• Published 22nd Mar 2013
  • 4,099 Views, 451 Comments

Awkward, But Worth It - bahatumay



Snippets of the lives of Rainbow Dash and Applejack. Time and again, they discover that this phrase accurately describes falling in love, being in love, and life in general.

  • ...
22
 451
 4,099

PreviousChapters Next
That First Kiss

Rainbow Dash paced nervously. She hadn’t been this nervous since the Best Young Flyers competition all those years ago. She did have some inkling of pride that she wasn't cowering, quivering in a corner somewhere this time, though.

But where was Applejack? It wasn't like her to be late, and it was already... Rainbow glanced down at her bare forehoof for what must have been the eleventh time, and for the eleventh time, there was still no watch there and therefore she had no idea what time it was anyway. Well, it felt late. Where was she?

Scanning the fields, she felt her heart jump into her throat as she saw a flicker of movement somewhere in the trees. It looked like it could fit the profile of an earth pony mare. Maybe.

"Applejack?" she called, taking a cautious step forward. "That you?"

"Yep."

Rainbow Dash squealed (though would later deny that she had) and spun around to see Applejack poking her head through the branches.

"Don't scare me like that!" Rainbow hissed.

"You? Scared? Now I've seen everything," Applejack teased, poking Rainbow playfully.

Rainbow brushed the hoof off. "No, it's just... Never mind.” She shook her head. “So, you ready to do this?" she asked, feeling her wings begin to spread slightly in anticipation.

Applejack sighed. "I dunno, Rainbow. It seems a little sudden."

Rainbow’s face fell, as did her wings, ears, tail; just about everything, actually. "Sudden? Applejack, we've been friends for forever, ever since I moved here from Cloudsdale. After Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie, you were the first pony I knew here, and I think I like you best." Rainbow's eyes widened. "Don't tell them I said that, though."

Unbeknownst to either party, far, far away in the bed in the upper loft of Sugarcube Corner, a sleeping pink earth pony groaned and mumbled, "no offense taken...." before rolling over on her face and snoring again.

"And I've thought you were cool for forever, and that one Running of the Leaves competition was just icing on the cake."

The pink earth pony mare's ear twitched, and she licked her lips in her sleep.

"That cemented it. I knew I loved you. You've been awesome your whole life. You're fierce and competitive and you're fast and I'm rambling again, aren't I?"

Applejack couldn't suppress a giggle. "Yeah. But it's not so bad. Ah kindof like it, actually."

“If rambling more gets you to kiss me, I’ll keep going."

Applejack smirked. "You’re sappy. Are ya sure you didn’t get into the hard cider or something?

Rainbow Dash realized that she was right. Frowning, she turned away, crossed her forelegs and sulked. She would have flown away, but a tiny spark of hope inside told her to stay, and maybe...

Applejack came up close behind and wrapped her hooves around the pegasus. She pressed her body close, resting her chin on Rainbow's shoulder so that their cheeks were touching. “Ah didn’t mean nothin’ bad by it. It’s just kinda nice. Weird comin’ from you, but nice."

“I thought it was weird coming from me, too,” Rainbow admitted, enjoying the warmth of another pony close by much more than she thought she would. “You just... you mess with my mind, AJ."

“Ah may or may not have that ability.”

The two sat together, enjoying each other's company. Every once in a while, one would press against the other just a little tighter for a gentle nuzzle, and the other would respond in kind. Together they sat in silence.

Applejack broke the silence first. "Well? Are you gonna kiss me or not?"

Rainbow flinched. "Well,” she stammered, “I was kindof hoping you'd kiss me first."

Applejack gave a tiny snort of laughter. "And why is that?"

"Because I... I...” Rainbow looked around nervously, suddenly very glad that Applejack couldn’t see her face. Finally, she blurted out, “BecauseIneverkissedanyponybefore and Ireallydontknowwhattodo," quickly and with very little spacing between her words.

Applejack laughed, but nuzzled her again and gripped her tighter to show she wasn’t being mean (and as insurance that Rainbow wouldn’t just fly off in embarrassment). "And you think I do? I've never had a special somepony before, remember? Always working."

"Well..." Rainbow’s voice trailed off. “I guess if you want, I could try first.”

“Ah’d be fine with that.”

Rainbow acted calm as she turned around to face Applejack, but her heart was hammering in her chest.

She hesitated with one hoof on her chest. "Ready?" she asked.

"Shut up and kiss me," Applejack said, closing her eyes expectantly.

Rainbow tried to recall anything and everything she had ever read about kissing. Daring Do had had a few flings in her time, but Rainbow had always just skimmed those parts. She did recall that it was more than acceptable to kiss a pony in places other than lips. With that in mind, she leaned forward and kissed Applejack on the forehead. It was quick and slightly awkward, but Applejack smiled.

When nothing else happened, Applejack opened one eye. "You can do that again, if you want," she said.

Emboldened by her success, Rainbow Dash leaned forward again, gently brushing her lips against Applejack’s cheek this time. She was rewarded with a gentle exhale and a slow smile.

“Keep goin’,” Applejack urged. This was an entirely new sensation, and she was rather enjoying it.

Feeling a sense of urgency somewhere in her nethers, Rainbow Dash grabbed Applejack’s face, pulled her close, and kissed her like no mare had ever been kissed before or since. She kissed Applejack so fully and so deeply that Princess Cadence in Canterlot woke up in a cold sweat, fearful that somepony else had taken away her title as Princess of Love.

Well, that’s what Rainbow intended to happen, anyway.

What reallyhappened was, Rainbow Dash grabbed her head and while trying to pull her close, somehow ended up slamming both their noses together.

If there’s one thing that ruins a romantic mood, it’s blood. And while you can kindof laugh it off if both partners are in the same predicament, that was not the case here. While Rainbow had hit many things with her face and her body was used to such impacts, Applejack was not. The earth pony sat back hard, pressing a hoof against her nose to staunch the flow of blood, while Rainbow frantically tried to help by apologizing repeatedly.

“Applejack! I’m so sorry, here, I can get you something, I don’t have anything, I didn’t bring anything, I can fly back and grab you something real quick hold o-”

“Ra’bow! Breav’, filly! I’s ok.” Applejack leaned back, pinching the bridge of her muzzle as best she could.

“I feel bad, though,” Rainbow said softly.

“Don’ be. D’ough you did kinda ruin da mood,” Applejack said, still pinching her nose.

“Yeah. See you tomorrow, then?” Rainbow said dejectedly, preparing to fly off.

Earth ponies are nothing if not hardy. Already the flow of blood was stopping, and Applejack finished cleaning herself off. “Nah. We can cuddle for a bit. It’s cool, Rainbow. Really.” Applejack extended her forehooves in invitation.

After a moment of hesitation, Rainbow accepted. She twisted in, getting as close as she could. “I’m really sorry,” she said again.

“You’re fine,” Applejack said, pressing Rainbow’s head down against her own shoulder. She rested her head there on Rainbow Dash, just feeling her breathe and listening to her own breath.

That breath got caught in a strangled cry as she looked up to see a pony standing there in in the meadow. She calmed slightly when she recognized him as her older brother, who was pressing a hoof firmly over his lips in the universal sign for “shh!”.

Rainbow stirred. “You ok, Applejack?” she asked.

Big Mac tapped his lips again, harsher this time.

“Yeah, ‘m fine,” Applejack said, giving her brother the stink-eye to end all stink-eyes. “Just saw something and it spooked me.”

Big Mac grinned, and Applejack fought the urge to connect her hoof with his face. This was their own private time! Didn’t he have a basement to go sit in or something?

Rainbow, oblivious to their observer, settled down again. “Yeah, I thought I saw something earlier, too.”

Applejack glared at Big Mac, who just gestured with his hooves. Did he want to watch or something? That was just wrong!

Wait. No, he seemed to have other ideas in mind. With his hooves, he was miming holding and tilting somepony else’s head, and tilting his own the opposite direction. His lips puckered, almost as if he were kissing... Oh.

That... that would make too much sense. Applejack had not felt so stupid since the day of long division in elementary school. But before Applejack could work up the courage to ask Rainbow if they could try again, the pegasus looked up.

“Applejack?” Rainbow asked, looking more vulnerable than Applejack had ever seen her. “Can we... you know... try it again? I promise I won’t hurt you this time.”

Applejack smiled and nodded. She took Rainbow’s head in her hooves and tilted, just like Mac had demonstrated, leaned forward, and kissed Rainbow Da-

By great grandpappy’s special cider...

Applejack had never experienced anything quite like that before. Her eyes fluttered shut under this new sensation. It wasn’t that Rainbow tasted good--she didn’t really taste like anything, to be honest--and it wasn’t like either of them were particularly good at this. But something about this just... tasted right, for lack of a better word. It was being together with a pony she loved, doing something with her that not every pony got to do. This was something special.

Too soon, Rainbow pulled back. Applejack let out an involuntary whimper as her moment was interrupted.

Rainbow grinned. “Now who’s the sappy one?” she taunted.

“Shut up,” Applejack said before leaning forward and kissing her again.

Applejack was enjoying herself immensely when she suddenly remembered that they had an observer. She pulled back, much to Rainbow’s disappointment, but pulled her into a tight hug and brought a hoof up to stroke her mane, and that seemed to mollify her a bit.

Big Mac was nodding and giving Applejack a look that every younger sibling knew; the look that guaranteed merciless teasing the next day. Applejack glared, but he ignored it and began miming something else. Holding the invisible pony close, he lifted his head and...

Did he just mime biting her ear? Applejack shook her head in confusion. How was that fun?

But he repeated the action and nodded encouragingly. Applejack pointed an accusatory hoof, warning him that if this went south, he’d be in some deep trouble.

He just sat there comfortably.

Frowning, Applejack lifted her head slightly, took Rainbow’s ear into her mouth, and gently nibbled.

“Nyeh~!”

Both ponies flinched at Rainbow's sudden outburst, jumping apart from each other like cold water had been thrown on them.

“What was that?” Applejack asked, suddenly feeling much cooler than she had before. Rainbow really had been keeping her warm.

“I... I don’t know,” Rainbow admitted. “It just came out!”

Both looked at each other for a few seconds.

“Wanna try that again?” Applejack asked.

“Sure,” Rainbow shrugged nonchalantly, but if the speed at which she returned into Applejack’s embrace were any indication, she wanted to try it just as badly as Applejack did.

Applejack gently bit on her ear and tugged gently. Rainbow inhaled sharply and twitched, pressing her body even closer.

She dared look up, and saw Mac nodding in approval. He made the motions of running his hooves up and down his invisible partner’s body, paying special attention to her sides, and Applejack mirrored his movements.

Rainbow Dash’s head flew back and she involuntarily arched her back and gasped as Applejack’s hooves unintentionally hit a tickle spot.

“Ah take it that’s a good thing?” Applejack asked with a grin.

Rainbow nodded, trying (and failing) to keep a blush off her cheeks. She wasn’t entirely sure what she’d think of this in the morning, but as of right now, “awesome” had a new definition and its name was Applejack.

“Then let’s keep exploring,” Applejack whispered, moving her hooves again. She looked up just in time to see Mac wink cheekily at her before turning and melting into the shadows, leaving the two alone to explore.

* * *

Applejack quietly snuck into her own bedroom. She had really lost track of time out there, and had no idea what time it really was. The only reason they had stopped was because Rainbow Dash had had to go to the bathroom, and she obviously did not feel comfortable doing anything like that around Applejack.

Well, that’s not the exact excuse Rainbow had used, but Applejack knew the potty dance when she saw it.

The only thing she really knew was she loved Rainbow Dash emotionally, mentally, and physically. Hopefully they would have a chance to explore that third option further, and soon.

She gently set her hat down on the bedpost and flopped into bed. Hopefully, she’d have some time to sleep befo-

“Mornin’, sis!"

Applejack very nearly jumped out of her skin as a loud voice rang through her room, reverberating against the wooden walls and sending her into panic mode.

“Apple Bloom! What are you doin’ up so late?”

Apple Bloom giggled. “It’s not late,” she said, in that voice that foals use when they know a grown-up is playing with them. “It’s time to get up.”

Applejack cast a glance at the clock. To her despair, Apple Bloom was right. She dropped her head into the pillow and groaned loudly.

“Git up, sis!” Apple Bloom called again, tugging on Applejack’s tail, and when that didn’t work, her mane. “Granny Smith promised waffles this morning and those’re your favorite!”

“I’m-a gettin’, I’m-a gettin’,” Applejack muttered as she pushed herself up. She knew she was in for a fun, fun day.

* * *

Out in the fields, two ponies carefully pruned the apple trees. The large red one worked slowly yet methodically, while the orange one was quicker but had to pause every once in a while to yawn and stretch.

"Hey, Mac?" Applejack finally said. "Thanks fer not ratting us out at breakfast today. Ah saw Granny Smith givin’ me a funny look cause I was so tired."

Big Mac grinned. "That's your job, not mine," he said.

"Ah know. But thanks anyway."

"Eeyup."

The two continued working until something else occurred to Applejack.

"What were you doin' out there late at night anyway?" she asked, lowering the shears.

"Me?" Big Mac asked innocently.

Maybe being a bad liar was an inherited trait. "You were out there in a far off orchard fer no reason at all? Ah don't buy that." Her eyes widened as she suddenly remembered something else. "Yet mane was all messy," she accused, "just like mine was this morning."

Snip. Snip. "Eeyup."

"You were out there with another pony, weren'tcha?" Applejack asked.

“Eeyup.”

“Who?” Applejack asked, curiosity completely piqued.

Big Mac grinned. "Ah'll come out when you come out," he said.

"That better be a promise," Applejack muttered.

"It is."

The only sounds audible for a while were those of branches falling and wood being cut. Applejack didn't mind, though. Big Mac was a little quiet, sure; but that didn't mean he didn't like company. If anything, Applejack appreciated the time she could spend hanging out (so to say) with her older broth-

"So, didja put your tongue in her mouth yet?"

Applejack very nearly dropped a branch on her head. "What in..." she spluttered. "Where did that even come from? That's nasty!"

"So ya say now," Big Mac said, turning back to the tree.

The two worked in silence for a while longer, until it was shattered by a very frustrated mare angrily throwing a pair of shears at the ground.

"Argh! Now that won't leave my head! Ah hate you, ya fat, lazy excuse for a workhorse!"

Big Mac threw his head back and laughed. Applejack flushed slightly at being treated this way and grumpily pulled her hat down a little further over her eyes.

Still, if she could have another night like last night, she would gladly have been laughed at by a hundred Big Macs.

Her first real kiss may have been awkward, but it was definitely worth it.

Author's Note:

Bonus points if this song played in your head at Applejack's line.

And so the day was saved, thanks to the author's use of
*puts on sunglasses*
Deus ex Big Mac-china. Amirite?
...
Whoa, what's with the flow of downvotes?
And what's with the tomatoes? Put those down, please... Guys? Guys?

PreviousChapters Next