• Published 22nd Mar 2013
  • 4,082 Views, 451 Comments

Awkward, But Worth It - bahatumay



Snippets of the lives of Rainbow Dash and Applejack. Time and again, they discover that this phrase accurately describes falling in love, being in love, and life in general.

  • ...
22
 451
 4,082

PreviousChapters Next
That Little Moment Before The Ceremony

Rainbow Dash stared at her reflection in the mirror. The cyan pony that looked back at her wore what could only be called a beautiful dress. It was simple, as was the earth pony tradition, but still... it wasn’t ‘elegant’, but it was tasteful and graceful, from the train to the matching lace headband that sat proudly atop her braided mane.

And as much as she hated to admit it, she kindof liked the way it looked on her.

She was deciding just how many awesome-points this cost her (if any at all) when Applejack entered the room, wearing a similar outfit. Her mane had also been brushed until it shone, and it looked absolutely amazing on her. Rainbow had to quickly look back at the mirror to ensure her wings didn’t flare out and wrinkle the dress (after all, earth pony dresses didn’t take things like wings into account, and Rarity had simply refused to take scissors to it, citing some nonsense like 'tradition' and stuff like that).

“Hey, Rainbow,” she said, coming up behind her and giving her a gentle nudge. “Looking good.”

“Yeah. Thanks,” Rainbow said hesitantly.

Applejack caught on to (half of) Rainbow’s problem and grinned. “Not such a fan of dresses, are we?”

“Not really. It’s not uncomfortable or anything, it’s just... unnatural. Pegasi usually get married naked. Maybe trailing some cirrostratus for a veil or something, but that’s about it. It's you earth ponies that started this whole fancy clothing thing for getting hitched.”

Applejack inspected the simple, homespun fabric she wore. “It's not that fancy. Ah mean, it’s been in our family for almost forever. It’s more functional than anything.”

“Functional? Yeah, right,” Rainbow grunted. “Functional for symbolic reasons and that’s it. What with the whole growing new things together thing... gag me, that’s sappy. Pegasi weddings are quick and efficient. You're married and banging in less than an hour. None of this seed planting junk or fancy speeches that take an hour themselves.”

Applejack dropped the train in surprise as what Rainbow said sunk in. “Rainbow! Did you do research on earth pony weddings?”

Rainbow blushed. She hadn’t meant to let that slip. “...maybe?”

Applejack gave her a teasing nuzzle. “Aw, I didn't know you cared.”

Rainbow lifted a hoof and gently but firmly pushed her away. “Yeah. Wonderful. Really. Don't tell anyone.”

“Too late,” a third voice said cheerfully.

Both spun around to see Cheerilee standing in the doorway. She smiled broadly. “For what it’s worth, Rainbow, you do look great in the dress.”

Rainbow sunk her head into her forehooves and muttered something about providing Scootaloo with plenty of stink bombs for next semester.

“Are you ready to go out? The guests are arriving soon, and it's nearly time for the greeting line."

“Which means it’s my cue to leave,” Rainbow muttered.

Applejack gave her a quick swat to the back of the head. “What she meant to say was, we’ll be right out.”

Cheerilee smiled. “Great!”

“Where’s Big Mac?” Rainbow asked.

Cheerilee shrugged and tried to act nonchalant, but Rainbow Dash could see how she tensed slightly. After all, after she knew plenty about earth pony anatomy and reactions, and Cheerilee was definitely apprehensive.

"I don’t know. Rarity said it's bad luck for the bride and groom to see each other before the ceremony, so I wouldn't be worried; but Rumble just told me he isn't even here yet."

Applejack grinned. "Don't worry. If he's half as excited as he was last night, he'll be here and he'll be happier than a worm in an orchard full of apples.”

Cheerilee nodded, looking more than a bit relieved. "Thanks, Applejack. I'd better check on the others. Twist may be able to make candy into pretty designs, but she can't tie a bow very well at all." Smiling, she walked out with more confidence in her step than before.

Rainbow leaned over to Applejack. "You're not gonna tell her that Macintosh was pacing back and forth and throwing up from nerves all last night?" she whispered.

Applejack kept up a (relatively) good poker face. "Some ponies show their excitement different ways. Some ponies act like that. Others bounce. Others squeal." Her smile turned devious. "And some have their wings flare out and they start panting."

Rainbow frowned. "I do not pant!" she defended herself.

"Of course you don't."

"I don't!" Rainbow insisted.

"And you don't make that 'nyeh' sound when Ah bite you either, eh?"

"No! Stop making fun of me!"

“And you certainly don’t put on a collar and pretend Ah’m standin’ behind you when you’re waitin’ for me t’ get home, right?”

Rainbow shoved her hooves over her ears. “Lalalala I can’t hear you!”

Applejack finally took mercy on Rainbow. “All right, don't worry. Ah'm done.”

They looked at each other and smiled as they turned to walk out.

“So, you ready?” Applejack asked.

“For long lines and hugging lots of ponies I don’t know?” Rainbow asked, suppressing a shudder. "Yeah, can't wait."

Applejack shook her head. “For my family asking when it's our turn t’ get hitched.”

Rainbow grinned. “I'm sure we'll think of something.” She leaned in close, not even minding that she was ruffling the dress. “We always do.”

“That’s right,” Applejack agreed. “We always do.”

Rainbow grinned deviously. “Like that time we had to figure out what to do when you tried to put caramel sauce and-”

“That is as far as you go,” Applejack hissed.

Rainbow Dash chuckled, and soon Applejack couldn’t help but join in.

“I love you, you know this, right?” Rainbow said.

Applejack nodded. “Ah do. And Ah love you, too. Now come on, let’s go greet us some guests.”

“And drink some cider,” Rainbow added.

Applejack chuckled and shook her head. “And drink some cider.”

Tails as close as they could be through the dresses, they walked out into the gathering room together, the two Best Mares of the wedding.

Author's Note:

Yes, Mac showed up on time. Very pale, but on time.
I've been feeling all-around very uninspired these past couple of weeks, so this chapter is a bit shorter than usual. But the next one (where Rainbow gets a letter) should be longer.


Deleted scene. Cut because it wasn’t adding anything; it already felt like I was dragging it on too long in the first place.
“Actually, Ah had Caramel set aside a cask of cider just for us.”
Rainbow Dash threw her hooves up into the air. “You’re kidding! Caramel? Now I’ll get no cider! Only the ground will get cider! Happy birthday to the ground!”
“Hey, he’s gotten a lot better at not droppin’ stuff.”
“Yeah, whatever. I bet the only reason Sassaflash isn't pregnant yet is because he keeps accidentally dropping his stallion stuff on her stomach instead of getting it-”
“Rainbow!”

PreviousChapters Next