• Published 27th Mar 2013
  • 10,678 Views, 467 Comments

Frie-n-emy - Guy Balkur



A surviving Spartan from reach and a Sangheili Hereitic are transported to Equstria after overloading the slip space drive on a covenant Super Carrier

  • ...
43
 467
 10,678

Bonus chp 1: Scanning

//Aboard the Genesis//
//Captain's deck 027//
//2.2 hours after slip space rupture.



"Scan complete."

"Do it again."

"Sir..."

"I said, AGAIN."

"Scanning.........." A flicker of light switches on a nearby pedestal. Culverton has his monocle placed over his left eye with a disapproving frown on his holographic face.

"There's nothing left....James. Only partial debris from the Carrier." He puffed silently on his pipe.

"There has to be some sign of them." James walked back to his chair before sighing deeply. "Some sign that they..."

"I understand sir. You were very attached to them were you not?" Culverton raised his hand over a now visual Victorian aged style chair. He sat slowly next to his captain as they both looked over the mass destruction of the now ripped apart Redemption.

"Yes, they are...." James pushed forward and placed his metal hand over his face before admitting it to himself. "They were.......my best men."

"I know. You were there when Lieutenant Jason was K.I.A on mission point delta. ODST pod malfunction as I recall." Culverton paused to let out a fake puff of smoke from his non existent pipe. "You fought through five battalions of rebels, just to get to his scattered pod."

"His pod had nothing inside, barely recall that it actually resembled anything to a drop-pod."

"But you did find something to give back to his son, Daniel." Culverton folded his legs as he awaited James to finish.

"Yeah....His wedding ring. Used to call him a dumb S.O.B for keeping it in his emergency compartment. But I guess he proved me wrong, huh?"

"How's his widow by the way?"

"Not too thrilled about the news of her son." James said while rubbing his fore head with his live hand. "She's helping refugees at a medical clinic, back on earth. Daniel's sister Kelly, is now a sergeant of own platoon of ODSTs."

"That's great to hear." Culverton grabbed his pipe and turned it into a fancy tea cup. He sipped on the edge and smacked his lips. "Not a bad cup of Jasmine. Jorge was right, it does taste better when you leave out the sugar." He looked over to James who kept looking out at the traveling debris.

"Sam was quiet the chap wasn't he?" Culverton asked, making James shake his head.

"Yeah, poor bastard blames himself after what happened to Shell-shock."

"He was new to the position of leadership."

"He had no choice, he was next in rank after their commanding officer was killed by a neediler chain."

"His first set of orders carried well, until it led them straight into an ambush."

James looked over to Culverton who now placed his cup on a small plate.

"He manged to get everyone to safety afterwards. Shelly was the only casualty." His metal fingers pushed a rectangular red button on his arm rest. In front of them was presented a holographic image of a yellow plated Spartan.

"Ah, Spartan 027. What an unusual wanker." Culverton moved the file upwards to display his blacked out record. The small black bars began to fade, until the files presented what made him such an oddity.

"Sent to to Halsey's department for...'Special' enhancements. As well as Spartans 028, 023, and 034. Natalie, Chad, and Rex." Culverton listed. James said nothing as the AI continued to read the restricted files out load.

"He was able to construct and rebuild machinery ten times faster than any other Spartan. When He first learned to use covenant weapons, he mastered each one by analyzing the form and design before picking each one up. He could hit a target in the cranium over two hundred meters, with a plasma pistol." He shifted the display even further down. "But his mental state showed an increase of disagreements towards his superiors. Disobeyed orders to save his squad on Harvest, after completing his mission. Spent an awful time with the engineers and scientists aboard every vessel he was stationed on."

"Yeah, unusual was an understatement." James sat up and deactivated the display. "There are somethings, not even those records have that I knew about him." He walked closer to the window, his reflection barely visible. "I felt like he understood what was asked of him, yet he didn't let it change who he was. He was made to die, but he proved them wrong, with each and every suicide mission he was given. He never gave up, he never quite on me or anybody he cared for" James closed his eyes as he came face to face with grief of one of his now, dead friends. "I remember when we first met."

"When you and Keys were about to be killed on Arcadia?"

"Yeah, great times. Kid was probably only sixteen when he and his squad killed that entire force of covie bastards. Lost my arm and leg in the process after I pushed Keys from a plasma grenade explosion."

"Yes, I remember the files. Though, why didn't you get a synthetic eye transplant again?"

James chuckled lightly. "You know why...."

"So you could honestly have an excuses to call yourself a pirate." The AI shook his head at the ridiculous reasoning.

"Forgive me but that is purely......Shit."

"Yeah." James continued to stare at the mutilated covenant ship. "How is Cortana by the way?"

The AI tapped his pointing chin before responding.

"Same old same old. Can't get any form of communication from the Pillar of Autumn though."

"She is quite unique, isn't she?" James said with a small grin.

"Well, yes. Even though she is connected to Spartan 117, I still find her quick wits and charm quite fascinating."

"How come you never assigned yourself to....Oh yeah."

"Please don't bring that up again." Culverton begged.

"Alan's little emotion enhancements to your AI core bothering you again?" James teased.

"Ugh.....How he ever understood how to tamper with AI's is probably the reason he was sent to Halsey in the first place."

"That, and a few other things."

"Scan, complete." Culverton announced. "Would you like me to scan again?"

The Captain stroked his mustache very carefully, weighing the decisions before him. Culverton stood up and pretended to stretch his arms while faking a yawn. "If you'd like me to.."

"No.....no.....There's nothing left here. They're gone." James walked away from the sight of the clustered debris. His mind now focused on his priorities.

"Yes sir." Culverton began to pull up the files of each solider. One by one he labeled K.I.A, until he reached Alan. The AI hesitated before labeling his status as M.I.A.

"What about that Elite heretic? Mahek'bathou'mussee? Hope I'm saying that right."

"What about him? Were you able to pin point the location of their station?"

"Yes, but..."

"But....."

"But they seem to be located within deep Covenant territory. And I mean DEEP." The AI showed the image of a large Covenant fleet. Completely blocking off the Heretics location. It took the Captain two seconds before he shook his head.

"NOPE. We just barely faced off one super carrier. There is no way we can have our stealth systems last us long enough to get to them and extract them."

"Understood. Still, it would make some interesting notes when we get to earth." Culverton mentioned as he pulled the file back into his blue hand.

"Sure. I don't really know the details of what happened on that ship, but it wasn't enough for us to blindly follow into Covenant territory. Hoping to find allies." He scratched his rough white hair before adjusting his eye patch. "Would've been nice though, to have some support."

"I too would've liked to further know more about this Elite." Culverton said in a disappointed tone. "One of the few to actually communicate with us. What I found out about him was that he is really high in the Covenant ranks. Their religion is rather predictable. Die with honor for the blessed path. Something big must have happened to someone like him to change his views of the war so suddenly."

"Perhaps." James said solemnly. Thinking of possibilities. Culverton looked back at the captain and chuckled.

" Another thought, for another time. I've informed the admirals back on earth of our situation. And the report made it through as well."

"The one about the enhanced soldiers procedure that Bart wanted to test on civilians?" James asked, with his left white eyebrow raised.

"Admiral Bart, will be given quite the welcome party." Culverton chuckled.

"Glad to hear it."

"I still stand by what I said."

"And what was that? Because you've said a lot of shit in the past."

Culverton smiled cheekily as the Captain walked to the chair.

"He wasn't just a Spartan. He was something even more. They all were."

James looked to the ground, regret hitting him in the gut rather hard.

"It's hard to imagine that he's finally gone." he sighed before walking out the sliding door.

Culverton lingered a bit before dispersing into a thin blue mist. He left one last remark inside the room before leaving.

"Were it so easy." He mumbled.

Author's Note:

Here's a short little thingy thing. Ummmmmm..............If I were to kill somebody at my work, not only would I wear there skin and travel to their house and freak the fuck out of their loved ones. I would also put their expensive organs up for sale to China, use there other useless body parts into the food we make. While watching my other co workers eat it while being bonded and force fed all the shit they made me make for them over the past half year with an honest to GOD smile carved on my fucking face.

What I'm getting at is you shouldn't get into professional food business unless you like dealing with jerk-offs.