• Published 22nd Mar 2013
  • 4,112 Views, 451 Comments

Awkward, But Worth It - bahatumay



Snippets of the lives of Rainbow Dash and Applejack. Time and again, they discover that this phrase accurately describes falling in love, being in love, and life in general.

  • ...
22
 451
 4,112

PreviousChapters Next
That Time You Reunite With Your Lover in a Hospital

Spike rushed over through the orchard with a telegram clenched firmly in his claws. “Applejack!” he called, skidding to a stop and gasping for breath as he finally found her. He had grown a little bit over the years, of course; but the orchard was still a large place for a little dragon.

Applejack frowned as she saw him approach. “Spike, you ok?” she asked.

“Yeah,” he panted, “I’m fine, but Rainbow’s not!”

“What?!” Applejack gasped.

Spike held out the telegram, and Applejack snatched it up. Her eyes quickly scanned over it. Words like ‘flying incident’, ‘unfortunate accident’, and ‘critical condition’ flashed in front of her eyes.

“When’s the next train?” she demanded.

* * *

Applejack bounced nervously on her seat. She didn’t know if others were watching or caring, but the entire way there she couldn’t help herself. She hadn’t been this nervous since she had been waiting in the waiting room after Granny Smith’s hip replacement surgery.

“Do you have to potty?”

Applejack looked over at the tiny foal who had asked the question. “No,” she said.

He cocked his head. “You look like you have to go. You’re doing the potty dance.”

“That’s ‘cause… Ah’m pretty worried about something.”

“Mommy says everypony pees themselves sometimes. Is that what you’re worried ab-?”

“That’s not what Ah’m-!” Applejack snorted and gave up. She slouched back against the seat and crossed her forelegs, attempting to send a clear but polite ‘go away’ message.

It didn’t work. The little colt jumped on the seat next to her. “So what are you worried about?”

Applejack kept staring in front of her. “Stuff.”

“Like?”

“Important things.”

“Like?”

Applejack snapped. “My marefriend’s in the hospital and Ah don't know how she’s doing.”

He contemplated this for a few moments. “But you’re a mare too, aren’t you?”

Applejack’s eyes narrowed. “Yes, Ah’m a mare, too.”

“Oh.” He contemplated further. “So if the mare is usually on bottom, which one of you gets on top of the other when you’re wrestling?”

“Asth- ickt-" Applejack spluttered. "W- what kinda question is that? And how old are you, anyways?”

“I’m six.”

Applejack threw her hooves into the air in defeat. “You know what? Ah’m done,” she said, hopping off the seat and heading further down the train car.

“But the bathroom’s that way!” he called after her, pointing in the opposite direction.

Ignoring him, she continued until she found a new seat, picked up a discarded magazine, and opened it, trying to deflect any conversation. She hadn’t intended on actually reading it; until the word ‘Wonderbolt’ caught her eye. And the accompanying picture…

“What in the hay?!”

* * *

Applejack shook the rain off her mane as she sprinted through the hospital reception area. Taxis had been impossible last time she was in a big city, and she hadn’t had any more luck this time. She skidded to a stop in front of the information desk.

“Hi, Ah’m here to see a patient?” she panted.

The receptionist popped her gum and adjusted her red volunteer vest. “Name?” she said boredly.

“Rainbow Dash.”

She snorted and closed the notebook. “Scram.”

“Ah’m serious!”

“Look, I can’t tell you whether or not we have a pony by the name of Rainbow Dash in here, and even if we did, we couldn’t let just anypony see her. Now leave, or you’ll be escorted from the property.”

“She’s been askin’ to see me! Ah’m her marefriend, for Celestia’s sake!”

“A likely story. We’ve been seeing slimy autograph hunters all morning. You’re not the first, and I doubt you’ll be the last.”

Applejack pulled her hat over her face to muffle her scream of frustration. Then she calmly put her hat back on and spoke in a very measured voice. “Very well. What would Ah have to do to prove that Ah am who Ah say Ah am?”

“You just don’t know when to give up, do you? Look, unless you've got a trio of red apples on your flank in an equilateral triangle, then you're gonna have to take off before I call security.”

“Ah do!” Applejack nearly shouted as she turned to demonstrate. “That’s what Ah’ve been tryin’ to tell you!”

The receptionist’s eyes widened. “Whoa. I'm just so used to ponies pretending that they know the famous patients.” She quickly pulled out the list and scanned it. “Room 237b.”

“Thank Celestia!” Applejack spat as she sprinted towards the stairs.

* * *

Applejack skidded to a stop in front of the door. She wasn’t sure what to expect, but in her mind, horrifying images surfaced of Rainbow Dash, covered in burnt muscle, blackened scar tissue, with only a few scraps of blue fur left and missing a wing and with extensive nerve damage all over her body.

She didn’t expect to see Rainbow Dash sitting up in bed, impatiently sucking on a juicebox that had, by the sound of it, been empty for some time. Her eyes brightened as she saw Applejack, and she quickly discarded it and spread her (bandaged) forelegs wide.

“Appleja-!” She winced as a sharp pain shot through her shoulder and she quickly lowered her left foreleg. “Maybe a half-hug for now, eh?”

Applejack pulled back. “You’re hurt bad,” she said numbly. “The telegram said you were in critical condition…”

“That’s what the paramedic ponies said when they saw me.” Rainbow shrugged, but her eyes did seem slightly haunted. “I got downgraded on arrival.” She gave Applejack a playful nudge on the shoulder. “Guess I’m tougher than they thought, eh?”

“Yeah, but Ah was still so worried.”

“Yeah, me too. When I was conscious, anyway.” She sighed, and then winced and placed a hoof on her ribs. “But hey, nopony else got hurt. Bad sneaker wind, happens to everypony now and again.”

“That’s what Ah heard.” She cleared her throat uncomfortably. “There’s… somethin’ else you should probably know, too.”

Rainbow rolled her eyes. “Is it about the pictures of my private parts in the magazines from when I crashed and shredded my suit?”

Applejack nodded, surprised. “How did you..?”

“I get other visitors.”

Applejack nodded. “Ah know it was actually you. Ah saw the burn mark from the mill yard incident.”

Rainbow grinned, reminiscing. “Ah, the mill yard incident.” She raised a hoof. “I still say that that was totally worth it.”

“Be serious! All your… you know... are all over the news and stuff!”

“Yeah, Spitfire tried to eliminate all of the evidence, but it looks like she missed a couple.” Rainbow shrugged. “I guess I’ve had worse. Also, you were right; that picture of us kissing at the closed tryouts popped up again.”

“Doesn't that embarrass you?” Applejack had to ask.

Rainbow shrugged (and winced again). “Not really. Remember, stars do this stuff. In a week my teats will be old news and some new scandal will be breaking." She grinned. "Besides, Spitfire found out who took the pictures and blacklisted her from every single one of our future events, so I don't mind too much. Even if it was a good picture.”

"Yeah, it was."

A pause.

Rainbow’s eyes narrowed. “You have one of those magazines, don't you?”

Applejack blushed slightly. She had neglected to discard it for… protective reasons. “Yeah,” she admitted, “but I prefer the real thing.”

Rainbow Dash grinned. Reaching under the covers, she began to pull up her hospital gown until her lower half was devoid of clothing but still covered by the blanket. The beeping of the heart monitor began to speed up as Dash spoke. "Well, I'd be more than glad to give you a private show of Equestria's most famous nipples. I guess the only question is, what are my teats worth to you?"

Applejack narrowed an eye suspiciously. "Are you asking what's in it for you?"

Rainbow pulled her forehooves out of the covers and held them up to her face in an attempt to look as vulnerable as possible. Ever so slightly, she spread her rear legs. "Something like that."

Rainbow gasped in surprise as Applejack quickly went on the offensive, sliding a hoof under the covers and resting it right in between her nipple line and her marehood. Applejack then leaned down and whispered in her ear, "Because I can give them, and the pony they're attached to, the time of her life. And you know I will."

Applejack could literally feel the heat start to form in Rainbow's nether regions. Ignoring the rapidly-beeping monitor, she began to gently move her hoof in a circle, and although nowhere near any of what could be called Rainbow’s hotspots, she was still rewarded with a little gasp and a tiny buck of her hips.

"I've missed you, Applejack," Rainbow whimpered. "It's been so long..."

"Ah know. Ah've missed you too. All of you."

Rainbow bounced in surprise as Applejack's hoof drifted over a very sensitive spot.

"A- again!" Rainbow pleaded.

But there would be no again, because at that time the beeping jumped up to a single tone and a nurse burst in.

"What're you...!?

Too late, Applejack withdrew her hoof, but the nurse had seen.

She sighed, kneading her face with a hoof. "Look, I know you two are in love and all, but stimulating her like that is a terrible idea! A raise in blood pressure puts pressure on the internal stitches! She could pop them, bleed out, and die if you're not careful!"

Applejack sprinted out of the room.

The nurse smiled before her eyes darted to one side. She pulled out a magazine from her apron that looked oddly familiar. "Could you... sign something for me?" she asked hesitantly.

Author's Note:

This one is really old, too... Ah well. It's been good to finally get it done.
Also, this is the second to last scene I have sketched out. :applecry:

PreviousChapters Next