct answers. Why don't you go get ready for bed."

"Sure thing Mom," replied Scootaloo casually.

Scootaloo hopped out of her chair and went across the hallway to the bathroom. Meanwhile, Twilight pulled the blankets back on her daughter’s bed and even fluffed up the pillows a little. She then checked the potion quickly, making sure it was still warm. Scootaloo walked back into the room and gave a big yawn.

"Hopefully this potion helps you sleep better. I guess we'll find out," said Twilight.

Scootaloo really didn't pay much mind to what Twilight was talking about. Right now all she wanted to do was shut her eyes and catch some z's. Before she was completely tucked in Twilight levitated the glass over.

"Alright open up and drink it all," explained Twilight.

Scootaloo gave another yawn and gave a weak nod. With help from Twilight her got the glass up to her lips and started drinking. She immediately started sputtering and spitting.

"What's wrong?" asked Twilight in a slight panic.

Scootaloo coughed a bit before giving a answer. "Blah! Too minty!"

Scootaloo continued to cough, and Twilight patted her on the back.

"I'm sorry... I won’t put as much next time. Try to drink the rest though."

Scootaloo looked reluctantly at the glass of foul liquid. After plugging her nose, she put the glass back up to her lips and quickly chugged the rest of the sleeping potion.

"Ugh that was terrible," complained Scootaloo.

Twilight noted the problems with the potion and made sure she'd take care of them with the next batch, assuming the potion actually worked. It appeared to be working because within a minute, Scootaloo was drifting in and out of consciousness. Twilight gave her a kiss and tucked her in.

"Good night Scootaloo. I'll see you in the morning," whispered Twilight. The only response was a small smile just before Scootaloo was out completely. Twilight smiled and left the room quietly, praying that this would be a sleep filled night for the both of them.

**********

It turned out that the sleep potion worked perfectly. Scootaloo slept soundly and got a solid eight hours of sleep, meaning that, much to Scootaloo's protest, she had to go to school that day. Twilight had to put quite a bit of effort even into getting Scootaloo out of bed, but, after a few stern words and the threat of potential punishment, the two of them were on their way to the schoolhouse.

"You know I would have gotten out of bed eventually," complained Scootaloo, "You didn't have to threaten to ground me."

Twilight, still a bit angry from this morning’s events, responded in a rather rough tone. "Well I didn't want you to be late for school. You've skipped enough days for school in the past week."

Scootaloo could tell Twilight was rather sour so she didn't say another word for the rest of the walk. The silence was unsettling, but Twilight finally spoke up when they arrived at the Schoolhouse.

"I'm sorry for snapping at you sweetie... I haven't had my cup of coffee this morning," apologized Twilight.

Scootaloo gave Twilight a weak smile as a form of acceptance in which Twilight responded with a kiss on the cheek.

"Have a good day at school. If you want to do anything afterwards remember to come at tell me first."

Scootaloo nodded her head and ran inside so she wouldn't be late. With less than five minutes to spare, Scootaloo entered the classroom, much to Cheerilee’s surprise.

"It's good to see you Scootaloo," chimed Cheerilee, "I'm glad to see that you're doing better."

Scootaloo gave her teacher a grin and went to her desk, though she immediately noticed something different. Normally she was squashed between Silver Spoon and Diamond Tiara. Silver Spoon was still in her normal spot; however, Diamond Tiara's old seat was now occupied by Rumble. Scootaloo also noticed that Diamond Tiara was not in the classroom. As soon as she sat down Scootaloo leaned across to Rumble and spoke to him.

"Hey Rumble where's You Know Who?" whispered Scootaloo to her friend.

Rumble turned to Scootaloo and gave her a quick answer. "She hasn't been here in a week. Ms. Cheerilee won't say anything or give any hint as to if she's actually coming back."

Scootaloo was about to ask Rumble another question but Ms. Cheerilee called their attention. Instead Scootaloo shot a glance at Silver Spoon, who appeared to be doing fine. In fact Silver Spoon's behavior was the same as always. Her note books were out and she was giving Cheerliee all her attention. I suppose this was why she was the number one student in the class and didn't get anything but A's on assignments and tests.

"Scootaloo are you going to pay attention today or should I send you home?"

Scootaloo's attention snapped back and she realized Ms. Cheerliee was speaking to her. "Oh... Sorry Ms. Cheerliee."

Cheerilee eyed her student but blew it off and started her lesson, but not even ten minutes in there was a knock on the door. It opened to reveal Filthy Rich. Standing by his side was none other than Diamond Tiara, and she looked furious. Scootaloo immediately felt a wave of chills shoots down her spine. Diamond Tiara's glare was going back and forth between two ponies in the room, Scootaloo and Silver Spoon.

"Sorry we're late Ms. Cheerilee," apologized Filthy Rich, "It was a struggle to get out of the house this morning."

Cheerilee examined Diamond Tiara. It was hard to tell what emotion she was expressing. "That's quite alright Mr. Rich."

Filthy Rich nodded at Ms. Cheerilee and pushed Diamond Tiara into the class room. "If she does anything wrong you know where to contact me."

With a nod of his head Filthy Rich left the school house. Diamond Tiara's scowl became worse when she realized all the ponies in the room were staring at her. "What? What are all you losers staring at?"

"Diamond Tiara. Watch your mouth," snapped Ms. Cheerilee.

Diamond Tiara flipped around and glared at her teacher. Everypony waited for something to happen but instead she made her way to her chair. When she realized Rumble was sitting in it steam shot out of her ears.

"Get out of my seat you stupid little pegasus," she growled.

"I just told you to watch your mouth young lady!" shouted Cheerilee, "Your new seat is the empty one in the back. You will take that seat and you'll keep your mouth shut!"

Diamond Tiara clenched her teeth together and walked to her seat. As she walked by she whispered something to Silver Spoon. Scootaloo managed to catch it.

"You’re going to get it at recess."

**********

It was almost torture waiting for Cheerilee to call for recess. Today’s lessons were not that interesting, and everypony, apart from Silver Spoon and Sweetie Belle, had started nodding off. New life filled the classroom when Cheerilee told them to go outside and have a break. Scootaloo kind of wished they could have kept going for Silver Spoon's sake. In fact Scootaloo decided to hang back so she could tell Ms. Cheerliee what she heard, making Cheerilee quite glad towards the little filly.

"I'll keep an eye on her, and I'd like for you to do the same Scootaloo. Call for me if anything happens."

Scootaloo, satisfied that she helped a pony in need, walked outside and found her friends. They all seemed to be staring at something.

"What's going on?" Scootaloo asked them curiously.

Sweetie Belle pointed across the playground and Scootaloo turned her head to see what she was pointing at. Everypony was watching Silver Spoon and Diamond Tiara argue. In actuality, it was just Diamond Tiara belittling Silver Spoon. Being able to hear their words only made it harder to watch.

"I can't believe you ratted me out you little brat. I told you that if you did anything to stop me, I'd tell everypony your deepest and darkest secret," spat Diamond Tiara.

Silver Spoon couldn't do anything but cower, making Diamond Tiara even more furious. "Losing your edge Silver Spoon? Normally you'd have some kind of comeback. This, though, is pretty pathetic. You're going all soft."

Silver Spoon gulped. She looked around hoping somepony would help her. Diamond Tiara noticed this and struck Silver Spoon across the face. The poor grey Earth Pony filly hit the ground hard, her glasses sliding away from the impact.

"You're pathetic Silver Spoon. I always knew you were really just my sidekick and not my friend and equal," snarled Diamond Tiara.

Scootaloo couldn't watch anymore and she intervened. "Why don't you leave her alone Diamond Tiara?!"

Diamond Tiara flipped around to see who was challenging her and burst into laughter when she realized it was Scootaloo.

"Defending this little whelp are we you stupid blank flank?" laughed Diamond Tiara, "I guess trash defends trash these days."

Scootaloo glared at her enemy and did her best to defend herself and Silver Spoon.

"You know you really are something Diamond. If you looked up the word ‘snob’ in the dictionary, you'd probably just find a picture of yourself. In fact if you looked up the word ‘pathetic’ in the dictionary you'd also find a picture of yourself!!" retorted Scootaloo.

Fire irrupted in Diamond Tiara's eyes, and steamed poured out of her ears. She began to move in on Scootaloo, who was standing her ground, but was cut short.

"DIAMOND TIARA YOU GET YOUR FLANK INSIDE RIGHT NOW!!!"

Cheerilee was standing the doorway and she was furious. None of her students had ever seen her so angry, causing a lot of her students to feel terrified. Cheerliee stomped over to Diamond Tiara and pulled her, rather forcefully inside the Schoolhouse.

"Scootaloo would you please make sure Silver Spoon is okay," she grunted as she forced Diamond Tiara to follow her.

Scootaloo nodded and started by retrieving Silver Spoon's glasses. When Scootaloo actually got closer to the fallen pony, she realized Silver Spoon was crying.

"Umm...I have your glasses Silver Spoon," Scootaloo said awkwardly.

Silver Spoon sniffed and grabbed the glasses, very happy that they weren’t broken.

"Thanks Scootaloo," whimpered Silver Spoon. As she looked herself over Silver realized that she wasn't hurt.

"There is something really wrong with that filly," growled Scootaloo quietly.

Silver Spoon sniffed and nodded, having nothing to say.

"Seriously though, are you okay Silver Spoon?" Scootaloo asked.

Silver Spoon wiped a few more tears from her eyes. "Yeah I'm okay I guess."

Scootaloo was going to be nice and see if Silver Spoon wanted to come sit with her friends and herself. However, Cheerilee called them inside before they could. They two of them looked at each other and decided to just go inside.

**********

Diamond Tiara was not at school for much longer. Cheerilee had called her father, and Filthy Rich arrived in an instant to take the brat away after he made her apologize to Cheerilee and the class. That was pretty much the only eventful occurrence until lunch. Everypony made their way outside to eat as it was a nice fall day. Scootaloo was with her fellow Crusaders and they were talking about plans for the weekend, though Scootaloo looked over and saw something that actually made her heart sink a little: Silver Spoon eating lunch, alone. This made Scootaloo feel bad as she turned back to her friends.

"I'm going to go see if Silver Spoon wants to eat with us," Scootaloo announced. Both of Scootaloo's friends glanced at her but didn't protest. Besides, Scootaloo would have simply argued if they refused. As Scootaloo walked over to where Silver Spoon was sitting she questioned herself as to why she was doing it. On one hoof Silver Spoon had treated Scootaloo and her friends horribly for years. On the other hoof if it wasn't for Silver Spoon, Scootaloo knew she might not be alive today. Despite how much she wanted to simply turn around and go back to her friends, more of her knew that she needed to extend a friendly gesture to her savior.

"Hey Silver Spoon," Scootaloo said rather quietly.

Silver Spoon looked up from her sandwich. "Yeah?"

"I...I noticed you were eating alone and...I don't know...I was wondering if you maybe wanted to join my friends and me," mumbled Scootaloo.

Silver Spoon gazed at Scootaloo and said nothing, causing Scootaloo to feel rather creeped out. Then finally Silver Spoon opened her mouth and spoke.

"Um...I suppose I could."

Scootaloo gave Silver Spoon a rather awkward smile and waited for her to pack up her lunch. Once she was ready the two of them walked back over to Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle silently. When they sat down Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle eyeballed Silver Spoon. Nopony said anything though and the silence became very awkward. Finally Scootaloo couldn't take it anymore and tried to make small talk.

"So...are you okay after earlier?" Scootaloo asked quietly.

Silver Spoon looked up and nodded. "To be honest that's not the first time that's happened."

Scootaloo, Apple Bloom, and Sweetie Belle all looked at each other.

"Well if that happened before then why are you friends with her?" questioned Sweetie Belle.

"Well," started Silver Spoon, "This may surprise you but I was Diamond Tiara's only friend. I only put up with her so she wouldn't be alone."

"Well actually Silver I ain't surprised that y'all are that brat’s only friend," replied Applebloom.

"Yeah... she's horrible to so many ponies... Not just us. Seriously I don't know anypony that liked her except for you," Sweetie Belle added.

Silver Spoon let out a sigh. "Yeah, you're both right. I wasn't any better either. That’s probably why I don't have too many friends either. Since I associated myself with Diamond so much, most ponies thinks I'm just like her."

"Well maybe this is a chance for you to change that," said Scootaloo.

Silver Spoon looked over at Scootaloo and gave her a small smile. "You might be right. Maybe in time I can right all my wrongs. I certainly don't want to hang out with that sociopath anymore."

The three Crusaders all smiled at each other. They would have never guessed that this was Silver Spoon's normal behavior. Individually they were all glad that they were getting to witness the better side of their former enemy.

"Hey Silver Spoon you wanna hang out with us after school?" Scootaloo asked.

Silver Spoon thought about the request. She obviously wouldn't be hanging out with Diamond Tiara anymore. Also her parents were still gone so if she went home she's probably just sit around doing nothing.

"Sure," replied Silver Spoon quickly, "Why not?"

The four fillies spent the rest of the time talking and getting to know one another better, mostly the Crusaders learning more about Silver Spoon and Silver Spoon learning more about the Crusader's. When Cheerilee called them in from lunch all four of them were excited for when school ended so they could go have fun. Silver Spoon was especially excited. While she didn't want to jump to conclusions this felt like the start of some wonderful friendships.

Author's Note:

So I was kind of nervous about this chapter. You all know my choice now. After collaboration (and some convincing) my editors and I came to the decision that Thunderlane was the best choice. If you like it that's great. If you don't like it...well sorry about that.