• Published 20th Mar 2013
  • 12,914 Views, 886 Comments

Gotta Dash 'em All - Rainbow Dash the Awesome

  • ...
40
 886
 12,914

Prologue: Rainbow's new stunt

BOOM! BOOM! BOOM!

In the skies above Ponyville, the silence of the morning was cut short by an explosion of sound and a rippling wave of all the colors of the rainbow. Ponies all rushed out of their homes to see what was going on, but it didn’t take them long to find the source of the sound. Flying across the sky at the head of a rainbow-colored contrail was Rainbow Dash. As she flew over the town, she doubled-back and flew upward again, getting ready for yet another Sonic Rainboom.

Below, woken from her slumber by the sudden noise, Twilight Sparkle walked groggily to her window. When she saw her friend in flight, she narrowed her eyes and sighed “Oh come on, it’s too early for this.” She opened her window, spread her wings, and took to the air in the direction of Rainbow Dash. She flapped her wings as fast as she could, but Rainbow was too fast for her to catch up with. She called out to Rainbow, but Rainbow was flying too fast to hear her.

As Rainbow Dash continued her routine, she began to hear a faint noise. She slowed down a bit so she could make out what it was, and soon she realized it was a voice calling out to her. Once she figured out that somepony was trying to get her attention, she slowed to a stop and turned to look for the source of the voice. Soon, an exhausted Twilight Sparkle flew out from behind a nearby cloud, gasping for breath. “Hey Twilight,” Rainbow called, “were you just calling me?”

Panting, Twilight flew up to Rainbow and responded “Yeah, that was me. What are you doing, Rainbow Dash?”

“What’s it look like? I’m practicing some new tricks” Rainbow responded.

Twilight raised her eyebrow and asked “What kind of tricks? Just looks like a bunch of Sonic Rainbooms to me.”

“Exactly,” Rainbow said with a grin, “I’m trying to push my speed even further. I’ve already broken the sound barrier, so now I’m going to see what the next speed barrier is!”

Twilight sighed “Rainbow Dash, the only barrier, for you to pass now, is the light barrier, which is physically impossible for anypony or anything to reach. No matter how fast you fly, you won’t be able to break the light barrier.”

Rainbow shrugged “Maybe that’s true for the average run of the mill pony, but I’m no average flier. With a bit of a boost, I should easily be able to break even the light barrier.”

“Rainbow,” Twilight replied, “I’m telling you it’s against the laws of physics.”

“So is magic, right Twilight?” Rainbow asked. Suddenly, her face lit up as she came up with an idea. “Say, maybe that’s it. Maybe your magic can give me the extra boost I need.”

“What are you talking about, Rainbow?” Twilight asked, “what kind of a boost?”

“Well,” Rainbow responded “maybe you could enchant my wings for extra endurance, or blast me with a magic pulse to push me forward.”

Twilight was taken aback by this idea. “But Rainbow, that would be extremely dangerous.”

Rainbow grinned confidently “Oh come on Twilight, when have I ever been worried about anything being too dangerous?”

“Well, you have a point” Twilight responded, but quickly shook her head “wait, no, I can’t believe I’m even considering this.”

“What’s the big deal Twilight?” Rainbow asked, “what’s the worst that can happen?”

“I don’t know,” Twilight said, “nopony knows what happens if you try to break the speed of light, and theories range from inter-dimensional travel to time travel.”

Rainbow suddenly put on a sly grin “In that case,” she said, “ wouldn't you like to be the one to find out? It would be a great experiment, wouldn't it?”

Twilight’s eyes widened at this idea “Say, now that you mention it, that would be an interesting experiment.”

“Then what are you waiting for?” Rainbow asked, getting into position to take off, “let’s get this show on the road.”

Twilight gulped, “Um, okay Rainbow, I guess it wouldn't hurt to try.” As she said this, her horn began to glow.

Rainbow grinned “That's the spirit Twilight!” She took off flying straight upward. “WOOHOO! This is gonna be awesome!” She flew up above the highest layer of clouds before she arched downward, building her speed until another sonic cone began to form around her. “Just a little more” soon, the sky was lit up with another massive explosion as Rainbow rocketed downward from the Rainboom. As she flew past Twilight, Twilight aimed her horn at Rainbow and fired a pulse of magenta magic at her. Because of Rainbow’s speed, the magic pulse took a few seconds to catch up with her, but as soon as it hit her the change was undeniable. The rainbow contrail behind Rainbow took on a new magenta hue and Rainbow rapidly sped up. As she neared the ground, she grinned and did a perfect downward U-turn, heading back upward.

Twilight watched in awe at Rainbow’s new level of speed “Nice work Rainbow” she cheered, despite being fully aware that Rainbow couldn't hear her while flying at such high speed. Soon, Rainbow was almost all the way back up to where she had started, and she arched downward again for even more speed. Twilight clapped in excitement but suddenly jumped back as Rainbow was engulfed in a bright flash of light. As the light faded, Twilight slowly opened her eyes, squinting to see what had happened. When she stopped seeing spots, she looked to the spot where Rainbow had just been, and she was alarmed to see that the end of the rainbow contrail was suddenly cut off at the last spot Rainbow had been before the light. “Rainbow?!?” Twilight called in a panic, "where’d you go?!?”


As Rainbow continued to build speed from the magic pulse, everything around her began to look like it was standing still. She was astonished at how easily she was able to handle this speed as she flew back up to the point where she had first taken off. She did a downward turn for speed, getting increasingly excited at the idea of breaking the ultimate speed challenge. Suddenly, she felt as if she had been struck by lightning as she was surrounded by a blinding white light. She continued to fly with her eyes closed, and finally managed to pry her eyes open. When she could finally see again she looked around and was amazed at what she saw. She was flying in the middle of a large tunnel of light with bolts of lightning running along the walls. She looked around, astonished by the alien sights, until suddenly she saw a light at the end of the tunnel. “Finally,” she said, “a way out of here.” She sped up until she reached the light and flew out of the tunnel, only to see a large wall of orange directly in her path.

Author's Note:

I would like to make it clear that Rainbow did not actually break the light barrier. She punched a hole between dimensions but didn't actually reach the speed of light in order to do so.