• Published 20th Mar 2013
  • 12,913 Views, 886 Comments

Gotta Dash 'em All - Rainbow Dash the Awesome

  • ...
40
 886
 12,913

Chapter 1: Dash meets Ash

It was another beautiful day in the Unova region; the sun was shining, a calm breeze was blowing through the trees, and powerful attacks were shooting across the sky between two ferocious draconian Pokemon. "Now Charizard, use Flamethrower!" Ash called to his Charizard after it dodged yet another Ice Beam. Charizard quickly turned around to face its opponent, Iris' Dragonite, and fired a Flamethrower right at it.

"Dragonite, use Flamethrower too!" Iris called, prompting Dragonite to launch its own Flamethrower at Charizard. The two Flamethowers collided in mid-air, stopping each other. Both Charizard and Dragonite continued to breathe fire, trying to push each others' attacks back, until the force of the Flamethrowers clashing caused both attacks to burst, blasting both Pokemon back and creating a large cloud of smoke, which quickly surrounded both competitors.

Ash and Iris both watched the cloud intently, unable to see where their Pokemon were. Suddenly, Ash came up with an idea. "Charizard, use Overheat and spin!" Inside the cloud, Charizard began to spin in place and blasted an Overheat attack, which quickly began to swirl around it. Ash watched intently as the cloud began to glow yellow, and sure enough, moments later, he heard Dragonite yell as it was struck by the Overheat and hit out of the cloud. "Now Charizard, get out of there and use Flamethrower!" Charizard obediently emerged from the cloud and used a Flamethrower attack at its now visible opponent.

Iris quickly called to Dragonite "Quick, use Flamethrower!" Dragonite fired another Flamethrower, which again collided with Charizard's Flamethrower. This time, however, Dragonite's Flamethrower ended up pushing back Charizard's until it struck Charizard and blasted it backward, blowing away what was left of the smoke.

Ash gasped as he saw this "What happened? Why didn't the attacks cancel out again?"

Cilan, who was acting as the referee for the battle, turned to Ash and answered "Because Overheat lowers your Pokemon's special attack every time you use it. After that Overheat attack, Charizard's Flamethrower was weaker than it had been before the Overheat."

"Oh no, I totally forgot about that" Ash groaned. "Well, at least I still have physical attacks! Charizard, use Dragon Tail!" Charizard's tail began to glow in a white green color and it charged at Dragonite.

"Dragonite, use Thunderpunch!" Iris yelled. Dragonite pulled back its fist and charged it with electricity, getting ready for Charizard's attack. When Charizard was mere feet away, it turned and swung its tail at Dragonite, and Dragonite retaliated by striking Charizard's tail with its Thunderpunch. Both Pokemon were pushed back from the force of the collision.

Cilan watched intently and commented "Dragonite's a Dragon-type, so Dragon Tail is super effective. Meanwhile, Charizard is a Flying-type, so Thunderpunch is super effective as well. I'd say both of them took a lot of damage from that collision." Sure enough, both Dragonite and Charizard were starting to pant from exhaustion at this point, but neither one seemed any worse off than the other.

When Ash noticed how tired both Pokémon were, he decided he needed to wrap the battle up quickly. "Charizard, use Overheat!" he commanded. Charizard blasted another surge of yellow flame at Dragonite.

"Quick Dragonite, use Dragon Rush!" Iris yelled in response. Dragonite flew up and became cloaked in a body of blue flames in the shape of a dragon, and then charged straight into the Overheat. When Dragonite collided with the Overheat, the force of its Dragon Rush brushed off the flames and it continued to charge forward.

Ash suddenly grinned "Charizard, use Dragon Tail!" Just as Dragonite was about to hit, Charizard flipped around and struck it with Dragon Tail. There was a massive explosion from the impact, and as the smoke cleared Dragonite fell to the ground unconscious.

"Dragonite is unable to battle," Cilan declared, "and the winner is Charizard!"

"Way to go Charizard!" Ash cheered, looking up at Charizard. He then turned to Iris "That was an awesome battle, thanks. Dragonite worked really hard."

"Thanks," Iris said as she returned Dragonite to its Pokéball. She looked up at Charizard and smiled "congratulations, but Dragonite's going to be the one to win next time." Charizard just brushed off a bit of soot as it looked back down at them. Suddenly, there was a loud booming noise, causing Ash and his friends to jump and all the wild Pokémon in the area to run for cover. As the group looked back up, they saw what looked like some sort of wormhole appear in the air directly behind Charizard. Before anyone could ask what was going on, they saw some kind of blue projectile shoot out of the wormhole, hitting Charizard in the back and causing both itself and Charizard to plummet to the ground. They landed among the trees a few yards away from the group, so Ash and his friends quickly ran to the scene of the crash.

When the group found the spot where Charizard had crashed, Ash crouched down and calmly placed a hand on Charizard's shoulder. "Charizard?" he asked, "Are you okay?" There was no response, but Ash could easily hear Charizard's breathing, so he figured out that Charizard was just unconscious. "Thank goodness your safe, but we're gonna need to take you to a Pokémon center," he said as he held up Charizard's Pokéball. He returned Charizard to its Pokéball, but as soon as he did he heard a soft thud on the ground a few feet away. When he turned to see what had made the noise, he noticed a Pokémon lying unconscious where Charizard had just been. "Who's that Pokémon?" he asked, holding up his Pokedex.

The Pokédex scanned the strange Pokemon for a few seconds before answering "Unknown species, no data available."

"Unknown species?" Ash raised an eyebrow as he looked down at the Pokémon. It had the same basic body shape as a Ponyta, but without the flames. Its body was a sky blue, and its mane and tail had all the colors of the rainbow running down them, but the thing that most astonished Ash about this Pokémon was that it had wings.

"I've never seen anything like it," Cilan commented, "and based on what your Pokédex just said, neither has anyone else."

Iris ran up to the strange Pokémon and crouched down to get a closer look. She carefully reached out and felt the Pokémon's mane, then smiled and gave a delighted squeal. "It's so soft," she said, gently petting the Pokémon. "Aw, it's so pretty" she smiled. Suddenly, she was interrupted when the Pokémon began to cringe a little. She backed up a bit "Uh-oh, looks like it's really hurt. We'd better get to a Pokémon center quickly."

"I agree," Ash said as he ran up to the Pokémon and leaned down to pick it up. He carefully slid his hands under the Pokémon's neck and torso, and, with a bit of effort, lifted it up.

"Need any help?" Iris asked.

"Nah," he said, "I can handle it."

"Let's hope so," Cilan spoke up, "because the closest Pokémon center is three miles from here, at an uphill slope."

Ash groaned "me and my big mouth."


By the time they reached the Pokémon center, Ash was gasping for breath and struggling to hold up the Pokémon he was carrying. "Finally!" he exclaimed as they came through the door. The group walked up to the counter. "Nurse Joy," Ash started, "this Pokémon needs help right away!" He lifted the Pokémon up and set it on the counter.

Nurse Joy gasped "I've never seen a Pokémon like this before; we'd better start right away. Oh Audino," she called to the other room "we need a stretcher, stat."

"Audino" the Audino responded as it rolled out a stretcher. As it got the stretcher up to the counter, it helped Nurse Joy lift the blue Pokémon and lay it on the stretcher.

Nurse Joy began to roll the stretcher away but was stopped when Ash called after her "Wait, I almost forgot something. My Charizard got pretty beaten up in a battle earlier, so could you take care of it too?"

Iris held up Dragonite's Pokéball and added "The same goes for my Dragonite. It needs help too."

Nurse Joy nodded "Of course, I'll be happy to help." She returned to the counter and took the Pokéballs. "I'll tell you as soon as they're better."

"Thanks," Ash said, "we'll just hang around here and get some lunch while we wait." With that, Nurse joy placed the Pokéballs on the stretcher and rolled it out of the room. Ash and his friends walked to the cafe area of the Pokémon center and sat down to wait. Ash sighed "I sure hope that Pokémon is okay."

"Don't worry Ash," Cilan responded, "I'm sure if you just give Nurse Joy some time to take care of it, it'll be just fine in no time."

"Yeah, you worry too much," Iris said with a small laugh. "Before you know it, we'll be seeing that Pokémon back to full health." Little did she know just how right she was. Moments later, the door behind the counter burst open and the blue Pokémon rushed out into the lobby with a terrified expression on its face. It looked around in confusion at all the people and Pokémon staring at it, then it quickly flew out the door.

"Wait!" Nurse Joy called as she ran through the door, "You're still to hurt, we were just trying to make you better!" She saw Ash and ran over to him "When we were about to start figuring out what was wrong, the Pokémon woke up. When it saw me and Audino, it looked like it had seen a ghost and it panicked."

Ash stood up "But if it was able to fly like that, isn't that good? That means it's healthy, right?"

"No, Ash," Nurse Joy responded, shaking her head, "it was only able to do that because of the adrenaline it got from being startled like that. Once that wears off it'll be in even worse condition than before."

"What?!?" Ash demanded. He turned to his friends "Come on, we've gotta stop that Pokémon and bring it back before it's too late!" he pushed his chair in and ran for the door.

"Got it," Iris said as she jumped to her feet and started running for the door, "come on Cilan, we've got a Pokémon to find."

Cilan stood up and ran after his friends, stopping only for a moment to turn back to Nurse Joy and tell her "Don't worry, we'll get that Pokémon back in no time."

"Just be careful," Nurse Joy called after them, "the Pokémon is very scared, so when you find it it's likely to attack."

The group got outside and looked around, but couldn't see the blue Pokémon anywhere. Ash quickly turned to face the others "Okay, let's split up. We'll meet back here in thirty minutes, or after someone finds the Pokémon."

Iris nodded "Sounds good to me. I'll go to the left," she turned to Ash, "you take the right, and Cilan," she turned to face Cilan "you search the perimeter." Both Ash and Cilan nodded in agreement, and the trio split up to search.


Rainbow Dash flew as fast as she could out of the strange building she had woken up in, still unable to believe what was going on. She flew into the forest nearby and sat on a high branch surrounded by leaves, just trying to get her head around what was going on. “Okay, so I was trying a new stunt, got Twilight’s help, was going faster than ever before, and suddenly I’m waking up on a table surrounded by monsters? How did that happen? What were those things staring at me? There were a few big pink ones with huge ears, and one that looked like some kind of a hairless monkey.” She looked down from the tree in the direction of the building “what were they planning to do with me?” suddenly, she cringed at an intense pain in her wings “Owowow, I feel like I got hit by a train.”

As Rainbow watched from a distance, the door to the building opened and three of the strange creatures she had seen earlier ran out. One of them had green hair and a vest like a waiter, one had very long hair and a jacket tied around its waist, and one had a hat and a large yellow rodent on its shoulder. Rainbow ducked down into the cover of the leaves so she could watch them without being seen. They just stood there talking, but she couldn’t make out the words. After a short conversation they split up; the green-haired one went around the back of the building, the one with the hat ran to one side, and the long haired one ran straight toward the tree Dash was hiding in.

As she entered the forest, Iris decided the best thing to do would be to get to the tallest tree she could find so she could get a bird’s eye view. Luckily, there was one tree that was noticeably taller than the surrounding ones, so Iris quickly ran to the base of it. Rainbow Dash was getting worried now because the strange creature had already found her hiding place and was starting to climb. She looked down and saw that the creature had already climbed up a number of branches and was over halfway to the top of the tree. Rainbow realized that her wings were in too much pain to fly away quickly, and she was so high up that if she tried to fly away slowly she’d be seen in no time, so she instead decided to just try and get higher into the tree. She saw a nearby branch that looked sturdy enough to hold her, so she jumped to it. When she landed, the branch shook a little, so she stood still to make sure the shaking wouldn’t give her away. She cautiously looked back but didn’t see the creature. After giving a quiet sigh of relief, she looked around for another branch.

All of a sudden, she was startled by a strange nasally voice behind her yelling “Axew! Axew!” She quickly turned around and saw the creature, with what looked like a tiny green dragon sticking out of its mane. The dragon was pointing at Rainbow, and it was clear that its call was an alarm telling the bigger creature that it had found her. The bigger creature turned to look at her, having heard the call. Dash quickly backed up to avoid the creature, but forgot she was on a high tree branch. She stepped backward off the branch and fell, just barely opening her wings in time to avoid crashing. As she came in for a shaky landing, she saw the creature coming down the tree after her and heard it calling its comrades. She started to run further into the forest with what little strength she had.

Just as Iris got down from the tree, Ash and Cilan ran up to her. “What’s up?” Ash asked, “Did you find the Pokémon?”

“Of course I did,” Iris responded, “why else would I have called you here?”

Ash rolled his eyes “Okay, well where is it?”

“Look” Clan commented, “there are fresh hoof-prints leading this way. If we follow them we should find the Pokémon.”

“Hoof-prints?” Ash asked, “But if it can fly why would it run away on its hooves?”

“Because it’s too weak to fly right now,” Cilan answered, “which means we need to find it fast.” The trio quickly started to follow the tracks through the forest.

Rainbow ran frantically, occasionally trying to spread her wings, but each time finding herself unable to. She heard rapid footsteps behind her, which made her realize the creatures were right on her trail. Panting, she ran as fast as she could until she tripped over a rock and went tumbling into a small clearing among the trees. She struggled to her hooves, but as she did she heard the creatures very close.

Ash and his friends followed the hoof-prints through the forest as fast as they could. After a few minutes, Pikachu’s ears perked up, and it pointed forward with a call “Pika!”

“What is it Pikachu?” Ash asked, “Do you hear something?”

Iris spoke up “Wait a minute, I hear something too.”

Cilan quickly pitched in “It sounds like footsteps! We must be gaining on the Pokémon!”

“Look!” Ash yelled, “There it is!” He pointed a little further into the forest, where the blue Pokemon was currently running. The Pokémon suddenly seemed to trip over something and fell forward. “Look, it tripped,” Ash said excitedly, “now’s our chance to catch up with it.”

Rainbow realized the creatures were gaining on her, so she decided to stop running and start fighting. She gritted her teeth in both pain and anger as she turned back to face the creatures as they exited the forest. She got into a pouncing position as she watched the trees and waited for the moment to strike. Soon, the creature with the hat emerged from between the trees, and Rainbow pounced right at it. It yelled in surprise and jumped out of the way. Rainbow landed in front of it and glared as the yellow rodent jumped down to the ground. She looked at the yellow rodent and was surprised to see what looked like sparks of electricity coming from its cheeks. She backed up a bit, not sure what was going on, but soon heard the other creatures emerging from the forest into the clearing. She gritted her teeth in anger and jumped at the closest target, the yellow rodent. The rodent jumped to the side to dodge her, but she managed to skid to a halt and turn back to face it.

Despite the pain in her wings, she managed to spread her wings and fly toward the rodent, but it dodged again while yelling “Pika!” Rainbow didn’t have a clue what that word meant, but she didn’t care; all that mattered was showing these creatures they couldn’t mess with her. She furiously charged at the rodent, but it jumped into the air and, suddenly, its body became cloaked in electricity. Rainbow gasped as the rodent suddenly shot a bolt of lightning at her. The lightning struck her right in the back, and she screamed in pain before collapsing onto her side. The creatures began to advance on her, even as she struggled to get to her hooves. “S-stay back,” she muttered, “I’m warning you.”

Ash and his friends stopped approaching and gasped in unison. They stood wide-eyed for a moment before Ash spoke up. “You can talk?!?”

Rainbow was startled by this question, but soon responded “Wait, YOU can talk?!?”

Ash, Iris, and Cilan shared a confused glance before Ash replied “Of course I can talk, I’m a human. You’re the Pokémon here, you’re the one who’s not supposed to know how to talk.”

Rainbow glared at him “What the hay is a Pokémon? It’s pronounced pony, and what do you mean I’m not supposed to know how to talk?”

Ash answered her “Well, it’s just that most Pokémon only say their own names, very few can actually talk.”

Dash cringed in pain as she responded “And as I just said I’m not a Pokémon. What’s a Pokémon anyway?”

Pikachu walked up to Rainbow’s face and tilted his head in confusion “Pika?”

“W-What's that supposed to mean?” Dash groaned.

“I don’t know,” Ash shrugged, “as I said, Pokémon usually can’t say anything but their own name, and since Pikachu is a Pokémon that means he can only say his own name too.”

“So, I guess that means this thing is Pikachu?” Rainbow grumbled. “How could you mistake me for one of these? I look nothing like it.”

“Not all Pokémon look like Pikachu,” Ash replied, “they come in every shape and size.”

“Well, that’s nice and all,” Rainbow muttered as she staggered to her hooves “but I’m not about to stick around and be called a Pokémon.” She struggled to take a step but fell over onto her front knee. Iris quickly ran up to her and held onto her to stop her from falling over. Rainbow cringed in pain but tried to shrug Iris off “Let go, I-I’m fine.”

“No, you’re not,” Iris argued, “you’re hurt, and you need medical attention. That’s why we were chasing you. We’re trying to take you to the Pokémon center, because that’s where people take injured Pokémon for medical help.”

Rainbow was still angry, but decided she was in too much pain to get away, so all she could do now was hope these ’human’ things were telling the truth and not trying to lure her into a trap. “Fine,” she sighed, “I’ll go to the Pokémon place, but only because I’m too injured to fly.”

Ash smiled “Good, so I guess we can head back now. Need any help, uh?…”

“My name is Rainbow Dash,” Rainbow groaned, “and I don’t need any help.” However, as soon as she tried to take another step, she collapsed from the pain in her leg. She muttered “Fine, some help would be nice.”

Iris gently picked Rainbow up “There you go. Don’t worry, we’ll make sure you’re up and flying again by tomorrow morning.” The group turned back in the direction of the Pokémon center and started walking, Iris trailing behind the others a little due to having to carry Rainbow. After a little while, they emerged from the forest and walked up to the door to the Pokémon center. Rainbow scanned the building intently, taking in every detail just in case it turned out she was going to need to flee in a hurry.

Nurse Joy saw the group enter and was delighted to see Iris carrying the runaway Pokémon with her. She called into the other room “Audino, we need the stretcher again.” The door opened and a duo of Audinos rolled the stretcher out into the lobby.

Iris gently set Rainbow Dash on the stretcher and petted her mane “Don’t worry Rainbow Dash, these Pokémon are here to help you.”

Rainbow turned to face Iris and narrowed her eyes “Thanks, but do you have to treat me like a pet?”

Nurse Joy gasped “Oh my, it talks.”

Rainbow rolled her eyes “Oh boy, we get to have this discussion again.”

“Sorry, Rainbow Dash,” Ash told her. He turned to Nurse Joy and explained “she claims she’s not a Pokémon, and that she doesn’t understand what humans and Pokémon are. I don’t get it, but she really seems like she doesn’t know what a Pokémon is.”

“Really?” Nurse Joy asked, “Well, she’s certainly not a human, so what is she?”

“I’m a pony” Rainbow mumbled weakly. She then closed her eyes and fell asleep, the excitement of the day having taken its toll.

Nurse Joy smiled down at Rainbow Dash, then turned to Ash and his friends. “Don’t worry, she’ll be all better in no time.” With that, she and the Audinos rolled the stretcher behind the counter and out of the lobby.

Author's Note:

The teams used by Ash and his friends in this fic will be the same as they were at the current point in the Japanese dub when this fic first started being written.
Iris: Axew, Excadrill, Emolga, Dragonite
Cilan: Pansage, Crustle, Stunfisk
Ash: Pikachu, Charizard, and a random assortment of four from this list: Oshawott, Unfezant, Pignite, Snivy, Scraggy, Leavanny, Boldore, Palpitoad, Krookodile.