• Published 2nd Feb 2012
  • 21,582 Views, 683 Comments

Between Day and Night - Davesknd



Twilight is called back to Canterlot to spend some time with the princesses

  • ...
32
 683
 21,582

Preparing Phase Five

The shattered elements reformed, a unicorn´s eyes burning with unfathomable magic, a rainbow cascading in her direction, her own desperate wail...

These were the pictures that could cloud even Luna’s mind with fear. From now on, she would add the happy chattering of her sister and said sister’s student.

No matter how harmless the conversation seemed, the princess of the night was sweating bullets.
After leaving the hoofkerchief, she had teleported directly into the laboratory and was listening to the two chatting mares.

Minutes felt like hours...

There was some harmless talking and a few jokes. No indication that they found Autumn. Not a sound from him either.
Was he even still in there? Had he panicked and was cowering in a corner? How many more moments until Celestia found out?

They were leaving.

THEY WERE LEAVING!

Luna let out a sigh of relief.

A part of her wanted to teleport into the dining chamber, but two more voices stopped her.

The maids were cleaning up. Autumn would have to walk then.

The princess opened the door and waited.

She had made a critical mistake. The fact that she had never been one to delegate much had caught up to her again. Usually it was her and Celestia.
And in her darkest moments, she had gone so far to split into multiple ponies, since she was sure that she could never trust anypony.

Nightmare Moon worked alone.

And therefore Luna had made the biggest mistake a pony could make: She had reduced Autumn to his cutie mark.

Not only had she looked at him as little more than a walking alchemy lab, she had adjusted her plans to make sure he had something to do.

“Really want it ink... what was I thinking!” she scolded herself, eyeing the stone inkwell with disgust.

Celestia had understood a long time ago and used to say it over and over again: “If your subjects have only one strength and purpose in your eyes, you are not ruling a country, you are playing chess!”

Ponies were more than just one talent. They had personality, soul and layers! And even cutie marks could be interpreted and practiced in different ways!

*I need to work this out quickly!* The moon princess pondered *As soon as he comes back, I’ll ask him to destroy the ink. When he is resting, I will find something else for him to do. It will be a good exercise....* Luna decided silently. *And it would probably break his heart if I sent him home or told him to just not get in the way...*

After a while, a trail of slightly damp hoofprints entered.

“You did well!” Luna said and lifted the spell off her follower, who walked by her without slowing down.

His cheeks were... blue?

“Are you all right?” Luna asked with surprise and concern. This stallion had changed colours rather often lately.
Autumn went straight for his saddlebags and rummaged around. Luna could see him grab a bottle of green liquid and down half of it in one swing.

A disgusting scent of mildew filled the room and the moon princess knew what her follower had just downed.

“Isn’t it a bit early to open the cider?” she asked with a wrinkled nose.
The vile fluid was supposed to be a substitute for regular cider that the stallion had developed for the eternal night. He had explained how the whole process worked to Luna, and she was as impressed by the creativity as she was horrified by the chemistry. Out of politeness, she had tried it once. The taste was best described by licking the bottom of a compost heap after taking a swing of disinfectant. The night princess had the suspicion that you could only survive the drink because it was partially penicillin based. Deep inside, she knew that the stallion was only brewing and drinking it out of misled pride.

Autumn looked at her through teary eyes.

“When I grabbed the flyer... I thought Celestia had seen the paper move!” he whimpered “I was so scared that I swallowed it!”

“Oh...”

“It got stuck halfway down...” the stallion wheezed and coughed a few times and emptied the drink. Luna tried not to think about the content of the stallion’s stomach right now... He should probably avoid rapid motion and open lights for a while. “Sorry, princess, I don’t think that I’m cut out for this kind of sneakiness...”

The night princess shut her eyes and took a breath. Besides his missteps, Autumn had performed beyond expectations. Celestia was oblivious, Twilight had the message in her head and the flier was no more.
The ink would motivate and invigorate the unicorn for several hours to come, so the princess could just let the two spend a nice afternoon, while she had ample time to fulfil her duties and plot some more. But first things first!

“Autumn, neutralize the ink. We can’t afford another mishap like this.” Luna ordered.

The stallion went silent and turned around. Luna watched as he put on the protective lenses and emptied a small vial into the inkwell. Heartbeats later, the black liquid turned white and milky.

“We will change our approach.” The princess explained. “Go to bed now. I have ordered the maids to treat you as my personal guest. They will provide you with food...”

A loud gurgle in Autumn’s stomach seemed to answer. Luna took a little more distance. But since he didn’t explode after 5 seconds, she continued.

“You will be summoned again at nightfall, when we will continue our scheme. For now, we will let this day play out without interference. I will talk to Celestia in the evening and decide our next steps from then on.”

The stallion nodded slightly and hung his head. “Again: I’m sorry for messing up... I will try harder, princess.” he said quietly, bowed deeply and turned to go.

Luna bit her lip. *Celestia would give him a pat on the back and gently point out his strengths...* the princess pondered*Well... I agree with the basic direction. And he deserves a cheering up. He will probably get nightmares from what he ate anyways...*

A thunderclap made Autumn spin around.

Before him stood Nightmare Moon, clad in silver armour and a mane of thousand stars.

The stallion’s mouth dropped open in awe. He had never beheld the dark majesty of his princess in person, only on paintings and statues.

Luna reared to her hindlegs, wings unfolded “Thou hast performed far beyond Our expectations! Consider any mistake redeemed! We are proud to call thee the head of Our followers and Our most loyal servant! Now go and rest with the knowledge that We, the princess of the night, are very proud of... Autumn?”

“Sorry…”

“Are you crying?”

“Sorry...” the stallion muttered between gentle sobs “I just wish I could share this moment with Diamond Shadow... I feel soooooo happy!” he quietly added “She’d be proud of me for once.”

Luna broke the spell and gave him a smile. “Get some sleep. I need you fully rested.”

Autumn nodded, wiped his tears away and turned to go.
After the door closed, the moon princess let out a sigh. Autumn’s devotion was worrying at some points. While she did enjoy it, she didn’t feel as if she had fully earned it.
*At least not yet!* Luna told herself and left the room, locking it behind her.
She quickly moved through the castle towards her private study. A small smile crept to her face as she saw the two ponies waiting in front of the door.

“Excuse us being late.” Luna apologized and opened the door, allowing the other ponies to enter as well.

“Commander Moonsilver, Sub-Commander Blasted Sky” she greeted the two officers “How did the night go?”
The two guards exchanged a quick glance.

“Depends...” Silver, a unicorn answered.

“We both had a rough night in my opinion.” the pegasus next to her added.

Both ponies were night honour guards and both had gone through the change, giving them both serpentine, yellow eyes and small fangs.
But where the imbuing with darkness had turned the pegasus’ plumes into leathery, bat-like wings, it had given the unicorn a smooth, curved, almost fang-like horn with a sharp tip, not much unlike King Sombra’s.

Originally, Luna had developed the treatment solely to improve her personal guards’ vision. The other changes were mostly cosmetic, but she was the princess of the night. Her guards should embody darkness and have a sinister aura.

Modern translation: She thought it looked really cool!

“Were there problems with the public?” Luna asked with a bit of worry.

“After hearing that you would take the reins for a while, a few nobles panicked and started to gather their private armies of bodyguards in their estates.” Silver started “Now, seeing the moon-bow didn’t reassure them, so they ordered their forces to arm themselves and fend off, and I quote Prince Blueblood: ‘Those brainwashed monster ponies that the witch spawned’.”

Luna’s eyes went wide.

Silver continued. “So, when our guards made their routes, they got spears shoved into their faces at every door in the noble districts. So I asked for reinforcements, in case the nobles would get any bad ideas.” The unicorn rolled her eyes “Bad idea! They started to wake up their gardeners and housekeepers, *armed* them with garden hoses and brooms and put them on their walls.”

The moon princess’ jaw dropped.

“It didn’t help that the sub-commander sent me way more ponies than I asked for.” The commander added, looking over to Sky.

“You can blame the princess’ followers for that!” the Pegasus answered briskly.

“Oh, goodness, what did they do?” Luna sighed.

“They put up a few stands and sold snacks, tea, heated punch and some Horsetrian specialty which is basically spiced, hot wine. One of them has to be a cook form there or something...” Blasted Sky elaborated “Well, they offered all of that, but they mostly SOLD the wine.... Nothing better to keep warm in a cold fall night. After a while, everypony was getting very patriotic, so they started singing songs, drinking to your name, celebrating your grace for giving us such a wonderful view and being completely blind towards the irony of toasting to the night with something made from sun-matured grapes... with a foreign beverage.”

“Our followers did that?” the moon princess asked in surprise.

“Yeah... Pretty quick organizing, if you ask me... Anyhow, the problems started when the ponies got patriotic enough to invite my men to raise a mug with them. If you get what I mean.”

“So Silver had a cold war going on and you had troubled keeping the guards sober?” Luna asked, a part of her missing her time in the moon.

“That’s why I sent as many as possible to the commander. The celebrants were peaceful and those drinks were too alluring. The followers even helped the drunk to find home. Fighting changelings is one thing, but free booze! My men are not made of stone!” The sub-commander finished.

“So... how did the crisis with nobility end?” the alicorn asked, fearing the answer.

“I have to point out Agent Shadow’s part in this. Her suggestion was very useful.” The unicorn pointed out. “She said that if they want to raise the stakes, we raise higher.”

“WHAT?”

“So we sent a few guards to a nearby store and confiscated some feather dusters, coat hangers and other impractical and mostly harmless stuff. Then we gave half of the guards that and sent them to patrol. Seeing those evil and horrible monster ponies run around armed with staplers, foal scissors and toilet brooms, they quickly understood the absurdity. She called it the *Ponyville Way*.”

“The what?”

“They pull a rake, we pull a plunger!
They send one of us shaking his head; we send one of them laughing!
That’s the Ponyville Way and that’s how you deal with fools!” Silver finished. “Clearly,she was inspired by Pinkie Pie. We returned the *weaponry* in the morning.”

Luna had expected some problems, since the whole thing was on rather short notice, but apparently, the right ponies were in the right places. Diamond Shadow in particular had gotten far more interesting. Maybe it was time to find out more about her.

“Well done, both of you.” The moon princess stressed. “Silver, you are dismissed, get yourself some rest.”

The unicorn saluted.

“I will require a word with you, Sub-commander.”

Both ponies nodded and Moonsilver left after a bow.
Blasted Sky looked at Luna calmly. While Silver had been suggested by Celestia, Luna had personally asked the pegasus to become the sub-commander of her guard. Originally he had worked in the internal affairs department of the law-division and his track record was impressive.
The moon princess had insisted on having at least one lawpony high in her personal guard. Soldiers were useful during times of war and crisis, but Blasted Sky and his kind kept the country running peacefully when there was no external threat.

“What do you ask of me, princess?” the officer asked.
“We would like to talk about Diamond Shadow. You are her direct superior, right?”

The stallion nodded.

“How is she doing?” Luna asked carefully.

“Good material, of course. A great interrogator! Everything you expect from a former agent. To be honest, I’m glad that she works for us. She could do some serious damage on the wrong side of the law.” The Pegasus stated.

Luna nodded. “How did she take the change?”

“Almost too well. She had the same beginner’s pains as everyone but she mostly complained that she could no longer hide her switchblade in her wings. I tell you, that filly was born with fangs, we just made them visible.” The guard answered.
“And the new environment?”

“Oh... She is still a bit uncomfortable in the uniform. Still used to blending in, I guess. But I think Agent Shadow has a fine career ahead of her.”

“You still refer to her as `agent´?”

“Well, they never revoked her rank and it is custom to refer to soldiers by their highest rank.” The stallion explained and after a few seconds he added: “And Agent Shadow just sounds really cool.”

The alicorn closed her eyes for a moment: Time for the big one. “You are used to sniffing out bad apples, Blasted. What is your opinion on her... career choices?”

For the first time, the stallion seemed slightly uncomfortable. “Princess... this is a bit tough. From a purely professional point, I’m forced to point to the book.”

“We asked for your opinion, Blasted.”

“Look, if it were a fling, a thrill thing, a quick rush... something like that. Then I’d say we give her a formal reprimand and a second chance. But those two are steady now… and the whole cult is accepted! I had a talk with her about it. From what I understand, she considered her career over from the moment she started pursuing this relationship. The rules say that you shouldn’t fall for your target, but honestly: This guy shouldn’t have been a target from the start! Personally, I would have pulled her out and closed the case after a few months. From what I heard, Celestia herself wanted to keep tabs on them. This whole thing was a mess and it seems as if the service didn’t want to deal with it. She would probably still hang in the air, if you hadn’t offered her the position. I guess I should be grateful that we got a very loyal night guard out of this mess.”
“I heard that she still cooperates with the service.” Luna inquired further.

“Yes, mostly desk work and sometimes help with an interrogation. I believe it is a good idea if we allow her to keep it up. It’s good for our relationship with the secret service and it would be a waste if we turned her into a full honour guard.” The officer scratched the back of his head “Don’t get me wrong, princess, but protecting you can feel a bit redundant. Since you can throw lightning and all.”
“We understand, Sub-Commander.” Luna closed with a smile. “You are dismissed. And could you send Diamond Shadow to me? I have something to discuss with her.”

The stallion gave a bow and left.

After she was alone, the night princess opened her desk and quickly looked over the file of Diamond Shadow again. Something she had once heard popped into her head:
There were a few variations, but the basic premise was to be good, because if you are not a good little pony, then you might not get a good cutie mark. If you do bad things, you might wake up one day with a bad cutie mark. Better not find a talent at all, because sometimes it is better to stay a blank flank than to find out that the thing that makes you special is evil.
And then, you would have your cute-ceañera and you would get not one cake, but two.

One for finding your cutie mark.

One as a parting gift.

Because the princesses in their eternal wisdom and love could not allow you to hurt and endanger their good ponies. And no matter how sad it makes them, they have to do something about a bad little pony like you. So they will send out their agents… and they will come, they will find you, they will explain your future politely to your parents and then they will take you far away, so you can never hurt anypony ever again.

So be good!

Be good and eat your vegetables! Yes, they are totally gonna take you away for not eating your vegetables! LANGUAGE YOUNG LADY! It’s TARTARUS for a foul mouth!

Luna blocked out the last part: The noble who had told or rather yelled it was getting desperate when her daughter didn’t behave in the presence of the princesses.

The rest was true.

Celestia had installed the cute-ceañera tradition a long time ago to encourage ponies to show off their foals’ cutie marks. For almost all ponies, this was a wonderful day indeed, but sadly, not every pony was lucky. Sometimes a pony developed a talent or a trait that was dangerous or could be exploited for evil. And even if the pony would vow to never use her talent, things would turn out badly: Ponies needed to express their talents. Keeping the thing that gives you a place in the world buried almost always leads to CMRS (Cute Mark Repression Syndrome), one of the true banes of Ponydom.
While CMFIS (Cutie Mark Failure Insanity Syndrome) usually ended in rather harmless and easily healed mental unrest, CMRS was a gateway into endless and grave psychological problems, from depression over self-loathing to narcissism and delusions of grandeur, depending on the circumstances and the pony in question.
Luna herself had once faced a pony that, after being rejected by the world, started to worship her talent’s darkest aspects and finally turned on her fellow ponies. She still faced that pony every day in every mirror.
Celestia had admitted to her sister that she herself did not like the idea of spying on the growing youth of Equestria, but the special magic of ponykind had forced her hoof.
The festivities were traditionally public and it was at that point when parents or teachers were approached by local law enforcement.

Most of the time, they left without looking back. Usually after doing some damage to the cake. Privileges and all. But in very rare instances, they had to send a letter to Canterlot.

Not long afterwards, a soft spoken and polite professional would visit the family, have a talk with the foal and the family and finally offer a few flyers for education options. Funded by the royal sisters, of course.

“You have a stabbing cutie mark? Ever thought about becoming a surgeon? You know about wound entry angles, right, so how about forensics? Surely show-jousting could interest you, right?”

“Your special talent is handling explosives? Ever considered learning about static and going into demolition? There is a whole movie industry waiting for your work! If you really want to build them, we can surely find something in the army for you.”

“You are a good liar? How about acting lessons? You feel no remorse? Do you want to be a spy?”

A soft knock tore Luna from her thoughts.

“Enter!”

An armour-clad pegasus walked through Luna’s door and kneeled before the princess. Her coat was royal blue with a midnight blue mane that she kept styled over the right side of her face. Luna knew that it was not so much a fashion choice as it was to hide the scars. Most of them from before she had worked for Equestria.

“How may I serve you, Princess?” the Pegasus asked.

“How was the night?” the moon princess opened carefully.

“Ungrateful.” Diamond Shadow answered briefly.

“We heard that you helped diffuse the issues with the upper crust of Canterlot.” Luna offered diplomatically.

*When I hear this metaphor, I can only imagine burnt toast and how I treat the crust there...* the pegasus thought to herself, but calmly said “Just a little miscommunication.”

“Very well done.” Luna stated proudly “But the main reason why you were summoned is this: Autumn will be staying at the castle for the next week.”

For the first time since she entered the Pegasus showed an emotion. “Autumn? Here?” she asked in surprise “Please don’t tell me he is in the dungeon...”

“What? NO! Why?”

“The only reason that came to my mind is that he did something foalish.” Diamond Shadow admitted.

“No, Autumn will be a guest for the next week.” Luna explained “He will be helping with a project.”
“He... will?” the Pegasus asked, seemingly shocked “You... you really gave him a job!”

“Is something wrong?”

“No! No! That is wonderful! WONDERFUL!” the night guard cheered “I always knew that he could do so much more for Equestria than just sit at home and grow mushrooms in the basement! May I ask what he is working on?”

A thought occurred to Luna: Maybe the mare could tell her how to better use Autumn. “Isn’t that obvious?” she said proudly.

“Let me guess: He helps you choose the best artist to replace the Nightmare Moon statues with ones of you! We did clean them with the cult every second month after all. Oh, no he must be working on a new image for Nightmare Night! He had so many great ideas on how to ease young foals into it! Or do you ask him how to better approach the modern age? Because he spent months studying ancient times and how to introduce you!” Diamond Shadow guessed with surprising eagerness.

*OH COME ON!* Luna yelled mentally. Now she had a bad conscience. “No, Autumn is...” the moon princess paused for a moment. The stallion had been right: he was not cut for sneaking around. The mare in front of her on the other hoof... she was trained to do so. Maybe it was time to test her loyalty.
“I will be honest with you: Celestia is not on holiday out of her free will.” The night princess stated calmly. She could literally see the guard’s features getting harder to read.

“I caused an... incident that removed her from duty, so she could take a week off. During this week, Autumn and Red Devil Apple will help me ensure that my sister enjoys her time, while I take over her duties.”

“Why do you tell me that, princess?” Diamond Shadow asked calmly.

“Because I want you to help me as well.” Luna admitted “I need a pony like you in on this.”

There was a pause in which the Pegasus did not break eye contact with Luna. The night princess felt tested, as if the smaller pony was looking for a something in her gaze.

“I serve you and only you, princess!” the agent said after a while.

“I am glad to hear that.” Luna answered almost happily “I will try to reschedule you for tomorrow night. If I make you disappear too suddenly, there might be questions.”

“Understood, princess!”

“Oh, and before I forget: Autumn is in the honour guest room on the second floor. I’m sure he would be happy if you paid him a short visit.” Luna added.

A grin snuck on the usually hard face of the guard. “I will be happy to oblige, my princess!”

“I have just one more question...” Luna added before Diamond Shadow left “Just out of curiosity: after you changed. How did Autumn react?“

“He was… supportive.”

*Several months ago*

A black carriage rolled through the streets of Canterlot, drawn by several fierce looking night ponies.
Inside, Diamond Shadow was in a world of unpleasantness. The newly formed leather of her wings hung aching and twitching from her sides, the muscles still too fresh and too unfamiliar to be of use, her eyes were hypersensitive and itchy and she had bitten her own tongue at least four times by now. Luckily the other night guards hadn’t attempted any hollow consolation and instead offered her a ride home.
As they made it to her home in the commoners’ districts of Canterlot, a fellow guard helped her find the way to her home. She was wearing a blindfold and a cape.

It took the door just a few seconds to open after they had rung the bell and the pegasus found herself in a familiar embrace. A huge kiss was planted on her lips, making her forget the ache for a short moment.

“I think you can take it from here…” the other guard snickered and quickly advised the pair to keep the curtains shut before he left.

Autumn helped his girlfriend remove her cloak and store her armour.

“I didn’t expect you so soon.” He admitted while quickly darkening the room. “I was just about to go and borrow a power drill for your pole, but that can wait now.”

“Wait! Power drill? And what pole?” the Pegasus asked in surprise.

“You know… your pole. I bought one for you to hang from when you sleep.” The stallion answered sincerely.

“Why would I hang from a…” She glanced to her wings “Oh wait… no!” the pegaus moaned. “Let me guess: that buzzing sound is my dinner!”

“Fresh from Froggy Bottom Bog!” the unicorn nodded proudly. His eyes glanced over his marefriend and stopped at her fangs. “But I see that I can release them again… but don’t worry, I have prepared for every eventuality!” He quickly produced a spice rack.

“Why are there syringes next to the salt?” Diamond Shadow asked after a face hoof.

“I got some insulin from nurse Coldheart. Together with dextrose, you can adjust my blood sugar to your taste when you feed on me!” the stallion explained with the most sincere smile in the world.

“Autumn…”

“Yes?”

“I would punch you if this wasn’t so sweet!”