• Published 20th Mar 2013
  • 1,416 Views, 15 Comments

What's Missing? - Liaf112

  • ...
8
 15
 1,416

Chapter 1

The portals to Equestria opened about six years ago. I was actually in High school at the time. It's actually kinda funny. Everyone was freaking out about it. But I kept thinking 'sentient ponies? How bad could it be?'

Although I don't need to talk about that.

I walked off of the buss with my bags and my stick. I walked up to the nearest being that could speak English. I tapped them on what I assume was a shoulder.

"Hey, pal quit poking my head!" Says the what I am now assuming is an earth pony due to the height.

"Sorry about that, I just need to be pointed in the direction of the gates to the portal." I say to whoever it is.

"Well friend you seem kinda stupid. Can't you see you are at it?"

I contorted my face into one of annoyance. "Well miss no I am not stupid you obviously haven’t met any blind humans before but, that's alright you didn't know so all is forgiven. For future reference if a human shows up with blacked out glasses and a walking stick they are either really weird or they can not see."

After I said I was blind she gasped and apologized a lot. She then asked me for my papers and I pulled them out of the outside pocket of my backpack. She shuffled them around and then handed.....hoofed? I don’t know. She gave them back to me.

She then pressed a button with a beep sound and the gates open to my right. I head towards the sound. I secure the lanyard that is attached to my walking stick around my wrist.

I can tell that I went through the portal because my hair all over my body stood on end and my whole body was tingling. When I got all the way to the other side the tingling stopped.

"Hay Brandon, how have you been?" Asks a voice that I recognize as my friend Cloud Smasher.

"Hey Cloud, I've been decent enough. I wish you could have come and visited me in the hospital. (Damn racist hospital. Never using them again)." I said whispering to him at the end.

"Ya its a darn shame when you cant see your best friend in the hospital because they have rules against allowing ponies in. Hopefully you don’t have to go to the hospital again soon. You seriously need a less dangerous job!" He said to me.

I smirked at that. "If I just followed my own rules. I wouldn't be messed up in the first place. Besides who else is crazy enough to study Terran birds close up?" I then flinched remembering the last study I was doing.

My friend noticed me flinch because he quickly changed the subject. We talked for a few more minutes about what was going on recently. The Griffin nation has been more friendly and has even started talking with the human government about having multi-species sports.

After a while he walked me to my hotel. We said our goodbyes and I climbed into bed. I pulled out my phone and activated the voice feature.

"Dani set alarm for 7:00am." I said to the phone.

"/Did you say set alarm for 7:00am?\"

"Yes." I spoke clearly in the direction of the phone.

I set my phone down on the night stand and got under the comforter. I soon drifted off to sleep.

/)(\ /)(\ /)(\ /)(\ /)(\ /)(\ /)(\ /)(\ /)(\ /)(\ /)(\ /)(\ /)(\ /)(\ /)(\ /)(\ /)(\ /)(\ /)(\ /)(\ /)(\ /)(\ /)(\ /)(\/)(\ /)(\ /)(\ /)(\ /)(\ /)(\ /)

I woke up to my alarm in a cold sweat breathing hard. It was the same dream that had been haunting me since the incident. It repeated over and over in my head while I'm asleep.

'I'm watching some Eagles. I crash to the ground and all I see is red then nothing.'

I get up and make my way to the bathroom and take a shower. After getting out I get dressed and practiced my lecture. I was asked to lecture about the birds on Terra because most Equestrians still don't know anything about Terran animals.

I cleaned my face. I moved back into the room and put my clothes on. My shirt felt kinda funny but I didn’t pay it any mind. I grabbed my glasses, phone and my walking stick and left out the room and made my way to the main desk.

I told the desk clerk that I would be back later and left. I already knew the way to the local college lecture hall. When I walked in I heard some giggling. I just kept going I missed the podium with my stick and walked right into it. After I righted myself I got up to the podium.

"Ahem, hello to all of you who came here today. I am here today to talk to you all about the birds of Terra. If any of you have a question just say 'Professor Cadaret' because I can not see. Now any questions before I begin?" I say into the darkness.

"Um...Professor Cadaret? w-what do you mean you can't see?" Says a gentle female voice.

"Ah, there is the question I was hoping one of you would ask. I am blind." this got many gasps. "You see my dedication to the birds had some......complications. There was an accident during my time observing the American Bald Eagle. All I remember was watching them then losing sight of one for a minute. Then I was on the ground with one on top of me. After that all I saw was red for a few weeks. Now all I see is darkness."

I heard a few murmured words.

"And that everyone is why I walked directly into the podium." I say as I pat the podium and laugh a bit.

"Professor Cadaret your shirt is backwards" says a kind of cocky female voice.

There were some giggles and a few who started full on laughing.
I fixed my shirt.

"Alright now that none of you are feeling bad for me lets get on with my lecture."

My lecture went on for a few hours. I had finally started getting real questions half way through other than 'what is it like being blind' and things like that. After I was done they all left and I just made my way outside.

I located someone or....somepony and asked directions to a restaurant. He gave me directions to.....one of the 'Hungry Griffin' restaurants. I headed to the restaurant and heard some loud music and raised voices from inside. As soon as I approached the door I was knocked over by a large furry body. It just sat on my chest.

"OH YEAH, WELL I WOULDN'T WANT TO EAT IN YOUR CRAPPY RESTAURANT ANY WAY!" Says an Angry female......something.

"AHEM, excuse me miss but you mind, oh, I don’t know, GETTING THE HELL OFF OF ME!" As soon as I say this she flinches but doesn’t do anything other than turn around on my chest and I’m assuming looking at me.

"Oh shit....um how long have I been sitting on you dude?"

"Since you got thrown out the restaurant, now! would mind getting off me and helping me up?"

She does what I ask and I start brushing myself off but then I freeze. She didn't have a hoof it was more like a claw or.......talon.

"Excuse me miss but what are you?"

"Duh, I'm a griffin."

"Sweet, I haven’t met any griffins yet. My names Brandon. What’s yours?" I said sticking my hand out in front of me.

"Names Gilda." She says shaking my hand. "So what’s up with the shades, the cane and the fancy clothes, are you some kinda human pimp?"

I was shocked at first but then I burst out laughing, so did she. We continued laughing for a few minutes until I finally composed myself enough to speak.

"Woo, I haven’t laughed like that in over a year. No I'm not a pimp, hehe. I'm a college professor and I'm blind."

"Oh, why haven't you laughed in a while? College professor eh.....sounds kinda like a pansy job. Also how did you go blind?" She said seeming just as courious about me as I was of her.

I gave a sad chuckle. "First things first why did you get tossed out of the Restaurant?"

I heard something like scratching and a sound of gurgling.

"Well, I kinda forgot my money at home so they tossed me out before I got to eat."

"Alright come with me I'll pay for your meal and we can hang out and talk some more."

"Sweet, hay you're alright." She says to me.

"And you seem cool enough c'mon lets go." I said

We headed to the door and went in.

Author's Note:

This is part the first chapter of one of my new fics.