• Published 21st Mar 2013
  • 2,979 Views, 50 Comments

Story for a sick pony - Alchemystudent



Scootaloo is sick, and gets the chance to hear a story read to her by her idol, Rainbow Dash

  • ...
5
 50
 2,979

Let me read you a story

Story for a Sick Pony

“Colds. Colds-AHHHHHHHCHOOOO-never change,” A little orange pony said as she looked outside and cursed the sunny day, “DARN YOU CELESTIA! Why must you make it so sunny and bright while I am sick.” The little filly looked down on the sheets as she began to think of what her friends are doing right now. She slowly rubbed the warm covers, lamenting her current situation that was leading to her immense boredom. It wouldn’t have been so bad of course, had she actually had anything to do. The problem comes from the fact that she was confined to permanent bed status by her mother and someone she considered to be her sister. Right now, they both seemed like horrible ponies.

“Scootaloo, sweetie, there is some pony here to see you,” Sunny Day said as she opened the door to let a rainbow-maned blue pegasus in.

“Hey there, squirt. How’s the cold treating ya?” Rainbow dash asked as she walked into the door, holding a book in her hooves.

Scootaloo shot Dash a killer look from under her blankets, “I am stuck under the covers, unable to move, and miserable while my best friends in existence are out on a field trip having who knows what adventures. To top it off, my big ‘sister’ is the one responsible for putting me in confinement in the first place!!!!”

“To be fair, you could barely walk when you saw me. You were coughing your head off, sneezing every other word, and you were very hot. I had to make sure you got home and taken care of.”

“But Rainbow, you flew when you were much sicker than I was,” Scootaloo looked down, feeling like she couldn’t live up to her ‘sis’.

“Yeah, but I am awesome,” Rainbow then hugged Scootaloo in comfort, “you are just awesome in training.”

Looking up with a big smile, Scootaloo felt a little better, “Really?”

“Hey. Would I lie to you?” Dash smirked as she said this, “Now, to make you forget what the others are doing I have come to read you a story.”

“Really? Is it another Daring Doo story?” Scoot asked, a little more excited.

“Well, I would but Twilight kind of put me into a Daring Doo restriction for a bit and forced me to get another book. This is still awesome though.” Dash said as she sat next to Scoot, holding out the book.

“Why did she do that?” Scootaloo asked.

“I’ll tell you later...”

“ Oh, well,this isn’t going to be one of those, ‘princess is too weak to be real and needs saving from a bland prince’ stories is it?”

“Naw,” With a smirk, Dash picked up the book and opened the first page, “There was once a beautiful princess.”

“Rainbow Dash!!!!”

“Kidding, kidding,” Dash laughed as she looked at Scootaloo in her eyes, “This story is called, ‘A Farmer’s Journey’.”
__________________________

Once, long ago and even further than that. There was an apple farmer by the name of Abby Jack who worked hard everyday to create the food that her town needed to live. She worked and lived alone because, just a few years ago, her brother and sister had vanished without a trace. Not a day had ever gone by without her thinking about them; however, she still tried her best to fill that missing spot in her heart. She would till and toil along the fields, until one day…they went barren.

She was shocked at all of this and didn’t know why. She took great care of the land and the crops, making sure that it was all filled with nutrients and well watered. It made no sense to her and it was a mystery to everypony else she had asked. The days passed, soon turning into a month and still no food could be grown. The ponies of the town had been reduced to barely a meal per day. As AJ (as that was what the ponies called her and would shorten her name to) began to get more and more worried, she heard a knock at the door, “Who’s there?”

“Just a traveling soldier, in need of help,” Said a deep voiced stallion from the other side of the door.

“Come on in,” AJ said, carefully opening the door.

The light green stallion walked in, stumbling on his hooves and covered in blood, “T-thanks, you have no idea how…” he then fainted on the threshold and at AJ’s feet.

“Oh you poor thing, here let me help you up,” AJ said as she lifted up the stallion on her back and walked into the bedroom.

It took a few days for the stallion to regain consciousness and a few more days before he could talk again. In the meantime, the food stores of the town had finally ran out and led the town’s leaders to begin talks of evacuating the little hamlet and going somewhere else. AJ wasn’t thinking about that though, her mind was on the stallion on the bed, “So, what all had happened to you?”

The light green stallion looked upon AJ and then back to the bed, “A failed rebellion is what happened.”

“A Rebellion? WHY? and who are you?”

“The name is Applesnack. I am, or was, a member of a very high military group back at the capitol. We were the king’s most trusted soldiers until we found out about the horrors and secrets that were kept from us. With a little help from some of our spies and infiltrators, we had made some horrifying discoveries about what he was doing and what he was planning, we forged a rebellion to attack. As you can see, the plan failed,” Applesnack said, showing some of the wounds that adorned his sides and the long red gash on his shoulder.

“What kind of secrets did y’all find out about,” AJ asked looking deep into the eyes of the stallion.

“Apparently, the king is no king at all. He is just a powerful wizard who perfected a sealing spell that he used on the real rulers, years ago. He then used some sort of mind spell that wiped the minds of almost everypony in the land, making them forget who the real rulers were. He has then been since trying to control the very planet and put it under his thumb. You might have noticed the recent disappearances lately, he’s the cause. He and his dark rangers have been kidnapping pegasi, unicorns, and earth ponies to control everything that lies in his sight,” Applesnack said.

“Wait, a year ago mah siblings were kidnapped. You mean that this so called ‘king’ is the cause of it?”

“Yes,” Applesnack said, “You know, I can’t help but notice that you are believing all of this so easily. I could be lying just to kill you.”

“It’s a gift I have had since I was a filly, Ah call it Truth Sight. Ah can tell when a pony is lying just by looking into their eyes,” AJ said, her eyes not leaving Applesnack, “ And now Ah know what happened to my sibs and where they are. Let me guess, he’s responsible for takin’ away our crops and starving us isn’t he?”

“That’s correct,” Looking down, Applesnack could remember what had happened, “In some of his magical experiments, he discovered a way to take a pony’s natural magical energy and take control of it himself. In this case, an earth pony’s abilty to control plant life and to grow crops. He decided to test it out on this village and stop your crops from growing as a punishment for your not paying of taxes.”

“How?”

`“I didn’t see it, all I saw was the spell and could only hear the screams from the sacrifices.”

AJ took a few seconds to take in the entire news, the revelations and ramifications of all of this were staggering to say the least. More importantly, the very idea that her siblings could be dead and used as tools for this madman’s spell filled her with rage. Looking towards her father’s hat, she made her decision of what she was going to do. She got up, grabbed a lasso and the hat, and walked to the door, “You should be all right to stay here and hold down the fort for me.”

“Wait, where are you going,” Applesnack tried to get up in bed, fearful for the young mare.

“To that dang castle, beat the king, restore the throne, and save mah family!” AJ then put on her hat, a look of steely determination in her eyes. She went to a small cupboard and pulled a week’s worth of food, some of the last she had, and then turned to walk out the door.

“Didn’t you hear what I said,” Applesnack said, “I told you, it was a failed uprising. If the strongest guards in the country couldn’t stop the king, how can you?”

“Because I am a big sister! And ain’t nothing in this world gonna stop a big sister from getting her little sister back!” AJ then walked out the door and into the world.
_________________________

It had been a few days since AJ had set out from her home and the supplies that she had been able to procure had started to run out. Worry had begun to cross her face as she began to think if she were to run out before she could make it to the castle and if she would die. The thought that her sister would die at the hands of a mad stallion filled her with fear and yet drove her on. Looking around the forest trail, she began to wonder if she was even lost now, after all she had no idea where the castle was. Sighing, she decided to ask at the next town, if she could make it that far.

As her walk led her further down the trail, she could hear a weak sounding moan coming from off the trail. Intrigued, she decided to look into it,

Walking off the path, she found that the moaning was coming from a lovely white unicorn with a purple mane. The hair was draped around her eyes as she moaned and groaned in pain, “ Oh pity me, for I am starving and have not but a bit of food to eat. OH woe is me and doom is my compatriot.”

“Sorry to hear that Sugarcube,” AJ looked at the mare, feeling a little down, “Look, Ah have got some food in my sack. T’ain’t much, but here,” with that, she took out her last apple and handed it to the young unicorn.

“Oh thank you, thank you!” The white unicorn jumped for joy as she took the apple from the orange mare with her magic and then turned around, “Here you go Sweetie.”

Looking over the white unicorn’s shoulder, she saw a little white filly nodding in gratitude before looking up at the older mare. Tears were in her eyes as if she wanted to refuse, not wanting to take the food. The white mare then looked at the filly, pushing the apple to her with a response of, “No, you have it. I’ll be fine…I have always wanted to be slim.”

“Wait, y’all are giving it to her?” Aj asked looking at the young filly, “Ain’t ya hungry too?”

“OH yes, dreadfully so; however, my little sister comes before all else,” The white unicorn said, watching her little sister eat.

AJ looked at her saddle and then back to the white unicorn and then decided to sit down with her, offering her some bread, “Look, I don’t have much, just enough for one more day. So here take it and I won’t accept no for an answer.”

“Well, all right,” She then took the bread and began to eat it as AJ sat next to her, “My name is Rarity Bell and this is my little sister, Sweetie.” The little filly hopped up happily in response to this as if to say hello.

“She doesn’t speak much does she?”

“No,” She sighed, “Not since mother and father died. She saw it all you know, the soldiers coming to take our family for ‘use’ and then our father bravely refusing. The struggle that they had and then the brutal murder of both our parents, I was able to take her away and save her; however, she never spoke since.” The unicorn looked at her little sister, eating happily and then getting up to follow a butterfly, “A shame…she had such a beautiful voice.”

The three mares ate and talked all the way through their meal, bonding over the smallest thing while joking about each other’s lives. Soon the meal was done and AJ rose, “Well, time for me to be headin’ off.”

“Off, where?” Rarity asked as she stood up with her sister.

“To the king’s castle, dethrone him, and to save my family,” AJ said, looking ahead.

“What? Are you mad, dear!?” Rarity ran to the side of AJ, “No one has ever made it into that castle and lived. There has been no one who has ever even come close to seeing the king’s face or even touching him. How are you expected to beat him?”

“Don’t quite know that part yet, but I do know that he has my sister and brother. That’s good enough for me, because I will fight the devil himself if I had to in order to save my family.”

Rarity looked at AJ, seeing a look of strong willpower and determination in those eyes, “All right then, I guess we won’t stop you. We’ll join you, come along Sweetie.”

“You’ll what? But why?”

“Darling, I don’t intend to be a wanderer forever. Sweetie needs a home and I need to become a great dressmaker, and if defeating an impossible foe is the only way to achieve my dreams…then I say lets do it!”

AJ smiled, liking the girl’s determination, “All right, lets go.”

The trio walked along the soft wooded path, hearing the large cracking of the branches and leaves beneath them. The night sounds ending up being the only other creatures of company until a bright pink light flashed before them, “WHAT IN TARNATION?” AJ yelled.

“HALT!” The olden pony shouted, a pink robe wrapped around her body, hiding everything except her age and gender, “I am the witch who rewards honesty and generosity. I have seen what you two did back there and will now give you a reward.”

“Wait, how did we earn this?” AJ asked.

“You, AJ, were honest in your goals and intentions, not wanting to trick or deceive anypony in an attempt to gain allies. Thus I reward you with this,” the witch then handed a golden lasso to the pony, “This is an unbreakable lasso of honesty, it makes one tell the truth and will burn the deceivers. As for you, Rarity, you were willing to give all of your food to your sister so she may not starve to death and thus, you will be granted this,” with a flash, Rarity was given a bag, “This is a bag of generosity. It is currently holding food; however, that is not all it can do. Any item that you place in there can be duplicated as much as you want to. Only if, you plan to give said item to others and use it out of the kindness of your heart. As for you Sweetie.”

The little unicorn backed up behind Rarity, a little afraid of the witch. She was then shocked to see a small flute connected by a string appear around her neck.

“This is the flute of emotion, if you were to play on it then the song in your heart will make the music magically appear. If you are filled with rage, then the music will hurt, if you are filled with love and then the music will heal and protect. After all, since you cannot speak your heart for the moment then you must use this to speak your heart.”

In acceptance of her gift and to show understanding, the little filly blew a little into her flute, making a tiny whistle.

“Now, I bid thee farewell. I wish you all the luck the world has to offer, dear AJ.” The witch then vanished from sight.

Author's Note:

Special thanks for this fics proofreader- Strays, hope you enjoy his work with helping me.

Yes, I have been on a princess bride fix when I thought of this story. But this is also akin to a story I would listen to from my mother.