• Published 16th Jul 2013
  • 2,726 Views, 100 Comments

To See The Light - archonix



On the advent of her coronation, Princess "Derpy" De Raptura continues to adjust to life as Equestria's newest ruler, but soon finds that the power she was granted requires a greater sacrifice than she could ever have thought possible.

  • ...
10
 100
 2,726

3. But Here I Am Under The Sky

03. But here I Am Under The Sky

The rain fell all day and night and continued to fall the next. And the day after it fell some more.

Free of the control of its pegasus drivers the storm had intensified, its great bulk piling up against the side of Canter Peak as it slowly wound its way along the fertile valleys below Canterlot. From a distance it seemed as if the capital had disappeared into the heart of a bright new range of mountains. White cloud rose and fell with a gentle grace that belied the treacherous air currents roiling within them, so powerful that even if the weather teams had remained they would no longer be able to bring the storm under control.

Beneath the cloud it was as if night had returned again. The storm raged and thundered, flinging lightning around with abandon as it poured months worth of rain onto the streets of Canterlot, transforming the entire city into a network of canals. Few dared venture outdoors except for the most pressing or foolhardy of reasons. Even the normally efficient city postal service faltered despite having weathered the Long Night without interruption to their schedule, its hardy employees refusing to risk drowning on the city streets in what should have been the middle of summer.

The city slumbered beneath the storm and waited patiently for the rain to cease, content to hide.

High above, the palace towered like a beacon, every visible window burning bright and clear against the storm. Its upper reaches were lost amongst those same wracked clouds, but the glow of their lights was a constant nimbus that now shone day and night. In those dark days when the sun had seemed lost to the world the palace had become a beacon of stability. As long as the palace lights burned, so the story went, Equestria would survive.

Atop it all, on a balcony overlooking a city now lost beneath the same glowing mist, one light burned bright as the sun as Equestria's young new ruler stood in the blinding rain. Not a single drop touched her light grey coat. Her golden mane drifted about her head, mirroring the cloud that swirled around her palatial home, and her eyes shone with the light of life itself. She took a deep breath, held it and spread her wings.

Far away above the storm, the sun rose to begin the day anew.

Derpy lowered her wings and let her breath flow free. Her mane fell limp to her sides, returning from its golden, sphere-speckled aura to a plain flaxen blonde. With her power hidden her coat was soaked almost straight away; her mane soon slicked against her body as the rain drove it flat on her scalp. She stood then, with her eyes still closed and her head held high, letting the rain batter her flesh, uncaring.

After some time, though she was not sure how long, she noticed another presence. She opened her eyes to a gentle light glowing to her left and found another pony, another alicorn standing beside her. The other watched her intently through lavender eyes as Derpy gave a small but courteous bow.

The first time they had met it had taken the form of the departed Celestia, sparking no end of rumour and speculation in the streets below. Subsequent mornings it had appeared in a similar guise, recognisably Celestia's form, but differing in odd little details. Today the differences were more profound. Her mane flowed a bright, solid green and her face bore the proud nobility of a warrior rather than the gentle motherly image of before. She was smaller too, harder, a pony accustomed to privation and lack and conflict, so unlike the Celestia who had watched over a millennium of peace.

The Sun spoke.

"You shelter not from the elements. Why?"

Derpy was never sure how to respond to that sort of question.

Her relationship with the Sun was unusual. First and foremost there was the fact that she could have a relationship with the Sun at all. The Sun was wise beyond any pony she had encountered before, wiser than her old gramma, who always knew when Derpy had been at the cookie jar. Wiser even than Twilight Sparkle, who Derpy knew to be a very smart mare indeed. Yet despite all the apparent wisdom it kept asking her the strangest of questions and there were moments when it seemed like it really didn't understand anything at all.

Wisdom was not Derpy's own strength. She knew she wasn't the smartest of ponies, recent experiences with Twilight aside. In the end all she could do was be honest. And so she was.

"I like the rain."

If the Sun had any sort of reaction to her answer it wasn't showing it. The face it wore looked merely thoughtful as it slowly circled Derpy, never taking its eyes from her face. "You enjoy that which your predecessor professed to be 'a pain in the flank'."

"I was a delivery mare for years. Neither snow nor rain or any of that stuff." Derpy scuffed her hoof on the stone tile of the balcony as she thought back just a scant few weeks to her past. "I learned to enjoy it. I could either enjoy it or go mad and quit my job. I couldn't afford to quit so I didn't really have a choice."

"The choice is now available, yet you continue to choose the discomfort." The Sun paused to look up at the sky, unheeding of the same discomfort. At first Derpy had thought the rain was falling through the strange creature's body but she could see that it didn't now – it was solid as a real pony. Yet when the rain touched its skin it disappeared entirely, leaving the avatar dry and untouched.

It turned to look at her again, its face entirely neutral. "Why?"

"Because it's who I am."

Derpy shook her wings, sending a cloud of spray up to be lost in the overwhelming flow of the storm. For a brief moment she was back on her rounds, grounded and soaked, skulking between houses that were all but invisible in the pouring rain and loving every moment of it. Then, as now, true solitude had been a rare thing; she was always meeting ponies on her round or looking after Dinky and Sparkler. A rainy day was the only time she got to truly be alone on her own terms for any length of time.

"Because I can be mother to my daughters and a friend to Twilight and all that other stuff, but if I'm really gonna live for thousands of years then that'll be just a tiny part of my life. One day all I'll have left is you and this rain. If I stop enjoying this, who would I be?"

The Sun didn't answer. When Derpy looked the avatar it had inhabited was gone, lost to the clattering rain, which meant she had a visitor. This too had become a habit. Except for their initial meeting the Sun spoke to Derpy alone, refusing to even appear if any other pony was present. The idea that the spirit of the sun itself could be nervous around other ponies was hard to accept, yet it was the only explanation Derpy could come up with for its reluctant nature.

The Princess turned her back on the empty spot and found Twilight Sparkle a short distance beyond the balcony doors, sheltering from the rain beneath the glowing light of a magical shield. Something of a family specialty, she'd said once. Derpy didn't have any reason to doubt the claim.

"I guess I missed her again?"

Derpy nodded. "I'm sorry, Twilight."

The archmage smiled and shook her head. "It's okay. She probably knows I'd have questions to ask that she's likely too busy to answer, what with the whole light and life of the world thing."

Twilight extended her shield to cover Derpy as she trotted back toward the doors. Much as she enjoyed the rain the Princess didn't try and stop the kind gesture; she didn't want to hurt Twilight's feelings. And she had to admit that it was possible to have too much of a good thing.

"Why do we even call her a she anyway? It's not like the sun has a gender." The door closed behind them, dulling the steady roar of rain and wind to a dull rumble, punctuated by the occasional slap of a squall against the glass. "It's a giant flaming ball of gas."

"I felt the same when I was pregnant with Dinky."

The look that got from Twilight was worth every single moment Derpy would have to spend in her splendid isolation. Taking advantage of the silence while her friend tried to gather her thoughts, Derpy sauntered over to a heap of cushions near the fire and lay down. Once she had settled herself into the plush comfort of the pile, she spread her wings and sighed as the fire's heat soaked into them.

Over the crackling flames she could hear Twilight pottering about the study, mumbling under her breath as she organised the day. Quite when the archmage had decided to take on the role of royal secretary was a little hazy, but she did a pretty good job. It was just that it wasn't her job to be good at.

"Twilight."

The rustling of parchment abruptly ceased, leaving just the crackling fire and the sound of Derpy's breathing. The Princess opened her eyes and rolled her head toward the soundless space. Behind a pile of official documents Twilight sat very still, her hooves pressed against the surface of the desk.

She took a breath and closed her eyes. "Highness?"

Derpy lowered her wings, giving them a light flutter to release a little of the moisture still lurking in their depths. She couldn't remember the last time she'd given them more than a cursory preening and it was starting to show, with several of her feathers starting to seriously fray and split. The Princess began absently running her snout through the primaries on her left wing as she spoke.

"You know you don't need to do all that stuff." Her muzzle snagged at a feather that came loose with a barely audible crack. Derpy let it fall to the ground and looked toward Twilight.

"Certainly, your highness."

The voice was one Derpy had quickly come to recognise as Twilight's 'I don't want to talk about it' voice; it was uncannily like Dinky's when she was in a recalcitrant mood, which said a lot about one of them, though she wasn't quite sure which yet. Derpy could have argued the point, maybe told Twilight she was being silly by hiding, but that wouldn't have helped matters. Instead she held out her wing and continued running her muzzle through its feathers.

A few more strokes and another feather slipped free, reliving an itch that had plagued her for days. She let out a quiet sigh and pulled the feather away to join its compatriots on the floor before turning a critical eye on her wings once again, shaking her head at the dismal state they were in.

"You'd think I wouldn't have to do this any more either," she muttered, stretching one wing forward so her foreleg could reach it. With great care she flexed her hoof and ran it leading edge of her wing, smooth out the feathers with a light sheen of oil. It wasn't perfect but it would have to do for now. "And I thought I told you not to call me that."

Despite the cheer in Derpy's voice, Twilight remained sullenly silent, refusing to look up from her neatly stacked papers. Derpy sighed and folded her wings carefully against her back before shuffling around to a more comfortable position.

"Leave that, Twilight. Come here." She patted a cushion on the floor by her side and smiled. Twilight didn't move. "You're going to leave that handsome secretary you got for me with nothing to do."

The gentle barb seemed to work. Twilight shuddered and shook her head, looking around the room as if seeing it for the first time. Taking a deep breath she pushed herself away from the desk and plodded to Derpy's side. There was a slight frown on her face, one eyebrow lowered just slightly below the other over narrowed eyes that didn't seem focused on anything.

As she settled down on the cushion Twilight absent-mindedly leaned over to lay her head against Derpy's side, only to pause mere inches from her shoulder with a confused grimace.

"Sorry," she muttered, pulling herself away again. "Guess I wasn't thinking."

"It's okay," Derpy replied, a timid smile working onto her face. Her ears had laid flat at the sight of her friend feeling so comfortable in her presence, even if it was just for a brief moment; Derpy wasn't sure quite how she should feel about it.

"I used to spend a lot of time like this with the prin-- with Celestia, when I was still very small and learning more basic magical skills. She even let me help her preening once or twice. I didn't realise what that meant until a lot later."

"Dinky likes to help me with mine too. It's different with foals," Derpy replied quietly. She nuzzled at the top of Twilight's head without thought, closing her eyes as she drew in the familiar scent of Twilight's mane.

Both mares caught their breath at the same time, the same chilly feeling running down their spines despite the heat of the fire. Carefully, avoiding any sudden movement, they shuffled away from one another, their stances becoming just that little bit more formal and remote as they settled again. The perfect image of professional interaction.

It was exactly the thing Derpy had wanted to talk about, but now she was as guarded as Twilight, unable to even think about it without her mind bringing up unwanted images. Her wings fluttered at her sides; for something to do she flared one out and plunged her mouth into it, searching for another loose feather, for a snag or a ripple or anything that might occupy her mind.

Slowly the moment passed, the icy barrier between them melting away as each mind sought to reorient itself. To her side Twilight took a deep breath in through her nose then let it flow slowly from her mouth.

"I'm sorry."

The words had come unbidden. Twilight barely reacted, the flick of her ears the only real sign that she had even heard. She stretched out her forelegs and took another deep breath then hauled herself to her hooves.

"Your rehearsal will be in a few hours," Twilight said, her voice remaining carefully neutral. "There's not much to do until then. I could have Dinky and Sparkler come up to spend some time with you, if you like."

While you hide away in your own little tower, Derpy thought sadly. "That would be nice. I've barely had any time with them."

"I know." Her eyes were filled with so much more she wanted to say, so much that Derpy already knew. So much they both already knew.

Twilight turned away then, clearing her throat to break the silence as she stalked back to the desk. Papers flung themselves into the air at her command, rearranging themselves into an order more to her liking. She stared at the shuffling reams without paying any real attention.

"I had a thought, since we're on the subject of your coronation."

Derpy nodded slightly. "I think I can guess. You want to move it to Ponyville."

"The weather will be better," Twilight replied quietly. She let the papers fall to the desk in neat stacks and closed her eyes for a moment. "It'd be nice to see all the girls again. And on a more official level it would establish a nice precedent."

"I don't understand."

With deliberate care, Twilight circled the room and made her way to the window. She stared up at the endless grey wall that surrounded their tower. "You represent something completely new. It's tempting to make statements about the collapse of the old order and the rise of new paradigms, but I think more than anything you represent the Equestria that Canterlot rarely interacts with. You're everything they're not."

She closed her eyes and smiled. "In a way you're everything Celestia wasn't."

"Twilight..."

"It is what is," Twilight said quietly. She turned from the window and walked toward the door with her eyes still closed. "It seems fitting. I think... I think Celestia would have liked to see you crowned somewhere divorced from the old ways."

At the door Twilight paused, her hoof half-way to the handle. She lifted her head and looked over her shoulder at Derpy with an odd half-smile.

"Of course it's up to you," she said quietly.

"I think I'd like it," Derpy replied. Her voice had stayed low; it seemed almost blasphemous to raise it in the presence of her predecessor's name.

Twilight's smile only grew broader. Without a word she opened the door and stepped out, leaving Derpy alone with her fire. The Princess knew her daughters would arrive soon – she could feel the bond between them and herself so powerfully now, one of the many advantages of her new form. Until then she was alone. Or almost alone.

For a moment Derpy saw another pony standing by the windows, staring at the sky with a peculiar smile on her face. Yet before she could even think to speak the avatar was gone, lost to the bright glow of lanterns in the rain-soaked cloud that swirled and shifted around her towering home.

Her hooves itched, memories of her time as a reserve weather teamster forcing their way to her conscious mind at the sight of so much cloud. Closing her eyes, Derpy trotted toward the great doors that led out to the world. She stepped out into the rain and moved to the balcony rail, lifting her wings to soak in the eternally shifting currents of the storm.

High above, the sun continued its lonesome path, undisturbed by any intruder.

Equestria woke to the new dawn.