• Published 2nd Feb 2012
  • 21,603 Views, 683 Comments

Between Day and Night - Davesknd



Twilight is called back to Canterlot to spend some time with the princesses

  • ...
32
 683
 21,603

Phase Ten & Intermission

“And when I turned my head, I noticed that Spike had grabbed the hem of my dress and stuffed it into his mouth! I instantly turned around and tried to pull it out of his jaws, but he sneezed. Suddenly my whole dress was ablaze! I teleported out of it instantly. And then all I could do was look in horror as he kept chewing while his cradle caught fire. I was well aware that dragons did not mind the heat of their own fire, but it was still a shock for me to see my beloved bundle of scales sitting happily in his own burning bed. Later I understood that Spike had confused the sparkle on the hem for gemstones and decided to eat it.” Celestia said with a bit of nostalgia in her voice. The evening had turned to night, and now the two couples were in the living room of Twilight’s parents, drinking hot chocolate and exchanging stories. Meanwhile a gramophone played some cosy tunes in the back. The princess had even kicked off her shoes and had completely opened up. “From that day on, I made sure never to wear sparkling trinkets in front of Spike until he understood the importance of not setting his foster mother ablaze.”

“Goodness… And I thought Shining Armour’s upbringing was interesting.” Twilight Velvet said, shaking her head slightly. She floated her cocoa closer and had a sip. “When he brought in those strange dice and weird books with the angry minotaurs on them, I was completely thrown off.”

“I think those were supposed to be demons.” Night Light giggled “And I had a huge laugh when the critically acclaimed adventure book writer had to spend three days of research until she got behind the idea of RPGs.”

“I was simply concerned about our son!”

“I was more concerned about him when you tried to join their group.”

“Such an expression of raw creativity! I had to try it out once!” Velvet stressed firmly.

“Good that you got stuck on the character background. I really liked that book…” Nightlight added with a wink.

“So this is how the great Twilight Velvet comes up with her ideas. Maybe I will try this one out when I write a novel.” Celestia giggled, taking a sip as well.

“You have ambitions in writing, princess?” Velvet asked eagerly. “Oh, what genre do you have in mind?”

“Oh, I am only teasing, my dear. I have spent so much time with writing down and accepting laws and orders that I doubt that I could ever go to prose. I once tried my hoof in poetry, but I noticed that I had many issues with the theme and the fitting of words into pentameter. So I gave up on literature and stuck with music.” Celestia waved off.

“Oh, we tried to get our Twily into music in the past. But our filly was all about reading.” Nightlight giggled “The only reason she would ever sing was because that was music with words.”

While the three ponies giggled and laughed merrily, Twilight Sparkle found herself deeply buried in the lowest levels of tartarus and whatever hell lay beneath it.
Sure, she should be happy that both her parents accepted her beloved princess as part of her life and socialized so well with her.
Sure, she should be happy that Celestia had overcome her nervousness and worries and actually opened up to them, showing the warm and complex being beneath the smile.
But now the dream had turned ugly!
Both parties had realized that they were indeed all parents and were now exchanging FOAL STORIES! And while Twilight’s parents, saintly as they were, had not yet tapped into the depths of stories they had about her, Twilight would kill herself if anyone told Celestia about the incident when she tried to build a particle accelerator out of a hair dryer and a vacuum cleaner! And heaven help Nightlight if he whooped out the foal photos! That would classify as torture under international laws!

“So, if I may ask, what kind of instrument do you prefer, princess?” Nightlight asked, tearing Twilight out of her torment.

“Oh, I have tried my hooves in many instruments… though my favourites will always be the piano, the classic wing-harp, my beloved triangle and, of course, the doubec!” Celestia explained.

Twilight’s eyebrows rose. “You play with a drum?”

“I began when back when an old friend in Zebragaskar showed me how to play and gifted me with my first one. Sadly I played it beyond the point of repair. But you would not believe how therapeutic it is to lock yourself into your room after a long day of dealing with the issues of the day and just hit something.” Celestia giggled.

“Am I the only one who finds the triangle even weirder?” Nightlight asked.

“Oh, I was partially kidding… but I do admire the instrument to some degree… a perfectly played triangle can enhance the effect of a whole symphony, while one that misses its spot can ruin it. It is a testament to simplicity and the virtue of precision.”

“I am so taking notes for my next book…” Velvet commented with a grin.

Suddenly the record skipped and a “Bed of Roses” from Bon Anchovy started to play. As if on command, Night Light set his cup aside and got up.

“Come, dear, not in front of- OH!” Velvet was interrupted by her husband pulling her up with his magic and resting his head on her shoulder. As if choreographed, they instantly began to dance a slow and sensual dance. Every step stemmed from memory, every movement another joyful memory for the next time. They grew a bit faster with a few turns and spins. Old Bon was singing and slow and thick as honey when his piano took over.

Twilight’s eyes went wide. She couldn’t remember seeing her parents dance like this! Then again, she hadn’t heard that song play in this house very often…

Finally the song ended, and both ponies looked at each other for a moment. Finally, they shared a soft kiss.
Twilight instantly looked away to see that Celestia was holding her wing before her broadly grinning mouth.

Velvet cleared her throat and shook her head quickly. “Goodness, I am so sorry that you had to see this, dear.” She said, slightly embarrassed. “But this loon that I call your father once promised me that he would dance with me like this whenever we hear old Bon tickle the keys…”

Nightlight winked. “Heavy injury or sickness not withstanding, but a promise is a promise, and I made two to my wife that I will never break!” he said gently nuzzling Velvet.

“But… I’ve never seen you two dance to this song!” Twilight stressed, her cheeks crimson and eyes wide.

“Because those are on the Mommy-and-Daddy record!” Velvet answered as she sat down again. “We usually keep this out of the gramophone when Shiny or you are around.”

“Just because I promised that I would always dance with her to this song doesn’t mean I have to play it constantly. “ Nightlight added. “Though I’ve put it on a lot more often ever since the two of you moved out.

“This is so adorable!” Celestia giggled loudly “Oh, it is so wonderful to see couples that never fall out of love! Oh… what a rare thing to witness!”

“You can learn a thing or two about wooing a princess from this old stallion as well, daughter. Just look at the one I got…” Nightlight grinned broadly and Velvet let out a giggle, her cheeks getting slightly rosy.

Twilight, meanwhile, wanted to die. Or at least lobotomize herself to a degree that it robbed her of any ability to process the surroundings. This had gotten worse than foal-stories and her parents being embarrassing! Now it was in the realm of parental affection! TO EACH OTHER! If this went on, they might imply that her parents were still… how to put in in a way that Twilight would use to express it… unsuccessfully reenacting their attempts to procreate for the sake of personal recreation and relationship building!

“Oh, you old charmer!” Velvet giggled leaning closer to her husband “But he is right, in a way… this stallion here knows how to treat a mare.”

“Well, that was a nice evening, but I think I hear my oven calling! We should really get Spike to bed an-“ Twilight began to babble, her eye twitching violently.

“Love, we are not in Ponyville, your oven is not capable of speech and I think that Spike is old enough to go to bed when he chooses to.” Celestia said with a giggle, leaning closer to Twilight. “Though if you want to change the topic, you could use your father’s advice and maybe invite your princess for a dance…”

Sadly, Princess Celestia did not notice the sudden onset of worry on the faces of her hosts.

Twilight, meanwhile, began to smile. “I would love to! I went dancing with my friends not long ago, and they all agreed when Spike mentioned that it was something everyone had to see at least once in their lives!”

Celestia rose with her lover, and as the next song began, Twilight stretched to rest her head at Celestia’s shoulder and prepared to follow the music together with the mare she loved.
What followed cannot be described with words.
Two minutes after the song had begun, Celestia was rolling around on the ground, laughing loudly and uncontrollably. Her fore-legs were bruised and her left hoof was chipped, while her regalia had several small dents and scrapers.
Twilight Velvet was shaking her head and pushing her hoof into her husband’s mouth so he wouldn’t join the princess in laughter.
And Twilight was completely distraught and close to tears. She had just tried to follow the music and dance with the princess, and yet she had stepped onto her hooves constantly, knocked her over once and almost knocked herself out seven times when she rammed her head and horn into Celestia’s regalia.
What nobody realized was that it was not in fact that Twilight was a downright terrible dancer. It was just that Twilight was so in tune with the Element of Magic, a part of her transcended this realm and was in tune with the cosmos. And whenever she would dance, she would follow the music. The music of the great ancient god Azathoth, who sat at the centre of the universe, playing a maddening flute surrounded thousands of other gods who frantically swayed and spun to its tune. Maybe Twilight would never know that her “wild flailing” was in perfect tact to that tune, and the world would only ever remember her as “Twilight Sparkle: Please stick to saving the world and singing!”

“Ce.. Celestia, I am so sorry!” Twilight sobbed loudly, tears beginning to run down her cheeks.

The laughter ceased instantly, and before anyone could react, Celestia pulled Twilight down to her into a big and tight hug. “Oh, my love, don’t be! I have so many reasons to love you ,and you being a horrible dancer won’t cancel out any of them.”

“But… but I hurt you!” the smaller pony sniffed, nuzzling into Celestia’s coat. “I… I never want to hurt you.”

“It takes more than a spoiled hooficure and a few steps on my legs to hurt me, my love.”

“But I don’t understand it!” Twilight sobbed “Rarity said that my dancing was quite something. And Pinkie was so impressed, she was completely silent. And Rainbow Dash even tried to include my moves into her show, saying that if she could move like that, even the Wonderbolts would be impressed. And Fluttershy called it nice. And Applejack was so in awe, she had her hoof in her mouth for the whole evening!”

“I… can see it right before my eyes…” Celestia noted with all the diplomacy she could muster. She continued to hug Twilight until the unicorn finally calmed down and the two parted.

Twilight shook her head, and suddenly she remembered where she was. Her eyes went to her parents, and her blush grew even deeper. Both had their hooves in front of their mouths, and tried desperately not to giggle like little school fillies.
“My Twily is in love…” Nightlight finally said “How adorable!”

And there was the shame again!

Two more hours of said shame later, the moon had reached its highest point and both couples agreed that it was time to retreat.

“Twilight Velvet, Nightlight, I can hardly express my gratitude for this evening. I had a wonderful time, and I promise that I will do my best to be a good partner for your daughter. Thank you for this evening!” Celestia said from the entry hall, Twilight at her side.

“It was an honour, Princess.” Velvet answered with a smile. “And what could two proud parents want more than their daughter being happy?”

“And if you take half as good care of her as you do of Equestria, we should be thanking you.” Nightlight added.

Twilight let out a chuckle, both glad that she had the absolute support of her parent and that torment would finally be over. She did love her parents, but she preferred them only in small doses.

“Oh, I did remember, I have to talk to the guard for a moment. Those poor souls have been warding us all the time.” Celestia suddenly noted “Be so good as to deliver my best wishes and greetings to Shining Armour and Cadance. Twilight, I’ll wait for you outside.”

Twilight was a bit surprised at the Princess nodding politely and turning to leave. She pushed the confusion aside and went in to hug both her parents tightly. “It was so good to see you both again!” she said happily, feeling her eyes becoming teary. “Thank you for supporting Celestia and me! You two are wonderful!”

“Everything for our favourite filly!” Velvet chuckled.

“You tie with your mom on my scale.” Nightlight added with a wink.

Twilight let go of them and let out a sigh. “But please, one more thing.”

“Anything!” Velvet said gladly.

“Please don’t tell anyone about my relationship with the princess.” Twilight stressed gravely “It… it’s complicated, but we don’t want anyone knowing yet.”

Both parents looked slightly concerned for a moment but nodded.

“You know, just until I graduate. So nopony can claim that I seduced the teacher.” Twilight added, earning a chuckle from Nightlight.

“It’s probably for the better, Twily. This family is already rolling in fame and good fortune. I won two youth book prizes, your brother married a princess and rules a kingdom with her… and your father does stuff.” Velvet said, giving a slight side-glance at her husband.

“Her father does amazing stuff!” Nightlight added with a grin.

All three let out a laugh, and, after another hug, Twilight turned to leave and joined Celestia on the porch of her parent’s house. To her surprise, the guards and the royal coach were gone, and Celestia was looking at the stars with a soft smile on her face.

“A bit for your thoughts?” Twilight asked softly, stepping next to the princess.

“This was the most fun evening I have had in ages.” Celestia answered gently. “I don’t think I’ve had this much enjoyment ever since Spike moved away. I… I don’t get to be myself with others very often.”

Twilight stepped a little closer and rubbed her cheek against Celestia’s shoulder. “You should be more often… *yourself* is an amazing pony. My parents sure think so. And I had no idea you had so many baby stories to share. They had so much fun.”

“It does seem that way…” the alicorn noted gently and gave Twilight a wink. “You are courting a complete cougar-mom.”

“Like the big cat?”

“I’ll explain another time…”

“So… where is the guard?” Twilight asked after a few moments of wondering “I kinda expected them to wait here for us.”

“Oh… I told them to pull the coach back to the castle and project an illusion of us in there.” Celestia explained rising. “I… I do want to end this night on a special note…”

“Hmm? What exactly do you have in mind?” the unicorn asked with careful curiosity. Celestia’s whims were unpredictable to her.

Slowly, the princess of the sun kneeled down next to Twilight and extended her wing down. “Get up and I will show you.”

Twilight blushed. “Erm…”

“Now don’t be shy, dear. How often do you get the chance to hitch a ride on the ruler of Equestria?”

“Does almost tackling Nightmare Moon count?”

“Only if she carried you at least ten meters. Now come on!” Celestia giggled. She quickly ducked down, slipping beneath Twilight’s legs and hoisting her onto her back.

“Wha?” Twilight gasped, trying to reposition herself on top of the princess.

“Now get comfy, my dear. We are taking the scenic route!” The alicorn giggled. Twilight shifted so their barrels were parallel to each other and her forelegs were wrapped around the princess’ neck.

“Didn’t you say that I wasn’t supposed to be on your back yet?” Twilight asked, much too comfortable on the soft back of her lover.

“Oh, Twilight… that was hours ago!” Celestia giggled, beginning to flap her wings.

The pair slowly began to rise. Twilight felt butterflies in her stomach. Not only was she very close to Celestia, she was also going to experience one of the rare occasions of the princess using her wings when she was around. For some reason, Twilight assumed it was because Celestia didn’t want to intimidate her; the princess usually kept her plumes close to her barrel, so it was a rare treat to see Celestia leave the ground. Unless it was when she was busy undoing a really-want-it spell going horribly wrong.
The pair began to rise above the houses around them, and suddenly Celestia began to accelerate forward. Twilight let out a small yelp and tightened her grip. Her cheek pressed against the princess’ neck, the unicorn didn’t dare to look around. The butterflies in her stomach that Celestia’s presence caused were quickly replaced by those reserved for the laws of acceleration. The two were beginning to race across the sky and the cold air was tugging at Twilight’s hair. Sometimes a lock of Celestia’s hair obscured her vision, and she was partially thankful because it was getting rather clear that Twilight did not have the vertigo-resistance that Rainbow Dash had. Trying not to look at the rapidly passing landscape, Twilight instead focused on Celestia’s face… and her eyes went wide.
The Princess had a broad grin on her face broken sometimes by a bit of strain and effort when her wings beat at their hardest.

“She loves flying…” Twilight muttered to herself. “And she is sharing it with me!”

The pair reached the summit of Celestia’s rise, and the princess stiffened one wing to fly a little circle. Finally, she began a softer glide.

Twilight looked down at Canterlot beneath them, the streets like veins of light and the castle brightly towering above them. And yet, it seemed so small and insignificant from up here, where she was alone with her princess.

“I so rarely get to see my kingdom from here…”

Twilight looked up, surprised by the tint of sadness in Celestia’s voice.

“Most of the time it is duty. The rest of the time it is the concern of my protectors… or exhaustion…” Celestia paused, and Twilight felt the alicorn’s chest expand in a deep breath “Or the knowledge that I have nopony to share this view with…”

The unicorn felt her eyes burn a bit, and hugged her princess tighter. “You have now!” she said just loudly enough not to be drowned out by the wind “And it’s almost as beautiful as you are. Thank you for sharing it with me.”

Celestia remained silent ,approaching a nearby cloud and landing atop it. Slowly, she lowered herself to lie down, being very careful to keep Twilight on her back.
For a moment, Twilight considered using her cloudwalking spell to hop off, but that idea quickly lost to the enjoyment that Celestia’s closeness brought.
Celestia gently turned her head and looked into Twilight’s eyes. A blush appeared on the unicorn’s cheeks. The princess had the softest hint of pink on hers, and her big magenta eyes were full of soft affection. She placed the softest of kisses on Twilight’s nose and crossed her horn with the unicorn’s. Slowly, the princess closed her eyes, and Twilight felt the body beneath her relax.

Crossing horns…

Twilight could still remember the last time she had seen Celestia cross horns with a pony besides herself.
It had been with Queen Chrysalis during the changeling invasion, just before the two had fired their magic at each other.
For a second, Twilight was amazed by how such a similar action could mean deep hatred as well as the endless affection that she was feeling in this moment. Then she decided to think about such things at a later date, and simply enjoy Celestia’s closeness.
Twilight didn’t notice the time pass. She just noticed that at some point, Celestia withdrew and placed another kiss on her nose.

“I think we should get back to the castle…” the princess stated calmly, all sadness gone from her voice.

Twilight nodded quickly stealing another kiss. Celestia turned her head straight and got up.

“Twilight?” the princess asked suddenly “Do you trust me?”

“Of course, Celestia!”

“There is something that I want to do… It’s a lot of fun and really exciting, but you have to trust me. I promise, it will be fun.”

Twilight blushed. She was not sure if she was ready for… nah! Celestia knew that Twilight was not yet ready for that. Certainly this was something different, and Twilight should get her mind out of the gutter! “Erm… sure.”

“Then take a deep breath…”

Twilight did so.

“And off you go!”

Suddenly, Celestia extended her wing and moved her body around harshly.

With a yelp, Twilight rolled off the princess and fell through the cloud. For a moment, panic began to overcome her, but just before it could take a hold of her heart, she noticed a soft, golden aura around her body, and the worry dissipated. Seconds later, Celestia materialized beside in front of her, her wings tight against her barrel, so the two could fall towards Equestria together.

The unicorn looked down at the approaching ground, a grin forming on her features. With her fears gone, she could enjoy the adrenaline now pumping through her veins. This was nothing compared to her adventures, of course, but the thrill was intoxicating. It was the closest she would ever come to flying, so she would enjoy it!
Canterlot began to blend out the rest of the world. Celestia disappeared, and Twilight felt the princess come into being beneath her. Quickly, she held tight to the alicorn’s neck.

Celestia opened her wings and began to fight gravity.

The unicorn felt her weight multiplying, as she was pressed into her princess and the rush came to its height.
Seconds later, Celestia had won her struggle, and the proud alicorn was gliding through the sky again.

“Next time tell me if you want to dump me!” Twilight laughed, her body trembling slightly.

“Oh, Twi, I would never drop you right in the middle of Canterlot!” Celestia laughed “So many witnesses!”

“You could just make it legal. No crime where there is no law.” Twilight answered, still riding her adrenalin. She felt Celestia’s barrel quiver with laughter.

“Oh, Twilight, don’t make me laugh while I carry you. I might drop you for real…”

The unicorn sighed hugging her princess tighter as they approached the castle.
A short time later, Celestia landed on her balcony. She entered her bedroom, casually undoing the magic that kept her safe during the night with a golden glow of her horn.

“I think you can get off now, dear…” she said, noticing that Twilight was still holding onto her.

Twilight nodded and quickly slid off the princess, partially glad to have some solid ground beneath her hooves again. “You should be glad that I have gotten used to adrenaline rushes. Imagine what a mess I would be if I hadn’t turned into a regular adventurer.” The unicorn teased, stretching her body.

“You were always brave, Twilight… though I agree that you have grown with your challenges.” Celestia answered.

The unicorn turned serious for a moment. “Why don’t you go flying more often if you love it so much?”

Celestia let out a soft sigh. “Because sometimes, when I see the horizon from above… I feel the temptation to keep on flying and flying until my wings tire and never look back. And then I feel ashamed…”

Twilight offered a soft smile. “You would never give in. You love your little ponies too much for that. And it's amazing that you won’t let go.”

“Admittedly, it’s much easier when I have somepony as amazing as you with me.” The alicorn said with a smile.

“Now I am proud to be your ball and chain!” Twilight giggled, giving Celestia’s leg a quick nuzzle.

The princess ran her hoof slowly through Twilight’s mane in response. “So… shall I teleport you to your quarters?”

Twilight froze for a moment. Sure, why not? Return to…
“Erm… Celestia? I know that we are… erm…” Twilight suddenly said, partially surprising herself. “You know… can I sleep here again?”

Celestia raised her eyebrows, clearly surprised by her lover.

“I mean… I don’t want to sleep with you… yet! Just... stay with you for the night.” Twilight quickly explained “I mean… when you holiday is over, we won’t be able to see each other that often. And… I kinda want to have a sleepover.”

Celestia let out a giggle. “Oh, Twilight, you are so adorable… too brave to let out a single scream when you fall through the sky but now you stammer when you ask your lover to share their bed with you.”

Twilight blushed deeply, but quickly recovered. “Bed? I thought we agreed to sleep on the floor!”

And laughter filled the room until the two lovers went to bed.


*Intermission*
A few hours before, in the biggest and most prestigious mansion in all of Canterlot, several servants were quickly scampering around and mostly away from the private chambers of the one and only Prince Blueblood of the unicorns. One of them was heaving a huge bag of bits reserved for a patient mule currently sitting in the lobby. There was a certain tension in the air. A familiar tension that was usually described as “the master is having one of his moods”. They had gotten less severe in recent times, but the Prince had yet to completely free himself of such episodes.

Currently, said Prince was standing in front of his favourite mirror (every mirror that showed his visage was his favourite), applying the last bits of work that made him usually look amazing. But even his own magnificence could not ease the deep frown on his face.
“Can you believe her nerve?!” He snapped “Comes back with such a ludicrous and clearly manipulated story and then demands to be paid?! I tell you, it is impossible to find decent personnel these days! Impossible!”

“And you are sure that she isn’t telling the truth?” a feminine voice asked from behind him, sometimes interrupted by the sound of a grape being chewed.

“Of course! It is unheard of that aunt Celestia would just disappear unannounced and without warning like that! And then this…” Blueblood forced himself not to spit, and instead levitated his collar over “This mare takes her throne and we are all supposed to just take it?! This is treason all over again! We cannot stand for this! We have to fight her!”

“So you-“

“Yes! I did as you told me!” the stallion fidgeted with his collar. “I sent a formal request, and if she shows up, she forfeits night court, Then we can come in during the daytime with a faked emergency declaration to force her hoof. If she shows up all tired, we can file a motion of no-confidence and force her to release auntie.”

A silence followed wherein Blueblood kept trying to get his collar done right. He was stopped by the other pony clearing her throat, and suddenly froze, realizing what he had done. “Erm…” he muttered, nervousness overcoming him “I didn’t mean to interrupt you. I am just very… stressed. I am worried about auntie and-“

A blue glimmer grabbed his collar and put it into its perfect place with one quick motion.

“There is still no reason to be rude!” the mare behind him said. Blueblood caught a glimpse of her approaching him from behind. “You will find out the truth and set right what has to be set right!”

He nodded. She had a way of… asserting herself when he needed her to.

“They will tremble before us…” She continued, walking up next to him. Her soft, blue coat brushed against his “Before the Prince of all Unicorns and the Great and Powerful Trixie!”

Author's Note:

And so, the true enemy has been revealed. The puppetmistress that made Blueblood slightly less incompetent than usual. The sinister force that might slightly inconvenience the happiness of our heroes. Can their well-meaning but silly EVUL be controlled?
Next BatPONYtime, Same BatPONYchannel

In all seriousness. Enjoy and comment.
Pre-reading done by His Bunnycatness