• Published 22nd Mar 2013
  • 4,082 Views, 451 Comments

Awkward, But Worth It - bahatumay



Snippets of the lives of Rainbow Dash and Applejack. Time and again, they discover that this phrase accurately describes falling in love, being in love, and life in general.

  • ...
22
 451
 4,082

PreviousChapters Next
That Time Dreams Come True and Shatter at the Same Time

There are many euphemisms for sex, depending on the pony in question and the context in which they are used. Some ponies prefer the technical terms "coitus" and "cunningilus", while others use terms that seem to have little connection to the act itself, such as "shagging" or "screwing". Others prefer onomatopoeia such as "banging", others use phrases like "getting laid" or "scoring some flank", and still others prefer words (examples of which are somewhat inappropriate for a teen rating) that emphasize the more physical aspect of the act.

However, when Applejack said she was going to ‘completely wreck’ Rainbow Dash, this was not a euphemism. She was referencing true physical harm, and ponies quite literally dove out of her way to allow her passage.

"Stand me up... Ah don't believe it," she grumbled angrily. "Maybe early in our relationship, maybe. But now? Ah don't think so. Leave me alone at that diner… She'd better have a good excuse for skipping out on me or she ain't goin' nowhere but the hospital..."

Glowering furiously, she stomped through Ponyville and all the way back to Sweet Apple Acres. This was the first place she decided to check, but next on her list was Rainbow's house (although it had been mostly vacant for these past few months) and then Sugarcube Corner, because Pinkie Pie knew where to find her. And if Pinkie Pie didn't know, Pinkie Pie could find out, because Pinkie Pie was… well... Pinkie Pie.

(Un)luckily, though, it didn't come to that. Rainbow Dash was there in the kitchen, sitting at the table, staring at a piece of paper resting on the table in front of her.

"Rainbow," Applejack growled, "what's so important that you skipped out on our weekly lunch?"

Rainbow looked up at her with hollow eyes, and Applejack's attitude shifted from anger to confusion. She took a step forward and raised a hoof. "Rainbow? What's going on?"

Rainbow Dash looked back down at the paper. "Guess I'll start at the beginning," she said softly.

* * *

Earlier that morning, Scootaloo knocked on the door to the farmhouse rapidly. "Rainbow Dash! Rainbow Dash!" she called.

"It's open!" Rainbow shouted back. "Come in!"

Scootaloo burst in, as excited as could be. "Rainbow! What're we going to do for training today?"

"Oh, we'll... We'll do something pretty fun. You’re gonna like this, I know.”

Scootaloo was almost vibrating with excitement. “What are we gonna do?”

“I need you to fly up to my house and get my mail. I haven’t been back there in a while, and I bet it’s just piled up.”

Scootaloo stopped bouncing. Her ears drooped, and even her wings looked downcast. “I- is that really all you want me to do?” she asked sadly.

“Wellll,” Rainbow said, trying to suppress a grin. “I also have some hay bacon strips in the cooling cloud that are going to go bad if they aren’t eaten soon. Bring those back, and I’ll make you a huge breakfast and we can eat it together.” Living with Applejack did have its perks, and one of those were cooking lessons. Rainbow had improved by leaps and bounds since her first lesson. Now, she only burned the pancakes about ten percent of the time instead of the previous ninety. “But hurry! I’m starting now and I’m timing you! Go fast, or it’ll be cold by the time you get here!”

Scootaloo grinned. “I’ll be back before you know it!” And with that, she turned and sprinted out of the house, flapping her wings as hard as she could to get airborne.

It didn't take long at all for the filly to return. She bore food in her saddlebags and letters in her mouth. Well, only one letter, but it looked very important.

“This one looks super important!” she said.

Rainbow chuckled as she lightened her sister’s saddlebags. “Look, a lot of bills say ‘urgent notice’ and ‘last attempt to reclaim payment’. It doesn’t mean anything.”

“Yeah, but this one’s got the Wonderbolts symbol on the envelope!”

Rainbow instantly dropped what she was carrying and snatched it out of Scootaloo’s mouth. She ripped it open and began to read. Slowly, she walked over to the table, sat down, and stared at it. Her eyes widened and her jaw dropped, and all she could do was stare.

Scootaloo hesitantly walked up. “Rainbow Dash? You ok?” She leaned over her shoulder and began to read. She took in every part of the letter from the date to the large hoofprint on the bottom and gasped. She looked back up at Rainbow Dash, who hadn’t moved.

“You want me to come back later?” Scootaloo asked, taking a small step back. “I’ll come back later.”

Rainbow gave an almost imperceptible nod, and Scootaloo walked out the door, still with those words flashing before her eyes.

“Dear Rainbow Dash,
Thank you for coming to the closed tryouts for admission to the Wonderbolts. We appreciate all who come and try out with us, and think you’re all amazing fliers…”

* * *

“So you didn’t get in?”

“No,” Rainbow said slowly.

“Oh, Rainbow,” Applejack whispered, coming in close and wrapping a foreleg around Rainbow Dash’s shoulders.

Rainbow gently shrugged it off. “No, I mean, no, it’s not that I didn’t get in; I did get in.”

“Wha-?”

“Look. Right there.”

Applejack looked at where Rainbow was pointing, and read aloud. “Some of you, however, were indeed good enough to become a part of the Wonderbolts family, and I am delighted to inform you that are one of those ponies. Congratulations, Rainbow Dash; you’re the newest member of an elite squad of-” She looked up and smiled broadly. “Rainbow! That’s great!”

“Yeah, but look at this.”

Applejack scanned the new portion. “Ah don’t see the problem. 'Report to the Ponydrome three weeks from the date of this letter', so that’s...” Applejack’s eyes flicked up to the date on the top of the letter and froze. She did a little recalculation and relaxed slightly, but only slightly. “Rainbow... this was sent twenty days ago.”

“Yeah,” Rainbow said. “I’m supposed to report tomorrow. Guess I put down my old address on accident instead of here when I signed up.” She chuckled mirthlessly. “I bet Scootaloo thinks I missed reporting or something, math was never her strong point. It’s just… I don’t know what to do.”

“What do you mean?”

“Do I go?”

Silence.

“Ah don’t get it,” Applejack said.

“I mean, I can’t just leave everypony like this without warning, now, can I?”

“And why not?”

Rainbow raised a hoof to protest… and then lowered it.

Applejack gave Rainbow Dash a gentle nuzzle. “You’ve been wanting to do this forever,” she said, even as she felt her heart break inside her. “It’d be an awful shame if’n you gave it up. We’ll understand. Now come on, get up,” Applejack said, pulling Rainbow off of the chair. “Ah’ll help you pack.”

“Wha-?” Rainbow asked, somewhat disoriented.

“You’re going to want to say goodbye to everypony. If you’re packing, you won’t have time. And you’re gonna wanna tell Pinkie.”

“Oh, Pinkie knows.”

Both mares flinched and looked over to the window, where they saw Pinkie Pie leaning against the windowsill. She smiled. “Pinkie always knows. Always.” She waved her hooves mysteriously. “Alllwaaaayysss...” she whispered as she lowered herself out of sight.

“We can still see the tip of your mane, Pinkie.”

“Allllwaaays,” Pinkie repeated, scooting herself sideways out of view.

Both Applejack and Rainbow Dash looked at each other, and with a brief nod, came to a silent agreement that that would not be spoken of again.

“But seriously,” Applejack said, pulling Rainbow along. “Go say good bye, and make sure you do somethin’ nice for Scootaloo, and then come back here, and Ah’ll be waitin’ to say good bye to you myself. Ah'll give you a hint--it involves a certain piece of jewelr-”

"No. No amulet." Rainbow grinned, even as tears started to glisten in her eyes. "I'm leaving you, and you want to do things my way? Nah. We're having earth pony sex tonight, out in the orchard, just the way you like it. I'll even do that thing with my wings that you like so much. Tonight is all about you."

Applejack paused. “But... you’re the one who-”

“Ah, ah, ah,” Rainbow said, shoving a hoof in Applejack’s mouth. “No complaints. Come on. After all you've done for me? It's the least I can do. Just, you know... keep my collar out, ok?”

There are many euphemisms for sex, but perhaps "making love" was the one that fit best for their actions that night.

PreviousChapters Next