• Published 9th Dec 2012
  • 6,466 Views, 382 Comments

Succession - Helrael



Twilight awakens in a world beset by eternal night, caused by the death of Princess Celestia and Luna and the destruction of the Canterlot palace. Can Twilight bring back the sun, save Equestria, and bring history's most vicious murderer to just

  • ...
23
 382
 6,466

5 - Growing

Succession

Chapter 5 – Growing


Twilight groaned. Her broken legs pained her greatly, but considering the circumstances, she supposed it could be worse. After all, she could be dead. She should be dead. She considered that for a moment, but eventually decided that being alive was definitely preferable despite the pains.

She opened her eyes. She was inside the hospital, lying in a comfortable bed. Again. Instead of hanging from a sling, her right foreleg was now held in a plaster cast like the one on her hind leg. She had broken two additional ribs, adding to the pain she felt in her chest, and she had once again been wrapped up in bandages to help treat her skin.

“Twi! You’re awake!” the unicorn heard a relieved Rainbow Dash sigh. Twilight looked to her right and saw the pegasus getting up from a chair near the window. The unicorn gave her a faint smile, but instead of smiling back, Rainbow Dash suddenly scowled at her. As soon as she had gotten near Twilight, the unicorn received a somewhat sharp tap on her horn.

“Hey!” the unicorn cried out with indignation. “What was that for!?”

“You tell me!” the pegasus exclaimed angrily, gesturing at Twilight’s bandage-wrapped body. “What the hay did you do to mess yourself up like that!?” She stomped the floor hard. “Why can’t I leave you alone for five minutes without you doing something stupid?”

Twilight opened her mouth to answer, but the pegasus wasn’t done. “You told me you could take care of yourself! You were just sitting in front of the memorial! Then you wheeled over to the palace and the next thing I know, you’re unconscious and bleeding all over the place! What in Equestria happened!?”

Rainbow Dash quieted down, although it was still clear she was furious, waiting impatiently for an explanation.

“I, uh,” Twilight said nervously, knowing that the truth would do nothing to calm her friend. “I… I think I jumped off a tower.”

A long silence followed the unicorn’s confession.

“This would be the part where you tell me you’re joking,” Rainbow Dash finally pointed out, a skeptical look in her eyes. Twilight, however, said nothing. “You jumped off a tower?” she remarked dubiously, but skepticism was soon replaced by rage. “You jumped off a tower!? Are you insane!?”

“Miss Dash, please!” a nurse in the doorway pleaded to the Wonderbolt. “There are patients trying to sleep!”

“They’re always sleeping!” the pegasus countered almost venomously. She took a few deep breaths to calm herself. “Sorry,” she said to the nurse. She then turned to the unicorn in bed. “I’m gonna go outside, blow off some steam. I’ll get the ones who’re still here. You’d better have a good explanation ready for us by the time I get back!”

Avoiding the nurse, Rainbow Dash opted for the window instead, opening it and leaping gracefully through the narrow opening before taking flight. Twilight noted that the glass had been replaced, and most of the black stains on the walls had been concealed.

How long have I been sleeping this time?

Before she could think of asking anypony, however, the nurse left and she was alone in the hospital room. She wondered briefly where Amber Vane was. Most likely, he was in the middle of one of his exercises.

Right, she thought. My explanation.

The unicorn began wincing merely at the thought of her fall from the tower.

I went back in time and I found the murderer, who turned out to be Nightmare Moon. She chased me through the palace and blew everything to pieces while doing so. We climbed a tower… and then I fell more than three hundred feet to my death. Yeah… At least it’s more believable than surviving the explosion that ripped apart the Canterlot palace…

After less than half an hour, the pegasus re-entered Twilight’s room, closely followed by Rarity and Pinkie Pie.

“Where are the others?” the unicorn inquired as Rarity shut the door behind the pink pony.

The fashionista opened her mouth to speak, but Rainbow Dash cut her off. “Hang on! We’re gonna ask the questions here!”

Twilight rolled her eyes. “Alright! Alright! Where do you want me to start?”

“Where did you go after Rainbow flew off?” Rarity asked worriedly, giving the pegasus a brief icy stare.

“I was gone for two minutes!” the Wonderbolt defended herself. “It’s not my fault she suddenly decided to mess herself up with a weird spell!”

“My spells haven’t backfired in a long time...” the injured unicorn insisted weakly.

“What happened?” Pinkie Pie pressed growing more impatient by the second. “Tell us, tell us, tell us!”

“I sat in front of the memorial for a while,” the unicorn explained. “I’m not sure for how long, as I might have fallen asleep. Then I… got an idea.”

“Here we go…” Rainbow Dash muttered, rolling her eyes. A quick jab to her side from Rarity silenced the pegasus. “I don’t think you were sleeping, though,” she added in a more helpful tone.

“I wanted to know who killed them,” Twilight explained. “So I figured I’d travel back in time to… see what happened.”

The pegasus opened her mouth again, but a white hoof silenced any interjections the rainbow maned mare may have had. “Go on,” Rarity encouraged her friend.

“I went to the palace… and I used my time spell. I arrived at a moment which must have been a few minutes before The Great Tragedy. There were two guards positioned in front of the palace, but they were both asleep, and I couldn’t do anything to wake them. It looked almost like they were having a nightmare.”

“You were pretty much the same way,” the pegasus said. “Except your front leg looked pretty... grotesque...” Rainbow Dash eyed the cast with something bordering on revulsion.

“Stop staring, Rainbow,” Rarity sighed. “It’s rude.”

“But her bone was sticking...”

“Realizing I could do nothing for the guards,” Twilight interjected loudly, cutting off whatever the pegasus had had to say. “I decided to head into the palace. Inside was another sleeping pony and I saw something that looked like a black hoof disappearing down a hallway at the far end of the room. I tried calling out to her, but there was no answer…”

“Hang on,” Rainbow Dash said, raising a hoof. “You called out to her? The one who killed Celestia and Luna and blew up the Canterlot palace? The one who could, and would, most likely kill you without a second thought?”

“The whole purpose of me going back in time was to see the murderer,” the bedridden unicorn pointed out. “I was afraid she would make it to Celestia before I did.”

“Right, that’s what you were afraid of,” Rainbow Dash remarked, but was fixed by an icy stare from the fashionista. “Hey! Just sayin’.”

“I have another question, if you don’t mind,” Rarity carried on after making sure the pegasus was done. “You said the murderer was a she?”

“I’ll get to that later,” Twilight promised. “I went as fast as I could into the east wing of the palace and met a royal guard. As he began following me, we heard... we heard Luna.” The unicorn shuddered. “She was screaming, and I heard walls breaking apart, but I guess it was too muffled to wake anypony up. A few minutes later, we arrived at the study. And that’s when the murderer found us… She had snuck up on me while I was approaching the study. She... she killed the guard. He just burst into flames and disappeared.”

“Oh my...” was Rarity’s only reply as a brief silence settled on the four ponies.

“Next thing I know, she throws me into a wall and I black out.”

“But who was it?” Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie demanded desperately.

“Nightmare Moon,” the unicorn answered promptly, and everypony gasped. “When I came to, she was walking towards me, boasting about her power and the fact that she would kill Celestia.”

“She didn’t reveal any motive or reasoning for what she was about to do?” the white unicorn asked, and Twilight shook her head.

“None!” she exclaimed irritably. “I tried getting answers from her, but she ended up chasing me through the palace. She kept shooting these magical blasts after me, tearing down the palace as I ran.” The unicorn shook her head. “I don’t know why nopony noticed. Perhaps she’d put the whole palace to sleep.” She sighed. “We ended up at the top of a tall tower. Nightmare Moon must have just been toying with me the whole time.” Tears began running down Twilight’s face. “I had nowhere to run. I had no way of fighting her.”

“And that’s when you…” Rainbow muttered, realization dawning on her face.

“Yes. I threw myself out one of the windows.”

“Whaaaat!?” Pinkie Pie exclaimed in a drawn-out, shocked gasp.

“Just how far did you fall?” the white unicorn demanded.

“Three hundred feet, I think.”

“Three hundred!?” Rainbow Dash exclaimed incredulously. “That… that doesn’t make any sense. Take it from a stuntpony, Twi; you don’t survive something like that.”

“I’ve had worse…” the lavender unicorn pointed out.

“Even so,” Rarity murmured. “It does seem a bit farfetched, does it not? You would have thought everypony in the entire castle would have been awakened by that racket. It certainly does not seem like Celestia, failing to notice the palace being invaded by Nightmare Moon like that.”

“I only know what I saw,” Twilight said. “As far as I can remember, the past me didn’t see or hear anything out of the ordinary until Nightmare Moon stood right in front of us. I’m not sure how much sense it makes, but Celestia might have cast some muffling spell on her study. She wanted to talk to me in private.”

“Perhaps you’re right,” the white unicorn admitted. She shook her head. “Oh, what am I saying? You always seem to be right about these things, Twilight.”

“Usually,” the rainbow-maned pegasus allowed. “But it makes sense what with the eternal night and all. It’s a much better explanation than Rarity’s at least.” The white unicorn gave the pegasus a dirty look, but Rainbow Dash ignored her. “And I guess Nightmare Moon is the only one who could kill Celestia. I always had the feeling she went easy on us back when we first met.”

“Pinkie?” Twilight asked, looking at the pony who was suddenly looking very sad. “You’re not saying much... Are you alright?”

The pony’s shoulders sagged, and some of her natural exuberance seemed to evaporate. “Why would she do that? Luna’s our friend!”

“I haven’t got a clue,” the unicorn repeated sadly. “But we’ll find out.”

Pinkie Pie only sighed heavily. “I wanna go home.”

“You told us you wanted to stay, dear,” Rarity pointed out. “You went with neither Fluttershy nor Applejack when they left for Ponyville.”

“Well, I couldn’t just leave Twi like this, could I?” she defended herself stubbornly. “But now she’s all better, right? And we can go home?”

“Sorry Pinkie…” Rainbow Dash said with a pained look on her face. “But, y’know, she’s pretty messed up right now.”

“While Twilight is recovering at an amazing speed, the doctor says it will be a few months before she can walk,” Rarity elaborated to the party pony.

Pinkie Pie was quiet for a while, seemingly debating something within herself. “Fine,” she sighed as she headed for the door. “I guess I’ll just throw a party here, then.”

“You don’t have to…” Twilight’s words were cut off as the door slammed shut. “…if you don’t want to…” She looked at her two friends with worry. “Last I saw her... I don’t know, she was Pinkie Pie; she might have been one of the only ponies smiling at the funeral. What happened?”

“Well, we have all been worrying about you,” Rarity explained. “For a long time, we thought you were dying. And just as with Celestia, Pinkie Pie took it worst of all.”

“A long time?” Twilight frowned, although it was hard to see through her bandages. She sighed as the inevitable question returned. “How long was I unconscious?”

“Oh jeez!” Rainbow Dash exclaimed. “We forgot to tell you, didn’t we?”

“What do you mean ‘we’?” Rarity huffed. “I assumed you told her when she woke up.”

“No, I hit her on the horn for almost getting herself killed and going into a coma and then I went and got you guys.”

“A coma..?”

“You hit her on the horn!?” the alabaster unicorn exclaimed in indignation. “You do not hit a unicorn on the horn, Rainbow! It’s very disrespectful!”

“So is travelling back in time and getting your flank kicked without telling anypony! I swear, I can’t leave that mare alone for five minutes without her doing something stupid!”

“Girls?”

“She had a deeply traumatic experience! And you’re exaggerating.”

“Oh yeah? First off, I let her go to Canterlot alone. We all know how that went!”

“That was hardly her fault,” Rarity stated, but the pegasus continued.

“Six days after The Great Tragedy. I leave her alone with you guys and five, literally, five minutes later she’s prancing about in the streets with two broken legs!”

“She had her reasons…”

“And after the funeral,” Rainbow Dash carried on, determined to drive her point home. “She goes back in time to ‘have a look’ at the murderer that blew up the palace!”

“Girls..?” the unicorn tried again, but to no avail.

“Not only that, but she jumps off the top of a freaking tower!”

“Shut up, Rainbow Dash!” Twilight exclaimed in frustration, finally silencing her two friends. “How long?”

The pegasus sighed uncomfortably. “Well, you know how you say those guards you saw were asleep, tossing about as if they were having a nightmare?” she began, and Twilight nodded. “As I said, you were doing the same thing. I found you sprawled across your wheelchair, jerking around pretty violently. No matter what I did, you just wouldn’t wake up. I brought you to the hospital, and you’ve been sleeping here... sleeping for a whole month.”

“A month!?” Twilight spluttered. “I’ve been sleeping for a month!? How is that even possible!?”

“Impossible seems to describe your situation a lot these days,” Rainbow Dash remarked with a small smile. “Look at the bright side; you’ve been healing up like crazy while you were sleeping. Doctor said it would be only three months until you were well enough to walk if you keep it up.”

“And he added something along the lines of not running around on your broken legs anymore.” Rarity added. “He used quite the… colorful language.”

“Please don’t let me be alone with him,” Twilight whimpered, wincing at the thought of her doctor’s wrath.

“I don’t know…” Rainbow Dash snickered. “I am still pretty ticked at you for going after Nightmare Moon on your own. An angry doctor might just settle the score.” Her smile faded. “Seriously, though, don’t ever do something like that again. You gotta understand you’re not the only one affected by your actions. We can’t lose you, Twi. Not now. Not ever. Don’t go risking your life like you did in the palace.”

“Alright…” Twilight sighed, but the pegasus leaned in over the unicorn.

“Promise me. Pinkie promise. If you ever see Nightmare Moon, don’t go after her on your own. Find us. And if you can’t find us, you leave her alone, okay?”

“Sure,” Twilight said. The pegasus eyed her suspiciously, and the unicorn sighed. She drew a cross over her heart and put her left hoof to her eye. “Pinkie promise.”


It was the dark abyss again. White and black pillars covered the world in its tangle of gray chaos. Redness grew from everywhere, flowing and pulsing with life, and drowning out the former were the odd trees made from rainbows.

The magenta light was there as well. Cascades of sparkles roared through the ether, tearing through all that came in its way. Off in the distance, another monochromatic pillar collapsed, ripping apart vast amounts of redness and rainbows.

No.

Her consciousness reached out to the nearest magenta cascade and grabbed hold of it. The sparkles were almost blisteringly hot, but she maintained her grip. In time, the torrent of magenta slowed, and it moved exactly as she commanded it.

She directed it toward the broken gray pillar, and the bright light enveloped the space in which the pillar and its branches had once been.

Slowly, very slowly, something amid the rushing sparkles began growing. After a long while, the magenta light had replaced what it had taken; where before there had been a gray skeletal mesh, there had been emptiness. Now, however, a purple pillar had taken its place, connecting to the branches that had once joined to the monochromatic tangle.

That which destroyed could also rebuild.


Twilight opened her eyes, feeling surprisingly well rested. She had a hard time remembering the last time she had woken up to anything but immense pain. The lack of it was almost disturbing, like an empty void within her mind. She looked to her left at the empty bed beside her and sighed. Amber Vane had most likely been released while she had been in a coma and had rejoined the Royal Guard. Her room was empty, but she hoped it wouldn’t be long before one of her friends arrived.

She turned her attention toward the stacks of books to her right. She still had a hard time believing her friends had bought her seventy books just like that. She noticed a very faint layer of dust that had gathered on most of the books, and she frowned. It was nearly impossible for her to accept she had been asleep for a month. She supposed that by throwing herself out of the window, she had finally put enough distance between herself and Nightmare Moon for the unicorn to find her connection to the present, warping ahead in time just as she struck the ground. It would explain why she had been injured, but not killed, and the mental shock of the experience could have triggered a coma. Or perhaps she had been struck by the same sleeping spell Nightmare Moon had used on everyone else in the palace.

Dismissing her troubling thoughts of her enemy, Twilight decided to finally make some use of her friends’ gifts. She directed her magic at one of the top books in the pile and the volume was enveloped in her magenta glow. Instead of floating towards her, however, the book launched itself at her face as soon as she tried moving it, smashing into her muzzle with enough force to leave her dazed for a few seconds.

“Ow!” she exclaimed loudly, putting her left hoof to her nose to stem the sudden flow of blood. She tried directing her magic at the book which was now lying on the floor, but ended up flinging it at the ceiling and then the wall with a loud thud. As she tried catching it in midair, the book crumbled in her telekinetic grasp. “What are you doing!?” the unicorn yelled at the mangled book, shaking it violently before dropping it to the floor with an exasperated sigh.

What’s happening!? Why isn’t my magic working!?

Twilight began hyperventilating as she considered the implications. Her body had already been hugely impaired, but she had never worried herself seriously over that fact. The one thing she was dependent upon was her magic. It was her special talent, it was her Element of Harmony, it was practically everything that made her Twilight Sparkle!

This must have been what Rainbow Dash was going through when we talked about the Wonderbolts...

If I can’t control my magic, I can’t use it for anything. If I can’t use magic, then who am I? I’ve already lost my identity as the princesses’ student and protégé. Without my magic, I’ll no longer be one of the most magically adept unicorns in Equestria, I’ll never act as the Element of Magic again. Will I even be able to stop Nightmare Moon? Did she do this to me!?

No! No! I’m not losing my magic!

She pointed her horn at another book, but ended up ripping it in half, creating a small explosion of pages that scattered across the room. Refusing to give up, she tried gently gripping one of the floating pieces of paper, but curled it into a small ball instead. She directed her magic at another page in the far end of the room but set it on fire. Panicking, she summoned a magical wind to blow out the flames. However, the fire was instead spread to nearby pieces of paper, and soon a small inferno was burning near the door. After only a few seconds, the door caught fire as well. The lavender unicorn flinched as alarms somewhere outside her room went off, intent on letting everypony in the hospital know about her magical mishaps.

Doing her best to remain calm, her horn glowed as she decided to use a Cooling spell to quell the blaze. Normally it would only help against the heat of a hot summer afternoon, but the unicorn figured that the way her magic was acting now, it would be enough to put out a fire. There was a quick sizzle and a few sharp cracking sounds, and the inferno was gone, replaced by a thick layer of ice that coated half the room.

I wonder what would happen if I actually tried to break something, she thought morosely to herself.

The light in her horn went out and she lay down against her pillow again, sighing deeply. “It’s not over,” she told herself. “I just need some training. Learn to control my power. Tune everything down. Every single spell I know. That’s all.”

The sound of the blaring alarm outside was suddenly cut off, and a loud knocking on the frozen door caught her attention.

“Twilight?” Rainbow Dash’s extremely muffled voice called. “What’s going on? Why’s the door locked?”

The unicorn was unsure of how to answer that question. “Uhm, it’s kinda… stuck? You’ll need to force it open.”

A few seconds later, the door shook as the pegasus tried to force it open and pieces of ice around the doorframe loosened and shattered. After six attempts, the ice broke apart completely and the door flew open. Rainbow Dash, unable to stop as she entered the room mid-lunge, careened across the ice uncontrollably, coming to a sudden halt as she crashed into Twilight’s bed.

The stuntpony was quick to recover, however, and rose to her hooves with a low groan. She cast her head about, taking in the chaotic scene around her. There were pages scattered everywhere, half the room was covered in ice, the wooden door was badly scorched, and blood was dripping from the unicorn’s nose.

“Okay, I give up,” Rainbow Dash sighed. “What the hay happened?”

Twilight smiled sheepishly. “You left me alone for five minutes.”

The pegasus couldn’t help herself from laughing, and the unicorn joined her.

“You’ll…” The pegasus wiped a tear from her eye. “You’ll have to tell me what happened later. Me and Rarity found two ponies you might want to see.” The pegasus opened a drawer in the nightstand next to Twilight’s bed and pulled out a tissue. After wiping away the blood on the unicorn’s face, she called out to somepony at the door. “Alright, come on in!”

Twilight gasped as a white unicorn mare with a striped lavender and white mane stepped into the room, followed by a blue stallion with a dark blue mane.

“Mom! Dad!” she exclaimed excitedly, and her parents’ worried expressions turned into looks of pure joy.

“Twilie!” her mother, Patina, cried at the sight of her and rushed to her daughter’s side. “You’re finally awake! Oh, we’ve been so worried!”

“How are ya?” Azure Glimmer, her father, asked with concern, eyeing her broken legs and the blood running down her face.

“I’m fine,” Twilight assured the ponies who now embraced her tightly. “Mostly.”

“I’ll just let the staff know that the fire was a false alarm.” Rainbow Dash smiled as she headed for the door. “Think I’ll just leave you guys to it.”

“How did you know I was in Canterlot?” the bedridden unicorn asked her parents as the door closed behind the pegasus.

“We didn’t,” her father answered. “The explosion up here hit us pretty badly. Our living room got hit by a piece of debris from the palace and I suffered a concussion. I was treated in a different hospital... I think?” The father glanced to the white mare while chuckling slightly. Patina nodded her head, and Azure Glimmer continued. “We sent you letters while I was being treated, but you... never returned any of them.”

“We were inspecting the damages on our home when your friend Rarity found us. Oh, I was so afraid something had happened to you!” her mother began crying again, burying her head in Twilight’s mane. “Why are you in the hospital, dear? Rainbow Dash said it’d probably be best if you told us yourself.”

The bandage-wrapped unicorn took a deep, shaky breath. “I was there, mom. The Great Tragedy. I was in the middle of it all.”

“The explosion!?” Azure gasped. “H-how? What happened!?”

“I don’t know!” the injured unicorn cried. “Nopony knows! I was sitting with Celestia in her study and then… then Nightmare Moon came in and killed her! She blew up the palace and killed everypony inside!”

“Nightmare Moon!?” Patina gasped, her words slightly muffled by her daughter’s mane. “I thought Luna died in the explosion!”

“Nopony ever found a body. Besides Celestia, there were no bodies. Everypony was vaporized along with the palace.”

“But you..?”

“I don’t know why I’m still here,” Twilight answered her father, tears still streaming down her face, mingling with the blood from her nose and staining her bandages. Patina summoned a tissue and wiped her daughter’s face. “I broke two legs, my skin was burnt off, I broke my ribs, I got this odd pain in my neck and now my magic is out of control!” The unicorn gestured at her surroundings.

“Reminds me of your entrance exam to Princess Celestia’s school…” Azure Glimmer commented as he took in the icy walls and scattered remains of books.

“You will get better, won’t you?” Patina asked in a worried tone.

“That’s what the doctors keep telling me,” Twilight sobbed. “So at least I got that. I’m healing much faster than anypony anticipated.”

“And you’re feeling alright?” her father pressed. The daughter nodded her head.

“You... you heard about Shining Armor and Cadance already, right?” the bandage-wrapped unicorn asked her parents in a shaky voice.

“Yes!” Patina, who had just extricated her head from her daughter’s mane, almost exploded with grief and buried her head against Twilight’s neck again. Azure Glimmer began crying as well.

“I… I just can’t believe they’re gone,” he muttered. “They were so young, so strong. They were good ponies, but now? We haven’t even a body to bury. Wh-who could find it in their heart to kill hundreds of innocent ponies?”

“A monster,” Twilight replied, her tears giving way to anger. “A monster carrying a thousand years of hate and jealousy in its heart. A monster that believes that all are guilty of hating and despising her. If I ever find Nightmare Moon…” She trailed off.

What? I’ll kill her? Could I really kill the one who used to be Luna, the one who could once again become Luna? Does she deserve to die? Does she deserve to live? No doubt this is why Celestia banished her to the moon in the first place…

The reunited family stayed together for several hours, mourning the loss of a brother and a son and whatever friends they had had within the palace. When the ponies’ tears had been spent and their tales told, Patina and Azure Glimmer excused themselves; they had been awake for nearly twenty hours and desperately needed sleep. Promising to visit every day, they returned home, leaving Twilight alone in her bed.


“Alright. One last time,” she told herself. “If it explodes again, I’m just gonna go to sleep.”

By now, the hospital room looked very similar to her library back in Ponyville whenever she entered one of her more intense study sessions, only more chaotic. Books lay scattered everywhere, bent and bruised from several collisions with walls, ceilings and floors. The top book on the dwindling stack to her right began glowing with Twilight’s magic as she began carefully exerting her telekinesis upon the somewhat fragile paperback. As gently as she had ever done anything before in her life, she began lifting the book.

And tore it in half.

With a frustrated scream, she set the volume on fire and compressed the mass of paper until only a solid lump of charcoal remained. She slumped against her pillow for the fifteenth time that hour and sighed deeply.

“No! I’m not giving up!” she told herself sternly. Her gaze returned to the twenty books beside her.

Alright. Telekinesis obviously isn’t working out for me right now, no matter what I try. But it’ll return to normal later. Hopefully. I need to try a different approach. Perhaps a modified Come to Life spell…

Again, Twilight directed her magic at the stack of books, focusing on a large tome. She carefully began weaving a complex spell around the book, making absolutely sure she wasn’t making any mistakes. She had been careless with the spell during her first Winter Wrap Up, and that had had disastrous consequences. She could only imagine what would happen when her magic was as empowered and out of control as it was now. It was all she could do to hope that she wouldn’t make the book permanently sentient or something like that.

After a minute of concentration, the unicorn finished, and the book immediately lifted itself into the air by a few inches.

I can’t lift a book, but the book itself can, Twilight thought sourly to herself as the tome slowly made its way to the unicorn with a few jerky movements, coming to a standstill in front of her face. After a moment, the book adjusted its position so it was at a comfortable reading distance from the unicorn.

“The Principles of Fusion – The Miracle of the Sun,” she managed to read aloud to herself before the book flipped open. “Really? That’s the book I get to read?” Convincing herself that anything would be better than nothing, she allowed the book to flip ahead a few pages to the actual content, finally allowing her to read.